Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
deflave Offline OP
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
Is there any real issue knocking things down with the 28? I'm speaking strictly upland and dove. Sharps and pheasant mostly.

I kinda find it hard to believe there is any reason to go 28 vs the 20 gauge. But a Benelli Ultra Light is kinda tempting.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
GB1

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Actually the 28 is billed as being extremely efficient...how that is measured on a shotgun I can't say, but Mule Deer can.

The 28 was Bing Crosby's favorite for pheasant...if that helps any....

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
He tried to explain it to me one day, but my brain was full.

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
W
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
W
Travis, I have a Rem.870 28 ga. It has a 25 inch barrel and carries like a dream.. I have shot some sage grouse with it and killed them stone dead at 40 yards.. But only a few.. I really like it for forest grouse.. Never tried it on sharps or pheasants.. Not much opportunity for sharps here, and I must travel to do much pheasant hunting.. I really think if you live where both birds are available, you would enjoy it.. Especially, after you have taken some birds and the edge is off to be successful.. Or take it a long in the truck, and carry it when the cover looks like closer shots will be the order of the day..
I am basically a 12 ga. guy, I like the smaller ga. shotguns, but just have never been able to let the 12's at home.. I think you would enjoy the 28, and it is an excellent reason to pick one up..

Molon Labe
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

I've shot hundreds of pheasants with the 20 and the 28 over pointers and could not discern the difference between the 1oz 20 load or a 7/8 to 1oz load in the 28, nor a difference in effective range.

Plus if a 28 is built on the proper frame its like carrying Tinker Bell's wand compared to the larger gauges.

On doves--perfection.

IC B2

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
I don't see the point,at least not in a modern auto when 20's handle and carry so well.

A Benelli ultralight 20 is already to light for me.

Last edited by wisturkeyhunter; 11/29/15.
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Warning: 28s are like fine whisky, long legs and cigars rolled on virgin thighs.

My first was in 1981 (Steyer-Mannlicher Principessa sxs). We were living in Scobey, MT, so shot a short tonne of sharpies with it. I also shot, I have no idea how many, huns with it. Scobey is not big pheasant country but I shot more than a few with it. I ran Brittannies and shot over a lot of points.

The deadliness of the 28 will astound you. The most interesting part, to me is that one does not need to resort to charges larger than 3/4 oz. The load is what is called "square". Somehow that means it is perfectly in proportion. It flat works. Get one and it will kill birds so dead even Clark will not be able to revive them. Good For You!

https://postimg.cc/xXjW1cqx/81efa4c5

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Soli Deo Gloria

democrats ARE the plague.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
28s shoot the same size pellets the same speed as the bigger gauges, just less of them. As with any shotgun, fit and even patterns are more important than shear number of pellets in the air. If you aren't able to center birds in the pattern due to gun fit or some other reason you will have more cripples than with the bigger guns. But center them in the pattern and watch your bag fill up.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I've been hunting with a Remington 1100 Sporting Clays 28ga for over the last 20 years as my go to shotgun for doves here in TX. I kill birds just as far as my buddies who are all using a 12ga. I've also used it with great success on Pheasant. It's my favorite gauge by far.

Travis, I too having been drooling on the Benelli Ultralight in 28 ga. The only thing that has prevented me from buying one is the price. eek

Last edited by chlinstructor; 11/29/15.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
The allure of the 28ga is the shotguns you can get them in. Light, quick and alive, unlike some of the larger options.

If there is any magic in the 28 it would be with good loads most of the shot arrives on target at the same time with little stringing. With todays modern shot shells there isn't any magic in the square loads. The other gauges are much the same with good loads that don't over-stuff the case. A 28 will never be a 20, 16 or 12 when it comes to efficiency with good shells. Someone did a study and came to the conclusion it takes 8 pellets or so to bring down most upland Birds. 7/8ounce will do it easily if you point well.

The 28 will beat most of them when it comes to handling in O/U's and SxS's. Not so much with today's modern auto-loaders.

