Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
#10731194 11/27/15
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I'm just not too familiar with them. I hear great things but what sets them apart and what do they compare to?

BP-B2

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
If you measure rifle scopes by optical quality and light weight, there isn't much to get excited about - SWFA SS's are heavy and there glass/coatings are middle of the pack for the price point.

If you measure optics by durability, retained zero, returning to zero, accurate reticles turrets that track reliably over and over again, and range of tracking, then SWFA SS's are about the best bargain available.

David

Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
Was wondering the same as Drummond...thanks for the explanation C9...

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by Canazes9
If you measure rifle scopes by optical quality and light weight, there isn't much to get excited about - SWFA SS's are heavy and there glass/coatings are middle of the pack for the price point.

If you measure optics by durability, retained zero, returning to zero, accurate reticles turrets that track reliably over and over again, and range of tracking, then SWFA SS's are about the best bargain available.

David

Are you saying that holds over all the SS price points which do vary quite a bit?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If you measure optics by durability, retained zero, returning to zero, accurate reticles turrets that track reliably over and over again, and range of tracking, then SWFA SS's are about THE best bargain available.

+1

They're currently having a Black Friday sale. Fixed 6x & 10x for under 260 and a 1-4 with illuminated reticle for under 300 are fantastic bargains.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Only thing I would add is the excellent customer service from Chris Farris and his crew, in the unlikely event that you have an issue.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by huntsonora
I'm just not too familiar with them. I hear great things but what sets them apart and what do they compare to?

Me too....

They seem to be the rage right now and it makes me wonder if I'm missing the boat by not getting in on the Black Friday sale or wait 6 months until they start showing up in the classifieds.

Thanks for the info C9 and Fos.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I.

David

that to me is what matters most.what good is a scope you can trust mechanically it can have glass made by god but if the mechanicals cant be trust what is the point. I will take cheap glass and robust mechanicals any day.

the one thing about the SS series is they are marketed primarily to the tactical crowd. Most of them are mil scopes with ffp reticles. not ideal for hunting nor are the fixed pwer scopes. i am going to get a 20x model for load development

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Chris Ferris, owner of SWFA has come up with some gems over the years.

You, me, or anyone else can go to an optics maker, give them your specs and price point and they will contract to produce scopes.

About 20 years ago, he took a Swaro and a Schmidt & Bender to Hakko, a Japanese optics maker. They produce any thing from medical grade microscopes to binos and rifle scopes. Told them to reverse engineer the German scopes and come up with something that approaches them at a much lower price. He got them made and sold them under the brand Tasco Eurscope/Titan. This was when George Rosenfield still owned Tasco.

These were first called Tasco Euroscopes, then they they had a revision and became Titans. I have several and have hunted in the US, Europe, Africa, and Argentina with them and never had a failure with any of them. They still sell for several hundreds bucks used on Ebay when they come up. People who have had them love them.

The Super Sniper line came out of Tasco putting in a bid for a military contract for a sniper scope. Rosenfield had the specs drawn up, the scopes made and submitted for the military contract. The scope faired well, but was not ultimately chosen.

Rosenfield sold Tasco to Celestron, who lost interest in riflescopes of quality and contracted all the lines out to China, and hense the Walmart reputation of what was once a decent scope for the cash (Tasco Worldclass Japan).

Farris knew that Hakko was sitting on a design for a very rugged scope, and went to them and contracted a run of them. No marketing expense, no advertising expense, no middle men all equals a $1200 scope for $300.

I have a 6 X 42 Super Sninper and think it is great. It is heavy, the turrets protrude more than I'd like on a sporting rifle, but so what'I think the summation by C9 about is accurate. I think a little more of the lens coatings than he, but not enough to pick a fight.

So there you go...

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by mathman

David

Are you saying that holds over all the SS price points which do vary quite a bit?

