Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
L
logger Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
L
Last week I trout fished with a ultra light rod (5.5 ft) with a small Shimano reel spooled with 20lb braid. I was casting lures (mostly spinners). I had a couple of "wind knots" and the last was tangled enough I set that rig aside for the day. After doing some internet reading I think I can improve my technique a bit, but also learned that some of the newer spinning rods had a smaller first ferrule to help combat the tangle problem with braid. Has anyone used that type of rod and if so, did it help?

GB1

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
I use that type outfit with #10 Fireline....never experienced that problem...

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Braid sux, wind blows it every where and water will freeze in it when it's cold. Try nanofil or fire line. As for guides the microwave guide system is awesome. They aren't on very many factory rods right now and the ones they are on are bass rods. I put them on a 7' 4wt flyrod and taped a spinning reel on like a Tennessee handle and fished with nanofil mono and floro, they cast great and pull out the knots as they go through the guides. Braid also has zero memory and just a little memory isn't bad.

Eating fried chicken and watermelon since 1972.

You tell me how I ought to be, yet you don't even know your own sexuality,, the philosopher,,, you know so much about nothing at all. Chuck Schuldiner
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Just a little memory is why I like the #10 fire line....

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have had great luck using #6 P-Line CX, breaks like 8-10, often will straighten hooks. Will have to try fire line.

Running 15# braid on one UL/Light reel, not perfect, strength is it's strong point, but for UL and light action, I may run only flouro lines in the future. Always cast a country mile, very limp so last a long time and no issues casting, etc. - and stronger than similar mono.

IC B2

A
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
A
I’ve gone to “Nanafil” and Fireline”, on traditional spinning rods.
At first, I preferred the Fireline, but the more I use Nanofil, the more I like it.
Casting light lures in the wind will always be problematic, no matter what you use.
I am splitting the difference on line weight. Super lines seem to be about ½ the diameter and weight of mono, so on my ultra-lights, where I would use 4# mono, I use 6# Fireline. Next up, my “Light” that used to be a 6# mono rig has 8# Nano, and my Med spinning set up that used to be 8 or 10 # mono has 12 # Nanofil. Each rig casts the same lures, spinners or spoons about 40% farther than the old Mono set ups, and lost lures due to under water or high tree snags has been reduced to almost nothing.

MOLON LABE
A
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
A
A 3/16 oz Panther Martin on 8# Nanofil. It will cast this small spinner a hundred feet or more, and if I over shoot and get in those rocks on the shoreline, I just pull it free.

[Linked Image]

MOLON LABE
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I have been using nanofil for some techniques since it came out and is my favorite superline. As ingwe and I both agree a little memory is good, I also believe a little stretch is good too. I lose less fish on floro and mono but have fixed that problem with a mono leader tied strait to the main with a modified surgeons knot or a red phillips knot that winkman posted a while back.

With in-line spinners you get line twist so instead of tieing line to line I put a swivel between them, it reduces line twist. Most guys don't do this though, but I hate line twist more than most guys probably.

You tell me how I ought to be, yet you don't even know your own sexuality,, the philosopher,,, you know so much about nothing at all. Chuck Schuldiner
pal Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by logger
Last week I trout fished with a ultra light rod (5.5 ft) with a small Shimano reel spooled with 20lb braid. I was casting lures (mostly spinners). I had a couple of "wind knots" and the last was tangled enough I set that rig aside for the day...

You would have had an easier time with 4-6 lb mono.

"There's more to optics than meets the eye."--anon

"...most of us would be better off losing half a pound around the waist than half a pound on our rifle."--dhg

L
logger Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
L
I have mono on my other rods and was trying braid to get a bit more strength. The lake we were fishing has a bunch of weeds. I did try 6# nanofil when it first came out, but was surprised when I was moving a float stopper and the line literally separated in my hand as I moved the float stopper. That microwave guide system is interesting.

IC B3

pal Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Your ultra-light outfit just isn't up to the 20 lb line, either.

