Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
deflave Offline OP
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by gerrygoat

Considering the price of 28 gauge shells it might be an option especially for someone who only wants to load a couple of boxes a year for hunting.

I priced a case of 28's compared to 20's last week and the difference was a $20 bill.

Whatever that's worth.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
BP-B2

deflave Offline OP
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by seal_billy

I'm a improve modified and #5 kinda guy but in the case of a 28 ga one would probably be better off with 6s to up the pellet count a bit, So Clark or Dave could you try and talk some sense to Travis give him a few beers first, that might help make him more agreeable.

Travis is a very objective and open minded guy. But that doesn't change the fact that he already knows everything.

Travis

My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by deflave
Originally Posted by gerrygoat

Considering the price of 28 gauge shells it might be an option especially for someone who only wants to load a couple of boxes a year for hunting.

I priced a case of 28's compared to 20's last week and the difference was a $20 bill. Whatever that's worth.
Travis

Travis-
Just an fyi but you might take a look at the 28ga Baschieri & Pellagri shotshells sold in the USA by Aerostar Outdoors;

B&P has a 15/16 oz, 1300 fps 28ga load: B&P 28ga 15/16oz 1300 fps
and a 1 & 1/16 oz, 1210 fps 28ga load: B&P 28ga 1&1/16 oz 1210 fps

I've used some of the B&P shells in my 16 and 20 ga guns with good results - both on birds and clays.
Right now Aerostar has a free shipping promo on any size order, see: Aerostar Outdoors Catalog

Pursuit may be, it seems to me, perfect without possession.
Robert Kelley Weeks (1840-1876)
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I haven't used my 28 gauge a whole lot, but enough to say it works just fine on forest grouse with #6s.

I've used a .410 quite a bit and the 3" shells out of it will straight up knock a pheasant's dick in the dirt at 40+ yards. Maybe it's the combo with the full choke...I dunno.

deflave Offline OP
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
Thanks MT.

Travis

IC B2

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
Travis, are you ordering the 28 ga.???? Life is short you better have it!! I love mine, just have others I love as much!!

Molon Labe
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Yeah, 6's and 7's work great on pheasants in the 28 (or any gauge), but they work better if they're hard. They don't have to be plated, but high-antimony shot definitely penetrates deeper than "standard" shot, because it doesn't flatten out when it hits.

Hard shot costs more, whether in factory or handloads, but using hard shot a size or two smaller than standard shot provides a denser pattern and penetrates just as deeply. But I know a lot of people who refuse to pay for better shot, just like many people refuse to pay for better rifle bullets.

^^^This is so damn true!^^^

deflave Offline OP
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by WyoCoyoteHunter
Travis, are you ordering the 28 ga.???? Life is short you better have it!! I love mine, just have others I love as much!!

WCH,

I'm going to get the Benelli UL I believe. I will be in Scheels today and see if they have any.

But I am in no big hurry right now. If I hunt birds any more before the end of the season it will be with the M2 anyway. Probably pick one up after New Years.

This Santa schit is fugkin' expensive. grin

Dave

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
You getting a 20 or 28? I can't even imagine how light a Benelli ultralight would be in 28ga.! The 12 feels like a feather!

Last edited by seal_billy; 12/12/15.

Eating fried chicken and watermelon since 1972.

You tell me how I ought to be, yet you don't even know your own sexuality,, the philosopher,,, you know so much about nothing at all. Chuck Schuldiner
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by rifletom
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Yeah, 6's and 7's work great on pheasants in the 28 (or any gauge), but they work better if they're hard. They don't have to be plated, but high-antimony shot definitely penetrates deeper than "standard" shot, because it doesn't flatten out when it hits.

Hard shot costs more, whether in factory or handloads, but using hard shot a size or two smaller than standard shot provides a denser pattern and penetrates just as deeply. But I know a lot of people who refuse to pay for better shot, just like many people refuse to pay for better rifle bullets.

^^^This is so damn true!^^^

I shot 4 rounds of 5-stand today with a Caesar Guerinni 28 ga with 32 inch barrels....I love the gun. I will out to the field to pick up the un-broken birds finding quite a few with pellet hits yet no broken pieces with magnum #8 shot. I shot my first around alone. I am going to hard (magmum) 7 1/2 shot in everything for sporting clays.

