Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
K
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
K
There's some good deals now.
I know its no conquest but at around $200....well....good deal?
Thinking a 2-7 for woods hunting.

Last edited by kraky111; 11/28/15.
BP-B2

R
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
R
I generally do not comment on products I have not used but I saw the same
Deal and almost pulled the trigger. However, after a ton of
Research I went with the Conquest 3-9 for 299. Seems everyone loves the Conquest but reviews on Terra were inconsistent and some quite poor. If you do get the terra please post a
Report as I am still not sure I made the
right choice. I spent way too much time this weekend researching scope, so many deals out there.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have a 3x9x42 and it seems I only hunt woods. It has served me well. Recently took a buck at a bait site 50 yards away just before dark that I had no idea was even there until I made one final pass with the scope. I've got it on a heavy barrel wthby vanguard and the set up has been producing .5" groups at the bench. Paid $400 for mine when they first came out, which seems to be what I generally pay for a scope. I also have the conquest, I can't tell the difference between the two, but if it says Zeiss on the box I'll try it at least once.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Ordered a 3-9x40 Conquest from Eurooptics for $299 and got it in the mail today. I went ahead and got a conquest because they are not making them anymore. I also ordered a 3-9x50 Terra on sale for $246.99 shipped. I figured if Zeiss has put their name on it, then it has to be a decent scope. I haven't got this one in the mail yet.

89-92 7th INF. DIV.
92-93 RASP-Ranger Tab
93-97 1ST BN

K
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
K
By the time one of my buddies gave his OK we missed on ordering 3 of the 2-7s.....they were out and no back orders at that price.
They told me when I called in they bought all the last 3-9 conquests and have like 700 of them left and will continue to offer em for $299.
Still thinking about one....oh well.....lol!

IC B2

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by kraky111
By the time one of my buddies gave his OK we missed on ordering 3 of the 2-7s.....they were out and no back orders at that price.
They told me when I called in they bought all the last 3-9 conquests and have like 700 of them left and will continue to offer em for $299.
Still thinking about one....oh well.....lol!

Buy the 3X9 Conquest. I would rather have it than the Terra.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I've been useing Zeiss Terra 3 3-9X42 with the RZ6 reticle on two rifles for two seasons now. I also have a Conquest 3-9X40 on a rifle for one season.

My 223 super lite T3 prints under 1" at 300 yds with the Terra 3 RZ6 and last outing at the range printed 2.41" at 500 yds. One thing to keep in mind is if you get a Terra 3 with RZ reticle parralax is set at 300 yds; hence the reason for exceptional 300 and 500 yd groups in a non AO scope.

The Terra 3 with standard reticle has a 100 yd parralax setting. This scope will be more accurate at 100 yds however not as accurate as the RZ reticle at longer ranges.

Some apparently do not like the Terra 3 as eye relief drops to 3" on 9 power. I believe on 3 power it was something like 3.6" I personally have never had an issue with eye relief however my largest rifle I have a Terra on is a 270 Tikka T3

Comparing my Terra 3 in the field vs the Conquest I don't see the difference some on this forum have claimed( whom have never used the Terra 3 in the field). The Conquest does have a very minimal amount of better resolution in my opinion.

I'd I had to choose between the Conquest or Terra 3 for my use I would choose the Terra 3 every time. The Terra 3 is lighter, more compact, and so far has been Dependable for two seasons on two different rifles that are not only hunted but see a lot of range time. The 270 has 600+ rounds downrange so not a big test but a start.

I have also compared the Terra 3 to a FX3 leupy I've had for years. I could have easily remounted the fixed 6 on my 270 however I prefer the Zeiss stay right where it is.

Shod

The 6.5 Swede, Before Gay Was Ok
K
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
K
Well...GEE.....thanks Shod.....now I feel dumb for not jumping on one of those....I think they were $229!

I snoozed....I losed! Oh well...we'll see what the Xmas optics season brings. Lol

R
rjf Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I was going to get a Terra until I actually went and looked through one. I didnt like it. My boy has a 3-9 conquest that is top notch and I really like that scope but in my opinion the Terra does not match up.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by rjf
I was going to get a Terra until I actually went and looked through one. I didnt like it. My boy has a 3-9 conquest that is top notch and I really like that scope but in my opinion the Terra does not match up.

I'm curious what it was you didn't like when you looked at the scope. One reason I ask is that when Mule Deer tested the scope it showed the Terra 3 to be optically right there with the Conquest. As far as dependability goes I've not yet read of a failed Terra 3 so realistically it is entirely possible the scope is every bit as touph as a Conquest.

