Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
K
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
K
im considering buying a model 700 SPS stainless in .308. i own a walnut/blued tikka which i do like but lately i seem to reach for my old 700 .270 more when i hunt. also wanting something in stainless. has the quality on the Remingtons really gone down lately? i got my 270 back in the late 90's and ive never had any issues and its shoots great. just curious about the newer ones. obviously i plan on immediately replacing the stock and probably trigger

BP-B6

V
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V
Picked up a Remington 700 SPS in 308 last year from my LGS. I bought it right before closing and did not look the rifle over closely before laying down my cash. When I got home I removed the bolt and was getting ready to clean it when I noticed the front of the bolt had a crack in it. Not sure how it passed through QC but it did. LGS took care of me and replaced it with a new one the next day.

The replacement worked fine but was not as accurate as I had hoped a 308 would be. The kicker was when a friend came over and we both shot circles around it with his new Ruger American in 30-06.

Here is a pic of the bolt as it came out of the brand new 700.

[Linked Image]

"Never stand and take a charge...charge them too."

--- General Nathan Bedford Forrest, CSA
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
If that is brand new, it looks like the LGS or someone else used it before it was brand new. The bolt face is showing quite a bit of brass accumulation from cartridges.

It's official. I missed the selfie deadline so I'm Maser's sock puppet because rene and the Polish half of the fubar twins have decided that I am.

ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ μολὼν λαβέ
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Wasn't to happy with the last SPS I bought. Handled a a Mountain SS last week at my LGS, the bolt was hard to lift, very hard, the other Mountain SS I handled was fine.

V
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V
Originally Posted by BayouRover
If that is brand new, it looks like the LGS or someone else used it before it was brand new. The bolt face is showing quite a bit of brass accumulation from cartridges.

Nope, the rifle was brand new. If it was used Remington sent it to the LGS that way. I watched the clerk cut the box open so the problem was with Remington QC, not the local store.

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
My brother bought a SPS Varmint in 308. It shoots right with my 308 5r Mil Spec. I just bought an ADL in 7 Rem Mag I hope to have time to shoot this weekend but the trigger adjusted to just under 3 pounds and the bolt lugs appear to be making even contact so I'm optimistic.

Last edited by 28lx; 11/26/15.
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
Ive bought had a dozen of them, and have been happy with them all. Granted, I bought them as donors and 'modified' them, but i used a number of the original barrels, and have no complaints.

The triggers sucked though,and were all replaced before shooting.

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by VAhuntr
Picked up a Remington 700 SPS in 308 last year from my LGS. I bought it right before closing and did not look the rifle over closely before laying down my cash. When I got home I removed the bolt and was getting ready to clean it when I noticed the front of the bolt had a crack in it. Not sure how it passed through QC but it did. LGS took care of me and replaced it with a new one the next day.

The replacement worked fine but was not as accurate as I had hoped a 308 would be. The kicker was when a friend came over and we both shot circles around it with his new Ruger American in 30-06.

[Linked Image]

Try as I might, I cannot see a crack on that bolt face....enlighten me! smile

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by ingwe
Ive bought had a dozen of them, and have been happy with them all. Granted, I bought them as donors and 'modified' them, but i used a number of the original barrels, and have no complaints.

All of mine so far have had the triggers replaced with Timneys. I'll see how this X Mark works out but in the past if I could get one adjusted to a decent weight it never felt consistent.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M

I've been happy with mine. The trigger sucked and I took a chance with a spring from Ernie the Gunsmith, so far so good. They are $6.95 and worth ever penny.

IC B3

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B

Nope, the rifle was brand new. If it was used Remington sent it to the LGS that way. I watched the clerk cut the box open so the problem was with Remington QC, not the local store.

Nothing in factory rifles comes directly from the manufacturer to your LGS. They all go through a distributorship where your LGS gets them from.

It's official. I missed the selfie deadline so I'm Maser's sock puppet because rene and the Polish half of the fubar twins have decided that I am.

ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ μολὼν λαβέ
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by MagMarc

I've been happy with mine. The trigger sucked and I took a chance with a spring from Ernie the Gunsmith, so far so good. They are $6.95 and worth ever penny.

+1

I was Remington's biggest fan for the best value in rifles and out-of-the-box accuracy. My first centerfire was an ADL in 270. Piled game up with that gun. Still one of my most accurate, customs included. Then I boycotted Remington for quite a few years. The reason I tried Tikka was because of Remington's seemingly endless recalls. When Remington came out with an 8 twist 260, I caved and tried one. The post-recall trigger was easily worked down to 2.5 pounds, and the gun loves accubonds. Once I determined the gun was a keeper, I bedded it in a McSwirly and had it cerekoted. It has become one of my favorites.

[Linked Image]

Nut

Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny.

Thomas Jefferson

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
The metal begins to rust once the clouds start to form, fyi.

V
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V

[Linked Image]

Would be happy to enlighten you! grin Not the bolt face but the leading edge of the bolt(one of the "3 rings of steel") at about the 10 o'clock position.

Last edited by VAhuntr; 11/26/15.

V
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V

Nothing in factory rifles comes directly from the manufacturer to your LGS. They all go through a distributorship where your LGS gets them from.

The local gun store sent all their 700's back to Remington for the trigger recall. This one was one of the first rifles that they received back. The distributor was not involved in the recall process.

Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle

[Linked Image]

Would be happy to enlighten you! grin Not the bolt face but the leading edge of the bolt(one of the "3 rings of steel") at about the 10 o'clock position.

Thanks. But the old eyes still aren't picking it up. Maybe I 'had to be there'.... grin

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Crack is from 9 to 10 o'clock following the curve of the bolt. Helps to pull the pic and then enlarge but once seen, is never unseen.

No fear, no doubt, all in, balls out.

"America"
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
I see where you mean. I just checked one of mine...it doesn't have that curved "V" shaped thingy eek

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
the last couple sps stainless 700's I bought were not very good. eventually replaced everything but the action and re-barreled that one twice, and still unacceptable accuracy, so it is getting replaced with a stiller action and a third barrel, and nothing but the bottom metal is left from the original.

that miserable thing has cost me a lot of money...

the other one I just traded towards something else, no point in throwing good money after bad any more.

I do own 2 respectable 700's but they are older.

and I do rub elbows with a lot of competitive rifle shooters who have provided a lot of help trying to get the two suspects to shoot like they should be able to.

Last edited by cowpoke; 11/27/15.
K
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
K
Originally Posted by cowpoke
the last couple sps stainless 700's I bought were not very good. eventually replaced everything but the action and re-barreled that one twice, and still unacceptable accuracy, so it is getting replaced with a stiller action and a third barrel, and nothing but the bottom metal is left from the original.

that miserable thing has cost me a lot of money...

the other one I just traded towards something else, no point in throwing good money after bad any more.

I do own 2 respectable 700's but they are older.

and I do rub elbows with a lot of competitive rifle shooters who have provided a lot of help trying to get the two suspects to shoot like they should be able to.

man i hate to hear that. starting to think about looking at something else now. maybe a ruger. hate that remingtons qc has gone downhill. my 90s ADL .270 is a great shooter and my fav rifle

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
709 members (222Sako, 10gaugemag, 222ND, 16penny, 160user, 12344mag, 76 invisible), 2,728 guests, and 1,371 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,626
Posts18,398,718
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.