There is less recoil and that is never a bad thing.

Last edited by battue; 11/29/15.

laissez les bons temps rouler
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by chlinstructor
I've been hunting with a Remington 1100 Sporting Clays 28ga for over the last 20 years as my go to shotgun for doves here in TX. I kill birds just as far as my buddies who are all using a 12ga. I've also used it with great success on Pheasant. It's my favorite gauge by far.

Travis, I too having been drooling on the Benelli Ultralight in 28 ga. The only thing that has prevented me from buying one is the price. eek

Be sure you first handle one for the ergo's. I just bought one and the "pistol grip" is much too closed for me maybe especially because my SxSs have English grips.

deflave Offline OP
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by WyoCoyoteHunter
Travis, I have a Rem.870 28 ga. It has a 25 inch barrel and carries like a dream.. I have shot some sage grouse with it and killed them stone dead at 40 yards.. But only a few.. I really like it for forest grouse.. Never tried it on sharps or pheasants.. Not much opportunity for sharps here, and I must travel to do much pheasant hunting.. I really think if you live where both birds are available, you would enjoy it.. Especially, after you have taken some birds and the edge is off to be successful.. Or take it a long in the truck, and carry it when the cover looks like closer shots will be the order of the day..
I am basically a 12 ga. guy, I like the smaller ga. shotguns, but just have never been able to let the 12's at home.. I think you would enjoy the 28, and it is an excellent reason to pick one up..

Thanks WCH.

Seems like a minor a bit of weight savings coupled with less recoil.

Do they recoil less compared to the 20? Or is the difference negligible?

Travis

My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
deflave Offline OP
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by George_De_Vries_3rd

I've shot hundreds of pheasants with the 20 and the 28 over pointers and could not discern the difference between the 1oz 20 load or a 7/8 to 1oz load in the 28, nor a difference in effective range.

Plus if a 28 is built on the proper frame its like carrying Tinker Bell's wand compared to the larger gauges.

On doves--perfection.

Would you consider the Benellis a "proper frame?"

And when you say you can't discern the difference, are you referring to effectiveness on birds or felt recoil?

Travis

deflave Offline OP
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by wisturkeyhunter
I don't see the point,at least not in a modern auto when 20's handle and carry so well.

I don't think I could ever consider an upland gun "too light" but I am also thinking the 28 doesn't bring enough to the table to justify bothering with a 28.

But if I'm wrong in this thinking I may try a 28.

Travis

deflave Offline OP
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by oldtrapper
Warning: 28s are like fine whisky, long legs and cigars rolled on virgin thighs.

My first was in 1981 (Steyer-Mannlicher Principessa sxs). We were living in Scobey, MT, so shot a short tonne of sharpies with it. I also shot, I have no idea how many, huns with it. Scobey is not big pheasant country but I shot more than a few with it. I ran Brittannies and shot over a lot of points.

The deadliness of the 28 will astound you. The most interesting part, to me is that one does not need to resort to charges larger than 3/4 oz. The load is what is called "square". Somehow that means it is perfectly in proportion. It flat works. Get one and it will kill birds so dead even Clark will not be able to revive them. Good For You!

Hmmmm..... I may have to do this.

Travis

deflave Offline OP
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage

I will only live this life once. Fugk cost.

Travis

deflave Offline OP
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage

Be sure you first handle one for the ergo's. I just bought one and the "pistol grip" is much too closed for me maybe especially because my SxSs have English grips.

On the Benellis?

You trippin'.

Travis

deflave Offline OP
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by ingwe
Actually the 28 is billed as being extremely efficient...how that is measured on a shotgun I can't say, but Mule Deer can.

The 28 was Bing Crosby's favorite for pheasant...if that helps any....

I didn't even know Bill Cosby was a bird hunter.

