Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 17 1 2 3 16 17
W
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
W
I am a civilian and I was talking to my concealed carry instructor and he just laughed when I told him about this forum.
He said there is no way you could convince a judge that you were defending yourself from a threat at 50 yds away.
So all the talk about flat shooting, accurate handguns is not an issue in Minnesota.
What I want is something to defend against home invasion. Which would be a twelve gauge or a second choice would be a 45 acp

I will start the pop corn.
whelennut

I like to do my hunting BEFORE I pull the trigger!
There is only one kind of dead, but there are many different kinds of wounded.
GB1

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by whelennut
I am a civilian and I was talking to my concealed carry instructor and he just laughed when I told him about this forum.
He said there is no way you could convince a judge that you were defending yourself from a threat at 50 yds away.
So all the talk about flat shooting, accurate handguns is not an issue in Minnesota.
What I want is something to defend against home invasion. Which would be a twelve gauge or a second choice would be a 45 acp

whelennut

Me thinks your instructor is a moron

A recent case in TX comes to mind where a CCW'ER shot an assailant with a handgun at 65 yards..

The government plans these shootings by targeting kids from kindergarten that the government thinks they can control with drugs until the appropriate time--DerbyDude

Whatever. Tell the oompa loompa's hey for me. [/quote]. LtPPowell

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Judges and their rangefinders...it ain't right!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
In a city 50 yards might seem like a long way not so much in a rural environment

Mike

God, Family, and Country.
NRA Endowment Member

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If you see that super awesome instructor again, tell him that I said to eat a bag of dicks.

Originally Posted by SBTCO
your flippant remarks which you so adeptly sling
IC B2

I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
Fifty yard handguns are for deer hunting,........aren't they?

If I am forced to defend my life from a distance of fifty yards, in most scenarios, I would have access to a rifle.

Inside my house, when I thought the threat was imminent, I slept on the recliner with a Marlin 1894 in 41 mag across my lap and a Mossberg 500 w/ 12 ga #4's propped against the wall beside me.

A handgun is for when you really just don't expect any trouble.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by Idaho_Shooter

This.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G

If I am forced to defend my life from a distance of fifty yards, in most scenarios, I would have access to a rifle.

Inside my house, when I thought the threat was imminent, I slept on the recliner with a Marlin 1894 in 41 mag across my lap and a Mossberg 500 w/ 12 ga #4's propped against the wall beside me.

What guarantees that trouble will only occur within 7-10 feet?

The government plans these shootings by targeting kids from kindergarten that the government thinks they can control with drugs until the appropriate time--DerbyDude

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
[quote=

I would think that would depend on the circumstance(s) that lead up to confrontation.

R
RJM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R

I am just glad I sleep in the trailer when I visit.... grin Knock-knock....BOOM..."whose there"....

Well your instructor is about 99% correct...95% of civilian shootings take place within 7 yards...rarely over 25...but what if you were in the theater during the showing of Batman...or in one of the mall shootings.. Or drive around the deserts of the SW with Ron some time...

And quiet honestly I don't own a gun that I regularly carry that won't hold "minute of badguy" at fifty yards.... I know the three guns I regularly carry will do it...

Bob

If you can not deal with reality, reality will deal with you....
IC B3

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
So if I'm walking in my yard and a guy starts slinging shots at me for 150 yards I should just accept death?

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S

whelennut

Also, be sure to remind him that he is a Conservative Yankee, which as we know means a liberal.

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
A number of years back I responded to an incident on the snake river where some A-hole outlaw biker types were taking pot shots at some boaters/kayakers on the river. They were on the bluffs up top and were shooting down onto the people on the water.

The range was well in excess of 50 yards.

Again, years back, I responded to an incident where an estranged husband/boyfriend was shooting at a house occupied by his ex wife/GF.

The range was more than 50 yards from the road to the house.

Not too long ago, I responded to a hotel, in which a person murdered one guest, and shot one trooper, before shooting a bunch of rounds at me.

While the range was quite close where I pinned him up (in a stairwell), had I been able to engage him in one of the long hallways, I could have had a 50 yard shot opportunity.

Locally, the walmart, Costco, Winco, and various local grocery stores parking lots are all well over 100 yards across.

We have school hallways longer than 50 yards.

We have grocery stores where a 50 yard shot INSIDE would be possible.

The punchline is that while the "average" shooting is up close and personal, what guarantee do you have that you will have an "average" shooting?

You get the fight you get, not the one you want.

Some fights start up close, and due to people running, ducking dodging, etc, the ranges get extended. It is very easy for a fight that started inside, to spill out onto the street, where ranges can greatly increase.

In all seriousness Whelennut, I would find a different instructor.

There are a TON of guys out there who really want to be somebody important. They attend a basic NRA school, which to pass really does not require much more than a pulse, and the ability to pay, and then they hang out a shingle as an "NRA Instructor"

All of the sudden these guys are subject matter experts on virtually everything, including gunfighting, which I find a bit amusing, since the very vast majority have NEVER even heard a shot fired in anger.

So, with absolutely NO experience, they feel qualified to teach all about the subject. Personally I think most are in it, not because they like to teach others to improve their skill set, but do it instead to validate their "manhood" and convince themselves that they are alpha males.

Back on the topic of yardage:

Practicing at 50 yards is a smart move. If you can make solid hits at 50 yards,on a square range, then hits at 10 yards, while under pressure should be much easier.

Purely my observation.

THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.

The Tikka T3 in .308 Winchester is the Glock 19 of the rifle world.

The website is up and running!

www.lostriverammocompany.com

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by gitem_12

Methinks also, X2....

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
R
RJM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
"There are a TON of guys out there who really want to be somebody important. They attend a basic NRA school, which to pass really does not require much more than a pulse, and the ability to pay, and then they hang out a shingle as an "NRA Instructor" "

As one NRA Training Councilor {instructor trainer} I unfortunately know said... "Pay your money nobody flunks my class" ..and he was not kidding. Pulse and money are the only requirements.

Bob

R
RGK Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by Mackay_Sagebrush
Practicing at 50 yards is a smart move. If you can make solid hits at 50 yards,on a square range, then hits at 10 yards, while under pressure should be much easier.

Exactly. I've never practiced to kill someone; I shoot because I love pulling a trigger. Exceptional marksmanship ability is its own reward; if you can shoot well at 50 yds, you'll have no problem defending yourself at 5.

I think the vast majority of handgunners should be working on basic marksmanship, instead of "scenarios". But exercising sight alignment and trigger control is boring stuff, kinda like weight training. Much more fun is shooting lots of rounds quickly into multiple Bin Laden targets while ducking left (or right) after a draw. So cool.

Learn to shoot, then learn to fight. Tactics change, fundamentals don't. Too easy.

Maybe you should find another instructor. Mackay's post is "spot on". My thoughts on this are probably counter to most, but in my limited experience it's a good plan.
Bob

Last edited by RGK; 11/28/15.
R
RJM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Not sure I totally agree with you Bob...

I have seen a LOT of shooters who can run 100 on a qualifier and do just fine to the point of making head shots from the holster from 25 yards completely fall apart when hit with a blind scenario...to the point of completely missing a silhouette target at 7 yards.

You talk about "scenarios"...IDPA puts on a lot of them...but they are really nothing more than choreographed target shooting. Put these same guys in the same scenario blind and watch the Grand Masters fall apart..have seen this for 20+ years...almost universally they rush and get themselves killed because they can't get the clock out of their head.

One of the guys on here has a son-in-law who is with the CHP..and a real good shooter. He made a "small" tactical error on a car chase and almost got his butt run over. The car passes within FEET of him and even with the drivers window down didn't not just hit the driver BUT NEVER TOUCHED THE CAR either.

Then there is the Dallas sergeant who fails to qualify {again} and is going back to the substation to write himself up and stops for a coffee on the way. Stops at one of the Stop N' Robs and runs right into a robbery in progress..and kills the robber... So much for the quals having anything to do with reality.

Gun fighting is a mentality with a little bit of ability.

Bob

ps...the above said, I regularly train shooters to hit out to 100 yards with their handguns and have done scenarios out to probably 50.

I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
Originally Posted by RJM

I am just glad I sleep in the trailer when I visit.... grin Knock-knock....BOOM..."whose there"....

Bob

Notice the "when I thought the threat was imminent" part.

Our daughter's first ex was giving her grief, violating his restraining order, and generally being a complete POS. She and her little girl spent a couple nights at our house, and I spent the nights on the recliner.

