Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Travis,

I can almost always find 28 ammo somewhere around here, but they tend to be scarcer in small towns in eastern Montana. When I do find a deal, I often buy a case.

But the 28 is also really easy to handload. I don't do a lot of shotshell loading any more, but probably load more 28's than anything. One excellent load that I've used on a number of wild roosters with great success is 7/8 ounce of hard #7's, which are the same size as the English #6 shot that Brits favor for driven pheasants. Plenty of pattern density and penetration even on roosters flying directly away at 35-40 yards.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
GB1

deflave Offline OP
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
Thanks John.

I do not shoot enough shotgun to reload. I just buy a case or two every year. I would likely just do the same for the 28. All I shoot now are 20's.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've hunted with 28 gauges since the early 70's. As a young man, a Remington 11-48 28 gauge bored skeet killed everything my Red Setter locked in on while I was attended the University of Idaho and hunting the Palouse in Washington and well beyond that.

Before I had my first 28 gauge (the 11-48), I had lusted after a brand new Charles Daly 28 over and under while I was in the Air Force during the 60's stationed in Charleston S.C . At $345 it was like 4 months rent (I was married) and out of the question. However I did find a mint one years ago and quickly snapped it up.

Like the 28 so well, I have too many....pumps, auto's and O/U's. The only thing I used a 12 gauge for is spring turkey and even then it's overkill when only shooting under 30 yards, and generally usually closer.

The little 11-48 is one sweet little 28. In my opinion the best gauge out there if you know and adhere to it's limitations. They are an absolute waterfowl killer over dekes if again, you keep it's range in perspective.

If I recall Phil Harris, who hunted with Bing on the old American Sportsman show during the 60's hunted with a 28. I also believe Jack O'connor was fond of a Remington 11-48 in 28 gauge that he had.

Buy one....you won't regret it.

"By the time you realize your father was a smart man, you have a teenager telling you just how stupid you are."
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by deflave
Thanks John.
I do not shoot enough shotgun to reload. I just buy a case or two every year. I would likely just do the same for the 28. All I shoot now are 20's.
Travis

Travis-
If you get a 28ga, just go down to Bing 'n' Bobs and have them fix you up with a case of good plated hard stuff.

Pursuit may be, it seems to me, perfect without possession.
Robert Kelley Weeks (1840-1876)
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The worst part of hunting with a 28ga is remembering to hold your pinky in the air while drinking your roadie.

IC B2

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Travis,

I probably wouldn't handload shotgun shells myself if somebody wasn't paying me to write about it now and then.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Backroads
The worst part of hunting with a 28ga is remembering to hold your pinky in the air while drinking your roadie.

You funny....thanks for the chuckle.

"By the time you realize your father was a smart man, you have a teenager telling you just how stupid you are."
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
DesertMuleDeer,

Missed your question on single-trigger doubles. Have seen quite a few single triggers malfunction, but the gun that really drove me nuts was a 28-gauge over-under from a well-known Italian firm. I could shoot it very well, but sometimes it would refuse to fire the second barrel, and sending it back to the company didn't fix the problem, nor did turning it over to a very knowledgable local gunsmith. It finally drove me so nuts I sold the thing, and yes, I did reveal the problem.

I generally prefer double triggers on double guns, as they're the quickest way to actually choose which barrel to shoot, and aside from one trigger that needed its pull readjusted after a year of use, have never had any trouble with them. But I grew up with a 2-trigger double, so am used to 'em. Two triggers confuse some people!

I bated you a little. I have had the same problem with the second barrel and double triggers in dirty, dusty country where the sand and sage brush blows. I thought the problem of not firing the second barrel was unique to the country but maybe not. Never the less, have converted to 16 ga Model 12s, Benellis and a restocked, 100-year-old Fox with double triggers when hunting there, solving the problem.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
6's suck.

Travis

I try to only use 6s on upland game. They work well with a tight choke on wild-flushing, hard-to-anchor blue quail and even better on easier-to -knock-down pheasant. They even work on the Huns you have up North in my limited experience.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Depends on how a gun feels to you.

