Page 1 of 2 1 2
P
Porker Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
P
Hi all,

Does anyone have info on LH s/s Remington 700's made? i'm in the process of purchasing a very expensive (to me) NIB XCR Trinyte for future project and apparently they are stainless under the treatment. Was there at any time a run of stainless lefty's by Remington? what year and model? Pls sent a pic if you have one...

cheers!

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Remington made a run of LH stainless Model 700's in the mid-late 90's, these had a salt and pepper laminate stock in the normal BDL monte carlo pattern. They were named the Model 700 LSS for "laminated stainless steel". They were chambered in .270, .30-06, .300 WM and 7mm Rem. Mag as those were the standard four that manufacturers gave left handers for years.

The .270 and .30-06 were discontinued shortly after and bring super high prices on the used gun market - $1200 on up and more often than not in the "on up" range. They also quit making the belted magnums and only chambered those rifles in the proprietary Remington Ultra Mags. You can still find the RUM's on gunbroker for somewhat reasonable prices - i.e., expensive but not ridiculously expensive.

Pic of one I grabbed off of the internet:

[Linked Image]

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Yep, LSS and XCR.

I grabbed two LH non-magnums over the last two years, one was an XCR in 30-06...$1050 with a 50mm 'rifleman' Leupy.
The other was an lss .30-06 ...$1200 with a vari XIII 36mm Leupy.
Sold the LSS here and the XCR is now a SS .280 lightweight in a vias camo-dipped micky.

I just picked up a Micky signature mountain rifle with its LH titanium action (700 clone) in a factory micky stock, gun was very reasonable.
Keep an eye out --non-blued, non-magnum bargains are still out there.

P
Porker Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
P
thanks guys ... it seems they are a rarity, found my XCR here in Australia ... $1900AU later.

Broomd ...did you have the trinyte removed from your xcr? I'm assuming because you say its now a stainless 280?

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Wow - I'll have to treat my LH LSS '06 better.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Porker

Broomd ...did you have the trinyte removed from your xcr? I'm assuming because you say its now a stainless 280?

Sorry I missed this Porker...
The trinyte finish to me is a gimmick. I'm not sure if they are dipped, powder coated, electrolysis/sprayed etc, but they are simply some sort of bronzed-hued chemical film put over stainless.
I figure if a guy cant keep stainless rust-free he is beyond hope.

The XCR I picked up was abused. It actually had some minor rust from a lazy-assed Alabama owner (no dis to that great state) but obviously the humidity there did some damage.
I used some aluminum oxide paper and media blast to remover the rust/pitting and then media blasted the rest of the cheesy trinyte off to reveal the clean stainless.
One would never know the rifle wasn't factory perfect, but it took some time. I was pissed off when I received it, but buying through Armslist can be a crapshoot. The gun was a bargain overall at $1050 with Leupold, and it a fabulous lightweight shooter at this point.
I sold the .30-06 barrel, sold the XCR stock on Ebay and took it from there. I added a factory .280 mountain barrel, lightweight trigger guard, bolt shroud and popped it in a Micky.
It is my go-to deer rifle, but took a fabulous mountain goat this Fall in Alaska, and daughter used it to take a great elk last week.

It is a pleasure carrying a lightweight rifle over tough terrain.
[Linked Image]

P
Porker Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
P
also forgot about this post! thanks for all that info, awesome goat there broomd ... curious as to the weight of your rifle now. I'm looking at a 6.5 Swede with 3 position safety and mauser style bolt knob. Any chance you could post some close up pic's of the barrel profile and the action with closed bolt?

Last edited by Porker; 11/26/15.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Thanks Porker.
Yep, I can.

I'll get that posted....

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
If you are just wanting an action, it looks like the stainless left hand actions that Remington announced this year are starting to show up on gunbroker.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I don't know about that, but I hope so.
I know that there were a couple on GB recently, I thought about pulling the trigger on one, but didn't.

I don't know that those were recent production actions, the seller mentioned there likely won't be any available again.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Rifle is 5 15.5 lbs naked. I haven't had the heart to flute the bolt and lose an ounce or two, the jeweling is very nice.
It's scoped with an ultralight VX2 3-9X33mm...

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Nice goat and nice rifle smile

Gerry.
P
Porker Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
P
That sure aint no safe queen broomd, starting to show some great character .. neat and trim. That would be a #1 contour then being a factory mountain 700? Doesn't look ultra skinny .. are you happy with that contour or would you recommend #2/3? I'm looking at a 'lighter' weight rifle around 6/6.5 and barrel will be 21"

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Yeah, she may show some character.
Rifle hasn't been cleaned since the beginning of elk/deer season. I avoid the solvents etc, for obvious reasons.
But it is dried after every night afield.

With hunting ending, time now for a dis-assembly and thorough cleaning.

Barrel is a #1 Remington mountain barrel, as thin as they make I believe. Exactly what I wanted given that lighter is 'mo betta. A #2-3 wouldn't be bad, but I want as light as practically possible.

I have a second 700 SS .280 tube in the cabinet for a rainy day. The .280 Mountain contours are very rare.

J
JFE Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
The early M700 LSS's are a nice rifle. Several years ago I picked up a lightly used lefty in 300 RUM and the fit and finish is lot better than I'd seen in other 700 models made since. Mine looks just like the rifle Jim displayed. They are very light for what they are. I also picked up an unfired SS take-off barrel in 375 RUM but haven't had the rifle converted over yet.

There were a few LH LSS's brought into Oz by Raytrade but you don't see many come up on the used market.

The XCR looks like a nice outfit and interested to hear what you think of it.

P
Porker Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
P
Thanks JFE, cant wait to lay hands on the XCR I got from Melbourne firearms ..270... never seen a trinyte finish. They have a 30-06 XCR LH available should you be interested.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by bpas105
Wow - I'll have to treat my LH LSS '06 better.

I treated my LH LSS 30-06 well, sent it to PacNor and had it barreled with the same Remington Barrel contour to 338-06 Ack. I also have two LSS LH's one in 300 RUM and 338 RUM

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Reads like a lot of redundancy there, Bea. It is a collector thing for you?

There are far worse things than collecting rifles. smile

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by broomd

No, i just like my rifles and have more than 20 LH Rifles

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by bea175
Originally Posted by broomd

No, i just like my rifles and have more than 20 LH Rifles

It must take you weeks to decide which one to take deer hunting. grin

Doc

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

554 members (10gaugeman, 204guy, 007FJ, 06hunter59, 1eyedmule, 1beaver_shooter, 51 invisible), 3,134 guests, and 1,243 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,594
Posts18,454,365
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.