Usually all of my firearms and ammo are locked in the safe.

R
RJM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
I did notice that and hope we know each other well enough to know I was joking... I figured there must have been some serious problem for you to do that...Bob

R
RGK Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by RJM
Not sure I totally agree with you Bob...

Gun fighting is a mentality with a little bit of ability.

Bob

Roger that. On my old dept I had a sgt that was terrified of qualifying...he got a 2-day suspension after not being able to after 3 tries. I helped him get through the 9mm transition course, which he barely completed. A few months later, after 2 more quals that almost got him removed from street duty for poor marksmanship, he got into 2 different shootings in 3 weeks...3 shots, two dead suspects.

I had a partner in Hollywood when I was in uniform who'd been in 4 shootings...no hits. Good policeman, though; we had fun together in patrol.

On the other hand, there's SGT York, phenomenal marksman, who commented after the war that he found it easier to head-shoot Germans shooting Maxim machine guns at him than hitting turkeys back home. Classic coupling of ability and performance under pressure.

My thoughts are that some people handle pressure and fear better than others. It's up to the shooter to apply the training he's been given. Confidence in your ability goes a long way towards prevailing.

Sometimes the situation isn't what you've trained for. But if you live, you've won.
Bob

Last edited by RGK; 11/28/15.
RWE Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by RGK
But if you live, you've won.

Had a marine sgt tell me that once.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
An idiot instructor instructing an idiot.

Win/win?

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'd like to know who the "Grand Master" was who "fell apart" in a scenario you put on.

R
RGK Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by RWE
Originally Posted by RGK

I meant to be sarcastic in that one; guess I didn't quite succeed.
Bob

R
RJM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
"Confidence in your ability goes a long way towards prevailing."

I've always said this because being able to unconsciously get your gun into play allows one to give 99% of your concentration to the situation at hand. In all the times I had to draw on someone I can only say the gun appeared in my hand. I have no memory of drawing it. It's the same way when doing the scenarios, buzzer goes off and the gun is on target....

Having confidence in your ability also allows you to not shoot someone, giving them that few seconds to decide to live instead of die...

Bob

I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
Originally Posted by RJM
I did notice that and hope we know each other well enough to know I was joking... I figured there must have been some serious problem for you to do that...Bob

I was sure your comment was tongue in cheek. no worries!

R
RJM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by Bluedreaux
I'd like to know who the "Grand Master" was who "fell apart" in a scenario you put on.

I probably should not have said "Grand Master" as I only know these people to be top shots and internationally known instructors...and it was not my shoot...it was the National Tactical Invitational...

The last part of the shoot was live fire Simunitions against real people...who for a change were very good actors. I think there was 11 or 12 teams. All the rest of the teams died in both scenarios because they went in with a "Game" mentality..bully your way through. They were all covered with hits. My one hit was in the support hand pinky knuckle and I killed the guy. My partner got hit in the shoulder just as we were about to exit the second scenario...and I killed the guy.

I just did it like I did on the street...none of the others had ever done it "for real" before.

Bob

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Having the capability of hitting at 50yds and 100yds, on a man size target, with a duty/CC carry gun, should never be diminished by any instructor.

Any instructor that would do so is a fugking moron.

Travis

My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
RWE Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by RGK
Originally Posted by RWE
Originally Posted by RGK

I meant to be sarcastic in that one; guess I didn't quite succeed.
Bob

It was before a bar fight anyway.

Lawton, OK. 1987

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A well-rounded shooter should be able to do reasonably well at any reasonable distance, but why this silliness must continually be debated in theoretical terms continues to escape me.

The paradigm of small arms conflict involving both citizens and cops has been fairly steady since the invention of black powder. It ain't rocket science.

While the occasional anomaly will always exist, the overwhelming majority of engagements are predictably measured in feetnot yards. A prudent man will prepare himself well for the probability before wasting time and resources on the outlying possibility.

Shooting static, full-size steel targets at 50 yards or more in the bright light of a square range bears little correlation to the skills necessary to dominate close range engagements at moving targets in low light.

The uninitiated are always easily impressed.
NRA Endowment Member
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by gitem_12

whelennut

A recent case in TX comes to mind where a CCW'ER shot an assailant with a handgun at 65 yards..

Agreed, Gitem, instructor is a idiot!
And I beleive the incedent your referring to, happened in Brown County, TX, about 75 miles south of me. Local SO responded to a shooting where the bad guy killed his neighbor over a dog barking dispute. When SO arrived on scene, the bad guy shot and killed the first Deputy that responded. During the shootout, a elderly CHL holder in his late 70's shot and killed the Perp at 60 to 75 yards with a .357 Magnum.
Moral of the story, don't piss off a old Texan that can shoot a handgun! wink

And as to making long range shots with a handgun, I started shooting Sillhoutte Competition in 1980 with a Super Black Hawk with a 7.5" barrel in 44 mag. We shot Ram steel targets at 200 yards, and turkey steel targets at 200 yards in the shoot off if the match was tied after 40 rounds. And it wasn't unusual to see a shooter hit all 5 turkeys at 200 yards with just a plain old revolver.
Personally, I can hit a 10" steel plate fairly regularly with my Glock 10mm. Not all that hard to do with some frequent practice, IMO

Last edited by chlinstructor; 11/28/15.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G

Grand master B?

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by 41magfan

Shooting static, full-size steel targets at 50 yards or more in the bright light of a square range bears little correlation to the skills necessary to dominate close range engagements at moving targets in low light.

So we should only train for close range, moving targets, in low light?

Travis

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
long time ago playing county popo we regularly practiced out to 50yards, strong hand, weak hand, double handed, left and right barricade.
You don't know what you are going to run into. distances can be short, or they can be longer. The cartels station people up on hilltops to monitor floor/valley activity. Those carry good long range optics setup systems.
If you had a choice you would chose a rifle for sure but you may not have that choice.
I remember the first dept public safety course i ran through, they did a lot of their shooting up close like five and 7yards. I thought it was pretty funny.
but what do you expect from tail light chasers.
I have always felt the capability to hit at longer distances made shorter distances like shooting at the side of a barn.
The other comment is if you are going to carry, it isn't about paper targets. Probably admitting what it could be potentially used for is a good thing, and the mind set/skills needed to do it.

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
sometime stand between two patrol cars when it is pitch black out with all lights going and the sirens and welpers at full blast and try to hit some targets. Much different game.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R

whelennut

if that guy was shooting at you, i don't think 50yards would throw a judge, particularly with a rifle.
tell the instructor to go back to class. all of that is situational.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
a lot of these firearms training classes are on paper targets, places like gunsight being the exception. Reading some of sagebrush's exploits with a pistola on rabbits always made me think of my dad.
His comment was when you get good enought to pop bunnies on the run consistently, then you have learned the game.
It isn't so easy.
Many times out quail hunting that is the game. trying to hit jackrabbits at a full gallop with a handgun till they are out of sight.

V
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
V
For me it all boils down to one thing before a trigger gets pulled, can I obtain the necessary sight picture, sight alignment and trigger pull to achieve the desired hit? If I am trying to hit an 8" circle at 3 yards just about anything will work. Trying to hit that same 8" at 50 yards in bad light might be a shot I would take under one set of circumstance and will pass under others.

Someone said something like "a man's gotta know his limitations". I agree but add that a man needs to know his lowest true level of abilities, when he is at his worst. Under stress we do not rise to the occasion, we tend to drop to our lowest level of unconscious competence.

Hunt hard, kill clean, waste nothing and offer no apologies.

"In rifle work, group size is of some interest...but it is well to remember that a rifleman does not shoot groups, he shoots shots." Jeff Cooper

W
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
W
I am still alive so GFY!

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
I am still alive so GFY!

Yet another of God's many miracles.

Dave

W
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
W
Any time someone has to resort to name calling they are admitting they have run out of ammunition in the battle of wits.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Any time someone has to resort to name calling they are admitting they have run out of ammunition in the battle of wits.

When you gather some wits, you let me know.

Travis

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
When the feces hits the fan you will do what you were trained to do. Shooting static line qualifications can be used to better your fundamentals of trigger control, sight picture, front sight, front sight, front sight, follow through. Unfortunately for officers who have their qualifications run that way I'd hazard a guess that most deadly force encounters are anything but static, but rather are ever-changing dynamic situations where decisions must be made in fractions of a second.

Shooting a blind course, where you have to clear a "house", and each time the arrangement of bad guys and victims is altered forces the shooter to find another unique solution to their deadly force encounter.