Doc

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
w have u 7 1/2 or 6's in u 28's for years on everything from Sharptails and wild rosters to rufies and released birds .We shoot them with open and modified chokes with no issues.
The Fausti ea I owned was a incredible gun, but I sold it in favor of my double triggered , English stocked Ugartechea.
The guy I sold it to uses it more than any other gun he owns and he shots a pile of birds!
Cat

scopes are cool, but slings 'n' irons RULE!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Just got back from two days in central SD. We just crushed the pheasants but in thinking back over the shots, an easy 85% of them could have been taken with any light 28 ga., say a Ben UL or Legacy or a properly framed SxS in 28. It actually was probably much closer to 90%.

Plus, in plodding along 5-10 miles of uneven, muddy, or snowy, Dakota countryside, a 5 lb 28 is much more amenable to the process than a 7-8 lb 12 ga. that becomes the stone under the mattress you just cannot ignore.

True, there are shots you don't attempt with a 28 that you can accomplish with the 12 but so what,..there are plenty of birds that will flush close, even in December.

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Can you get steel or non lead shot for a 28? One of the issues I have when hunting in SD with my 16 gauge was hunting on Wildlife Production areas. Which require non lead shot.

I ended up using my LW 12 gauge with steel. Much easier to find steel every where. Plus you cant have and lead on you in steel or non lead areas. Simpler solution is 2 shotguns and 2 different vests.

kk alaska

Alaska 7 months of winter then 5 months of tourists
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Google Mack's Praire Wings. If there is a non-toxic in any gauge, they
probably have it.

K
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
K
I shoot left handed so shotgun options are somewhat limited. I shoot mostly o/u. Is the 28 ga.SKB on a smaller frame than the 20 ga.? What o/u 28s are on the smaller frame? I see no advantage to the 28 if they are on the same frame.

Thanks,

Dean

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
I had a Bretta 28 and a couple 20's.. I think the 28 was a smaller frame..

Molon Labe
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Don't know about the SKB's, but the currently manufactured Beretta Silver Pigeon I and Silver Pigeon V 28 gauges are on the "baby" frame. Other Berettas have been made on the 20 gauge frame. I have them both ways and don't have a strong opinion either way.

Talk is cheap. It takes money to buy whiskey.
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Fireball2
You come across like a Mossberg guy, but hey, who knows.

If you don't count the O/U Staggs built 30-30/20 gauge, this is the only upland gun I shoot. Churchill 28- 23" I/C M barrels. Chukar, quail, pheasant, grouse. I enjoy the 28 very much and it keeps up with the 12 gauge shell shucker guy I hunt with.

[Linked Image]

What does that thing weigh?
Travis

Travis, sorry I was not able to reply sooner. I do not have an accurate scale so I can't help you there. It's light, due to it's short barrels, but not featherlight as the high end guns can be. It suits me fine. I've sold off all but one or two other scatterguns as I find this to be ideal for my shooting. I have not seen another with 23" barrels though. Pretty rare I expect. It was not an expensive gun at $750 or so IIRC. I would buy a 20 gauge if I were inclined to shop for a mate to it. Not sure why really.

LOL
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
You come across like a Mossberg guy, but hey, who knows.

If you don't count the O/U Staggs built 30-30/20 gauge, this is the only upland gun I shoot. Churchill 28- 23" I/C M barrels. Chukar, quail, pheasant, grouse. I enjoy the 28 very much and it keeps up with the 12 gauge shell shucker guy I hunt with.

[Linked Image]

What does that thing weigh?
Travis

Travis, sorry I was not able to reply sooner. I do not have an accurate scale so I can't help you there. It's light, due to it's short barrels, but not featherlight as the high end guns can be. It suits me fine. I've sold off all but one or two other scatterguns as I find this to be ideal for my shooting. I have not seen another with 23" barrels though. Pretty rare I expect. It was not an expensive gun at $750 or so IIRC. I would buy a 20 gauge if I were inclined to shop for a mate to it. Not sure why really.

I've got it's twin. They are Churchill Windsor Flyweights.
I bought mine new 30 or so years ago. Never put mine on a scale but it's light and a tiny thing.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
I have had a couple of "proper" 28 gauge SxS's over the years and have moved them on given my proper sized 20 and 16 bores. Seemed more hype and desire than real advantage. I still have a number of boxes of Remington paper hull shells I should unload.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
Page 6 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
697 members (160user, 12344mag, 21, 12308300, 17CalFan, 16Racing, 68 invisible), 2,717 guests, and 1,281 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,621
Posts18,398,558
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.