Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I think a lot of people don't know or realize but if you use a Bass Pro credit card it is Bank of America which has dropped many small arms related companies due to their anti gun stance. Of course, bps gets them a lot of business so that part is overlooked, but not by me. Fugg them, I won't buy from for that reason. Notified Bass Pro of this but got no response.

BP-B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Just out of curiosity, which would you say is the bigger organization. Cabelas or Bass Pro?

Marius Goosen
KMG Hunting Safaris
Professional Hunter and Outfitter
South Africa, Namibia, Mozambique, Zimbabwe, Zambia
http://www.huntsafaris.co.za
[email protected]
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
BassPro is bigger with more stores. Cabelas has more sales per store.

T
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by old_willys
Originally Posted by hicountry
Biggest mistake they made was going public.....

Tony

Seems that is true for most hunting stores, for 40+ years Dicks Sporting goods was a small chain of stores in upstate New York starting out in Binghamton NY. Great store and great service but once they went public and expanded they dropped their good service, gun repairs and hand guns. Most will recall after Sandy Hook they drop AR's, they really ruined a great business.

They just shifted. They own Field and Stream stores which compete directly with BPS and Cabela's. They're growing like crazy.

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by kaboku68
BassPro is bigger with more stores. Cabelas has more sales per store.

I just can't shop at BassPro, or the Gander Mtn. that just built a large store in my area...they are just too high!

I continue to buy at independent business...when they have anything in stock.

Funny story. I went to a BassPro in central GA. Remington had a $40 rebate on their SPS rifles. I noticed that the same model rifles had two different prices. I asked the guy behind the counter. He flipped the tag around and said that one price was the cost of the rifle...the other side reflected the cost after rebate.
I thought about that for a while, and came back. I told the guy that I usually didn't say anything about how a store does their marketing, but that really sucked. I also told him that I could drive in a 50 mile radius and beat their "after rebate" price, and see a better selection.
The guy said. "I know. I get that all the time. I don't buy firearms at BassPro...I can't afford to."
He added, "However, you would be surprised at the people who will come in and buy firearms, ammo, camo, camping equ., ect. all at one time, just so they can say they got it all at BassPro."
At that I let it go. The guy was being honest. I walked off and said to myself, "I'm not one of those guys."

The same could be said for Gander Mtn. After dealing with a really cocky department manager, I finally got the "It is our corporate policy that we make %40 on firearm and ammo sales." The franchise no longer holds any interest for me.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
What I read in the Billings Gazette, is that some of the smaller stores like the ones in Billings may be sold to Bass Pro. I didn't assume that meant all of Cabela's stores nationwide, but then again, I didn't go to page whatever for the rest of the story.
I myself spend more money at the Scheel's store!
For what it's worth, I have not ever been in a Bass Pro, but my friends that have, prefer Cabela's over Bass Pro anytime!!

I will say however, Cabela's almost single handedly kept the company I worked for in business off and on over the years making the beautiful laminated beams and trusses in their superstores.

Just rambling,
Ken
PS The company I worked for for over 40 years just closed it doors after 60+ years. Timberweld Mfg. Co Inc.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Gander used to be very reasonable on prices, but after the big buyout they are typically the highest, unless they have a sale on a popular model.

They sell used, but the prices are ludicrous. They'll sell a beat up gun for a price approaching NIB.

I expect the "fine gun rooms" at Cabelas will be gone, after the bean counters are through with them smirk

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S

I'm unimpressed with the Tukwilla Cabelas we have in Woorsheengton state, Lefty Coast!

I don't ever buy anything from Cabelas by mail.

Hopefully Bass Pro is run by better managers and execs! smirk wink

Otherwise, GOOD RIDDENCE!

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Hope you don't hold you breath....no pun intended.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by GeorgiaBoy
Hope you don't hold you breath....no pun intended.

Appreciate the warning! wink

IC B3

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
Talked with come Cabela's folks today.. Ain't going to happen according to the head shed.. But who knows.. Bass Pro is not my favorite outdoor shop.. I have been a Cabels's fan since 1989... Not about to change..