It bears repeating: when the feces hits the fan you will do what you were trained to do. If you weren't trained to deal with dynamic, fluid, ever-changing situations where you have to make split second decisions, you'll just stand there and get shot. If you didn't train to deal with a such a deadly force encounter you will do what you trained to do - nothing.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by Magnumdood

It bears repeating: when the feces hits the fan you will do what you were trained to do. If you weren't trained to deal with dynamic, fluid, ever-changing situations where you have to make split second decisions, you'll just stand there and get shot. If you didn't train to deal with a such a deadly force encounter you will do what you trained to do - nothing.
It's amazing, then, that so many armed Americans who aren't trained to a particularly high level, manage to come out on top against armed bad guys every year.

It's my opinion that the difference in practical "bad guy stopping ability" between the type of trained shooter you're referring to and your average weekend paper target shooter is small compared to the difference between your average weekend paper target shooter and the typical sock drawer handgun keeper, yet even the sock drawer handgun keepers rack up lots of victories against armed bad guys every year.

You can take the necessity for training to ridiculous extremes, in other words. Ninety percent of the gains in ability against armed criminals is acquired by just being familiar with your sidearm, being smooth and sure in your draw and fire, and a reasonable amount of range time per month shooting static targets with a serious state of mind. Being a regular attendee at Gunsite, etc., helps fill in the gap between 90% and 100%.

In other words, it becomes a matter of diminishing returns after a certain point. Not that there's anything wrong with it, and for those who put themselves in harm's way for a living, it's likely a prudent measure, but for all others, its benefits vs costs are questionable, apart from satisfying Walter Mitty type fantasies.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
If you carry a handgun and only are trained to shoot, or only practice shooting at close range, it's like taking flying lessons where they only teach you to take the plane off...

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Ok, I'll play devil's advocate……...

So all the talk about flat shooting, accurate handguns is not an issue...

I'm no candidate for mensa, but, slow witted as I may be, it seems that this whole discussion doesn't have anything to do with police officers responding to "shots fired" calls or squad leaders on a recon patrol in the desert. Neither does it have to do with whether you should be able to shoot in the dark, hit moving targets or practice at distance. A cursory glance at the text would seem to indicate that the instructor was talking to a CIVILIAN taking a CONCEALED CARRY CLASS about convincing a judge/jury that he was DEFENDING HIMSELF when he shot someone 50 yards away.

At 50 yards there is no disparity of force argument---the size, age, number, gender, etc. of the perp is irrelevant, as are threatening verbiage and movements. In fact for a concealed carrying civilian (not a responding officer or soldier on patrol)--a person at 50 yards only becomes a justifiably "shootable" threat if they are an active shooter that initiates the altercation (i.e. they shoot first). Taking into consideration the typical skill level of the typical civilian in the typical concealed carry class, when you add the pucker factor of taking incoming fire, they are for all practical purposes unarmed and represent a greater threat to innocent bystanders than they do the perp if they return fire. If you subscribe to Clint Smith's dictum that "every round you shoot has a lawyer attached to it," it's easy to see why an instructor would tell a class that shooting someone at that distance would be difficult to justify.

Should we be able to hit a target at 50 yards? Absolutely. Should we practice on moving targets in low light while we're moving? Absolutely. Is that the point being made by in the original post. I don't think so.

JMO--of course, I could be wrong.

Last edited by gmoats; 11/29/15.

The blindness from subjectivity is indistinguishable from the darkness of ignorance.
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J

Gmoats, no way does the 50 yard adversary have to fire first, all he has to do is demonstrate intent to fire and one is justified in defending ones self

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by jwp475

Gmoats, no way does the 50 yard adversary have to fire first, all he has to do is demonstrate intent to fire and one is justified in defending ones self

….at 50 yards "demonstrating intent" in most urban environments will be pretty hard to establish I'm guessing…..Out on the ranch, no problem…….on a crowded city street, different story…….if someone walks into a mall carrying a long gun, are you justified in shooting them??? Better not…….a few months ago, I friend of mine was in a Starbucks in Cheyenne. A guy walks in with a collapsible stock AK slung over his shoulder, ordered a cup of coffee and sat down……not sure where injudicious behavior ends and "demonstrating intent" starts…...of course, I could be wrong….

Last edited by gmoats; 11/29/15.

The blindness from subjectivity is indistinguishable from the darkness of ignorance.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

You're in a "duty to retreat" state and your ex-wife comes rolling up to your place and gets out of her car with a handgun yelling that she's going to kill you. You're standing beside your masonary construction house and can just step inside and close the solid hardwood door, slam the dead bolt and call the cops. Instead you take a rest and kill her dead relying on your uber bear shooting skills. Hopefully you've got some bear-grease left over from your last kill for Tyrese to use on your ass. You might be wishing Tyrese didn't have such a big meplat.

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Originally Posted by EthanEdwards

You're in a "duty to retreat" state and your ex-wife comes rolling up to your place and gets out of her car with a handgun yelling that she's going to kill you. You're standing beside your masonary construction house and can just step inside and close the solid hardwood door, slam the dead bolt and call the cops. Instead you take a rest and kill her dead relying on your uber bear shooting skills. Hopefully you've got some bear-grease left over from your last kill for Tyrese to use on your ass. You might be wishing Tyrese didn't have such a big meplat.

Interesting that you know Tyrese's preference

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Steelhead

Just guesswork. As you're so fond of saying, knowledge trumps it so I'll defer to you on the subject.

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
There's no downside in being able and confident with a defensive handgun at 50 yards...or even further.

At the USMC's "High Risk Personnel" course, we did tons of shooting in all kinds of dynamic scenarios, near to far.

One of the things we did was 200 yards prone, with 9mm pistols. Yeah it's a low percentage shot, but you might at least be able to suppress an active shooter for a short time.

Different times nowadays, it's not just muggers in dark alleys anymore.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
If the OP's info applies to his state and he wished to share it for the edification of fellow residents- fine, I get that.

If his 'instructor' is insinuating those restrictions apply everywhere or that one is never entitled to defense at further than spitting distance, he is full of schizzt as the proverbial Christmas goose. All it takes is one drunk or crazy fool with a .22 rifle or Grandpa's shotgun. If you think getting leaded down at 50-100 yards is preferable to being option of being able to use your handgun at those distances- then by all means be that duck in a shooting gallery.

Like Mr. Sagebrush, I can instances where morons were taking potshots at folks from what would be considered long range in defensive circles. Even had such an exchange myself late one night involving some drunk coon (I suppose) hunters some 200 yards away, where they had stopped along my creek to raise hell. My dogs heard the ruckus and woke me up. They had lit themselves up; I hadn't. I yelled, from behind a tree, that they were trespassing and to get moving along, Our brief exchange of words soon turned into cursing and threats, spiced with a barrage of what sounded like .22 semi-auto fire up the hill toward the sound of my voice. Four rounds of 30-30, directed into the hillside about 50 yards above them, resolved the matter w/o apparent bloodshed; or at least the deputy and I didn't find any blood among the dropped booze, .22 casings and garbage left in their wake. He seemed to find it all rather humorous and mentioned to me later that is was the talk of bars and coffee shops for several weeks.

Direct Impingement is the Fart Joke of military rifle operating systems. ⓒ
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S

Just guesswork. As you're so fond of saying, knowledge trumps it so I'll defer to you on the subject.

It makes sense after seeing a few photos that GREASE would be your pick.

W
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by gmoats
Ok, I'll play devil's advocate……...

So all the talk about flat shooting, accurate handguns is not an issue...

I'm no candidate for mensa, but, slow witted as I may be, it seems that this whole discussion doesn't have anything to do with police officers responding to "shots fired" calls or squad leaders on a recon patrol in the desert. Neither does it have to do with whether you should be able to shoot in the dark, hit moving targets or practice at distance. A cursory glance at the text would seem to indicate that the instructor was talking to a CIVILIAN taking a CONCEALED CARRY CLASS about convincing a judge/jury that he was DEFENDING HIMSELF when he shot someone 50 yards away.

At 50 yards there is no disparity of force argument---the size, age, number, gender, etc. of the perp is irrelevant, as are threatening verbiage and movements. In fact for a concealed carrying civilian (not a responding officer or soldier on patrol)--a person at 50 yards only becomes a justifiably "shootable" threat if they are an active shooter that initiates the altercation (i.e. they shoot first). Taking into consideration the typical skill level of the typical civilian in the typical concealed carry class, when you add the pucker factor of taking incoming fire, they are for all practical purposes unarmed and represent a greater threat to innocent bystanders than they do the perp if they return fire. If you subscribe to Clint Smith's dictum that "every round you shoot has a lawyer attached to it," it's easy to see why an instructor would tell a class that shooting someone at that distance would be difficult to justify.