I haven't seen every scope they make, but in general, yes I think it's true. Top quality glass and coatings are very expensive, often only providing minor incremental improvements in optic quality - that's not where SWFA spent their money.

I'm not saying their glass sucks, its pretty good. But if you had $600 to spend and want the best glass you can get in a 3-9x42, the SWFA SS isn't it. Same is true for their 3-15x42. I haven't looked through their 5-20x50. I hear the glass is quite good, but again, I'm betting that if you spent that kind of money and were only concerned with optical quality you could do slightly better for the money.

David

IC B3

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
The one I have is a 6x42. It looks pretty darn clear for a $299 scope, and that's on top of its mechanical virtues. I've not tried the models you mentioned.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by mathman
The one I have is a 6x42. It looks pretty darn clear for a $299 scope, and that's on top of its mechanical virtues. I've not tried the models you mentioned.

Agreed on the 6x42 being excellent for the money. In my opinion, it is the absolute value leader in the SWFA SS line.

David

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Mechanically they are one of the two most solid scopes lines made. The other being Nightforce. They work.

Have had dozens of SWFA's on the range, on hunting rifles and at work. The fixed powers optically are similar to Leupold VX2. The 3-9x42mm is closer to VX3 and the 5-20x HD model has fantastic resolution and color rendition and is very, very bright. .

Having said that, "glass" is the least important feature of a scope as they are aiming devices, not bird watching devices, and for what matters in a scope, they are at the top of the heap.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Nothing else like them. SWFA is giving the little guy the chance to run an absolutely reliable scope for just three bills. I've tried the 3-9, a 6x, and the 10x. The 10X w/Mil Quad for open country sold me completely on the scope and reticle. Zero complaint about "glass" or weight for what it does. Easy resale used.... Originally thought the MilDot might be best but the MQ is great. For any application one would want to dial for distance, these are the heavy duty bargain of the industry. That's why so many guys are ditching the other stuff to run them. That's why folks in the know, right here on the Fire, not just mall ninjas, are saying "buy SWFA!". The offers of 20% and 25% off already awesome prices is like Mr Farris handing you cash just to try them.

Dead nuts reliable FFP MIL/MIL for $300 $260 with rings and bubble level! With a forever warranty and an easy resale value of, well $260. What is there to loose?
[Linked Image]

Or the 3-9x42 FFP Mil Quad for $450 right now.
[Linked Image]

Or the Illuminati 1-4x24 for $300!
[Linked Image]

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Take it from someone new to dialing.....the 6X42 MQ is not hard to like.

After tutorial from Big Stick, less than 30 rounds under it with two loads and both loads are finding a 6" bull at 600 yards.

That's using either the reticle,or the turrets.Tracking is very good,reliable.

Maybe I'm less fussy but I find that the optics don't require any apologies.My eyes are 65 years old.

I've been having so much fun at 600 yards I have not even gotten around to the ritual of shooting "groups" at 100 yards. Frankly, who needs it? smile

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I wouldn't say the glass is middle of the road. I have a 5-20HD and it is very nice optically. Tough as they come.

You don't buy a SS for the "glass". You buy it for durability and repeatability. You could go buy a new Zeiss Terra and it would have better glass than a 6X SS but which will have the durability to not let you down when you need it? And I own a Terra 3-9.

Look at all the leupold threads on here. They regularly go TU and people complain. Not many out on the WWW about a SS. There are some but not many.

I will leave you this. On Snipers Hide one of the mods (who competes regularly) ditched his highend scopes, night forces and S&Bs, when the SS 5-20HD came out. Not sure if he has kept them or switched again but he felt there was a better mouse trap with the SS.

