Hop To
n007 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular

BP-B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Lima Company Rangers. They were the 101st Airborne Divisions Ranger Company. I had some friends in that unit. Good Troopers. My heartfelt Salute to the Canadians who fought with us in Vietnam.

Be afraid,be VERY VERY afraid
ad triarios redisse
My Buddy eh76 speaks authentic Frontier Gibberish!
[Linked Image]
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
n007;
Thank you for the link and interesting read sir, I appreciate you taking the time to post it.

I've worked with at least one Canadian who served in Vietnam, but as with many vets he didn't talk about it and out of respect I didn't ask.

There was a story on CBC radio a few years back about this and they interviewed a chap who'd grown up in the interior here and just walked across into Oroville whereupon he picked up a young American's draft notice and became him so to speak when he presented himself to the appropriate branch.

As I recall he said there wasn't much work and his home life was poor, so he welcomed a change - any change - and most certainly got that by going in country for I believe two tours.

The interesting thing with that chap was that if I recall correctly, after he got out, he walked back across the medicine line and resumed his life as a Canadian.

Doing so of course meant no pension or any other VA benefits.

Anyway sir, thanks again for the read, all the best to you folks and good luck on any remaining hunts.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Worked with a fellow years ago, he had been a tunnel rat, also did not talk about it, sadly if I recall correctly cancer got him, something to do with what he was exposed to while fighting there.
Guys that knew him say he was never the same, and had a hair trigger, he was deeply affected by his time there.

"The 375HH is the greatest level of power you can get for the investment in recoil." (JJHack)
79s and losttrail, biggest waste of air.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
back when I was in the service, I took the weekend off and went up to Vancouver BC...

stayed at the Youth Hostel there... and met two Canucks a little older than me.. they had become good friends, due to the fact that they had both crossed the border and joined the Marines to fight in Vietnam...

me being American and serving in the Army, they were real very respectful toward me... I was the same in return, but I was proud to have met both of these gentlemen...

my time working in Canada, when doing work with Canadian veteran organizations, I was always treated with respect by the Canadian Veterans that I was doing work with...

Several times we did project for Canadian Veterans Homes....

We ended up getting the bids, and our competitors were really complaining to the client, that they had gone 'with an American'... instead of them being Canadians.. and were appealing the bid on that basis...

Each time the response from the client was...The American is representing a Canadian company... and even if he was representing an American Company, he still was the most sensitive to what our needs actually were... and he could relate to them better... besides, he's a veteran also... your company's people weren't...

I was always treated very well by fellow veterans in Canada...and was ALWAYS welcomed at a Canadian Legion Hall, even if I had just stopped by for a soda and to use their men's room...

on this Day, I sincerely and respectfully salute each and every Canadian Veterans....

IC B2

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Seafire=bloody good Yank, always respectful and friendly to we Canucks.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I did a month at NTC in Fort Irwin this summer. One of the instructors was a Major on loan from the Canadian Army. The guy knew his stuff and has my utmost respect.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
My grandpa was born in Ontario but after his mothers death and father leaving went to New York to live with an aunt. He tried for years to get his US citizenship but it wasn't until he was in the US Army during WWII that the Army shipped him across the border (for some reason) handed him his citizenship papers and had him enter the country he was willing to fight and die for as a citizen.

I spent a great evening outside of Manchester UK drinking Glenmorangie and talking to Lancaster pilot. An evening I'll never forget. His affection for America was as deep as mine for him.

Sorry to be off topic a bit but my appreciation for Canadians, Brits and Australians and their friendship to the country I love is enormous. Tough, capable warriors!

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Seafire

... even if I had just stopped by for a soda and to use their men's room...

Up here it's a "pop" not a "soda". wink

SS

"To be glad of life because it gives you a chance to love and to work and to play and to look up at the stars. To be satisfied with your possessions but not content with yourself until you have made the best of them."
-Henry Van Dyke
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Along with others, My heartfelt thanks to the Canadians that were there and those that made it possible. I never ran into any, just a few Aussies and a lot of Korean ROK's. miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
IC B3

W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
I recall reading some years ago that up to 50,000 Canadians joined the U.S. military during the Viet Nam era.

I did meet one Brit who had joined the U.S.A.F.

The OP was somewhat confusing. I think/thought all members of the U.S. armed forces, regardless of nationality, who were killed , were on the memorial.

Last edited by websterparish47; 11/18/15.
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
A lot of good Canadian boys went to Nam for a lot of reasons, good and bad. Some tried to go and got turned down; I was one of them. Some went and never came home, and my friend was one of them.

In the early 70's in the Calgary-Banff corridor the guys working construction, trucks, horses, mountain guiding, and so forth was a pretty international bunch. I met a guy who dated a gal I knew well, he had been a French para who joined the US forces when he got out and did a couple tours in Nam. He worked as a mountain guide for a while... he was the real deal. Helluva climber. Died in a fall while ice-climbing, IIRC. Not many draft-dodgers in that area in those days.

"I'm gonna have to science the schit out of this." Mark Watney, Sol 59, Mars
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I use to go up to Quebec a lot in those days....

I always thought it was funny, what the French Term was for Draft Dodger...

L' Draft Dodger...

being a college aged kid at the time, I was often asked when up there if I was a Draft Dodger...

Vous Le Draft Dodger n'cest pas?

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Never could understand why they were let into the country.
Jim

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
in my time, Trudeau was busy running things... I am sure that is a big reason why....

Quebec was real easy to escape to...

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
During my 24 years of American military service I met a couple of hundred Canadians. And those are just the ones that told me they were Canadian. Unless a Canadian was from Quebec, he'd blend right in. So who knows how many I served with?

Please don't forget about the Americans who enlisted in Canada before Germany declared war on the USA.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by idahoguy101
During my 24 years of American military service I met a couple of hundred Canadians. And those are just the ones that told me they were Canadian. Unless a Canadian was from Quebec, he'd blend right in. So who knows how many I served with?

Please don't forget about the Americans who enlisted in Canada before Germany declared war on the USA.

Hopefully we don't forget any who served in conflicts. I had an old uncle who went over to South Africa c.1900 with the Canadians, then to Europe in the Great War.

If there isn't a gun range in heaven, then I'm going to hell!

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
692 members (10ring1, 10gaugemag, 12308300, 007FJ, 10Glocks, 06hunter59, 81 invisible), 2,767 guests, and 1,308 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,634
Posts18,398,904
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.