Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 17 1 2 3 4 5 16 17
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by cnyarcher
Hey guys , Anyone making a compact(18-20" barrel) centerfire with removable magazine? Thanks!

Ruger Scout.

Mine has a 16.1" barrel but they offer 18". Wouldn't trade mine for an 18-incher as I like the more compact version but to each their own.

Finally finished load development with mine, took the scope off and remounted the factory peep. Got 3-round and 5-round synthetic mags for it, which fit better, are quieter and suit my needs better.

Yes, it loses anywhere from 100-180fps compared to 22" barrels. I didn't buy it for long range but it loves 130g TTSX and flings them out at 2868fps with CFE223 and 150g BT run 2699fps with Varget. 208g A-MAX hit 2296 with Varget. These suit my needs as I won't be shooting past 300 with the peep.

mine has the laminate stock but i plan to call Ruger and see what a synthetic would cost me now that they are offered.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
BP-B6

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by longdog
I shot a whitetail doe on Saturday with a 6x45. She was 130#, really big for where I was hunting. The 80 Ttsx impacted the front shoulder on a quartering towards me shot with an estimated impact velocity of about 2400 fps. Result was a complete, over the top, back flip, drt. Pretty neat to be able to watch the whole thing perfectly through the scope.

I use a 6-222RM aka 6X47 but have a slow twist barrel on it, I have difficulty shooting heavier than 70 grains. The 105 grain looks impressive on paper at least. It's carrying the same energy at 300 yds that my 70 grain bullet has at 100 yds, even with a 500 fps difference at the muzzle in speed. While the 70 grain has been working for me for nearly a decade, the 105 and .500 BC just appears to be "mo betta".

So I imagine a faster twist is in my future, just don't know if I'm going X45 or X47 again. My current dies overwork the brass and I have to anneal the brass to keep it from splitting. So since I'll be buying new dies again I might just give up some case for simplicity.

G
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G
Another compact, but no detachable mag.......

[Linked Image]

Remington model 7 in 6 x 47.

Due to the nature of the terrain where I hunt, I typically reach for something 6.5 or larger, but I'm thinking I might try these as the 6 x 45 in the AR has a 1 in 9 twist. The Remington and the Cooper, both in 6 x 47 have a 10 twist.

[Linked Image]

I'm gonna give the 80 gr. TTSX a try in both. As I'm a short range meat hunter, they just might work up close and personal with CNS shots. I do luv it when them hoglets drop and paddle.

JAPPFT,

GWB

A Kill Artist. When I draw, I draw blood.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
taylor',

It's never been a "secret" that you are a Gang member. Congratulations?!?

Only fair to offer like opportunity for The Do Nothing Gang,to grab hold of as much slack on the rope as they dare...then watch The Show and await fresh Excuses and more Whining. Fantasy reliably collides with Reality and despite epic efforts,Imagination and Pretend are never gonna become "real". On the bright side however,it is priced in accordance for all to "contribute". Laughing!

Boolits matter more than headstamps and when twist,throat and COAL latitude meld by default,great things happen inherently. Hint.

The 6x45 has only whacked a coupla Bucks for curious pards and I'm happy to hand it to folks who are lookin' to slam Meat. Personally,I'm not looking to kill a Buck,but rather THE Buck and them differences are well beyond stark. Hint.

Now a not so curious byproduct of less than Warp Nine impact velocities,is that the reliable projectile threshold horizon,broadens in non-lineal fashion. Will the 270 zook a 105 A-Max at hair singin' engagement distances? Nope. Will the 270 refrain from musclin' a 105 THROUGH Critters,at distances that trouble The Gang? Nope. Why?! Because the rotational velocity and impact velocity windows,are well within the RELIABILITY spectrum of a farrrrrrrrrrrrrr wider range of projectiles. Do the Laser Fhuqking Beam and Babiest Montucky,tax like boolits in dissimilar fashion. Ummmmmm...fhuqk yes. Hint.

Nothing matters more than boolits. Re-hint.