Should we be able to hit a target at 50 yards? Absolutely. Should we practice on moving targets in low light while we're moving? Absolutely. Is that the point being made by in the original post. I don't think so.

JMO--of course, I could be wrong.

Thank you! You seem to be the only person who understands the point I was trying to make.
Most shootings take place at 7 yards or less.
(Not 50yds.)
Also a civilian normally cannot act like an infantry soldier. We may have to explain ourselves to a judge. There is a case I heard about where a Chicago cop could get life in prison for shooting a kid with a knife. I can only imagine the consequences if a judge in Minnesota decided that
there was a chance to leave the situation but instead stayed to have a gun battle from 50 yds away. We would end up with free room and board for a long time.
whelennut

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Rich girls use Vasolene,
Poor girls use lard,
My girl uses axle grease,
and takes it twice as hard. wink

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
A lot of these 'active shooter' situations in public places like shopping areas, malls, theaters, restaurants, schools, workplace, etc, etc, have 'terrain' that could easily put you in a defensive situation at a distances well beyond 7 yards.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by MontanaMarine
A lot of these 'active shooter' situations in public places like shopping areas, malls, theaters, restaurants, schools, workplace, etc, etc, have 'terrain' that could easily put you in a defensive situation at a distances well beyond 7 yards.
Not everybody is a soldier, cop or gamer and gets to train and practice constantly. Given that fact, practicing the most likely scenario is probably the best. The most likely scenario is a defensive shooting at very close range. No doubt that practice can be augmented by longer range shooting/different scenarios if there is opportunity. As to whether or not a given shooting is defensible in court, it would all depend on what happened, but there are possibilities in both realms.

W
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
W
MM,
I will leave those scenarios to the Soldiers of Fortune on the forum.
I will only fire as a last resort. I don't think I would enjoy prison life.

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
I don't train much these days either. But even if I'm only going to shoot 50 rounds, I'll shoot 40 doing close range drills, and 10 of them at some distance.

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
MM,
I will leave those scenarios to the Soldiers of Fortune on the forum.
I will only fire as a last resort. I don't think I would enjoy prison life.

Some people obviously die easier than others.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I don't train much these days either. But even if I'm only going to shoot 50 rounds, I'll shoot 40 doing close range drills, and 10 of them at some distance.
Do you do any unaimed? Point-shooting or the like? Or do you only do aimed fire?

I've got to where I do a lot of 7 yard practicing. The more I did unaimed fire even from close range, the more I think aimed fire is the way to go.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G

MontanaMarine…..absolutely agree; we need to train at distance and with multiple "no shoots" to include "shoot thru" targets……however your typical concealed carrying civilian shooting at 50 yards thru a crowded mall, theater, restaurant, school, workplace is certainly not prudent and possibly not defensible in court assuming that it isn't successful with the first shot……not saying it isn't possible nor that we shouldn't train for it, just that (as the original poster said) that the average civilian in a concealed carry class should be told it's generally a VERY bad idea.

W
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
W
There was a home invasion in town here awhile ago.
Some guy had a an intruder come in through the back door while two were coming in the front door.
They pistol whipped him and took some cash and who knows what else.
Why do I think he maybe was a drug dealer?
I have never heard of any long range gun battles around here.
I think the best strategy is to stay out of these situations. I am retired and live in the country
and am familiar with the Ithaca 37 LAPD.

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
That's why I never drive anywhere I could get into an accident...

W
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
W
Cover and concealment!

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
My son is 14 fugking years old and I can promise you don't want to be a coffee can at 50yds if he's shooting his Model 14 in that direction.

Anybody that can't make solid hits with a pistol at 50yds is a moron, or lazy.

Travis

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by deflave
My son is 14 fugking years old and I can promise you don't want to be a coffee can at 50yds if he's shooting his Model 14 in that direction.

Anybody that can't make solid hits with a pistol at 50yds is a moron, or lazy.

Travis

…..well flave, he's not an "average civilian"……..he won the heredity and environment lottery from the get-go. BTW, how do those compare to dog years?

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Do you do any unaimed? Point-shooting or the like? Or do you only do aimed fire?

I've got to where I do a lot of 7 yard practicing. The more I did unaimed fire even from close range, the more I think aimed fire is the way to go.

I only practice point shooting at 3 yards or so. I like to at least get a flash front sight beyond that distance.

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
I do some practicing up close, fast, moving, from the ground, and so on.

Here's a couple rough vids from a while back. not polished, so go ahead and laugh if you need to,

https://www.facebook.com/shane.pitz...3271/817610011595374/?type=3&theater

https://www.facebook.com/shane.pitz...3271/817704008252641/?type=3&theater

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J

….at 50 yards "demonstrating intent" in most urban environments will be pretty hard to establish I'm guessing…..Out on the ranch, no problem…….on a crowded city street, different story…….if someone walks into a mall carrying a long gun, are you justified in shooting them??? Better not…….a few months ago, I friend of mine was in a Starbucks in Cheyenne. A guy walks in with a collapsible stock AK slung over his shoulder, ordered a cup of coffee and sat down……not sure where injudicious behavior ends and "demonstrating intent" starts…...of course, I could be wrong….

I'd say your guessing wrong. Some points a gun in my direction in an urban setting in a shooting position seems to make intent rather clear.

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J

Making a lot of assumption here, hope the windows are bullet proof as well.

RWE Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Is Tyrese the name of the EE's Pedersoli?

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

Here's a couple rough vids from a while back. not polished, so go ahead and laugh if you need to,

Thanks.

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by RWE

Is Tyrese the name of the EE's Pedersoli?

You maybe on to something!

His EE putting on a few pounds?

[Linked Image]

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by RJM

I probably should not have said "Grand Master" as I only know these people to be top shots and internationally known instructors...and it was not my shoot...it was the National Tactical Invitational...

How many of those have you been to?

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R

Thanks.

that walking into the target is something i try to get people to do that are used to punching paper targets from a stationary position.
as it was explained to me, people expect you to retreat, walking into the target gives you a psychological atvantage, as their little brains without thinking tell them to retreat. It is more difficult than it looks.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
…..well flave, he's not an "average civilian"……..he won the heredity and environment lottery from the get-go. BTW, how do those compare to dog years?

Not sure. I hate dogs. grin

Travis

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

I'd say your guessing wrong. Some points a gun in my direction in an urban setting in a shooting position seems to make intent rather clear.

When I took Ayoob's LFI way back in the '90's, I recall him talking about a case where someone shot a man holding a J frame S&W on him. The range was "long" (but I don't recall how "long"). Ayoob was called to testify because the DA chose to press charges on the grounds that a J frame at that range was no threat (I'm thinking it was somewhere between 25-50 yards). So Ayoob took out a J frame (on video) and put 3 our of 5 rounds onto a man sized target at 100 yards, which pretty much shot down (no pun intended) the DA's case.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Seems like instead of bragging that one can't hit a target at 50 yds, they should practice.

I don't ever recall anyone being criticized for being too good of a shot after a shooting.

RWE Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 458 Lott
Seems like instead of bragging that one can't hit a target at 50 yds, they should practice.

I don't ever recall anyone being criticized for being too good of a shot after a shooting.

People that think too much figure that the information will be held agin' ya' in a court of law, showing that you are some sort of uber gun nut.

Or some such [bleep].

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The number one rule of a gunfight is to win.

Sometimes people ignore the obvious.

W
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
W
458 Lott
In Minnesota we have to be a "Reluctant Participant". Shooting a human being has to be a last resort.
Otherwise you can brag about what a great shot you are to your cell mates after they lock you up.
Is has nothing to do with your ability to make a long shot. That is why there are prairie dog towns,

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
458 Lott
In Minnesota we have to be a "Reluctant Participant". Shooting a human being has to be a last resort.
Otherwise you can brag about what a great shot you are to your cell mates after they lock you up.
Is has nothing to do with your ability to make a long shot. That is why there are prairie dog towns,

As I said, some people die easy. Seems folks living in liberal states are as easy to slay as sheep.

Congrats?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

I just enjoy the crap out of long range handgunning. And I've found that if I can hit a clay pigeon against a backstop at 100 yards, than a coke can at 7 yards is a piece of cake.