"There's more to optics than meets the eye."--anon

"...most of us would be better off losing half a pound around the waist than half a pound on our rifle."--dhg

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
[quote=logger]I have mono on my other rods and was trying braid to get a bit more strength. The lake we were fishing has a bunch of weeds. I did try 6# nanofil when it first came out, but was surprised when I was moving a float stopper and the line literally separated in my hand as I moved the float stopper. That microwave guide system is interesting.

They are great. I have been fishing finesse style for 30 years and it's the best thing to happen to spinning tackle since the improvement to spinning reels. Fluorocarbon casts line mono on a rod with micirowave guides.

L
logger Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
L
Originally Posted by pal

Can you explain? My rod is rated for 2 - 6 lb. mono and the Power Pro 20 lb. braid is listed as equivalent to 6 lb. mono.

A
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by logger
Originally Posted by pal

Can you explain? My rod is rated for 2 - 6 lb. mono and the Power Pro 20 lb. braid is listed as equivalent to 6 lb. mono.

Equivalant DIAMETER, ( and I believe that's exagerated, more like 8 or 10 lb mono diameter )
Your rod rating has nothing to do with line diameter.

MOLON LABE
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by seal_billy
Braid sux, wind blows it every where and water will freeze in it when it's cold. Try nanofil or fire line. As for guides the microwave guide system is awesome. They aren't on very many factory rods right now and the ones they are on are bass rods. I put them on a 7' 4wt flyrod and taped a spinning reel on like a Tennessee handle and fished with nanofil mono and floro, they cast great and pull out the knots as they go through the guides. Braid also has zero memory and just a little memory isn't bad.

SquealSilly,

Oh my...tough to trump the humor of you doing your BEST! You poor poor STUPID fhuqk. Laffin'!

I really enjoyed the tutorial of "all" that you've "learned" in 30yrs of "hard charging" pursuits,GREAT fhuqking time to connect dots and dangle some pics of the "carnage". Laffin'!

Braid has no equal. Hint.

Your idea of "fishing" and "catching",sure as fhuqk ain't. Hint.

No need to wax eloquent on what an incredibly fhuqking sloooooooowwwwwww "learner" you are either. Hint.

Do you Toot on your Cough Silencer,before firing up your Microwave Guides?!? Laffin'!

Cheer up...blowing 50+ knots now,water is risin' and my first cast tomorrow will crush your "Life's" best efforts.

Just sayin'.

Hint.

GOOD talk.

'ger,

Adding rod length,is your friend and for a multitude of reasons. 'Course one cain't purchase proficiency,nor can one be fhuqking Stupid for long enough,to gather a first fhuqking clue as SquealSilly always obliviously attests. Bless her heart.

20# PP is rather forgiving,though I tend to drive 30# PP expressly and upon rods that are "rated" wayyyyyyyyyyyy less than that,in regards to line weight/strength.

30# PP here on a Loomis 11'6" 4# IGFA rated Noodle Rod. Pardon my not being in the business of getting giddy about catching schit that is smaller than Bait,like the gals on this Thread do. Here's hoping they'll feel compelled to dangle more pics and remove ALL fhuqking "doubt". Laffin'!

[Linked Image]

My day in/day out Chrome Grinder Beeg Feesh Finder(s) are Loomis 1141-S 9'6" 4-8# UltraLights. GL3 and GLX being the usual cast of characters and 30# PP being etched in stone. Tough to beat a Stradic,with 2500's and 3000's typically getting the nod.

But I'm talkin' 100+ Salmonid days on victims that exceed an 8# average,not the Smelt the gals are catching. Laffin'!

[Linked Image]

Not that the humor of "all" their "experience" combined,ain't MUCH fhuqking appreciated,as morning guffaws go. Laffin'!

[Linked Image]

Nice "problem" to have.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

I like Trout Feeshin' and ain't much into fhuqking around. Hint.