Travis

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by deflave

Travis

Then treat yourself to one of the nicest without going O/U or SxS.
Made in America. You know what I mean. grin The chrome one doesn't trip my trigger, the blue one does.

http://ithacagun.com/28gauge.php

deflave Offline OP
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by battue

Travis

Then treat yourself to one of the nicest without going O/U or SxS.
Made in America. You know what I mean. grin The chrome one doesn't trip my trigger, the blue one does.

http://ithacagun.com/28gauge.php

Thank you for the information but no thank you.....

Clark

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
If you are a great shot and the gun fits you the 28 will work.

I know I need the 12 to kill consistently and still do not center the bird every time.

I love the 16 but cant find shells everywhere at a good price, so I shoot the 20 more if I want less gun.

kk alaska

Alaska 7 months of winter then 5 months of tourists
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Understand completely. Doubt if a 28 will disappoint, but eventually we all need to find these things out on our own. Good luck in doing so.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

On doves--perfection.

Would you consider the Benellis a "proper frame?"

And when you say you can't discern the difference, are you referring to effectiveness on birds or felt recoil?

Travis

Yes, seems the Europeans have a better sense of proportion.

I could not tell a difference in effectiveness thirty-five yards and under and as to recoil I'd say my 5.5 lb AyA 28 still kicks a bit less than my 5.75 lb Beretta 471 20. Very subjective but that's my experience.

Beretta's A400 28 is very, very sweet also but now you have a gas system instead of Ben's inertia system. Amd they cost more.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

On the Benellis?

You trippin'.

Travis

I don't think so. The pistol grip is too closed for my carry style forcing me to reach for the safety; it's ok at the shot.

I hope it's just a matter of getting used to it. My SxSs have straight or English grips and that is what I'm used to.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Twenty years ago, when my mother knew she was leaving this life, she decided to buy her kids, each, something to remember her by, as if forgetting mom was possible. She bought me an AyA #2 in 28.

It's special, to say the least.

Soli Deo Gloria

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Is there any real issue knocking things down with the 28? I'm speaking strictly upland and dove. Sharps and pheasant mostly.

I kinda find it hard to believe there is any reason to go 28 vs the 20 gauge. But a Benelli Ultra Light is kinda tempting.

Travis

Are you just considering shell shuckers or would you consider an O/U or SxS? You're doubling up on cost over an expensive semi-auto but a new little AyA 4/53 box lock in 28, for example, is plain but exudes quality and is well under 6 lbs. ~ $2800. Of course you can shop for used also. I've never regretted buying mine.

And there are O/Us well under that price I believe.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by oldtrapper
Twenty years ago, when my mother knew she was leaving this life, she decided to buy her kids, each, something to remember her by, as if forgetting mom was possible. She bought me an AyA #2 in 28.

It's special, to say the least.

Those are just sweet!!

W
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
W
Travis, I think the thing I like about my 28 is the very light weight and small frame.. I have a couple 20's in the model.. I like them very much, and shoot them a bit.. When I first got the 28 probably 10+ years ago, I shot it a great when I first got it.. Killed lots of birds.. One thing I think must be kept in mind is lots of folks hunt over pointers.. They get fairly close shots if they are like the pointers I have hunted over.

I think you have a lab, I have goldens.. Since they do not point, my shots tend to be longer than a hunter with pointers. At least I would think so.. Often my birds are getting up at the distance these guys are shooting their birds.. So usually I opt for a bit more gun..

But I think you would truly enjoy the 28 what ever model you choose.. It is a great little ga. and a joy to hunt with anc shoot..

Molon Labe
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Along the lines of what George is saying, my wife has an Ugartechea non- ejector boxlock in 28. I had the stock bent with a bit of cast-on as she is a lefty. That gun is a delight in the hands and points like a best grade gun. If I wanted to try a true 28, that is what I would do. They are very well made and can be picked up on the used market more reasonable than anything close, for the shooting dynamics - that is, to get the full 28 experience.

Further, these guns are not difficult to get to fit with just a minor bend or so, unless you require something extraordinary. The combination of a true 28 gun and a dynamic fit is a genuine delight. Many sharptails have succumbed to heart failure, just thinking about it.