But perhaps those days are over for me. Just got a new eyeglass prescription and while I can see the clay pigeon just fine, the sights are REALLY fuzzy now. I haven't been out shooting since I got the new specs....gonna suck if I cant hit at long range anymore...like REALLY suck.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The number one rule of a gunfight is to win.

Sometimes people ignore the obvious.

No, the number one rule of a gun fight is to SURVIVE. There have been many who "won" a gun fight, and died after the fact.

My "goal" is if I'm ever in a gun fight (God forbid), I hope to leave with absolutely no more holes than I was born with. While shooting I plan on moving around like an ADHD 6th grader after a a six pack of Red Bull. Be where the bullets ain't.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
458 Lott
What is the definition of "Reluctant Participant"? Does that mean you have a duty to retreat if possible?

In most states there are 4-5 basic conditions for lethal force in self defense:

1 - You have to be the innocent party; as in, not the aggressor
2 - The threat has to be imminent
3 - The amount of force you use has to be proportional to the threat
4 - Your conduct has to be deemed "reasonable"
5 - In some states you have the duty to retreat

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
In Minnesota you have the duty to retreat. What a frigging shameful thing that is.

I'm pretty sure you have taken at least 2 slugs to you're body before you can return fire in Minnesota.

HOW THE [bleep] anyone could live in such a liberal state and happily pay taxes to those bastards is BEYOND me.

W
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
W
I was a Charter Member of the Gun Owners Civil Rights Alliance.
We had to lobby a long time just for the right to carry.
I used to shoot on the State Service Rifle team and we had a district judge on the team.
He told me that we had a duty to retreat to the furthest corner of the house if someone came in the front door. If jumping out the window and running to the neighbors house was an option
that would probably be expected.
Things have changed a little for the better but not enough.
whelennut

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Would you rather be judged by 12 or carried by six?

The government can tell me I have a duty to be a coward, but I damn well won't put the "duty to the state" above my duty to protect my family.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
In Minnesota you have the duty to retreat. What a frigging shameful thing that is.
True dat. MN Castle Doctrine bill went nowhere in 2015 (IIRC). And it won't get passed until and unless Governor Mark (Crazy Eyes) Dayton gets his azz voted outta office..

I'm pretty sure you have taken at least 2 slugs to you're body before you can return fire in Minnesota.
Nah - not that bad. But if you're just getting the chit kicked outta ya, ya can't draw that howitzer and let 'er rip.. Azzkicking dude's gotta have a weapon of some sort.. And yes - it's idiocy..

WI laws are quite a bit easier for a person to defend themselves, and this state does have a Castle-Doctrine law.. Last, as a bonus, it's NOT controlled by the damn Dems..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by Redneck
True dat. MN Castle Doctrine bill went nowhere in 2015 (IIRC). And it won't get passed until and unless Governor Mark (Crazy Eyes) Dayton gets his azz voted outta office...

Good ol' "Evacuatin' Dayton". You guys can't get rid of HIM?

There is nothing made by man,
which cannot be broken by woman.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I was a Charter Member of the Gun Owners Civil Rights Alliance.
We had to lobby a long time just for the right to carry.
I used to shoot on the State Service Rifle team and we had a district judge on the team.
He told me that we had a duty to retreat to the furthest corner of the house if someone came in the front door. If jumping out the window and running to the neighbors house was an option
that would probably be expected.
Things have changed a little for the better but not enough.
whelennut
I believe there's less than 5 states that still have that requirement, all in the NE. Let's hope common sense arrives sometime soon.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
This thread has been a hoot to read through, & since about everything that could be said has been said, I can only say that I just love the (idiotic & news-flashy) term "active shooter". laugh

But anyone carrying or using a gun, long or short would be well advised to be somewhat proficient over most of the capable range of the weapon.

And, personally, I see very little point for a gun used as an EDC weapon not to have a lethal & effective working range well past 50 yards. (Not talking about a BUG.........)

MM

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by GunGeek
458 Lott
What is the definition of "Reluctant Participant"? Does that mean you have a duty to retreat if possible?

In most states there are 4-5 basic conditions for lethal force in self defense:

1 - You have to be the innocent party; as in, not the aggressor
2 - The threat has to be imminent
3 - The amount of force you use has to be proportional to the threat
4 - Your conduct has to be deemed "reasonable"
5 - In some states you have the duty to retreat

1.means
2. capability
3. intent

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
"Reluctant participant" might be the opposit of "stand your ground." In other words, even if you have a right to be there, you are not permitted to stand your ground if confronted with a potentially lethal attack unless you cannot safely retreat.

B
BMT Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
We ise AOJ in Oregon

Ability-knife gun disparity of size or number

Opportunity-this is the range limitation. If bad guy is 2 miles west and has a J frame I am not in jeopardy

Jeopardy-bag guy intends injury

This is where the OP's instructor is going. At 50 yards you may or may not be in jeopardy.

Mackay notes the fallacy of this position. Nevertheless, even a clean shoot will ruin your life for a long time.

"The Church can and should help modern society by tirelessly insisting that the work of women in the home be recognized and respected by all in its irreplaceable value." Apostolic Exhortation On The Family, Pope John Paul II
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by MontanaMan
This thread has been a hoot to read through, & since about everything that could be said has been said, I can only say that I just love the (idiotic & news-flashy) term "active shooter". laugh

But anyone carrying or using a gun, long or short would be well advised to be somewhat proficient over most of the capable range of the weapon.

And, personally, I see very little point for a gun used as an EDC weapon not to have a lethal & effective working range well past 50 yards. (Not talking about a BUG.........)

MM

Ding! We have a winner! We used to call that 'shooting up to your gun' and it was considered an asset instead of a liability.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If 50 is too far, at what distance should we be accurate? 3, 5, 7?

I feel like some Dot Torture is in order!

B
BMT Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B

The practice is not on the range.

The practice is determining a threat and proper response at ANY range and condition.

What is your backstop at the mall?

What is the best cover at the theater?

Is the exit at Umpqua Community College close to your desk?

If you shoot and kill the bad guy, will your bullet hit the baby behind him?

Shooting is easy

Deciding when to shoot, where to place your shot, and shutting up when the police arrive is the hard part

"The Church can and should help modern society by tirelessly insisting that the work of women in the home be recognized and respected by all in its irreplaceable value." Apostolic Exhortation On The Family, Pope John Paul II
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by BMT
Shooting is easy.

LOL

B
BMT Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Maybe I should say:

"Shooting is the easy part to practice.

The decision to shoot is the hard part to practice"

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
This is another argument over relatively nothing. A person should practice at a lot of varying distances if they have time. I don't think anybody with any sense is going to practice seriously for self-defense by spending a huge amount of time practicing at-distance unless they have a lot of time and ammo and/or have mastered close range shooting. IME and from most of the stuff I've read over the years, that's where TRAINING comes into play because one tends to lose a step if they don't practice regularly (in this case, at close range). I wouldn't purport to be experienced enough to know whether there are guys who can quit training much after mastery though, and continue to shoot well at close range while spending all their time training at longer ranges. Maybe there are.

On the court part of it, there are a whole lot of variables. Just a lot of scenarios here. I don't consider myself, as Jan Libourel used to say, "The Master Gunfighter", nor am I out to kill somebody just because I can or even because I can legally. If somebody is shooting at me from fifty yards and I can get behind cover and further assess the situation in a safer manner than shooting back AND there is no other innocent person at risk, then I am going to duck behind cover and do what is called for next. If some jaybird is shooting at me from fifty yards and the conditions warrant it, then I'm gonna shoot back and hope I shot enough at that distance that I get him before he gets me.

I don't think there's really a lot of room for argument in that assessment.

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J

When I took Ayoob's LFI way back in the '90's, I recall him talking about a case where someone shot a man holding a J frame S&W on him. The range was "long" (but I don't recall how "long"). Ayoob was called to testify because the DA chose to press charges on the grounds that a J frame at that range was no threat (I'm thinking it was somewhere between 25-50 yards). So Ayoob took out a J frame (on video) and put 3 our of 5 rounds onto a man sized target at 100 yards, which pretty much shot down (no pun intended) the DA's case.

The range was about 50 yards on a city street if memory serves.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T

Hey, if you're in the luxurious position of having tons of ammo provided at someone else's expense, and tons of range time, you can do it all, baby. If, however, one must, as is the case with most of us mere mortals, restrict himself to say a hundred rounds a week, and say one hour a week of live trigger time, it's likely better spent focusing on the most likely self defends scenarios.

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Lots of folks hung up on cities. I don't live in one, I'm seldom in one.