One thing for certain the Terra 3 is more compact and lighter that certainly is very useful for mountain or packing application.

The only place I can see where the Conquest has a useable utility that the Terra doesn't is if one require 1/2" more eye relief.

I suppose the dependability verdict might still be out though ones on this forum that have used them as far as I know have had zero issues which seems to be a Zeiss trait.

There seems to be a lot of window shoppers who have developed an opinion of the Terra 3 that is most contrary to those who have actually used the scope in the field.

Shod

The 6.5 Swede, Before Gay Was Ok
IC B3

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Shodd
Originally Posted by rjf

I'm curious what it was you didn't like when you looked at the scope. One reason I ask is that when Mule Deer tested the scope it showed the Terra 3 to be optically right there with the Conquest. As far as dependability goes I've not yet read of a failed Terra 3 so realistically it is entirely possible the scope is every bit as touph as a Conquest.

One thing for certain the Terra 3 is more compact and lighter that certainly is very useful for mountain or packing application.

The only place I can see where the Conquest has a useable utility that the Terra doesn't is if one require 1/2" more eye relief.

I suppose the dependability verdict might still be out though ones on this forum that have used them as far as I know have had zero issues which seems to be a Zeiss trait.

There seems to be a lot of window shoppers who have developed an opinion of the Terra 3 that is most contrary to those who have actually used the scope in the field.

Shod

Shodd, I'm glad you like these damn things.....:

8 pound (all up) 338 win mag:
[Linked Image]

Old 270 fwt:
[Linked Image]

Old 375 H&H with Zeiss conquest 3.5-10x44:
[Linked Image]

I like my Zeiss scopes. Even the terra's... I also prefer the RZ6 reticle on the 3-9x42. The 4-12 terra I had for a little bit plain and simply sucked. However, The 3-9x42's have been great so far. Tracking has been spot on, unlike the Swarovski 3-9x36 I had on my 338 (pictured above) and the glass isn't bad at all.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
My 3-9 Terra has excellent glass. It's not a dialing scope. Set it and forget it. Got it at Midway last year for $187 after rebate. Took a chance.

Talking to you is like trying to nail jello to the wall.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I've got a 4x12 on the way. What didn't you like about it?

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Originally Posted by 260madman
My 3-9 Terra has excellent glass. It's not a dialing scope. Set it and forget it. Got it at Midway last year for $187 after rebate. Took a chance.

I dont have a dog in this fight at all, but the statement "Its not a dialing scope," is hogwash. Either it tracks, or it doesnt, in turn either it works, or it doesnt.

R
rjf Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I went over to Cabelas to look at one. When I pulled it up and looked around I just didnt feel right to me. I didnt like the picture quality when I looked through it, felt "cheap". Others may have great experience with them and can look through them and feel its as good as the conquest, but me. I just didnt like it and I went with full intentions of buying one.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by blairvt
I've got a 4x12 on the way. What didn't you like about it?

Eye relief sucks. Not as easy to get behind as the 3-9x42...

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Well, I tried the Terra, for me, IT SUCKED.

At the time I compared to a Conquest, a VXIII, a VXII, a Fullfield II, and a Monarch III.

It had the worst "eye box" of the bunch. It also had a, "halo", for lack of a better term, that was visible thru out the range.

I swapped it for a Bushy Elite then gave away the Bushy.

Now before anyone gets their panties in a wad, I'm the guy that still thinks the Weaver Classics, V4 or V6 are good enough for 99% of everything I hunt.

So what do I know?

As a matter of fact I got another V6x38 delivered today.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by liliysdad
Originally Posted by 260madman

I dont have a dog in this fight at all, but the statement "Its not a dialing scope," is hogwash. Either it tracks, or it doesnt, in turn either it works, or it doesnt.

How about this, I'm not going to spin turrets with it.

Talking to you is like trying to nail jello to the wall.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
My VX 3 3.5x10 arrived yesterday and the terra 4x12 is due tomorrow. Will be interesting to compare

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
I looked at some 3-9X42's and 4-12X50's today. The glass was fine but they had a bit of tunnel vision and the eye box wasn't very forgiving. Very comparable with some other $200-$300 scopes. No bargain just because it says Zeiss.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
245 members (1Longbow, 12344mag, 160user, 257 roberts, 257 mag, 10Glocks, 27 invisible), 1,925 guests, and 882 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,728
Posts18,400,800
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.