[Linked Image]

Here's hopin' that facts don't sway The Do Nothing Gangs' Imagination or Pretend,as they "tell" you more and really get into the "particulars" of "Finesse" Feeshing for Bait.

Laffin'!

Tough to tell which will be funnier...the Silence or the Whinin'?!?

Wow +P++.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Yeah nothing beats power pro, love the sound of it going through the guides under a load and the casting performance when it's frozen on the spool. We're the ones laughing.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
+1

Power Pro sucks donkey balls...just like H335 grin

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Power pro is undoubtedly the worst braid money can buy. As a muskie only fisherman, every single one of my reels (calcuttas, and revo toros) are spooled with cortland. Used power pro for about 3 months and that's all it took to make me look elsewhere. Very noisy, I had real bad fraying, and it held a lot of water I thought. Wouldn't ever buy again.

Just for the record, I throw lures bigger than all those minners On this thread. Want me to post some pics wink?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Yeah, 5-6 foot black tip sharks, 7 foot plus bull and lemon sharks, Wahoo, Barracuda, Permit, and Tuna on a 7' 6" spinning rod with 20-30lb braid works just fine. A few big trout are a nice on spinning gear but is not the same test for the equipment that actually catching big strong fish provides. Running 200 yards of line out in 10-12 seconds causing the spool to get hot enough to smell the drag grease burning is certainly not at the trout or salmon level. Try hanging on to 20lbs or more of measured drag force for 45 minutes without being strapped into a seat! If this saltwater analogy is not good enough then try hanging onto the rod when the line in connected to an oversized 8 foot sturgeon in the columbia river. After two hours of drag screaming runs you begin to understand what types of spinning gear works and what does not.

I've spooled up with about all the various brands of braided line. However rather then have me plagiarize the comments from experts on this look at the testing done here:
http://www.paulusjustfishing.com/4linetesting.htm

This is likely the most thorough evaluation available anyplace.

www.huntingadventures.net
Are you living your life, or just paying bills until you die?
When you hit the pearly gates I want to be there just to see the massive pile of dead 5hit at your feet. ( John Peyton)
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
SquealSilly,

Do tell who your "we" is...as I ASSURE you it will be fhuqking funny! Hint.

I'm at ease in speaking in the firsthand,in extrapolation to all of the wares I've used and that you couldn't begin to fathom the magnitude,only adds oblivious humor to the table. Congratulations?!?

Few things as "scary" as frozen temps and Trout. Laffin'!

1141-S,3000 Stradic,30# PP,yada,yada. I know,I know...you almost nearly once saw a Trout this size.

Laffin'!

[Linked Image]

Oops...PP and '335!

Laffin'!

[Linked Image]

Fhuqking '335 and PP anyhow! Laffin'!

[Linked Image]

You be sure and share "all" them "we" pics,for pinheaded perspective on how Drooling Dumbfhuqks roll. Mebbe cite 30yrs of "experience" again,to see if it'll gain any traction. Didja' want that answer now...or wouldja' prefer to wait in "suspense". Laffin'!

Bless your heart.

Laffin'!

'gwe,

You'll prolly want to print this on metal and frame it. Hint. Thank me later.

[Linked Image]

30# PP and fhuqking '335.

At least you can say you've seen a pic of one that big!(grin)

KyJelly,

Go for the THROAT and hang some pics!

Laffin'!

Be sure to muse structure(abrasion),depth(deflection) and teeth...I ASSURE you,it will be funnier than fhuqk! Hint.

80# PP.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

I'm on pins & needles,awaiting the fhuqking laughs!

Bless your heart.

JJ,

I've never had to read anything,by anybody,to quantify wares I have used.

Though I'm sure The Do Nothing Gang will go agog.

Pass the PP and hold the Fluff.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

117 members (6mmCreedmoor, 1_deuce, 257wthbylover, 300_savage, 5sdad, 17 invisible), 1,606 guests, and 942 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,511
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.