Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 17 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 16 17
RWE Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 458 Lott
Seems like instead of bragging that one can't hit a target at 50 yds, they should practice.

I don't ever recall anyone being criticized for being too good of a shot after a shooting.

People that think too much figure that the information will be held agin' ya' in a court of law, showing that you are some sort of uber gun nut.

Or some such [bleep].

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The number one rule of a gunfight is to win.

Sometimes people ignore the obvious.

W
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
W
458 Lott
In Minnesota we have to be a "Reluctant Participant". Shooting a human being has to be a last resort.
Otherwise you can brag about what a great shot you are to your cell mates after they lock you up.
Is has nothing to do with your ability to make a long shot. That is why there are prairie dog towns,

I like to do my hunting BEFORE I pull the trigger!
There is only one kind of dead, but there are many different kinds of wounded.
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Originally Posted by whelennut
458 Lott
In Minnesota we have to be a "Reluctant Participant". Shooting a human being has to be a last resort.
Otherwise you can brag about what a great shot you are to your cell mates after they lock you up.
Is has nothing to do with your ability to make a long shot. That is why there are prairie dog towns,

As I said, some people die easy. Seems folks living in liberal states are as easy to slay as sheep.

Congrats?

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Seems like instead of bragging that one can't hit a target at 50 yds, they should practice.

I don't ever recall anyone being criticized for being too good of a shot after a shooting.

I just enjoy the crap out of long range handgunning. And I've found that if I can hit a clay pigeon against a backstop at 100 yards, than a coke can at 7 yards is a piece of cake.

But perhaps those days are over for me. Just got a new eyeglass prescription and while I can see the clay pigeon just fine, the sights are REALLY fuzzy now. I haven't been out shooting since I got the new specs....gonna suck if I cant hit at long range anymore...like REALLY suck.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The number one rule of a gunfight is to win.

Sometimes people ignore the obvious.

No, the number one rule of a gun fight is to SURVIVE. There have been many who "won" a gun fight, and died after the fact.

My "goal" is if I'm ever in a gun fight (God forbid), I hope to leave with absolutely no more holes than I was born with. While shooting I plan on moving around like an ADHD 6th grader after a a six pack of Red Bull. Be where the bullets ain't.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
458 Lott
What is the definition of "Reluctant Participant"? Does that mean you have a duty to retreat if possible?

In most states there are 4-5 basic conditions for lethal force in self defense:

1 - You have to be the innocent party; as in, not the aggressor
2 - The threat has to be imminent
3 - The amount of force you use has to be proportional to the threat
4 - Your conduct has to be deemed "reasonable"
5 - In some states you have the duty to retreat

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
In Minnesota you have the duty to retreat. What a frigging shameful thing that is.

I'm pretty sure you have taken at least 2 slugs to you're body before you can return fire in Minnesota.

HOW THE [bleep] anyone could live in such a liberal state and happily pay taxes to those bastards is BEYOND me.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
W
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
W
I was a Charter Member of the Gun Owners Civil Rights Alliance.
We had to lobby a long time just for the right to carry.
I used to shoot on the State Service Rifle team and we had a district judge on the team.
He told me that we had a duty to retreat to the furthest corner of the house if someone came in the front door. If jumping out the window and running to the neighbors house was an option
that would probably be expected.
Things have changed a little for the better but not enough.
whelennut

I like to do my hunting BEFORE I pull the trigger!
There is only one kind of dead, but there are many different kinds of wounded.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Would you rather be judged by 12 or carried by six?

The government can tell me I have a duty to be a coward, but I damn well won't put the "duty to the state" above my duty to protect my family.

IC B3

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Steelhead
In Minnesota you have the duty to retreat. What a frigging shameful thing that is.
True dat. MN Castle Doctrine bill went nowhere in 2015 (IIRC). And it won't get passed until and unless Governor Mark (Crazy Eyes) Dayton gets his azz voted outta office..

I'm pretty sure you have taken at least 2 slugs to you're body before you can return fire in Minnesota.
Nah - not that bad. But if you're just getting the chit kicked outta ya, ya can't draw that howitzer and let 'er rip.. Azzkicking dude's gotta have a weapon of some sort.. And yes - it's idiocy..

