Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Don't forget you will need to put an addition on the house for the trophy room.

I like to do my hunting BEFORE I pull the trigger!
There is only one kind of dead, but there are many different kinds of wounded.
GB1

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
If you have to ask...

I
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I
I found some figures quoted me for a Big 4 (everything but Rhino) safari by one outfitter in 2011. They would probably be more now and Rhino would add something more than $40K. Also, tips and plains game trophy fees are not included. Add also air fare from the US to Harare and overnight in Johannesburg on the way. Also 28 days would be better than 21.

21 Days 46200
Elephant, bull 13500
Hippo 3500
Buff 4000
Lion, male 12000
Leopard 6000
Tuskless 4000
Trophy Prep 1200
Cites 300
Charter 2000
Govt taxes 2644
Mars 210

In addition most people going on a DG hunt need to buy a new rifle unless you have at least a .375 laying around.

I strongly recommend that if this is your first hunt in Africa, you go for plains game only and in RSA. In 2006 I took eight animals in seven days for a total cost, including air fare, less than one guided bull elk hunt in Utah.

Don't blame me. I voted for Trump.

Democrats would burn this country to the ground, if they could rule over the ashes.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Elephant could be done for less in Zimbabwe, if you are not too worried about exporting the trophy.

Marius Goosen
KMG Hunting Safaris
Professional Hunter and Outfitter
South Africa, Namibia, Mozambique, Zimbabwe, Zambia
http://www.huntsafaris.co.za
[email protected]
E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
Originally Posted by KMGHuntingSafaris
Elephant could be done for less in Zimbabwe, if you are not too worried about exporting the trophy.

That's the elephant hunt I want to do.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by FOsteology
Originally Posted by IndyCA35
And, despite all the stories you may have read about the Cape buffalo, hunting them is about like hiking in the hot sun for five or six days followed by shooting a big cow...

That is always how I've felt regarding cape buff...

Flame suit on! grin

It might seem that way, until you are stalking one in head high grass, and he charges from 25 yards. I've seen it. Also had a tracker in our party gored following up one well hit, dying, but not dead. Ripped his thigh open about 10" worth before the PH finished him off at 5 paces.

It is all easy until it's not. Killed my leopard dead with one shot. Client before me in Zambia gut shot a leopard at dusk and my PH had to blast him with buckshot as it reached for his leg.

Too many instances of people getting whacked by buffalo to be cavalier. That "cow" attitude will not endear you to your PH, who is responsible for your safety, and that of the hunting party. If you can't respect the danger involved, I suggest sticking to white tailed deer. wink

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by hatari
If you can't respect the danger involved, I suggest sticking to white tailed deer. wink

Make no mistake, I have a healthy dose of respect for any animal that can be potentially dangerous. Buff. is just one of those animals that doesn't turn my crank, and no matter what, simply can't get excited/enthused about hunting.

Give me the pussy cats any day! wink

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Wish I had taken a lion when it was the same as leopard. Out of my budget now permanently.

Had lions scare the pee outta me in Tanz. Checking bait in a tree at mid day located near a riverbank with some thick stuff along it. After checking the clearing, our party approached the baits and noted the mane hair stuck on it. About that time, undetected by us, 2 male lions awoke from their slumder not 40 yards away, roared to beat the band, and ran off. Damn but my heart stopped. Thrilling but Jeezus that awoke some primordial fears I didn't knew existed!!!

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Lions scare the schitt out of me too! Almost got a chance to shoot a lioness in Zim years ago. She almost got a chance to eat me, it was a stand off and ended up in a draw...
You guys already know by my handle the leopards scare the schitt out of me too...but not till they are wounded....
I LOVED hunting buffalo but frankly didn't have any real frights from them. You knew it was serious business but like leopard, nothing to fear unless you screwed up your part. I screwed up my part with leopard and had an 'adventure', didn't screw up with buffalo.
I had a stare down with a couple buffalo at less than 20 yards for 20 minutes and never felt the slightest twinge of fear, one cow with huge horns was giving me the uber-hairy eyeball but I figured it she decided to come, she was a pretty big target at that range...she didn't.

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Originally Posted by KMGHuntingSafaris
Just an idea, why not film your hunt, and forget about the taxidermy? That way you can relive your entire hunt at a fraction of the cost.

Then why bother to shoot the animals? Just go on a photo safari.

Looking at my elephant ivory and cape buff shoulder mounts, have given me much joy over the years and bring back details of the hunt. Having the actual trophy to touch (and show your friends) makes the memories much more real than a DVD would IMO.