Now as to the 6x47(.378" version),it's an easy pass due to logistics. Too much STELLAR 223 brass from which to choose and it's nice havin' 25,000+ pieces on hand for fueling fires.

Easy to feed same,ala DBM.

Left to right: AM 5-rounders have no peer even in 17Rem with 25 'Max(but 75A-Max 223AI form load illustrated for comparison too),MDT 10rd poly's(270/105's) are VASTLY superior to AICS's attempt at same(6BR/105's).

[Linked Image]

Hint....................

'dog,

I've only gotta 'bout 425rds through the Baby 270 so far and no matter the engagement distance,trace/impact are impossible to miss through the 6x MQ glass. That all pokes are 105's,goes without sayin'. Just sayin'. It be a Crowd Pleaser and all who've gunned it,crave same.

One would have to hit a HOG Bear quartering to or away and punch a shoulder or a hip in transit,to have ANY hope of projectile retention,within the confines of said victim.

Them ain't bad "odds" for a 105 A-Max.

Hint.................

'Hunter,

The poly Scout mags are purty dismal in both their relative Robustitude and COALtitude. I'd not use 'em for anything on a .473" 308 lengthed chambering,but they do nice thangs on the abbreviated 22-250AI.

I gun 'em aboard my #4 fluted Krieger 23" 22-250AI,to feed 75A-Max smooches at 3450fps+.

[Linked Image]

The Loudtitude of a 16" .473" 308 lengthed chambering,is nothing to swoon and adding inches do decibel favors. 18" helps,but 20" really do change the mannerisms. Have gunned lotsa XP-100's in said chamberings in both 14"(OEM) and 15"(Custom) spouts,as well as a goodly herd of MBR's,Levers,Trombones,Sportin' Self-Shuckers and even fhuqking Single Shots.

Ruger's OEM laminates trump all things in their Injection attempts,as ergo's can easily be sculpted to perfection and the subsequent bedding,bein' more than a touch responsive in the veneer versions.

The Scout OEM peep is a steaming POS. Reupold 30mm Medium rings mated to an Illuminati,will seal all deals. I hear that a platform that reaps 72 Mils of ele,is more than a touch handy.(grin) Hint.

Aborting OEM poly's and opting real AICS mags,will grant Skinner smooches and connect all dots. You'll reap the BC and mettle,to connect any/all dots,from any/all angle(s) and it don't get warmer or fuzzier than that...even in a fhuqking POS 308.

OEM 308 VSSF spout chopped to handy/dandy,HS Precision 1st Gen DBM(an AICS footprint is the ONLY way to go now,but I've yet to fail a fhuqking 9-ounce S/S HS DBM) and it's at it's best with Skinners.

[Linked Image]

5rd AM mags offer more COAL latitude than real AICS and are handy bitches. Most folks find it easier to rally them,rather than pull plates from their AICS mags.

Can like OEM AICS 5-rounders for 7-08AI 162 smoochtitude.

[Linked Image]

Hint....................

g',

The 6x45 is hosed mightily by inherent default,aboard a Krunchenticker,due simply COAL constraints. 10" is a SCHIT 6mm twist rate and 8" is tough to whoop.

As a Krunchenticker goes,mag selection rates a thunk,due the inherent COAL constraints,which varies widely. The worst offenders are P-Mags,if only because their walls are the thickest.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Tough to trump the illustrated Stoner's 10rd re-badged S/S mags(ASC made),for max COAL utility and they take a lick nicely.

A 18" Wylde Middie will squirt 75's at 2800fps easily and there's nothing in 6mm,which nestles mag confines,that'll whoop it. It prolly don't suck,that Hornie 75 BTHP's are under 20 Clams a can,even when purchased in The Paper Hat Brigade's "volume". Laughing!

75A-Max are doable in a Krunchenticker and obviously bring their .425 BC to The Show at like speeds,as a minimum(their lesser bearing surface,scoots easily). That is of course even more 6mm Doom & Gloom. Hint.