If something is going to happen the odds are it will happen where a person spends 99% of their time and that time is spent at home.

50 yard shots defend are more than likely and I ain't worried about backstops.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage

Either that story is part of an incredible imagination, or they encountered the stupidest DA on the planet.

Travis

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
There was a time when police actually had to qualify with a 50 yard course of fire. But then, there was a time when most gun writers actually fired groups with their hands at ranges beyond "combat" distances to test both the metals mettle and their own.

Then there was the Air Force Security Forces patrolman who brought down a deranged killer at 75 yards with his M9.

I killed a groundhog with a 2" Model 10 at a hair over 50 yards as well. But I cheated. I leaned across the hood of my car.

"It's a source of great pride, that when I google my name, I find book titles and not mug shots." Daniel C. Chamberlain
N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N
Originally Posted by Dan_Chamberlain
There was a time when police actually had to qualify with a 50 yard course of fire.

I'd have to check to confirm it's still the case, but I believe NHF&G still does.

�Out of every one hundred men, ten shouldn't even be there, eighty are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior, and he will bring the others back.�
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by BMT
Maybe I should say:

"Shooting is the easy part to practice.

The decision to shoot is the hard part to practice"

I would not lol at that, not even lower case.

I would even say that shooting isn't complicated, decision making is. Not to correct, but to contribute.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye

Hey, if you're in the luxurious position of having tons of ammo provided at someone else's expense, and tons of range time, you can do it all, baby. If, however, one must, as is the case with most of us mere mortals, restrict himself to say a hundred rounds a week, and say one hour a week of live trigger time, it's likely better spent focusing on the most likely self defends scenarios.

So, is that a maybe that you'll shoot it? What I'm hearing is that there's a chance....

N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N
Based on his parameters he should be able to shoot it twice......

George

�Out of every one hundred men, ten shouldn't even be there, eighty are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior, and he will bring the others back.�
RWE Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Scenario:

A negro boosts your pit.

He stops at 50 yards to get into his green truck.

What do you do?

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T

So, is that a maybe that you'll shoot it? What I'm hearing is that there's a chance....
The form of your question is confusing, and seems cryptic in meaning. Could you make it less so?

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N

The form of your question is confusing, and seems cryptic in meaning. Could you make it less so?

Here......you're whining about having one hour and 100 rounds to work with. This course of fire meets your parameters..... He's wondering if you're actually going to shoot or continue to talk. I know where my money is.....

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by NH K9
[quote=The_Real_Hawkeye][quote=Bluedreaux][quote=The_Real_Hawkeye]
Here......you're whining about having one hour and 100 rounds to work with. This course of fire meets your parameters..... He's wondering if you're actually going to shoot or continue to talk. I know where my money is.....
I was whining??

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Thanks.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Would you not agree that it's easier to practice and train if somebody not only pays for the ammo, but provides a place to do so, possibly an instructor to train you, and probably pays you for doing it?

The average guy shoots because he likes to, but has to pay for a place to do so, buy his own ammo (and firearms), pay for instruction and do it on his own time not while getting paid to do so.

Do you see any difference here in why, how, etc. regular folks train as opposed to LE? Many here like to knock guys who haven't taken a half-dozen nationally-known courses and who don't "train" every day inclusive of at distances that would make Elmer Keith cringe in shock and awe. There are differences though.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
None of which has anything to do with a slow fire, 50 round drill at 3 yards that lasts 15 minutes.

Instead of just shooting the drill or just shrugging and thinking "I don't want to", people start talking about why they can't shoot-why other people shoot more. Lots of typing, not much shooting.

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
If one is going to carry a gun, one should be proficient with it. Seems pretty logical to me.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
None of which has anything to do with a slow fire, 50 round drill at 3 yards that lasts 15 minutes.

Instead of just shooting the drill or just shrugging and thinking "I don't want to", people start talking about why they can't shoot-why other people shoot more. Lots of typing, not much shooting.
Are you talking to me? I've got a target in my back yard about a hundred yards from where I sit. Set up is what prevents me from doing more. Lots goes into practice that ain't practice. I keep my guns clean and ready. I've got some calls to make and some stuff to do pretty quickly, or I could be out shooting right now...Of course I'd have to wade through mud to do it. My "range" isn't inside, heated, a/c'ed, etc.

I'm probably coming off as griping about cops getting to shoot. Cops shooting a lot is a good thing as long as they're a good cop. I was just explaining some of the aspects of average guys' and their "training" and "practice" and why it differs from somebody who is a professional.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If one is going to carry a gun, one should be proficient with it. Seems pretty logical to me.

You've been on this forum long enough to know logic rarely if ever enters into the equation.

N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N
Originally Posted by NH K9
[quote=The_Real_Hawkeye][quote=Bluedreaux][quote=The_Real_Hawkeye]
I was whining??

Sure had that "tone". Maybe a failed attempt at snarky/smarmy......Either way, the 50 round course meets your mere mortal criteria.

W
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by RWE
Scenario:

A negro boosts your pit.

What do you do?

Call 911 wave goodbye to the dog.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Shoot the pit...and hope the bullet over penetrates.

"It's a source of great pride, that when I google my name, I find book titles and not mug shots." Daniel C. Chamberlain
W
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
W
Where did the dog get a green truck?

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by RWE
Scenario:

A negro boosts your pit.

What do you do?

Call 911 wave goodbye to the dog.

50 yards......close the distance enough that you can hand him gas money for carrying the dog off?

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H

whelennut

i've always felt that respectable handgun accuracy at 50 yards was a good skill to have. when i'm out at the range and shooting various stagings at closer ranges, i usually conclude by shooting at 50 yards--both supported and unsupported. targets are either paper plates, steel, or milk jugs.

in general however, i place most emphasis on 25 yards and under. back in 1988, i designed a target and guidelines for this exercise that other shooters dubbed "Jerry's Standard" to sharpen skills with--and to use scores from each session as a "benchmark" for reference. any sidearm will work, and it was deliberately designed to be compatible with 5-shot snub revolvers so often carried for self defense. (i'll note that .22 rimfires are great for getting one's feet wet in this type of shooting).

the target is made from butcher wrap, which comes in rolls 18 inches wide. cut a piece off the roll that is 30 inches long. you work on the side of the paper that is not waxed. using a pencil, a yardstick, and a scissors, make a target with the dimensions as shown below. note that the red lines are part of the directions in how to make the target--nothing more. when the target is finished, you will have a silhouette sporting a long, narrow rectangle, and a "u" shape around the rectangle. these lines are very lightly drawn in pencil, so they are barely visible. once you have one made, you can use it as a pattern for the others. my wife and i make a couple dozen of these at a time on the kitchen table. (hope my hasty measurements were all correct).

[Linked Image]

to shoot the Standard:

from the "low ready position" at the beep, or a partner's signal:

5 shots at 25 yards in 5 seconds or less;

5 shots at 20 yards in 4 seconds or less;

5 shots at 15 yards in 3 seconds or less;

5 shots at 10 yards in 3 seconds or less, firing with weak hand;

score is 5 points in the inner rectangle; 3 points in the section immediately outside that inner rectangle; 1 point for anything outside of the previous two areas. if a round breaks a line, you get the higher point value. total points are 100, for a perfect score of 100%.

(note: if you want to fire these from a draw, lengthen each time given above by one second--ie., 5 seconds at the 25 yard line changes to 6 seconds).

this target is designed to assist one in acquiring CNS hits. the Standard covers many desirable skills, such as target acquisition, precision at longer ranges, shot placement (most fire somewhat low their first time, hitting at or below the diaphram), etc., etc.

over the past 27 years of watching a cross section of various shooters perform this course of fire, some things i've noted:

most shoot too fast, doing poorly in shot placement;

most score below 50%;

most shots fall far too low;

often, shots fall to the side of center;

shooting the Standard will test your mettle, and it took a lot of effort for me to push my scores into the mid to upper 90's using a self defense rig, such as a Hk P7, Sig P226, Hk USP in 9 mm, Colt Commander in 9 mm, etc...

no, it's not a "perfect" exercise--there is no "THIS IS THE WAY", but it will help sharpen skillsets. as one gains some experience, it can be easily modified to meet your specific needs...

all learning is like a funnel:
however, contrary to popular thought, one begins with the the narrow end.
the more you progress, the more it expands into greater discovery--and the less of an audience you will have...
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Dan_Chamberlain
Shoot the pit...and hope the bullet over penetrates.

They WAY over-penetrate on Pits.

His bitch had connections...