Talking to you is like trying to nail jello to the wall.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Thanks guys! Dogshooter swears by them and I trust his judgement completely but wanted a better explanation I guess

That being said, what would you guys recommend for my 260 that will be used shooting anything g from coyotes to deer in relatively open country

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Thanks guys! Dogshooter swears by them and I trust his judgement completely but wanted a better explanation I guess

That being said, what would you guys recommend for my 260 that will be used shooting anything g from coyotes to deer in relatively open country

I am using the 3 x 15 for hunting. Killed a lot of coyotes and several deer now and it works great. Rock solid adjustments and return to zero. Had one on my 243 for a year and a half now in the truck almost every day using it for work. One hunt into the Bob Marshall wilderness on horses. Through it all I have had to adjust my scope 1 horizontal click at 200yds.lots of twisting on the knobs too. Pretty reliable.

V
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
V
10x MQ would fit the bill nicely.

I have run quite a few of the SS series. I had the 5x20 HD and loved it, perfect corrections and great glass. My 3x9s have middle of the pack glass but the most important feature of a scope is holding zero and tracking. If these were binos or a spotting scope I would be disappointed but I have never had them let me down in the field.

I have a pair of 1x4 coming, one for the AR and the other for the .35 Whelen. I am down to only two non SWFA scopes as of now.

Hunt hard, kill clean, waste nothing and offer no apologies.

"In rifle work, group size is of some interest...but it is well to remember that a rifleman does not shoot groups, he shoots shots." Jeff Cooper

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
I need to order one but sorry I'm going the MOA route, my brain has been too wired for that for the past decade.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
V
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
V
I had done moa for years and fought mils hard. In less than 30 minutes at a range I was done and started converting over, so much easier to count by tens.

Hunt hard, kill clean, waste nothing and offer no apologies.

"In rifle work, group size is of some interest...but it is well to remember that a rifleman does not shoot groups, he shoots shots." Jeff Cooper

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
I hear you, I'm not committed to switch over everything.

W
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
W
Just checked the SWFA site.. No phone #, do you have to register in order to buy??

Molon Labe
R
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
R
972-726-7348

W
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
W
Thanks robert!!!

Molon Labe
R
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
R
Not a problem. Good luck. Got a few en route myself.

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F

The 6x and 3-9x are the peaches for hunting. The 10x is for play or a truly dedicated open country gun.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

My hands on Super Chicken experience isn't as extensive compared to several that post here. I have and use the fixed 6x & 10x, the 3-15 and now the 1-4 Illuminati. The 1-4 is right at home on an AR-15 and just picked up three more for a 9.3x62mm and a couple more AR-15's.

The 6x is my favorite and if SWFA would add an illuminated reticle it would be the bees knees.

The fixed 10x I just never could really appreciate. If you have wide open spaces, a little more than 10x just seems a little more practical, and admittedly a personal preference. Thus the reason I have a 3-15x42mm.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 260madman
You don't buy a SS for the "glass". You buy it for durability and repeatability.

Absolutely correct. The SWFA line is for aiming, not observation.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Regarding the optical qualities...

I think the 3-9x is pretty good except for tunnel vision on 3x. Set it on 4x and it's good to go. Light transmission, resolution, and glare/flare are really pretty good.

The 20x is dim, but is to be expected with the exit pupil. I no longer own this scope.

The 3-15x is a little disappointing on 15x, but overall it's tough to complain about for the price. I had one for awhile then sold it. I think the SF is a weak point, but haven't heard of any problems.

The 6x and 10x are solid as stated by others. 10x is more of a specialized tool. Several of us ran an informal test and none thought we could get on a mover as fast as we'd like. My 10x scopes are on play rifles, not hunting rigs. The 6x is a breeze in comparison. An 8x would probably split the diff in the right direction.

My only complaint with the fixed Super Birds is glare on the ocular lens. Under certain conditions, it'll affect the image but it's a simple matter to re-position slightly or block the offending light source. The 3-9x does not suffer this. In no way would this keep me from buying more fixed powers. Nothing comes close as they state, even for more money.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'm interested in the 1-4x24 illuminati's, do I want the classic or the hd?

