Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
M
Mikki Offline OP
OP Offline
M
Best place in Anchorage to have a bear tanned? Price and quality work. No rug just tanned.
Steve

BP-B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
If it were me I would send it to Moyles.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Try Juli. She is actually in Wasilla but her work is fantastic and superb ethics.

http://www.alaskawildliferugs.com/index.html

Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times.
Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Mikki
Best place in Anchorage to have a bear tanned? Price and quality work. No rug just tanned.
Steve

Alpha Fur Dressers or Arctic Wolf as it's now called under new ownership.

My co worker sent one out that he whacked last week. He sent it out on Friday and it'll be back within the week.

[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]

Z
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Who bought alpha fur? I know Gary was running himself ragged with that place.

IC B2

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Alpha did my wolf. Excellent!

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Any tanning bed would work. Be sure to apply plenty of lotion on the nose and azz as these areas are quite sensitive.

Lefty C

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Joel/AK
Who bought alpha fur? I know Gary was running himself ragged with that place.

His employees.

Z
T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
Hope things have turned around at Alpha. I always got a good product back from them but it was always a struggle to get Gary to take in my hides. Told me in September one year that I shouldn't bother getting the two brown bears my dad and I killed tanned because they weren't prime? Who cares, we weren't selling them and weren't arguing prices or anything.

My wife took the hide from her first caribou to have it tanned for a throw and he literally told her she was crazy because caribou hides weren't worth anything.

I took him a blackbear skin on May 23rd that I'd shot on the 21st. He said it was much too late in the year and the hide wasn't any good even though it has 5" hair thick as sheep's wool?

Every time I talked him into doing it but it was like pulling teeth to get him to take them, even with money up front

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Good for them. I know Gary has been burnt out for years. It doesn't excuse bad business but I'm glad he's done with it.

IC B3

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by stevelyn
Steve

My co worker sent one out that he whacked last week. He sent it out on Friday and it'll be back within the week.

Must not have much work if they turn around that quickly. Thats almost a bad sign, but I"ve not dealt with them yet....

Its actually almost hard to get a hide done in a week, time line wise, with salting, pickling, shaving, pickling, shaving, tanning, oiling etc... but it could be done.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by rost495
Originally Posted by stevelyn
Steve

Must not have much work if they turn around that quickly. Thats almost a bad sign, but I"ve not dealt with them yet....

Its actually almost hard to get a hide done in a week, time line wise, with salting, pickling, shaving, pickling, shaving, tanning, oiling etc... but it could be done.

We did all the fleshing and it was nearly dry from hanging it in the shed with the woodstove going before sending it out. We did salt it on their request. The only thing they did was turn the ears a little better than we did.

Z
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
It still has to go to pickle, shave, pickle, shave, soak in a tan, soak in the oil etc... thats not one days work.

Yes it can be done. Its sure not normal though.

Maybe so far ahead of others that they were just firing up for the season though. Thats always possible.

The quickest I can do it on my own is about 3-4 days. Assuming salted to start with.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
255 members (257 mag, 12344mag, 300jimmy, 01Foreman400, 2UP, 10Glocks, 24 invisible), 1,713 guests, and 900 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,592
Posts18,397,932
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.