B
BMT Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by SargeMO

His bitch had connections...

LOL

N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N
Today's situation in San Bernadino is a good example of why it's good to be able to shoot at longer distances. Say you are in a position where you want to or NEED to stop an active shooter in a public environment.

As has been stated, "You get the fight you get.....not the fight you want!".

Biden's most truthful quote ever came during his first press conference, 03/25/21.
Drum roll please...... "I don't know, to be clear." and THAT is one promise he's kept!!!
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J

Either that story is part of an incredible imagination, or they encountered the stupidest DA on the planet.

Travis

Walter Mitty is day dreaming again.

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O

Talking about not shooting. Where's our monthly drills?

Dink

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
It's posted. Dot Torture.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
The DT looks good.

Thanks Mav.

Dave

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by jimmyp

Travis

A FOS faceoff?

Gibson vs. Ayboob!

Who can fill the room most fastest?

TFF.

Clark

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
It's posted. Dot Torture.

I missed it.

I have been spending to much time on the rifle range and haven't shot a pistol much lately. It should be ugly.....lol.

Dink

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
So if I'm walking in my yard and a guy starts slinging shots at me for 150 yards I should just accept death?

It's according to how good you are with a hand gun at 150 yards.

W
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by Nebraska
Today's situation in San Bernadino is a good example of why it's good to be able to shoot at longer distances. Say you are in a position where you want to or NEED to stop an active shooter in a public environment.

In Minnesota you might get charged with second degree murder.
They have an aversion to people acting out what they see in Chuck Norris movies.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
just holler at him "it's a gun free zone, go next door"

or two rounds in the air with the ole dbl barrel shotgun, and Uncle Joe sez you'll sleep sound as a bug in a rug

sometimes I forget just how stupid Democrats are and the stupid chit they say

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
They have an aversion to people acting out what they see in Chuck Norris movies.

Did your mentally handicapped instructor teach you that?

Travis

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by jimmyp

Travis

A FOS faceoff?

Gibson vs. Ayboob!

Who can fill the room most fastest?

TFF.

Clark
So if I find the specific case and post it, are you going to STFU; yeah, I thought not. You're a douche.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

"MIGHT" get charged with Second Degree murder, vs quite likely being killed by a terrorist OR being able to stop said terrorist from killing other innocent people.

If those are your choices and you'd rather be concerned with the "might get charged" bit, then WTF are you actually carrying for in the first place? You "might" get charged in ANY SD situation.

Oh, and quite clearly MN SUCKS as far as the 2A is concerned. What a ridiculous situation to be put in, and what a horsechit "law" that must be.

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage

So if I find the specific case and post it, are you going to STFU; yeah, I thought not. You're a douche.

STFU? No.

But I'd love to see the case.

Travis

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
So getting back to the OP's original thoughts and statements. Here's an article where 10 case of "longer range" defensive fire was used and justified.

http://www.tactical-life.com/combat-handguns/justifiable-long-shots/

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

STFU? No.

But I'd love to see the case.

Travis
Well here's the thing. If you will man up for an apology if I post it, then I'll make the effort and call Mas.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Means - Would a reasonable person feel the potential threat had the means to inflict egregious bodily harm or death?

Opportunity - Would a reasonable person feel the potential threat had the opportunity to inflict egregious bodily harm or death?

Intent - Would a reasonable person feel the potential threat demonstrated an intent to inflict egregious bodily harm or death?

This is all you need to know.

Perry

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Well here's the thing. If you will man up for an apology if I post it, then I'll make the effort and call Mas.

I see you've finally opted out of the quick disconnect vagina, and went full time.

Dave

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

So you're legally obligated to be a coward.

Congratulations?

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

I see you've finally opted out of the quick disconnect vagina, and went full time.

Dave
That is humorous. No way around it.

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G

So you're legally obligated to be a coward.

Congratulations?

The perps had body armor. How would being able to shoot longer distances with a hand gun have helped?

Secondly, getting yourself or your family to safety without having to fire a shot is not an act of cowardness.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by GeorgiaBoy

The perps had body armor. How would being able to shoot longer distances with a hand gun have helped?

Wow. What a brain tease.

I'll have to really think about this one.

Travis

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage

Secondly, getting yourself or your family to safety without having to fire a shot is not an act of cowardness.

It is if other people are dropping like flies and you have the means to stop the threat.

But then again, I'm not from the south. You probably see things different.

Travis

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Any gunfire will cause them to pull back to cover, which reduces their ability to shoot people. A vest doesn't make anyone superman. Even with a vest, you don't want to be shot at with a handgun. At the least, it's quite painful to be shot with substantial handgun rounds, and they can even inflict lethal wounds through and around them. Basically, I'm speaking of suppressive fire.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

It is if other people are dropping like flies and you have the means to stop the threat.

Travis
The Sheriff here told us that everybody doing the ALICE training thinks they are cold-blooded because they are stepping over kids who are laying there (pretending to) bleed out, while trying to neutralize the shooter(s). It all depends on the situation. If the shooter wounds somebody beside you and then moved to a different area, administering first aid could get done. But if the shooter was continuing to shoot, right there in the area, it doesn't matter if it's your son, your wife or some stranger who has been shot, you have to take the threat out NOW because if you don't then how will you administer first aid later or do anything but but be somebody else to deal with if you become a casualty too. These situations are replete with hard decisions. Talking body counts of two or three as opposed to a dozen sounds totally uncaring, but there it is.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Wow. What a brain tease.

I'll have to really think about this one.

Travis

It's never too late to turn a Muslim into a Hindu

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G

Travis

If you have a hand gun, you don't have the means to stop the threat.

Think a little more about the body armor.

But then again, I'm not from deflave vill. Being another fly may seem heroic to you.

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Why not? What class 'body armor' were they wearing? Helmets? what body armor did they have on their extremities?

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J

Don't assume your ability/limit with a handgun is everyone's ability/limit with a handgun.

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Why not? What class 'body armor' were they wearing? Helmets? what body armor did they have on their extremities?

Despite the bravado expressed here often, I fully expect that anyone without close quarter "active" military battlefield experience can say what they will do in such circumstances.

I expect most would crap their pants.

One would have to have a huge tactical advantage in their position to negate the tactical advantage of rifle over pistol.

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by jds44

Don't assume your ability/limit with a handgun is everyone's ability/limit with a handgun.

Don't assume that under the nature of that incident, you would do anything other that $hit yourself.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Shoot them in the face or the crotch. Both if you can.

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S

Despite the bravado expressed here often, I fully expect that anyone without close quarter "active" military battlefield experience can say what they will do in such circumstances.

One would have to have a huge tactical advantage in their position to negate the tactical advantage of rifle over pistol.

So you can't answer the question. Apparently your answer is to DIE.

[Linked Image]

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S

Don't assume that under the nature of that incident, you would do anything other that $hit yourself.

You thinking the broad with a nursing 6 month old had EXTREME MILITARY training? She was likely a Ninja in her home country, is that what I'm getting?

How about the husband, tell me about his EXTREME MILITARY training.

PS: Hopefully if you're out with the family and something happens their will be a man around to protect your wife.

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G

You thinking the broad with a nursing 6 month old had EXTREME MILITARY training? She was likely a Ninja in her home country, is that what I'm getting?

PS: Hopefully if you're out with the family and something happens their will be a man around to protect your wife.

They had the element of surprise and superior fire power. No EXTREME MILITARY traing needed for a mad-man mission.

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Got it, you'll just wait to die.

W
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
W
In Minnesota we have the four pillars governing the use of Deadly Force.
Section 609.065 Justifiable Taking of a Life.

Reasonably in immediate fear of death or great bodily harm.

Reluctant Participant

No reasonable means of retreat.

No lesser force will do.

Other states have other laws but this is the way it is in Minnesota.

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
What are the four pillars that killers need to adhere to?

JOG Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Reluctant Participant

No lesser force will do.

Sorry, no. Did you just make that stuff up?

609.065 JUSTIFIABLE TAKING OF LIFE.

The intentional taking of the life of another is not authorized by section 609.06, except when necessary in resisting or preventing an offense which the actor reasonably believes exposes the actor or another to great bodily harm or death, or preventing the commission of a felony in the actor's place of abode.

MN Statute 609.065

Forgive me my nonsense, as I also forgive the nonsense of those that think they talk sense.
Robert Frost
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

You analyzed your way into losing without a valid reason. The San Bernadino killers were relying on victims to be unarmed and feeling intimidated by their tacticool rifles. They went to a center for developmentally disabled people, not a police station, gun store or inner city gas station.

