Hop To
Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
G
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by elkhunternm
GeeDub,is there a rifle you don't own,but would like to own?

ya'

[Linked Image]

I'm old, but not that old. LOL

There are a few that I've sold due to financial embarrassment or foolishness I would not mind re-acquiring.

I sold a Cooper Classic in 17 HeBee, a Cooper Montana Varminter with fluted stainless barrel in 6.5 x 284, A Sako
Vixen Varmint in 222 Rem, a Browning High Wall in 454 Casull. Those I would not mind having back.

There are quite a few others that I can think of.

A sweet Merkel or Sauer drilling in say a 6.5 x 16 ga. x 16 ga.

A Blazer K95 in 7 x 57

A Beretta Silver Pigeon gr 3 or gr 5 in a 20/28 ga. combo

Stuff like that.

The greatest impediment to owning the ones I desire is that it is hard to find them at the price I want to pay.

Just sayin'

GWB

A Kill Artist. When I draw, I draw blood.
BP-B6

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Buy a used Sako and spend the rest on good optics.

“Lighten up Francis”
O
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
O
All the input has been great. "Window shopping" on the internet has been fun, and of course opened my eyes to the beauty of such things as the Cooper Custom Classic with a checkered bolt knob, beautiful shadow line cheek piece and inletted sling studs.

Out of budget, but not out of mind. One can dream, right?

G
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by OutdoorAg
All the input has been great. "Window shopping" on the internet has been fun, and of course opened my eyes to the beauty of such things as the Cooper Custom Classic with a checkered bolt knob, beautiful shadow line cheek piece and inletted sling studs.

Out of budget, but not out of mind. One can dream, right?

Your darn skippy!!!!

[Linked Image]

Back before the Cooper repeaters got so popular, I ran into a trust fund baby that had this Cooper 52 Jackson Game rifle.
He was on his way to Briley's to by a high dollar shotgun. He'd got the Cooper as a graduation payment and did not want it. I got it and 5 boxes of premium ammo for $1,250.

Dream and be patient. It took me 10 years to find the Cooper in 20 Vartarg at the price I wanted. Three years after I started looking to get my first Merkel.

[Linked Image]

Plan your work and work your plan and make your dreams come true.

[Linked Image]

keep a sharp eye pealed.

No telling what you might land on.

JAPPFT,

GWB

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
My first rifle was a Sako and I still have it over 45 years later. It's a great rifle, but I wouldn't buy a new Sako 85. Read this thread then do a google search on "Sako ejection problem" and decide for yourself.

http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/6439384/Sako_85_ejection_failure

I have a buddy who bought a new Sako 85 finnlight in 7 Mag. and he has the ejection problem. The worst thing is Beretta/Sako won't do anything to help.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by NH_Sharpshooter
Originally Posted by Bricktop
Originally Posted by NH_Sharpshooter
I'm not Tex, but that is Ruger #1B single shot. Lovely rifles, but can be finicky and they are a beeotch to put a scope on with comfortable eye relief.
How many do you own?
Oh crap, did I hurt your feelings again? I was trying to be careful, but I guess you are more sensitive than I figured. Sorry again!

To answer your question I have owned and or loaded for/hunted about 10 #1s and #3s. Most were 1A's, a couple 1S's ( i seem to recall the .45-70s were S's), an RSI, and a 9.3x74R that was in a tropical. The 1B's never appealed to me being a 8-8.5 lb single shot, but to each their own. Its amazing what you get to play with when you grow up and live down the street from the factory where these things are built!

Have a nice day!
That's fairly impressive, considering you were just 14 when you started posting here and were asking your dad for permission to buy a muzzleloader just a few years ago. In fact, I'm quite surprised you haven't been sharing all of your Ruger single shot knowledge with the single shot forum. However, I noticed your answer is somewhat vague, since the number cited was "about 10" and combined with other things you've posted, I think only one digit in that number is correct. You should post the actual number of Number 1s you own for the people you're trying to advise. It places a true value on that advice.

I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass. And I'm all out of bubblegum.

Originally Posted by safariman
I do tend to fit in well wherever I go in person.

Originally Posted by Fireball2
The campfire is the most outside exposure I get. No TV, no newspaper.
G
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G
I've a 308 Win and a 6.5 x 55 in the 85 Bavarians. Sweet shooters, set triggers and...............

no rejection do to faulty ejection. LOL

Easy fix, don't buy a long action 85.

Plenty of previous models from which to choose...........

[Linked Image]

Just sayin'

GWB

E
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
E
Originally Posted by geedubya
Originally Posted by elkhunternm
GeeDub,is there a rifle you don't own,but would like to own?

ya'

[Linked Image]

I'm old, but not that old. LOL

There are a few that I've sold due to financial embarrassment or foolishness I would not mind re-acquiring.

I sold a Cooper Classic in 17 HeBee, a Cooper Montana Varminter with fluted stainless barrel in 6.5 x 284, A Sako
Vixen Varmint in 222 Rem, a Browning High Wall in 454 Casull. Those I would not mind having back.

There are quite a few others that I can think of.

A sweet Merkel or Sauer drilling in say a 6.5 x 16 ga. x 16 ga.