Soli Deo Gloria

deflave Offline OP
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage

Yes, seems the Europeans have a better sense of proportion.

Europeans don't have a better sense of anything.

Travis

deflave Offline OP
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage

I don't think so. The pistol grip is too closed for my carry style forcing me to reach for the safety; it's ok at the shot.

I hope it's just a matter of getting used to it. My SxSs have straight or English grips and that is what I'm used to.

George,

I have not used or hunted with a straight grip but I would think they could spoil a guy. They make sense IMO.

Travis

deflave Offline OP
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage

Are you just considering shell shuckers or would you consider an O/U or SxS? You're doubling up on cost over an expensive semi-auto but a new little AyA 4/53 box lock in 28, for example, is plain but exudes quality and is well under 6 lbs. ~ $2800. Of course you can shop for used also. I've never regretted buying mine.

And there are O/Us well under that price I believe.

I'm speaking to Benelli 20 gauge vs the 28 gauge.

I have used double but grown to despise them.

Travis

deflave Offline OP
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
Travis, I think the thing I like about my 28 is the very light weight and small frame.. I have a couple 20's in the model.. I like them very much, and shoot them a bit.. When I first got the 28 probably 10+ years ago, I shot it a great when I first got it.. Killed lots of birds.. One thing I think must be kept in mind is lots of folks hunt over pointers.. They get fairly close shots if they are like the pointers I have hunted over.

I think you have a lab, I have goldens.. Since they do not point, my shots tend to be longer than a hunter with pointers. At least I would think so.. Often my birds are getting up at the distance these guys are shooting their birds.. So usually I opt for a bit more gun..

But I think you would truly enjoy the 28 what ever model you choose.. It is a great little ga. and a joy to hunt with anc shoot..

You are correct. Lab and no pointers.

I think this comes down to a 20 vs 28 thing but only when speaking to the Benelli Ultra light.

Travis

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I thought the Benelli Monte was available in a 28 but don't see it on their website now. Just the Legacy and the Ultralight at about 2k and $1800 respectively but that's not street price necessarily.

Both are near five pounds and that is really nice! I have no use for heavy shotguns in the type of hunting I do.

Edit: just my thinking but if you are keeping your M2 (12 ga, no?), I'd go 28 over 20. You'll spend a bit more for shot shells but we've all probably spent coin more foolishly than that.

Last edited by George_De_Vries_3rd; 11/29/15.
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
28s reload cheap.

Soli Deo Gloria

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Travis,

I've used the 28 quite a bit over the last 15 years or so, and it works fine for 90% of bird hunting. Have never had any problem killing sharptails and wild roosters out to 40 yards with the right choke and load, and have killed big sage grouse out to 47.

Yes, the 20 will do anything the 28 will ballistically, but the problem with most American 20's is they're too big and clunky, because they're chambered for 3" magnums. As a result they're not much different than 12's used to be before the 3" 20-gauge became the In Thing, usually weighing around 7 pounds.

Have owned and hunted with several 28's, but the only one that stuck (and the shotgun I use for most early-season upland hunting) is my 5 pound 2 ounce Fausti side-by-side. It can be carried easily all day even by old farts like me, and kills stuff fine.

I did an article on why the 28 works so well a few years ago for HANDLOADER, which looked at all the myths and misconceptions. Factory loads will do it all, but handloading is easy and makes the 28 even more versatile.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Mule Deer

Have owned and hunted with several 28's, but the only one that stuck (and the shotgun I use for most early-season upland hunting) is my 5 pound 2 ounce Fausti side-by-side. It can be carried easily all day even by [/b]old farts like me[b]and kills stuff fine.

