Hop To
Page 5 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by chlinstructor
Originally Posted by 43Shooter
The 28 with the least felt recoil might be the Remington 1100 Sporting Clays model. At 6lbs 15 oz mine's only 4oz lighter than my 1100 "Lt 20", probably too heavy for a true 28 but IMO it balances well and is an easy shooter. My wife and daughter shoot sporting clays with it and have no problem shooting 100 rounds in an afternoon. They both say it has noticeably less felt recoil than the LT 20.

I have that same gun, and mine has virtually no recoil. And I agree it's really too heavy as a 28ga. But I just shoot it so damn well. I prefer 7.5 for doves and quail & # 6 shot for pheasants.

Like I mentioned earlier, I REALLY want one of the little Benneli Ultralight 28ga autos.
At only 4.5 lbs, it would be ideal to carry all day long chasing pheasants or West TX quail, IMO. I'll probably give in & buy one for next year.
I'd also LOVE to have one of the little Merkel SXS's in 28 ga, too.

And I don't reload for my 28 gauge, either. I just buy a case or two of Winchester AA's every year.

I hope you save or pick up the empty Hulls. The 28 AA-HS hull outlasts
the Rem STS 28 ga by a wide margin.

Doc

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Travis

Wild eyed guess. 🤔 Meaning, by my shooting volume here, and that's juggling four guns off and on depending on whim. It could take me several years to go through a case of 20's or 28's or 12's because I shoot all three gauges in the four guns.

I don't have any shotgun shooting sports available locally so it's purely upland hunting for me this year (and usually true yearly) and would have to work hard to take fifty wild birds in NW Iowa. I may shoot another twenty in SD this year.

At least here, you'd have to hunt an awful lot to go through 250 rounds in a year.

deflave Offline OP
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by ingwe
If you buy a 28 and don't reload be prepared to find 6s and 7.5s on the shelf....

Thank you. But Al Gore invented a little something called the internet so I have no concerns.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Unless you shoot and miss a lot. 😀

deflave Offline OP
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by MT_DD_FAN
Originally Posted by deflave
Thanks John.
I do not shoot enough shotgun to reload. I just buy a case or two every year. I would likely just do the same for the 28. All I shoot now are 20's.
Travis

Travis-
If you get a 28ga, just go down to Bing 'n' Bobs and have them fix you up with a case of good plated hard stuff.

Oh yeah. They will.

They're my go to gunshop.

Travis

My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
IC B2

deflave Offline OP
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by Backroads
The worst part of hunting with a 28ga is remembering to hold your pinky in the air while drinking your roadie.

Laughin'...

Travis

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
You come across like a Mossberg guy, but hey, who knows.

If you don't count the O/U Staggs built 30-30/20 gauge, this is the only upland gun I shoot. Churchill 28- 23" I/C M barrels. Chukar, quail, pheasant, grouse. I enjoy the 28 very much and it keeps up with the 12 gauge shell shucker guy I hunt with.

[Linked Image]

LOL
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

The reason I mention Fiocchi's is I've had very good experience with their shells, not that there aren't other good brands also.

deflave Offline OP
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Travis,

I probably wouldn't handload shotgun shells myself if somebody wasn't paying me to write about it now and then.

Yeah. I don't shoot enough of it to justify the time.

Travis

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by doctor_Encore
The 28 with the least felt recoil might be the Remington 1100 Sporting Clays model. At 6lbs 15 oz mine's only 4oz lighter than my 1100 "Lt 20", probably too heavy for a true 28 but IMO it balances well and is an easy shooter. My wife and daughter shoot sporting clays with it and have no problem shooting 100 rounds in an afternoon. They both say it has noticeably less felt recoil than the LT 20.

I have that same gun, and mine has virtually no recoil. And I agree it's really too heavy as a 28ga. But I just shoot it so damn well. I prefer 7.5 for doves and quail & # 6 shot for pheasants.