WI laws are quite a bit easier for a person to defend themselves, and this state does have a Castle-Doctrine law.. Last, as a bonus, it's NOT controlled by the damn Dems..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by Redneck
Originally Posted by Steelhead
True dat. MN Castle Doctrine bill went nowhere in 2015 (IIRC). And it won't get passed until and unless Governor Mark (Crazy Eyes) Dayton gets his azz voted outta office...

Good ol' "Evacuatin' Dayton". You guys can't get rid of HIM?

There is nothing made by man,
which cannot be broken by woman.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I was a Charter Member of the Gun Owners Civil Rights Alliance.
We had to lobby a long time just for the right to carry.
I used to shoot on the State Service Rifle team and we had a district judge on the team.
He told me that we had a duty to retreat to the furthest corner of the house if someone came in the front door. If jumping out the window and running to the neighbors house was an option
that would probably be expected.
Things have changed a little for the better but not enough.
whelennut
I believe there's less than 5 states that still have that requirement, all in the NE. Let's hope common sense arrives sometime soon.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
This thread has been a hoot to read through, & since about everything that could be said has been said, I can only say that I just love the (idiotic & news-flashy) term "active shooter". laugh

But anyone carrying or using a gun, long or short would be well advised to be somewhat proficient over most of the capable range of the weapon.

And, personally, I see very little point for a gun used as an EDC weapon not to have a lethal & effective working range well past 50 yards. (Not talking about a BUG.........)

MM

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by GunGeek
458 Lott
What is the definition of "Reluctant Participant"? Does that mean you have a duty to retreat if possible?

In most states there are 4-5 basic conditions for lethal force in self defense:

1 - You have to be the innocent party; as in, not the aggressor
2 - The threat has to be imminent
3 - The amount of force you use has to be proportional to the threat
4 - Your conduct has to be deemed "reasonable"
5 - In some states you have the duty to retreat

1.means
2. capability
3. intent

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
"Reluctant participant" might be the opposit of "stand your ground." In other words, even if you have a right to be there, you are not permitted to stand your ground if confronted with a potentially lethal attack unless you cannot safely retreat.

B
BMT Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
We ise AOJ in Oregon

Ability-knife gun disparity of size or number

Opportunity-this is the range limitation. If bad guy is 2 miles west and has a J frame I am not in jeopardy

Jeopardy-bag guy intends injury

This is where the OP's instructor is going. At 50 yards you may or may not be in jeopardy.

Mackay notes the fallacy of this position. Nevertheless, even a clean shoot will ruin your life for a long time.

"The Church can and should help modern society by tirelessly insisting that the work of women in the home be recognized and respected by all in its irreplaceable value." Apostolic Exhortation On The Family, Pope John Paul II
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by MontanaMan
This thread has been a hoot to read through, & since about everything that could be said has been said, I can only say that I just love the (idiotic & news-flashy) term "active shooter". laugh

But anyone carrying or using a gun, long or short would be well advised to be somewhat proficient over most of the capable range of the weapon.

And, personally, I see very little point for a gun used as an EDC weapon not to have a lethal & effective working range well past 50 yards. (Not talking about a BUG.........)

MM

Ding! We have a winner! We used to call that 'shooting up to your gun' and it was considered an asset instead of a liability.

Direct Impingement is the Fart Joke of military rifle operating systems. ⓒ
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If 50 is too far, at what distance should we be accurate? 3, 5, 7?

I feel like some Dot Torture is in order!

Originally Posted by SBTCO
your flippant remarks which you so adeptly sling
B
BMT Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Bluedreaux
If 50 is too far, at what distance should we be accurate? 3, 5, 7?

I feel like some Dot Torture is in order!

The practice is not on the range.

The practice is determining a threat and proper response at ANY range and condition.

What is your backstop at the mall?

What is the best cover at the theater?

Is the exit at Umpqua Community College close to your desk?

If you shoot and kill the bad guy, will your bullet hit the baby behind him?

Shooting is easy

Deciding when to shoot, where to place your shot, and shutting up when the police arrive is the hard part

"The Church can and should help modern society by tirelessly insisting that the work of women in the home be recognized and respected by all in its irreplaceable value." Apostolic Exhortation On The Family, Pope John Paul II
Page 5 of 17 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 16 17

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

85 members (444Matt, 44automag, 35sambar, 10gaugemag, 6mmCreedmoor, 6MMWASP, 13 invisible), 2,196 guests, and 826 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,279
Posts18,467,660
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.