The 243LBC is my next Krunchenticker build,with a BHW LW Rifle Gas contour twisted 8" and wearing a .750" 'block. Roger's SS,CMC flat trigger,Midwest LW tube,rebadged ASC Grendel mags and 105 Hornie HPBT smooches.

It's ALWAYS about connectin' dots.

Hint.

You gals are a Treasure Trove of "info". Rather epic Blast & Blast in the works today,prior to the Monsoons setting the stage for a Chrome Fest in the morn's AM.

GOOD talk.

Laughing!.....................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
G
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G
10/4, B

Among the 60+ chamberings that I have dies for, a few of them are sixes (6's).

[Linked Image]

6 x 45
6 x 47
6BR
243 Win
6-284 come to mind.

Not messed with the 6mm-06, but it ain't over yet.

The 1 in 10 will spin a 100 gr. Partition and
as to mag constraint. I'm partial to wood and most of those "woodies" don't have COAL constraints .........

[Linked Image]

that matter much

[Linked Image]

for the milq-toast stuff I do.

JAPPFT,

GWB

Last edited by geedubya; 11/30/15.

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Big Stick
The RAR 243's are spot on,in regards to twist/throat/COAL.

How does the 7-08 line up?

Hell...Reloading/Shooting are still my favorite things to do,besides play in the box the kids came in.................
F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Sugar tits. Where's the 2000 YRD targets from that 6x45 that you goat fphuck the bases on. Only so you can say it will shoot 2000 show us a target. Can't argue the useful little BLacktail 6 but you clearly stated good to 2000. I say best on deer is 600 yards, targets 1100 and that's with a real trigger man.

Predators like some bison. little ain't he. Mills mills miles lol
Is also really sad to ask a question for a stage to answer said (sad) question.

My little tiny feet. by your standards I should now go wonder around lost in the woods with a sign Complete with date and time and post some pictures of my feet LOL. Stick those tittys out some more. Enough sad (said).

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
BS I bought 500 pieces of new .222 RM brass when I built the rifle. I still have plenty of brass to last a good long time as long as I keep track and anneal. Plus I've had modest success reforming .204 brass so logistics aren't all that difficult. I can't get 204 Lapua, but aren't you using RP hulls tbe same as me anyway?

Well since headstamps don't matter, then it doesn't matter what I used. I'd have done okay with the X45, but I chose the X47 for reasons that only mattered to me. Just like you chose the X45 for reasons onlh you cared about. However, this way I didn't need to touch my modest supply brass for my .223 rifles of which I have just a few.

I know the OP wants it but I neither want or need DBM on my bolt action rifles. I've done quite well within the constraints of the magazine on my Savage, I just botched the twist rate on the barrel of my rifle. Hindsight is 20/20 and I went with an on hand barrel had it contoured, crowned, and chambered on my door step in under two weeks, instead of waiting several weeks for a barrel. A mistake I'll not repeat in the future.

I'm always happy to run out of slack so you can yank me back into my place. I especially don't mind being lumped in with the do nothing gang while I'm sitting on my couch with my leg elevated trying to heal. Broken legs and couches kind of go together you know.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
So, Sugar tits is saying (she speaks in tongues) use a moderate velocity, high BC bullet, sized for the game pursued and it don't need to be premium. Wowee +P+++ what a novel concept.
We all don't chase Sitka's around but the concept is not lost on us window likkers........hint

mmm I have spout in 243 laying around......naw it will make a good jack handle.

Good talk.

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Sugar tits thinks he came up with the whole bullet matter more than head stamps. He missed that boat before he went bald and all the name calling in the world ain't bringing her back to port. [Linked Image]

But he will keep pretending which is a must because if sugar tits ego finds out he is not on the edge of innovation it's back to the Prozac and JD.

2000 yard fn day dreams and 5'4" reality.

Larry remember when you weren't a phfatfphuck didn't think so. Had a friend that lost 45# when he broke his jaw so don't lose hope. 💩👣

Last edited by fredIII; 11/30/15.
IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
g,

I only shoot 8mm Mauser(J) and 30-'06.