Like I mentioned earlier, I REALLY want one of the little Benneli Ultralight 28ga autos.
At only 4.5 lbs, it would be ideal to carry all day long chasing pheasants or West TX quail, IMO. I'll probably give in & buy one for next year.

And I don't reload for my 28 gauge, either. I just buy a case or two of Winchester AA's every year.

I hope you save or pick up the empty Hulls. The 28 AA-HS hull outlasts
the Rem STS 28 ga by a wide margin. Doc

Yep. I give them to my Lawyer that reloads for his Benelli. You just never know when you might need a favor from a Lawyer. wink

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Great thread.

Depending on the cock and season, hard 4-6's, IM-Full.

16 gauge is where it's at.

28 gauge isn't even allowed on the Rez. And not just because wild Rez cocks are too tough...

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Fireball2

[Linked Image]

I'm sure I've had worse said and thought of me.

Very nice shotgun!

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Directed at Travis sir! grin

LOL
deflave Offline OP
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage

4.5lbs? They can't be that light can they?

Travis

deflave Offline OP
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by George_De_Vries_3rd

Travis

Wild eyed guess. 🤔 Meaning, by my shooting volume here, and that's juggling four guns off and on depending on whim. It could take me several years to go through a case of 20's or 28's or 12's because I shoot all three gauges in the four guns.

I don't have any shotgun shooting sports available locally so it's purely upland hunting for me this year (and usually true yearly) and would have to work hard to take fifty wild birds in NW Iowa. I may shoot another twenty in SD this year.

At least here, you'd have to hunt an awful lot to go through 250 rounds in a year.

Yeah. I never thought about the multiple gun thing.

I only use the one since I bought it. I can't say I go through 10 boxes every season but it definitely shoots the schit out of a case.

I go quite a bit in early fall though.

Travis

deflave Offline OP
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by SamOlson

28 gauge isn't even allowed on the Rez. And not just because wild Rez cocks are too tough...

Because nobody can afford one?

Got you good you fugker!

grin

Travis

deflave Offline OP
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by Fireball2

If you don't count the O/U Staggs built 30-30/20 gauge, this is the only upland gun I shoot. Churchill 28- 23" I/C M barrels. Chukar, quail, pheasant, grouse. I enjoy the 28 very much and it keeps up with the 12 gauge shell shucker guy I hunt with.

[Linked Image]

What does that thing weigh?

Travis

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Anyone ever try one of these?

http://www.pacotools.com/tool_discriptions

Considering the price of 28 gauge shells it might be an option especially for someone who only wants to load a couple of boxes a year for hunting.

Gerry.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

That looks interesting.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I have been looking at getting a a 20 for a while, looked for a SKB o/u, a M2 and a Weatherby Turkish made auto. I'm not much on Turkish crap but the Weatherby has great reviews and a few guys here on the fire have them, plus it's a BERETTA 303 copy except the safety is where it is supposed to be.

In my search I ran across the Weatherby in 28 ga. Wow it had good furnature, fit and finish and was light, fit great too. I passed. I also ran across the SKB in 28 ga. Omg I should be kicked in the taint, I didn't buy that gun. Shoulda! I can't imagine how light a Benelli UL would be, couldn't be any heavier than a pocket knife!

I'm a improve modified and #5 kinda guy but in the case of a 28 ga one would probably be better off with 6s to up the pellet count a bit, So Clark or Dave could you try and talk some sense to Travis give him a few beers first, that might help make him more agreeable.

Eating fried chicken and watermelon since 1972.

You tell me how I ought to be, yet you don't even know your own sexuality,, the philosopher,,, you know so much about nothing at all. Chuck Schuldiner
Page 5 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

616 members (1337Fungi, 10Glocks, 10gaugeman, 12344mag, 1234, 17CalFan, 55 invisible), 3,345 guests, and 1,117 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,296
Posts18,468,010
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.