BH

IC B3

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Originally Posted by ingwe
Lions scare the schitt out of me too! Almost got a chance to shoot a lioness in Zim years ago. She almost got a chance to eat me, it was a stand off and ended up in a draw...

I've always said that if the critter dies and I live, I win, if the critter lives and I die, the critter wins, if we both live, or we both die, then it's a draw. Which one was it for you?

BH

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
I would recommend forgetting the plains game, especially if you've shot a lot of deer and/or elk, and go to Zim and shoot a Cape Buffalo. That is probably the cheapest way to hunt dangerous game in a free-roaming environment.

Besides the cost of the daily rate and trophy fee, you will have to pay to have the trophy dipped and shipped, and upon entry to the USA you will have a Customs fee. Also you are expected to tip the PH and his staff.

A recent pricing from Jonas Bros of Denver, CO shows $1800.00 for a shoulder mount of a Cape Buffalo. You can probably get it done cheaper, but make sure the taxidermist has experience with African trophies.

BH

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by BH63

I've always said that if the critter dies and I live, I win, if the critter lives and I die, the critter wins, if we both live, or we both die, then it's a draw. Which one was it for you?

BH

We both lived.....

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Gotta say, from my extremely limited experience, hunting tuskless cow ele,, up close in a herd, is just about as exciting as it gets......especially with a Ruger No. 1.....just sayin'.......grin

maddog

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B

BH

We both lived.....

Glad to hear that!

BTW: I grew up in SW Kentucky (Madisonville), you anywhere nears that?

BH63

Last edited by BH63; 12/01/15.
I
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I
Originally Posted by hatari
If you can't respect the danger involved, I suggest sticking to white tailed deer. wink

I absolutely do respect the danger. But if you do, I think the actual "hunt" might be easier than for white tail deer.

In Zim we hunted buffalo by finding a track, then leaving the hunting car and following it all day. We had several people in our party--me, the PH, three trackers. Eventually we came up on the buff and could shoot it. I was as careful as possible not to shoot unless I knew I could make a kill.

Try sneaking up on a white tail deer with five people. Yes, white tail hunting can be challenging but the deer does not look at you "like you owe him money." Or look as good in your trophy room.

Like a deer, my first buff ran off a little and we had to follow up. Unnerving thoughts in my head that would not occur with deer. As we were approaching my second buff, a lion stepped out of the bush and was a bit angry we had deprived him of his lunch.

Democrats would burn this country to the ground, if they could rule over the ashes.
I
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I
Originally Posted by maddog
Gotta say, from my extremely limited experience, hunting tuskless cow ele,, up close in a herd, is just about as exciting as it gets......especially with a Ruger No. 1.....just sayin'.......grin

maddog

If I ever go back, that is what I will do. You can probably get more than one in a three-week hunt. It's more dangerous than hunting bulls. The bulls don't hang out in herds but in very small groups. Shoot one and he'll take off in whatever direction he is facing for a hundred yards or so before dropping. The cows, on the other hand, will hunt you, I'm told.

With the recent ban on importing ivory into the USA, that seems the way to go.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle

BH

We both lived.....

Glad to hear that!

BTW: I grew up in SW Kentucky (Madisonville), you anywhere nears that?

BH63

Nope...I'm in Montucky...a few miles away....

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
As far as hunting Cape Buffalo, I like Capstick's analogy of how many times if you shoot an undisturbed Cape Buffalo in the right spot with enough gun and the right bullet, "it will curl up and die, like a spider in a campfire" and then "under identical conditions, the thing will be on his feet in an instant... and coming at you".

He also goes on to say, that a charging lion and a charging elephant will almost always turn when shot, but cape buffalo almost never do.

Once a cape buffalo gets upset, it can take an almost supernatural amount of damage and keep on coming.

There is an interesting video on you-tube, where an old cape buff goes head to head with a rhino. Although the old buff gets gored severely in the end, and probably dies, it is amazing to watch how the old buff attacks the rhino again and again.

IMO the Cape buff is the bravest, meanest creature currently alive today (at least that you can legally hunt).

I understand, that back in the olden days, a wounded tiger was considered one of the most dangerous animals on the planet.

BH

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
If you want brave and mean, wound a leopard once .

If they have even one iota of their nine lives left, they will use it on you.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

332 members (1lesfox, 06hunter59, 160user, 01Foreman400, 1beaver_shooter, 12344mag, 33 invisible), 1,894 guests, and 968 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,601
Posts18,454,644
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.