Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
mystro,

Every one of the Jack O'Connor tribute rifles I've heard about is a real shooter, including mine.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
GB1

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by shrapnel

I don't have room on the Campfire to post all the pictures of dead animals that I have shot with a Sako. I am not interested in the latest Sako offerings and stand by my earlier post on Pre-Garcia and Garcia era rifles that have a track record matched by few. They are still found in excellent shape around the $1000.00 price and will still outperform Cooper rifles at several hundred $ more. Don't let that group they send with the rifle fool you, they are 50 yard targets...

I believe they are shot indoors as well.

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Yea, not ammo sensitive and the JOC seems to be the most accurate rifle I have ever owned. The gun shoots better than my skill level and I am able to get 1' groups at 200 yards and even 300 yards with factory ammo when I am on my game. I only shoot mine at the range now and won't take it hunting because the stock can not ever be replace from Winchester from what they tell me. It's certainly a "blue chip" rifle from Winchester and will only appreciate in value. I have many other fine M70's that I hunt with.

[Linked Image]

2p-
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
mystro,

Every one of the Jack O'Connor tribute rifles I've heard about is a real shooter, including mine.

Last edited by mystro; 12/01/15.

The Lord loves humility.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by BobinNH
I'd look for a pre 64 M70.

Or a Sako.... smile

Same here.. Both of those would be pretty high picks for getting a solid, good looking working rifle...

Semper Fi
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
I would agree with Schrapnel, GW and others that you can't go wrong with the older Sako's. I have a few from a 1956 L46 Varmint to a 1999 M75 Hunter Stainless and they are all nice. This Pre-Garcia L61R Deluxe in 300H&H would be the favorite; but $2k would not buy it, especially since it has my initial in Sterling Silver:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Last edited by Cruiser1; 12/01/15.
IC B2

O
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
O
So here's a follow up question, and I'm sure this will be personal preference as well...

What quality level of gun would you say is "too fancy" or "too nice" to make a week in, week out hunting rifle? Not a workhorse gun by any means, I have synthetic stocked guns for that. But I plan to hunt this rifle. It will take on a ding or two or three I'm sure. When is it "too nice" to hunt without stressing over it?

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Buy a nice gun of your choice that already has a few dings, save some cash and roll with it.

If the above 300H&H took a bad fall; it could cost me $500-1000; but I still take it out occasionally.

Last edited by Cruiser1; 12/01/15.
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
I'll tell you what. I looked at a M70 SuperGrade yesterday and it was a beautiful piece! It was a .300WSM, bolt was smooth as glass like M70's usually are, and it fit me like a glove! laugh

Camp is where you make it.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

These 2 rifles are 30-06 and 300 WBY deluxes, between them many hunts and over 30 elk. They aren't unmarked, but they still look great. Life is too short to hunt with an ugly gun...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
It would certainlay be foolish to take a pristine, collectable rifle out to get banged around, especially if it was a big investment in your eyes. The rifles pictured here though are meant to be used, shot, hunted, and given reasonable care afterward. I'm careful with all my guns in the field, not just the pretty ones, but they get rained and snowed on and bang into my binoculars occasionally. It's inevitable that they're going to pick up a few dings. Don't sweat it, they're tools.

What fresh Hell is this?
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by shrapnel

[Linked Image]

This picture should be in a beer or cigarette commercial.

Mercy ceases to be a virtue when it enables further injustice. -Brent Weeks

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
That is a tricky question. Collectors or limited edition rifles are too nice to be used on a hard hunt for me. I feel more comfortable shooting those rifles on the range in a controlled environment. I don't want to be constantly babying a pristine collectors rifle while trying to beat my way through the woods. I've tried that before and it's frustrating as hell. A standard or deluxe model 70 in a featherweight is what I would want to hunt with. When the weather turns nasty you can't beat a fine SS rifle like a Kimber Montana or the like. If the weather isn't sloppy I'm more inclined to carry a traditional model 70 featherweight that is nice looking but replaceable. That way any little ding or scratch becomes a cherished memory of that hunt.

This is what I feel comfortably hunting with as opposed to my JOC tribute gun for my 270 rifle.
[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by OutdoorAg
So here's a follow up question, and I'm sure this will be personal preference as well...

What quality level of gun would you say is "too fancy" or "too nice" to make a week in, week out hunting rifle? Not a workhorse gun by any means, I have synthetic stocked guns for that. But I plan to hunt this rifle. It will take on a ding or two or three I'm sure. When is it "too nice" to hunt without stressing over it?

Last edited by mystro; 12/01/15.

The Lord loves humility.
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by OutdoorAg

Get something with an oil finish rather than an acrylic.

[Linked Image]

Here's a push feed Winchester 70 in 270 Win($350), a Mauser 98 in 7 x 57($500) with a hand carved mesquite stock, and a Sako l61R varmint in 7mag($850). I 've owned all three between 20 and 25 years. The 7mag was the first Sako I ever bought and it's my favorite out of the two dozen or so I've owned.

They all have nicks, scratches, bumps and dents from carrying in the field. Good thing mesquite is dense cause I dropped the Mauser from 15' onto a pile of rocks, crawling into a tri-pod

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

However the nice thing about oil finish is you can touch it up or strip it down and refinish.
Here is a Sako AV in 375 H&H. I picked it up around 1999 for $500. Here it is after a new recoil pad was installed and it was sanded down and a half dozen coats of tru-oil

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Best,

GWB

A Kill Artist. When I draw, I draw blood.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I like the classic style stocks with a matte finish. To me the Tikka Hunter wood stock looks real good. But I also like the CZ American 550 Classic wood stock with a single set trigger, if you can find one. These would be my first two choices.

If you would really like something very nice take a look at the Steyr Mannlicher Classic Half Stock. Or Sako Classics.

You mentioned hunting with Weatherby's wood stock, if you're looking for a shiney stock, there are lots of used Weatherby Mark V's to choose from. Another real good shiney rifle is a Colt-Sauer.

If I wanted a wood stock I would just go ahead and hunt with it. Walnut is a pretty tough wood and the nicks and scratches from brush usually don't go very deep.

U
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
U
You could always get a barreled action and a chunk of wood--take off everything that doesn't look like a gunstock.
[Linked Image]

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
that definitely looks proper to me.

Best,

GWB

A Kill Artist. When I draw, I draw blood.
E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
Not a Winchester Super Grade,but it has some pretty wood.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Bought it last year for 1k off of http://www.cdnnsports.com/70-270-fthrwgt-higrade-22.html#.VmD2HUKEnVo

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
http://www.collectorsfirearms.com/cz-vz33-7x57-r17978

This is a custom stocked CZ 7x57 Mauser

D
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
D
Nice photos of your JOC rifle! They are a fantastic value but the ones out there will keep going up in price!

D
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
D
I see yours is the Tribute also! I could not bring myself to deal with the .270 with a steel butt plate! They are probably the best deal I ever saw in firearms!

Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

271 members (12344mag, 10Glocks, 257 mag, 1eyedmule, 2UP, 300jimmy, 24 invisible), 1,452 guests, and 903 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,061
Posts18,463,321
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.