Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
VernAK Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Any suggestions on brush buster pants made of some of the newer materials. I've had the Filson's and Columbias and they did a good job of protecting legs from briars and thistles but I'm hoping there is some new, high tech, magical, lightweight but effective upland pant out there......we don't see much of that stuff up here.

Thanks

BP-B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Vern,

a bump for you

Thanks for posting this.

Were the Filsons and Colummbias too heavy for you? Didn't wear right? Not durable?

I'm not one for the "new, high tech, magical, lightweight " fabrics out there. So I'm wondering why you are interested.

I found your post because I was going to start a thread for pants recommendations my self. But probably for canvas types as I'm not fond of synthetiics. Maybe some on the faces of the legs, but nylon/polyester tpye fabrics make me sweat too much.

Good luck in your search.

Geno

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have a pheasant and quail opener this weekend. I'm going with Propper BDU's and one pair of Carrharts for the mornings. It's still warm out here.

"What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives every thing its value. Heaven knows how to put a proper price upon its goods; and it would be strange indeed if so celestial an article as freedom should not be highly rated." Thomas Paine
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by RickBin
I have a pheasant and quail opener this weekend. I'm going with Propper BDU's and one pair of Carrharts for the mornings. It's still warm out here.

Thsnks Rick,

Are these the bdu's you speak of?

https://www.propper.com/mens/genuine-gear-bdu-trouser.html

Seems like a reasonable price, would work in warm weather.

Are your Carharts just the regular "jeans", carpenter pants, or such? Or are they actual upland pants with facing on the legs?

I've got work pants I wear for this warm fall weather but need something substantial and preferrably with a brush and water resistant face on the legs for when (if?) the weather turns and the weeds get wet.

Thanks,
Geno

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Vern I just wear my Carhart std weight bibs and knee high Lacross ankle fit boots. Have newer brush buster pants but never seem to wear them. Biggest problem is pants get wet going through cattails. I spray that Carharts with scotch guard water proofing. Hunting Pheasants In SD. When it gets cold and windy I use a knee length HH Impertech Jacket.

kk alaska

Alaska 7 months of winter then 5 months of tourists
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Filson Tin Cloth Chaps are the best I've found. They are warm, but there's nothing that beats them.

VernAK Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I've used all the heavy stuff for decades and just hoping there was some new modern fabric brush pants. I guess I'm spoiled by these hiking pants with Spandex content.

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Originally Posted by Bay_Dog
Filson Tin Cloth Chaps are the best I've found. They are warm, but there's nothing that beats them.

Thanks I've been looking at these myself last night actually. I think it's time to bite the bullet. Both of my old el cheapo pairs are wore out.

Tight chains.

A=A

The perfection of life with a gun dog, like the perfection of an Autumn, is disturbing because you know, even as it begins, that it must end. Time bestows the gift and steals it in the process. "George Bird Evans"
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I would suggest the Wrangler ProGear Upland jeans. They have the Cordura panels with a Teflon water repellent finish, but I go the extra mile and spray the panels with High Country boot protector or Cabelas water proofer.

They work well in these parts for briars and brush, but will not stand up to extensive exposure to multi-flora rose. You need iron clad pants for that. grin

I wear Wrangler jeans all the time so the fit is familiar. A couple of farm stores stock them and are reasonable...less than 40 bucks.

http://www.wrangler.com/store/WRG_STORE_US/en_US/style/pg101.html

You're Welcome At My Fire Anytime

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Those look great, they might work even. I do wish they were cargos though. I wear the Wrangler Riggs cargo pants a lot for work and wish they had the cordura face version.

Geno

In it is contentment

IC B3

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
[quote=roundo

but will not stand up to extensive exposure to multi-flora rose. You need iron clad pants for that. grin
[/quote]

Yeah that stuff will humble anybody and their gear. We've got piles of that in parts of Pa. If you ain't bleeding hunting birds you ain't hunting anywhere with those wild rose bushes

Tight chains.

A=A

The perfection of life with a gun dog, like the perfection of an Autumn, is disturbing because you know, even as it begins, that it must end. Time bestows the gift and steals it in the process. "George Bird Evans"
G
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
G
+1 on the Filson chaps. I have several pairs of brush buster type pants but haven't worn them since I got my single tin chaps. I just pull them on over an old, comfortable pair of jeans.

If you're not living on the edge you're taking up too much room
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
vern...check out LL Bean tech upland pants...I got a pair& have been enjoying them

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
+1 on the tech upland pants. Not as heavy duty as some but comfortable to wear and relatively light. Good for majority of upland work.

Do or do not, there is no try.
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Griffon
+1 on the Filson chaps. I have several pairs of brush buster type pants but haven't worn them since I got my single tin chaps. I just pull them on over an old, comfortable pair of jeans.

Thanks, I think I'l look into those as I can then wear my cargos too. Might be a perfect union.

Geno

In it is contentment

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by akrdkill
vern...check out LL Bean tech upland pants...I got a pair& have been enjoying them
Originally Posted by akrdkill

Have worn the wranglers over 15 years. Good pants. Just blew out the crotch. Too many barb wire fence crossings snagged up stepping over lol

Switched to something lighter like the a lot. Dry out quickly , light just layer in colder weather.

http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/69107?productId=1157804&cvosrc=cse.pricegrabber.0KLY612140&qs=3079611_mercent&mr:referralID=b734d7d6-7742-11e5-a012-005056947d48

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I wear Carhartt Bibs

The government plans these shootings by targeting kids from kindergarten that the government thinks they can control with drugs until the appropriate time--DerbyDude

Whatever. Tell the oompa loompa's hey for me. [/quote]. LtPPowell

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by roundoak
I would suggest the Wrangler ProGear Upland jeans. They have the Cordura panels with a Teflon water repellent finish, but I go the extra mile and spray the panels with High Country boot protector or Cabelas water proofer.

They work well in these parts for briars and brush, but will not stand up to extensive exposure to multi-flora rose. You need iron clad pants for that. grin

I wear Wrangler jeans all the time so the fit is familiar. A couple of farm stores stock them and are reasonable...less than 40 bucks.

http://www.wrangler.com/store/WRG_STORE_US/en_US/style/pg101.html

I have been using the Wrangler Progear Upland Jeans this season. no issues with hunting the Wild Rose patches here in Alberta; aka Wild Rose Country. They have stood up very well so far. Granted this is season number one with them but so far I expect to get several seasons out of them.

N
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
N

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Growing up in the land of wild roses and fierce winds (NE MT), I never found anything better or more flexible than cordura chaps.

https://postimg.cc/xXjW1cqx/81efa4c5

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Soli Deo Gloria

democrats ARE the plague.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
840 members (12344mag, 1234, 12308300, 10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 007FJ, 79 invisible), 3,250 guests, and 1,321 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,712
Posts18,400,269
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.