The 6-06 that you cite,would be wayyyyyyyyyyyy overbore and loud too!

Laughing!

Been a coupla hours since I've shot one. Too bad it weren't DBM fed,so it were germane to the Thread. Perhaps shoot fredrica a Secret Squirrel PM and let her know that ain't about dialect.

Laughing!

Hurricane/Monsoons today and the 270/105'Max,weren't ascared of 6-06/105 Hornie HPBT's at an extry 775fps and nearly halfa-foot more spout. Hint.

Just sayin'.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

The .243" 100NPT is an absolute Goat Fhuqk POS. Hint.

1-10" is a 6mm joke. Hint.

Living Wood,is amongst the heaviest of concessions. Hint.

CM that ain't at least C/L,is amongst the heaviest of concessions. Hint.

Schit glass,is amongst the heaviest of concessions. Hint.

Schit mounting systems,is amongst the heaviest of concessions. Hint.

COAL latitude,when Twist Chow...is moot. Hint.

Now conjoin all that Stupidity and it once again becomes crystalline clear,on how the Texas Version of everything,is fhuqing HILARIOUS! Bless your heart.

Remember...it's ALL about magnification,barrel contour and bipods.

Laughing!

Keep doing your best,because it IS funnier than fhuqk.

Wow +P++!.....................

'LBS,

Don't fret kissing a 162 'Max in the issued parcel...because you cain't. (grin)

It will however leap well and reliably connect dots,as per it's always.

Hint...................

fredrica,

You are welcome to yell at your computer,as much as you please,then obliviously quantify your INCREDIBLE fhuqking Stupidity,as a "Trump Card". Congratulations?!?

I enjoy how "real" your Imgination and it's Pretend,are to you! You "lucky" bitch! Laughing!

Lemme letcha' in on a leetle "secret":

A given aero form,at a given speed,in a given atmosphere,will reliably require a given amount of erector travel/subtension,with which to reliably align POA/POI intersection,at a given distance. Read that again. Now one more time. Now stomp your itty-bitty feet,hold your breath and scream "that ain't so!"...you AMAZINGLY inept Clueless Kchunt.

It remains a shame,that you are devoid the 13 IQ Points requisite,to garner an inkling to your SENSATIONAL Stupidity.

Looking forward to the next Whine and fresh Excuses,because cameras are REALLY expensive. Groovin' on the Custom Dink Rifle and your unerring Rifle SAVVY.

Laughing!

You go girl!......................

taylor,

The BABY 27O has better than 500 105 A-max through it,as of this moment and is almost 1 week "old". Hint.

I enjoy that you are stumped with copy/paste and when you "think" on your own,how you reliably fhuqk up simplistic FACT. Now pay attention here and see if you can remember it: "Bullets matter more than headstamps". Read it again. Now one more time. Write it down and stash it in a safe place,for your next "try". Laughing!

Perhaps trumpet "modest succes",as a go for the fhuqking throat,no holds barred mechanical "advantage". Laughing! Then conjoin same with a lazy twist rate that precludes all boolits in the diameter,that are worth a fhuqk. Yep...read it again,then again......now write it down. Laughing!

Side by each extrapolations are never not intellesting and I get it,that you Drooling Dumbfhuqks gotta read about it all,instead of doing ANY of it. Bless your hearts.

Just wish there was some DBM's in tow today,on a like casehead. Laughing!

In ascending order: 18" Mike Rock 1-8" 223AI,18.5" 1-8" Bart' 270 OEM duped,20" #2 Liljee 1-9" SAAMI 17Rem.

[Linked Image]

No need to reiterate,that someone who "knows" as "much" as you,is always going to come up shy in spec'ing a rifle blueprint...because that's how you "get" into The Do Nothing Gang to start with. Hint. Laughing!

LOVE them Salvages! Laughing! Got any pics,because I KNOW the mounting system/glass and stock is gonna be funnier than fhuqk too. HINT.