I was trying to not be so descriptive as to why I like light shotguns. 😉

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D

Have owned and hunted with several 28's, but the only one that stuck (and the shotgun I use for most early-season upland hunting) is my 5 pound 2 ounce Fausti side-by-side. It can be carried easily all day even by [/b]old farts like me[b]and kills stuff fine.

laugh

Well, it is what it is... smile

I like this one, a Merkel that handles great. Light, but not too light, just right.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
My Fausti is the first super-light 28 I've tried that swings nicely for me, probably because of the 28" barrels. It's also the first single-trigger double I've owned with a trigger that refuses to fail--at least so far, and it shot the hell out of it before writing the check, one of the advantages of being a gun writer. (Other than shooting a bunch of guns and animals, traveling here and there, plus a lot of free ammo, the profession sucks.)

Oh, and it has a straight grip.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Mule Deer, Just curious: how have you had single trigger guns fail?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

John, do you like the 28" tubes on such a slender shotgun? My AyA is the same and while I have no complaints as to function at all, at times I wonder if it would look better "balanced" with 26" tubes. Purely aesthetics.

Dirt farmer, I've never had a Merkel but am quite sure I'd really like it. 😀

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Dirt farmer, I've never had a Merkel but am quite sure I'd really like it. 😀

You would, for sure.

This one has 27" tubes and a solid rib, balances really well.

DF

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer

laugh

Well, it is what it is... smile

I like this one, a Merkel that handles great. Light, but not too light, just right.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Mine is close to this but with case hardening instead of the brushed silver finish.

http://www.newenglandcustomgun.com/uploads/myphotos/AYA425SpecialEdition.jpg

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D

Travis

Travis, I love 28s. Really light recoil in light guns and just fun to shoot with little if any discernible difference from a 20 in knock down. I also like Benellis and am really tempted to buy one in 28.

I suggest you absolutely buy the Benelli and then let me know how you like it!

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
George,

I've owned a bunch of 28's, and I don't care about how balanced they look. Instead I care about how balanced they feel.

But the Fausti looks pretty good. You might ask luv2safari about it.....

John Steinbeck
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
George,

I've owned a bunch of 28's, and I don't care about how balanced they look. Instead I care about how balanced they feel.

But the Fausti looks pretty good. You might ask luv2safari about it.....

I may be PO'd (proportionality obsessed).

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W

I don't think I could ever consider an upland gun "too light" but I am also thinking the 28 doesn't bring enough to the table to justify bothering with a 28.

But if I'm wrong in this thinking I may try a 28.

Travis

I think it depends on shooting style but I'd rather carry a 6 pound 20 gauge than the ultralight in Montana. A little extra weight for more shootablilty is worth it form me.

My dad is small with shoulder issues and weight can be an issue for him. He always said his 20 gauge ultralight was his last shotgun. He bought a 20 gauge super sport for clays and now it's all he shoots for prairie birds. He shoots it significantly better in the open out your way.

If your strictly a snap shooter the light gun might be better.

deflave Offline OP
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
Travis,

I've used the 28 quite a bit over the last 15 years or so, and it works fine for 90% of bird hunting. Have never had any problem killing sharptails and wild roosters out to 40 yards with the right choke and load, and have killed big sage grouse out to 47.

Yes, the 20 will do anything the 28 will ballistically, but the problem with most American 20's is they're too big and clunky, because they're chambered for 3" magnums. As a result they're not much different than 12's used to be before the 3" 20-gauge became the In Thing, usually weighing around 7 pounds.

Have owned and hunted with several 28's, but the only one that stuck (and the shotgun I use for most early-season upland hunting) is my 5 pound 2 ounce Fausti side-by-side. It can be carried easily all day even by old farts like me, and kills stuff fine.

I did an article on why the 28 works so well a few years ago for HANDLOADER, which looked at all the myths and misconceptions. Factory loads will do it all, but handloading is easy and makes the 28 even more versatile.

Do you see ammo for it a lot? Big R always has a bunch but I'm not sure if that would be the case everywhere.

Travis

deflave Offline OP
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by DesertMuleDeer

Why does everybody suggest this? grin

Travis

deflave Offline OP
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage

I think it depends on shooting style but I'd rather carry a 6 pound 20 gauge than the ultralight in Montana. A little extra weight for more shootablilty is worth it form me.