Molon Labe
D
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
D
It sure seems to me that cabelas has over built. There are three of their stores with in 60 minutes of my house. That's beyond saturation.
I do like them and shop there often but usually have s coupon or CC points to reduce the price.
No bass pro here so I don't have an opinion on them.
Sort of related is s gander mountain story that I experienced.
I found a pretty expensive beretta over under in their Eden prairie mn stood. In the process of buying it I determined that one of the three choke tubes was missing. They looked and couldn't find it and tried to convince me it came with only two, despite the end of the box saying otherwise.
I suggested that they take a choke tube off the shelf that was 10 feet from us and replace the missing choke tube. They said they couldn't do that. The idiot sales person was holding the gun as I walked out the door.

NRA Patron
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I've always wondered how they do their market research. Here in North Florida, there isn't a Cabelas within four hundred miles (none in Florida), but BPS has two stores (I think) here and the rumor is a third will be built here in Jacksonville.

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
Kenny mentioned spending money at Scheels.

For the most part their prices are fair, but their sale prices are crazy.

I was just at the Rochester Mn store and they were selling a medium priced stainless bolt actions cheaper than the competition was selling the same blued models. Don't want to use a brand but it pained me to put it back.

Their help is knowledgeable and the selection runs deep.

T
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by WyoCoyoteHunter
Talked with come Cabela's folks today.. Ain't going to happen according to the head shed.. But who knows.. Bass Pro is not my favorite outdoor shop.. I have been a Cabels's fan since 1989... Not about to change..

Doesn't really matter what Cabelas says. Now that they're public, they can be taken over even if they don't want to be bought out.

Last edited by tarheelpwr; 11/19/15.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
From what I have read a corporate raider is trying to gain control of Cabelas and then sell off the pieces for a quick profit. That has gotten Bass Pro and others interested in buying it. The more I read the more it sounds like a hostile take over.

DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
CharlesL,

That wouldn't surprise me at all. I also read in the article I mentioned above that Cabela's in Billings had 13% profit this year.
That would make a quick sale in a take over wouldn't it?

Ken

PS 1000 posts grin

Last edited by kennymauser; 11/22/15. Reason: 1000 posts
O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Originally Posted by tarheelpwr
...Doesn't really matter what Cabelas says. Now that they're public, they can be taken over even if they don't want to be bought out...

Originally Posted by CharlesL
...From what I have read a corporate raider is trying to gain control of Cabelas and then sell off the pieces for a quick profit. That has gotten Bass Pro and others interested in buying it. The more I read the more it sounds like a hostile take over...

Bingo, and, Bingo ^^^^^ Unfortunately, if it is a publicly traded company, even if the board does not want to sell the company, an outsider with deep pockets can buy enough shares to either force their hand, or make life miserable enough (bleed profit, file lawsuits, monkey with stock price/ratings) that they force their hand.

In regards to the 2000 employees at the home office, "Thank you very much. Here is your severance package. Have a nice life..." Such is the corporate mentality in 2015...

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Have not read the entire thread....but Bass Pro also bought Ranger Boats. The CEO and CFO of Ranger both resigned recently.

Not sure how I feel about that as far as Ranger boats are concerned.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by BOWHUNR
As a born and raised Nebraskan it saddens me to even think this could happen. I have not seen anything that says it's a done deal, but I can tell you the 2000 people in Sidney, NE that Cabela's employs are schitting in their pants right now. Sidney is a town of less than 7000 and this would be devastating to their economy.

I agree it was a big mistake for Cabela's to go public. The family was doing just fine on their own. Actually, I have seen quite a difference in the company after going public, and not for the better.

Mike

It saddens me. I probably got 90% of my outdoor gear from them and I liked their Midwestern roots. IMO, they defined customer service.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
666 members (17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 1minute, 10ring1, 12308300, 74 invisible), 2,762 guests, and 1,308 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,644
Posts18,399,051
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.