I just handled a few 28 ga SXS and while they were light and handy I would not trade one for one of my 20's or the 16ga.

I have shot my Bernadelli and done well on pheasants. It weighs 5# 13 oz with it's 27.5" barrels and double triggers and since I got the birds I like it.

However after getting the newer to me Ugartechea 221-20 3" out at 5# 9 oz and 24.5" barrels I would take that the next time.

The LOP on the Ugar, to the right, is shorter and it feels faster to shoulder.

[Linked Image]

IC B3

deflave Offline OP
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by DesertMuleDeer

I try to only use 6s on upland game. They work well with a tight choke on wild-flushing, hard-to-anchor blue quail and even better on easier-to -knock-down pheasant. They even work on the Huns you have up North in my limited experience.

Full choke and 5's are all I carry.

Travis

My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
If you buy a 28 and don't reload be prepared to find 6s and 7.5s on the shelf....

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
5's are all I carry.

Odd...

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by DesertMuleDeer
I suggest you absolutely buy the Benelli and then let me know how you like it!

Why does everybody suggest this? grin

Travis

He has a Howa Alpine to buy and report on before this.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Thanks John.

Travis

I would suggest a case of Fiocchi 7/8 oz (1300 fps FYI) of 5's or 7 1/2s since you don't like the best shot size--6's. On wild birds under the best of conditions a case might last you three years,..or five.

I'm curious as to how anybody could tell the difference between the above and Fiocchi 20 ga. 1 oz of the same shot size at 1245 fps.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Pretty much have used only 6 shot out of the 28's. Always worked extremely well.

Last edited by Wacenturion; 12/01/15.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Yeah, 6's and 7's work great on pheasants in the 28 (or any gauge), but they work better if they're hard. They don't have to be plated, but high-antimony shot definitely penetrates deeper than "standard" shot, because it doesn't flatten out when it hits.

Hard shot costs more, whether in factory or handloads, but using hard shot a size or two smaller than standard shot provides a denser pattern and penetrates just as deeply. But I know a lot of people who refuse to pay for better shot, just like many people refuse to pay for better rifle bullets.

John Steinbeck
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Hard shot leaves the barrel rounder too and flies truer, giving a better pattern.

7s were made for the 28. ;-{>8

https://postimg.cc/xXjW1cqx/81efa4c5

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Soli Deo Gloria

democrats ARE the plague.

deflave Offline OP
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by George_De_Vries_3rd

I would suggest a case of Fiocchi 7/8 oz (1300 fps FYI) of 5's or 7 1/2s since you don't like the best shot size--6's. On wild birds under the best of conditions a case might last you three years,..or five.

????

Travis

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by 43Shooter
The 28 with the least felt recoil might be the Remington 1100 Sporting Clays model. At 6lbs 15 oz mine's only 4oz lighter than my 1100 "Lt 20", probably too heavy for a true 28 but IMO it balances well and is an easy shooter. My wife and daughter shoot sporting clays with it and have no problem shooting 100 rounds in an afternoon. They both say it has noticeably less felt recoil than the LT 20.

I have that same gun, and mine has virtually no recoil. And I agree it's really too heavy as a 28ga. But I just shoot it so damn well. I prefer 7.5 for doves and quail & # 6 shot for pheasants.

Like I mentioned earlier, I REALLY want one of the little Benneli Ultralight 28ga autos.
At only 4.5 lbs, it would be ideal to carry all day long chasing pheasants or West TX quail, IMO. I'll probably give in & buy one for next year.
I'd also LOVE to have one of the little Merkel SXS's in 28 ga, too.

And I don't reload for my 28 gauge, either. I just buy a case or two of Winchester AA's every year.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Page 4 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

115 members (10gaugemag, 358WCF, 673, 450yukon, 19rabbit52, 30Gibbs, 16 invisible), 1,773 guests, and 896 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,279
Posts18,467,652
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.