A Blazer K95 in 7 x 57

A Beretta Silver Pigeon gr 3 or gr 5 in a 20/28 ga. combo

Stuff like that.

The greatest impediment to owning the ones I desire is that it is hard to find them at the price I want to pay.

Just sayin'

GWB

Thanks for the answer GeeDub.

Yup,the price is almost always a little too much. wink

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
D
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
D
I own a couple of dozed rifles and admit I cull the ones I M not really entranced with. Maybe my favorite of all is a Super Grade Model 70 with 22 inch barrel. That was a shot show special. I never saw a Super Grade Model 70 that wasn't a fantastic value! Of all of my rifles the ones with great wood stocks and great bluing are the preferred ones. I own synthetic stocks and stainless barrels and actions, some are really remarkable. If they aren't real accurate I part company quick. For more than three shots though.........it better be a Super Grade Model 70. Real lightweight barrel profiles start drifting shots after those first three.

K
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
K
New I would get a Model 79 JOC tribute or custom tribute.
[Linked Image]

I know that I happened into a Jay Frazier Mexican Mauser in 6.5X55 for $675.
[Linked Image]

Right now there is a Jules Batchini custom Springfield under the price you suggest. That is a pretty nice rifle.

IC B3

D
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
D
Kaboku's suggestion of a Winchester Model 70 Jack O'Connor is great!

Only problem I have no idea where you could still buy one! The last single one I know of for sale departed! It was the highest quality rifle for the price I have ever seen! His photo shows the Custom Tribute rifle with features that easily made it a $6,000 rifle at $2,500!!! That Winchester grand slam may never happen again! I own one. You could try to see if someone has a JOC tribute they are selling, but I sincerely doubt it! That exceeds your budget by a slim amount. I have had offers for mine all from gun dealers well above the Winchester sale price. I have followed high end commerative rifles from the early 60s. Not once have I ever seen the equal of that rifle. I knew Jack O'Connor, the great Outdoor Sports Writer, he would have been very proud of that rifle.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'd be tempted to find a used Kimber Select with nice wood and have it rebarreled with top-end SS, cerakoted, and properly bedded. Should be possible for around $2k.

Now with even more aplomb
G
GF1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Consider a Ruger #1. This one is one of the Boddington series, the Kudu, in 300 H&H; a #1S. I like the feel of the #1S the best, as the somewhat longer barrel balances best for me. It's been boring accurate right out of the box, with an excellent trigger.

[Linked Image]

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
If a single shot is your thing; as GW mentioned some of the Brownings have some beautiful wood under the acrylic finish. The stock was touched up on this B-78 with a Shilen barrel in .257 Wby.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

It shoots VERY well,the 4th shot is a few clicks left and 10 down that would have put it in the top group.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by Cruiser1; 12/01/15.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Mercy ceases to be a virtue when it enables further injustice. -Brent Weeks

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
O
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
O
I think at this point, I'll keep my eyes open as I try to save away some cash for a Cooper Custom Classic. The Super Grade Winnies look really great, and I wouldn't be opposed to the right one in the right cal.

A few mins of searching and reading have scared me away from the new Sakos. I have no need to inherit an ejection problem.

O
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
O
But goodness the new Sako 85 Classics sure are nice.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Heck, I forgot I have a project gun that needs to be finished up. For quite a bit less than $2000 I'll have this 32-40 made in 1903 all set for hunting. Can't get much more proper for wood and blue than turn of the 20th century factory engraved... grin

[Linked Image]

The Savage 99 Pocket Reference”.
All models and variations of 1895’s, 1899’s and 99’s covered.
Also dates, checkering, engraving.. Find at www.savagelevers.com
M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
I won't be selling my M70 JOC Tribute. It's a tack driver and the halo rifle of my collection. The value of this rifle is going up fast.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by DaveyJ
Kaboku's suggestion of a Winchester Model 70 Jack O'Connor is great!

Only problem I have no idea where you could still buy one! The last single one I know of for sale departed! It was the highest quality rifle for the price I have ever seen! His photo shows the Custom Tribute rifle with features that easily made it a $6,000 rifle at $2,500!!! That Winchester grand slam may never happen again! I own one. You could try to see if someone has a JOC tribute they are selling, but I sincerely doubt it! That exceeds your budget by a slim amount. I have had offers for mine all from gun dealers well above the Winchester sale price. I have followed high end commerative rifles from the early 60s. Not once have I ever seen the equal of that rifle. I knew Jack O'Connor, the great Outdoor Sports Writer, he would have been very proud of that rifle.

Last edited by mystro; 12/01/15.

The Lord loves humility.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger

I don't have room on the Campfire to post all the pictures of dead animals that I have shot with a Sako. I am not interested in the latest Sako offerings and stand by my earlier post on Pre-Garcia and Garcia era rifles that have a track record matched by few. They are still found in excellent shape around the $1000.00 price and will still outperform Cooper rifles at several hundred $ more. Don't let that group they send with the rifle fool you, they are 50 yard targets...

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
691 members (257 roberts, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 06hunter59, 222Sako, 222ND, 76 invisible), 2,781 guests, and 1,337 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,628
Posts18,398,765
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.