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Classic

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I just bought my second 1-4 classic. I really don't need 6 power in ga.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage

You'd probably like the 3-9X HD model bestest.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by Steelhead
I hear you, I'm not committed to switch over everything.

I use both and don't understand why people won't do the same.

Travis

My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I'm going to buy one in the 10x.
I've have had a problem getting on board . In my mind I see a young Asian kid chained to a work bench.

Last edited by rickmenefee; 11/27/15.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I decided to give 6x42MQ a try and ordered one yesterday. Additionally, Chris and I exchanged a few emails, and he was very helpful. If I like the scope, great. If not, no biggie, as I have found another optical retailer to add to my "A" list.

Scott

P.S. Thanks BS for turning me on to this scope.

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Originally Posted by rickmenefee
I'm going to buy one in the 10x.
I've have had a problem getting on board . In my mind I see a young Asian kid chained to a work bench.

That's a problem how...

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Do they not make a straight duplex with turrets to spin?

It seems to me that most folks who shoot/hunt LR do so with the aid of a decent electronic rangefinder.

I don't feel the need for both the range finding reticle and the turrets to spin unless one was preparing for electronic rangefinder failure.

What am I missing in my thinking?

*Master of random precision*
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I'm no expert but windage. Wind can change so easier to use the reticle to hold for wind versus constantly twisting knobs especially if you are trying to get a shot off on an animal.

Scott
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
[Linked Image]

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Formidilosus

Having said that, "glass" is the least important feature of a scope as they are aiming devices, not bird watching devices, and for what matters in a scope, they are at the top of the heap.

Bingo. It's a SIGHT, not a viewing or photographic device. I do wish they offered a better hunting reticle.

What fresh Hell is this?
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
[Linked Image]

The Windplex!

Scott
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Originally Posted by Pappy348

Bingo. It's a SIGHT, not a viewing or photographic device. I do wish they offered a better hunting reticle.

More than a few have been uttering that statement for YEARS on the 'Fire. Most blow it off, since jerking off through a Swaro Rifle scope is so much better than something that actually works all the time.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
[Linked Image]

To me, this with just the Turret(s) to spin would suit me just fine. You would have to count clicks up or come up with a CDS dial but it seems ideal with nothing I would not use.

I guess that would be like asking for egg in your beer though.

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
The reticle has nothing to do with rangefinding. It's main use, as stated, is for wind. Having both windage and elevation gives ones options.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by twofish

It seems to me that most folks who shoot/hunt LR do so with the aid of a decent electronic rangefinder.

I don't feel the need for both the range finding reticle and the turrets to spin unless one was preparing for electronic rangefinder failure.

twofish,

Even if you do not use the reticle for wind or elevation hold offs, it is still invaluable for spotting your own shots. This is why you'll find most shooters do not like the big boomers and also why you'll find a lot of brakes and suppressors on the firing lines of any long range shoot.

When I shoot, I'm watching the steel and the surrounding area. If I see a poof of dust on the half-mil-mark to the right of the steel, guess where I need to hold for my next shot?

Easy-peasy.

Same holds for elevation. Your windage call is good, but you see it "poof" at the 1 mil mark below your crosshairs, guess how much more you need to dial?

You trackin'? Get it? Tracking? I made a scope related pun.

GFY.

Clark

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
"Trackin' with Travis," man that should be a TV show with a ground blind and tree stand commercials.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

U
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
U
I'd really like to try a 6X but for the areas I hunt a variable works better. Most of our shots are 250 yards and in and lots of times within 100 yards in dark cover. I think a 6X would be too much in the woods and I'd really prefer to have more magnification for longer shots. For a hunting scope in my area the SWFA doesn't seem to do it for me.

Anyone in the east use one of them effectively?

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by UNCCGrad
I'd really like to try a 6X but for the areas I hunt a variable works better. Most of our shots are 250 yards and in and lots of times within 100 yards in dark cover. I think a 6X would be too much in the woods and I'd really prefer to have more magnification for longer shots. For a hunting scope in my area the SWFA doesn't seem to do it for me.