My dad is small with shoulder issues and weight can be an issue for him. He always said his 20 gauge ultralight was his last shotgun. He bought a 20 gauge super sport for clays and now it's all he shoots for prairie birds. He shoots it significantly better in the open out your way.

If your strictly a snap shooter the light gun might be better.

I like as light and as little recoil as possible. I never shoot clays with my shotgun. Maybe once in a great while I'll drink beer and do it at a friends house but even then I hate it. It bores me to tears.

I can't find anything wrong with my M2 though. It's gotta be under 6lbs and never comes off target at all.

I was going to buy another one for my wife, but then got to thinking she will need to shoot some clays. And I'd like as little recoil as possible for her without having to handicap her with a .410.

Travis

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Get the 28 and buy a case of Fiocchi, Golden Pheasants 7/8 oz of 6's and call it "good." There is an old medical phrase that goes, "'better' is the enemy of good."

You'll thank me later. Or not.

Last edited by George_De_Vries_3rd; 11/30/15.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The 28 with the least felt recoil might be the Remington 1100 Sporting Clays model. At 6lbs 15 oz mine's only 4oz lighter than my 1100 "Lt 20", probably too heavy for a true 28 but IMO it balances well and is an easy shooter. My wife and daughter shoot sporting clays with it and have no problem shooting 100 rounds in an afternoon. They both say it has noticeably less felt recoil than the LT 20.

Last edited by 43Shooter; 11/30/15.
deflave Offline OP
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
Get the 28 and buy a case of Fiocchi, Golden Pheasants 7/8 oz of 6's and call it "good." There is an old medical phrase that goes, "'better' is the enemy of good."

6's?

NEVAH.

Dave

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

6's?

NEVAH.

Dave

Lead a guy to the water but...there's 5's; there's 7 1/2s too.

deflave Offline OP
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
6's suck.

Travis

M
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
M
Travis,

Before I left eastern Washington for Alaska I hunted a Beretta 686 O/U 28 gauge. It was the nicest upland gun I ever used and one I deeply regret selling.

I shot over a close working Brittany and took pheasants, quail, huns, chukars, doves, three species of grouse, and the occasional jump shot duck with the Beretta. The gun only weighed 5 pounds 12 ounces, making it a sweet carrying shotgun.

I shot mostly handloads, 3/4 or 7/8 ounce, and never felt I lacked power for any of the birds listed.

While it is not entirely necessary to own a 28 gauge to maintain your standing within our group of the shooting fratenity's "most interesting men in the world," it certainly helps to reinforce that position. Men outside of our group will speak in hushed and reverent tones when they watch you step out of the field with three pheasants, a 28 gauge and only 2 empty hulls. cool

Chronographs, bore scopes and pattern boards have broke a lot of hearts.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by mart
Travis,

Before I left eastern Washington for Alaska I hunted a Beretta 686 O/U 28 gauge. It was the nicest upland gun I ever used and one I deeply regret selling.

I shot over a close working Brittany and took pheasants, quail, huns, chukars, doves, three species of grouse, and the occasional jump shot duck with the Beretta. The gun only weighed 5 pounds 12 ounces, making it a sweet carrying shotgun.

I shot mostly handloads, 3/4 or 7/8 ounce, and never felt I lacked power for any of the birds listed.

While it is not entirely necessary to own a 28 gauge to maintain your standing within our group of the shooting fratenity's "most interesting men in the world," it certainly helps to reinforce that position. Men outside of our group will speak in hushed and reverent tones when they watch you step out of the field with three pheasants, a 28 gauge and only 2 empty hulls. cool

And then lay a white linen table cloth over the tail gate, uncork a fine Australian Chardonnay to go with the smoked salmon and wafers..

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Mule Deer: How about including the 28 Gauge in a future Looney News?

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
I'll do that!

We're always looking for suggestions from subscribers.