"Don't believe everything you see on the Internet" - Abraham Lincoln
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G

Travis

Think a little more about the body armor.

But then again, I'm not from deflave vill. Being another fly may seem heroic to you.

Wrong again

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Got it, you'll just wait to die.

No. You don't. Read farther up the thread. Maybe you will catch the context....but again, maybe not.

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by Cheyenne

You analyzed your way into losing without a valid reason. The San Bernadino killers were relying on victims to be unarmed and feeling intimidated by their tacticool rifles. They went to a center for developmentally disabled people, not a police station, gun store or inner city gas station.

They could have went into a shopping mall--dispatched a dozen people with that weaponry in less than 30 seconds.

The end result would more than likely be the same.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by JOG

Reluctant Participant

No lesser force will do.

The intentional taking of the life of another is not authorized by section 609.06, except when necessary in resisting or preventing an offense which the actor reasonably believes exposes the actor or another to great bodily harm or death, or preventing the commission of a felony in the actor's place of abode.

MN Statute 609.065

Oops, damned facts hump up bullschit every time.

That statute SPECIFICALLY authorizes deadly force to prevent an offense in which the "shooter/actor" believes exposes another person to great bodily harm or death.

I.e., engaging a damned terrorist if possible.

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J

They had the element of surprise and superior fire power. No EXTREME MILITARY traing needed for a mad-man mission.

You would not stand a chance, because you have a negative attitude. I on the other hand "expect" to come out on top and will do so by never giving up.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Sounds like GeorgiaGal lets her uterus handle all the critical thinking.

Travis

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C

Amen.

"The number one problem with America is, a whole lot of people need shot, and nobody is shooting them."
-Master Chief Hershel Davis

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

They could have went into a shopping mall--dispatched a dozen people with that weaponry in less than 30 seconds.

The element of surprise gives them a good chance of “dispatching” people wherever they choose to hit, but they tend to pick places where people are more likely to go into panic mode than to fight back and they thereby up their odds from the start. These psychos and terrorists (whether Columbine, Planned Parenthood or San Bernadino) don’t take prisoners, so surrendering is the same as suicide. Playing Dodge Ball in a conference room with incoming rifle bullets is a more risky, less effective proposition than turning it into a two way street with pistol fire.

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Sounds like GeorgiaGal lets her uterus handle all the critical thinking.

Travis

Critical thinking is foreign to you.

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G

The element of surprise gives them a good chance of “dispatching” people wherever they choose to hit, but they tend to pick places where people are more likely to go into panic mode than to fight back and they thereby up their odds from the start. These psychos and terrorists (whether Columbine, Planned Parenthood or San Bernadino) don’t take prisoners, so surrendering is the same as suicide. Playing Dodge Ball in a conference room with incoming rifle bullets is a more risky, less effective proposition than turning it into a two way street with pistol fire.

All of this sounds good...just remember, when you're returning fire...you are responsible for every round you fire.

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S

All of this sounds good...just remember, when you're returning fire...you are responsible for every round you fire.

Agreed, we should be held to a much higher standard and more liable than the killers.

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G

Agreed, we should be held to a much higher standard and more liable than the killers.

I do not agree with your position.

However, it does not matter if you use your weapon to save your life, or the life of someone else, you will have to answer for any of your rounds that cause colateral damage.

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Then I shouldn't shoot, I'll wait to be shot.

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Then I shouldn't shoot, I'll wait to be shot.

That's up to you. It's your call.

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
You've scared me.

V
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
V
We are all talking about long range accuracy but just a thought to stir it up. If I am carrying a pistol and find myself needing to use it against a threat with long range capabilities I will need to consider closing ground. Just like proximity negates skill, proximity can also negate a ballistic advantage.

If armed with a pistol against someone with a rifle I would not want to start my portion of the fight at 50 yards, I would want to get as close as possible before I fired the first round. I agree that most wolves will run when they are engaged whether they are hit or not and even shots that miss can save lives, but to finish the fight with a pistol I would rather be at 5 feet than 50 yards.

Hunt hard, kill clean, waste nothing and offer no apologies.

"In rifle work, group size is of some interest...but it is well to remember that a rifleman does not shoot groups, he shoots shots." Jeff Cooper

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

I hadn't thought of that. Thanks for the tip.

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
You've scared me.

"Hopefully if you're out with the family and something happens their there will be a man around to protect your wife."

W
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by JOG

Reluctant Participant

No lesser force will do.

No It is taken from the Multi State Carry Course
at Bills Gun Shop and Range www.billsgs.com

MN Statute 609.065

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage

Laughing my ass off...

No wonder the south is the south.

Travis

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage

So is acting like a pussy.

Good thing we got gals like you to coach us along.

Travis

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Bill really has his schit together.

Holy fugk...

My ribs hurt.

Travis

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by JOG

Reluctant Participant

No lesser force will do.

No It is taken from the Multi State Carry Course
at Bills Gun Shop and Range www.billsgs.com

MN Statute 609.065

Bill needs to learn how to read

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G

So is acting like a pussy.

Good thing we got gals like you to coach us along.

Travis

No. Actually, you pull that off very well.

It's litttle wonder that GFY is such a familiar term with you.

It must be one of several little talents you posess.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
What is your talent?

Besides talking out your ass, hiding, and not being able to use a handgun?

Dave

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J

No wonder the south is the south.

Travis

Hey now...!!! Don't judge us all by one guy in Georgia that is scared of his own shadow and can't shoot.

Last edited by jds44; 12/06/15.
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
You gotta wonder if he even carries. And if so, why?

Travis

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
There is a Woody Allen-like mindset in the the CCW community I jokingly refer to as being 'Ayoobed to Death'. It results from endless stories of eeeee-vile prosecutors whose only goal in life is to torment folks who dust some azzhole who really needed it.

Now I don't know exactly where this is occurring but it ain't in MO. I've got about four decades in LE here, spent over one of the working directly for a prosecutor. In that time I have seen maybe a dozen righteous defensive shootings and none of them was charged with anything. Yes, some were questioned by the po-po. If they truthfully related a set of circumstances that met the legal requirements for a justifiable use if deadly force--and the evidence, witness accounts etc. supported their story--they went on their way. This is not to say they weren't sued, but many states have added legislation that prohibits civil action for a justified use of force. You are responsible to know the laws governing the defense of self or others, wherever you might need to defend yourself.

There's another thing that needs to be said here. There is an undeclared war against the civilian population of the United States in particular and western civilization in general. In many parts of the US, you can go about armed. This accomplishes nothing if you are not willing or able to shoot down a rabid dog hiding inside a human body.

Yes, you are responsible for every round you fire. IMO there is no better insurance than the ability to shoot with surgical precision. I have worked hard for the ability to accomplish that with my carry gun to 50 yards, or a tad further.

I think the close/fast skillset is just as important as it ever was. A lot of these mass killings occur at very close range, either because the killer wants to see the reaction or they are just a piss poor shot. If they stumble onto a committed pistolero who can index fire instantly and precisely, they are going to get a face and/or crotch full of hot lead. Assume they are wearing body armor or explosives. Send the MF'ers to their reward as unrecognizable eunuchs.

The present enemy don't take marksmanship very seriously; but they have some strengths, which must be understood to be exploited.

The enemy has no compunction for killing and gets brownie points for high body count. They average CCW guy (or cop for that matter) doesn't want to kill anybody. If you get caught up in one of these incidents and you can't 'throw that switch' you are asking to be another slaughtered sheep. What we are dealing with is rabid wolves in human form. Ignore the biped and kill the wolf inside him.

The enemy exploits the element of surprise and has little fear his victims will fight back effectively. He has no understanding of OODA and no Plan B. Instant and precise return fire will fook up his murder spree or kill him outright.

Only you can decide whether you can do that.

Last edited by SargeMO; 12/06/15.

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
What is your talent?

Besides talking out your ass, hiding, and not being able to use a handgun?

Dave

One of them is recognizing insecurity.

You really are a jr. high kid inside, and have never gotten over those trying years.

You fight that insecurity by watching cowboy movies i'd wager.

When you carry, do you feel like you're Clint Eastwood, or John Wayne?

Maybe, you just want to feel Eastwood? Afterall, Wayne is dead.

Page 1 of 17 1 2 3 16 17

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

207 members (12344mag, 300jimmy, 22kHornet, 10Glocks, 257 roberts, 2UP, 22 invisible), 2,268 guests, and 923 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,281
Posts18,467,711
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.