The Lord has blessed me so I do not have to live in the east, but I would highly recommend you try one. You may find it doesn't inhibit anything. Regardless of AOR.

Travis

U
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
U
Travis, I'd love to move west but lots of family here and it's home so that's not an option. It's still not that bad, being able to catch mountain trout one day and fish bluewater or inshore the next. Hunting sucks compared to out west but we can get into some decent waterfowl action.

I've never been on to twist turrets and have never used ranging reticles to their potential, mainly due to the shorter ranges we hunt. What's the concensus on mil dot vs MQ? I don't have a need for either but the draw is high with the prices this weekend.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by deflave

twofish,

Even if you do not use the reticle for wind or elevation hold offs, it is still invaluable for spotting your own shots. This is why you'll find most shooters do not like the big boomers and also why you'll find a lot of brakes and suppressors on the firing lines of any long range shoot.

When I shoot, I'm watching the steel and the surrounding area. If I see a poof of dust on the half-mil-mark to the right of the steel, guess where I need to hold for my next shot?

Easy-peasy.

Same holds for elevation. Your windage call is good, but you see it "poof" at the 1 mil mark below your crosshairs, guess how much more you need to dial?

GFY.

Clark

Great explanation here. I'd also add that with a SS you can literally dial the windage or elevation accordingly from the measurement of target to the miss and trust the tracking to match. That is such a huge thing. You cannot do the same thing with a standard duplex with any precision.

Screw you! I'm voting for Trump again!

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the 24HCF.
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Travis, I'd love to move west but lots of family here and it's home so that's not an option. It's still not that bad, being able to catch mountain trout one day and fish bluewater or inshore the next. Hunting sucks compared to out west but we can get into some decent waterfowl action.

I've never been on to twist turrets and have never used ranging reticles to their potential, mainly due to the shorter ranges we hunt. What's the concensus on mil dot vs MQ? I don't have a need for either but the draw is high with the prices this weekend.

The MQ is more precise but I like the standard mil dot just fine. But it is much "coarser" than the MQ.

Based on what you described I'd give the 1-4X a whirl and see if you like it. It has all the features you could want to try out in one scope. Ranging reticle, MQ reticle, and turrets.

I was going to buy one myself but somebody shot my truck and I ended up needing four new tires. You can visit here any time. Everybody loves meeting me.

Hope this helps.

Travis

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Nightforce for the win!

(sorry, couldn't resist.)

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Just for info, looks like pretty much all the fixed powers are sold out

Campfire Member
Campfire Member

The MQ is more precise but I like the standard mil dot just fine. But it is much "coarser" than the MQ.

Based on what you described I'd give the 1-4X a whirl and see if you like it. It has all the features you could want to try out in one scope. Ranging reticle, MQ reticle, and turrets.

I was going to buy one myself but somebody shot my truck and I ended up needing four new tires. You can visit here any time. Everybody loves meeting me.

Hope this helps.

Travis

I don't think the person who shot your truck liked meeting you.

The 1-4 looks like the tits for hunting. I almost squeezed the trigger on one, but decided that even 300 clams is more than I can shell out right now.

This isn't 'Nam Donny, there are RULES...
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by NH_Sharpshooter

In fact, Shrapnel is quite fond of Travis.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by NH_Sharpshooter

Don't be ridiculous.

Clark

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J

yea I guess but its a Meopro fixed 6X with a #4 so it can be done here in the east. I just bought another SWFA 1-4, I like the big bugger in the middle of the windshield for shooting in the woods at 25 yard deer, then it can be used for other stuff as well.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Good stuff, however, Hakko doesn't make the SS scopes

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by dogcatcher223
Nightforce for the win!

(sorry, couldn't resist.)

I agree, if they were four times cheaper!!