The rope is there for the takin',getcha ALL you can fhuqking handle,because you are doing "great".

Don't let the cat get your tongue,nor the couch your kchunt.

GOOD talk......................

Axtell,

You couldn't pour piss out of a boot and I very much enjoy,that such facts do not preclude your "contributing".

Luckily for you,Imagination and Pretend are priced within your means.

You VERY "fortunate" kchunt!

Laughing!..................

(Addendum: For yet another perpetually Whining Kchunt)

'tell,

I get a kick outta how "real" your Imagination and it's Pretend,are to you.

[Linked Image]

Lemme frost your Imagination,just a touch more,so you can refuel your Pretend.

As like caseheads go(223AI here),here's 1000 words on boolits,in descending order.

1-7" Mike Rock,1-8" PN,1-9" OEM Big Green LTR punch,1-10" PN,1-12" PN,1-14" Hart.

[Linked Image]

At least you can afford to look at pics,you VERY "fortunate" kchunt.

Laughing!...........

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
You VERY "fortunate" kchunt!

Not everyone can live in a double-wide

Hint..................

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
SUGAR TITS 2000yard target???

You must be the Alaska chapter president of that gang you invented.
TDNKCuNTS ! LOL. Is the lazy eye a requirement or just preferred.
Stay tuned I might post a picture of my feet but probably not.

Tic tic tic tic tic tic.

Oh and that Honda 70 of your is awesome. And don't try to say it the kids. he out grew that POS before it was made. ( but at least your feet can touch the ground.) bet it was scary when you traded in the 50. Hollychit your priceless.

Last edited by fredIII; 11/30/15.
G
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by Big Stick
g,

Remember...it's ALL about magnification,barrel contour and bipods.

Nah', B

IMHO,

[Linked Image]

for a short range meat hunter

[Linked Image]

its more about bringing home the bacon

[Linked Image]

and the turkey

[Linked Image]

and the Aoudad

[Linked Image]

and the venison

and enjoyin' one's self while doin' it.

[Linked Image]

Just sayin'

GWB

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
'Stick,

Why straight 6x45 and not an AI version of same?

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Sure your name isn't Sanford, schitk

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Big Stick, I see you have made 37,892 posts! Good grief, do you do anything else in life?

Many people say that it is better to do stuff than collect stuff. If this is true why do you have so many rifles, toys, etc. but I don't see any pictures of you in Africa or Wyoming, etc.?

Maybe we should get together and do a moose hunt this fall?

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Well Stick I wasn't trying to quote you word for word when I mentioned headstamps, or I would have. As far as when you call out people for screwing up blueprints I have to chuckle. As when I use this famous quote "Pardon my being afforded the luxury,of not being forced to guess." I just wonder the cost of that luxury was, before you evolved out of your .257 obsession?

How many times did you blueprint a rifle based on that caliber? I mean the 105 A-Max was out long before you quit guessing on the quarter bore, what took you so long to change? You've made your share of mistakes, and it's apparent how you "afforded luxury" by spending money on your mistakes.

It isn't like you never had a bad idea in that head of yours. I just happen to agree the 105 A-Max is a great bullet in this application on a .378" case head. Though you didn't need my couch sitting ass's approval, now did you?

Sure do have pictures of my Salvage rocking a factory Tupperware stock, Reupold scope VXII 4-12, and Warne rings and bases. Laugh all you want, as I'm not seeking your approval on any of my rifles.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Nice thing about a Salvage is I can be out my back door shooting a new barrel 10 minutes after the brown truck drops it off, since I can spin my own tubes on. This gives me a good idea if there is something worth pursuing without a huge investment.

E
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
E

[Linked Image]

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Thanks

Hell...Reloading/Shooting are still my favorite things to do,besides play in the box the kids came in.................
Page 3 of 17 1 2 3 4 5 16 17

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
686 members (12308300, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 160user, 10Glocks, 06hunter59, 69 invisible), 2,786 guests, and 1,289 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,632
Posts18,398,846
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.