Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#10734316 11/28/15
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
At a camp trip earlier this month, a friend gifted me with a jar of his Sourdough starter. I don't have a lot of experience with Sourdough bread, but wanted to work with some.
I baked a basic loaf today, and it came out prett good. I could have added more salt, but other than that, the flavor is good, the crust is great, and it has a nice, pourous crumb.
I am going to 'grow' more of the starter, and make another loaf soon.
[Linked Image]

Sam......

GB1

W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
That looks great!

Do you like the taste of sourdough?

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Sam, put me down for some of that starter, will ya? I love sourdough. Can't eat too much of it or I'll turn into the Pillsbury Doughboy.
Spent a couple weeks in Cal a few years ago. I swear I gained 5 lbs just from all the sourdough bread I was eating.

One of the few things I think Kalifornia does well. smile

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
If you have splits of the culture to get rid of, I'd love one.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
My friend that gave me the starter, tells me that the yeast strain does not stay true. I have been reading up on this, and evidently, the starter that you are given, does not stay the same, but changes to reflect the natural yeast that is in your house.
That's why you can't get San Francisco Sourdough starter, and make that 'flavor' of bread when you get home.
Making starter from scratch is probably as good a method as any. Someone saying that they are using a starter that is generations old is probably not really accurate.
I am going to have to work on the efficacy of my starter, before my Sourdough bread improves a lot. The feeding, discarding, feeding, temperature control, time control etc.

Sam......

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Had sourdough waffles at my mom and step dads Thursday morning. It's a usual breakfast for Thanksgiving and Christmas. Give it a try with fresh fruits, jams, and crème fresh.

Sean
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Mannlicher

I am going to have to work on the efficacy of my starter, before my Sourdough bread improves a lot. The feeding, discarding, feeding, temperature control, time control etc.

Sam, I have been reading as well. Have you tried drying your starter on parchment paper into a potato chip like like consistancy and then storing in jars ?Airtight of course.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by 284LUVR; 11/29/15.

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
that tip was in Advanced Sourdough, I am just starting out. lol

Sam......

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Would you like a link to that process ?

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
I've stored spares of my sourdough in the past by drying, filling a baby food jar, and freezing both.

It's been a while, but I don't recall why/how my starters got lost. I guess I'll have to start from the beginning.

Another method I want to try is to put the flour/water outside on a dry breezy day covered with cheese cloth to catch wild yeast.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by calikooknic
Had sourdough waffles at my mom and step dads Thursday morning. It's a usual breakfast for Thanksgiving and Christmas. Give it a try with fresh fruits, jams, and crème fresh.

Sean, breakfast is where I got started on the stuff. Little town outside San Fran called Pacifica. After watching guys wadefishing for stripers in frigid water, went to the local Mom & Pop breakfast joint. Had some sourdough toast with butter and strawberry jam along with my eggs and bacon, encouraged by GF who already had experienced the goodness. Next morning, it was sourdough pancakes. Then, the addiction continued from there. smile

Bought some sourdough bread at Trader Joe's a while back. No comparison.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by 284LUVR
Would you like a link to that process ?

I'm not 100% committed to doing all that has to be done, to maintain a viable starter. It's a novelty for me right now. I will most likely plug away at it until I have it nailed, and then move on to something else.

Sam......

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

701 members (007FJ, 160user, 163dm, 163bc, 12344mag, 06hunter59, 66 invisible), 3,148 guests, and 1,362 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,579
Posts18,454,063
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.