You did not "seen" anything, you "saw" it.
A "creek" has water in it, a "crick" is what you get in your neck.
Liberals with guns are nothing but hypocrites.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

twofish,

Easy-peasy.

GFY.

Clark

That makes good sense Clark.

Thanks for the explanation.

twofish

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The reticle has nothing to do with rangefinding. It's main use, as stated, is for wind. Having both windage and elevation gives ones options.

I was mixing up the Illuminati reticle with the MQ after looking at the pics poster on pg. 1.

Thanks

Campfire Member
Campfire Member

6X is not too much power.

I want to love the 6X milquad, but the 3-9 reticle is slightly easier to see at 6X. Side by side, the 3-9 works just a bit better in the thick stuff, and at the beginning and end of legal light. I usually leave it set at 6X.Maybe it is just the samples I have, but the reticle seems darker, or maybe it focuses better in the 3-9.

I've shot several whitetail with the 3-9, and one with the fixed 6. If the reticle was a tiny bit thicker or illuminated, it would be perfect. I think the 3-9 is perfect.

Last edited by Crowkiller; 11/29/15.

TANSTAAFL
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by TXRam

Yep. I tried for a 10x Friday morning, and they were all gone.

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Did you retards choose the ring height and add it to the cart before pulling the plug?

Travis

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

I have a Fixed 6 MQ on my Montana.

Hunting upper midwest whitetails.

1. The turrets do not move unless you want them to. It takes moving them by hand. They'll not spin otherwise.

2. 6x is fine close and far. I was a dyed in the wool 3-9 kinda guy. LOVE the fixed 6 now.

It's under 100 to the dark swampline. Deer walk the edge and a trail about 1/2 way between camera and the edge. No issues acquiring a firing solution so to speak on either.

[Linked Image]

Bout 50 to the edge here - deer trail along a creek. That's an old logging road in front. Trail goes right to left along a creek to high ground in a swamp.

[Linked Image]

220 to the dark hole left of the center line of trees. Deer typically present right at the edge at 220 or at about 165 yards on the left 1/2 of the pic. No issues at dusk determining antlers or shoulders to fire on.

[Linked Image]

No issues at all with the fixed 6 and critters in any of them.
Yesterday I was holding on a fork horn at 12 yards with it in the same place as the top picture.

Glass wise - I can sight well enough, late enough that a shot would probably elicit a raised eyebrow from more than one person - given the ambient light.

Can't say enough about the 1 I own and it's made a believer out of those I've let sight/use it. The tracking on it is spot on.

Me

I
Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
I
Originally Posted by tex_n_cal
Originally Posted by TXRam

Yep. I tried for a 10x Friday morning, and they were all gone.

What Deflave said! I ordered a 10X MQ yesterday morning. It took a minute to navigate to the point where I could choose a ring set and properly check out.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Did you retards choose the ring height and add it to the cart before pulling the plug?

Travis

Bah too much turkey the day before. I was hung over smirk

but not good instructions on their site, either. You have to click the little blue "More Details" link, under the big orange "Add to Cart" button, before it will let you select the ring height, which then allows you to "Add to Cart"

Hit Add to Cart too soon, it just tells you the scope is not available.

So I now have a 10x42 on order, thanks Travis smile

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Okay, so what height rings for a 6x going on a bolt action?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Weaver style 2 piece or rail? Rail could go with low and still clear the bolt handle. 2 piece weaver may be too low.

Searching other sites might get you the answer. Most just go mediums. I run Seekins lows on a 20 MOA base and my 700 bolt clears the ocular.

Talking to you is like trying to nail jello to the wall.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Two-piece warne/weaver base.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I went low - with a Remington 700 short action I will go with a full rail, and it should clear at that point.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
711 members (10gaugemag, 160user, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 10Glocks, 76 invisible), 2,695 guests, and 1,311 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,682
Posts18,399,706
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.