John Steinbeck
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
DesertMuleDeer,

Missed your question on single-trigger doubles. Have seen quite a few single triggers malfunction, but the gun that really drove me nuts was a 28-gauge over-under from a well-known Italian firm. I could shoot it very well, but sometimes it would refuse to fire the second barrel, and sending it back to the company didn't fix the problem, nor did turning it over to a very knowledgable local gunsmith. It finally drove me so nuts I sold the thing, and yes, I did reveal the problem.

I generally prefer double triggers on double guns, as they're the quickest way to actually choose which barrel to shoot, and aside from one trigger that needed its pull readjusted after a year of use, have never had any trouble with them. But I grew up with a 2-trigger double, so am used to 'em. Two triggers confuse some people!

John Steinbeck
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Travis,

I can almost always find 28 ammo somewhere around here, but they tend to be scarcer in small towns in eastern Montana. When I do find a deal, I often buy a case.

But the 28 is also really easy to handload. I don't do a lot of shotshell loading any more, but probably load more 28's than anything. One excellent load that I've used on a number of wild roosters with great success is 7/8 ounce of hard #7's, which are the same size as the English #6 shot that Brits favor for driven pheasants. Plenty of pattern density and penetration even on roosters flying directly away at 35-40 yards.

John Steinbeck
deflave Offline OP
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
Thanks John.

I do not shoot enough shotgun to reload. I just buy a case or two every year. I would likely just do the same for the 28. All I shoot now are 20's.

Travis

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've hunted with 28 gauges since the early 70's. As a young man, a Remington 11-48 28 gauge bored skeet killed everything my Red Setter locked in on while I was attended the University of Idaho and hunting the Palouse in Washington and well beyond that.

Before I had my first 28 gauge (the 11-48), I had lusted after a brand new Charles Daly 28 over and under while I was in the Air Force during the 60's stationed in Charleston S.C . At $345 it was like 4 months rent (I was married) and out of the question. However I did find a mint one years ago and quickly snapped it up.

Like the 28 so well, I have too many....pumps, auto's and O/U's. The only thing I used a 12 gauge for is spring turkey and even then it's overkill when only shooting under 30 yards, and generally usually closer.

The little 11-48 is one sweet little 28. In my opinion the best gauge out there if you know and adhere to it's limitations. They are an absolute waterfowl killer over dekes if again, you keep it's range in perspective.

If I recall Phil Harris, who hunted with Bing on the old American Sportsman show during the 60's hunted with a 28. I also believe Jack O'connor was fond of a Remington 11-48 in 28 gauge that he had.

Buy one....you won't regret it.

"By the time you realize your father was a smart man, you have a teenager telling you just how stupid you are."
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Thanks John.
I do not shoot enough shotgun to reload. I just buy a case or two every year. I would likely just do the same for the 28. All I shoot now are 20's.
Travis

Travis-
If you get a 28ga, just go down to Bing 'n' Bobs and have them fix you up with a case of good plated hard stuff.

Pursuit may be, it seems to me, perfect without possession.
Robert Kelley Weeks (1840-1876)
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The worst part of hunting with a 28ga is remembering to hold your pinky in the air while drinking your roadie.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Travis,

I probably wouldn't handload shotgun shells myself if somebody wasn't paying me to write about it now and then.

John Steinbeck
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Backroads
The worst part of hunting with a 28ga is remembering to hold your pinky in the air while drinking your roadie.

You funny....thanks for the chuckle.

"By the time you realize your father was a smart man, you have a teenager telling you just how stupid you are."
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
DesertMuleDeer,

Missed your question on single-trigger doubles. Have seen quite a few single triggers malfunction, but the gun that really drove me nuts was a 28-gauge over-under from a well-known Italian firm. I could shoot it very well, but sometimes it would refuse to fire the second barrel, and sending it back to the company didn't fix the problem, nor did turning it over to a very knowledgable local gunsmith. It finally drove me so nuts I sold the thing, and yes, I did reveal the problem.

I generally prefer double triggers on double guns, as they're the quickest way to actually choose which barrel to shoot, and aside from one trigger that needed its pull readjusted after a year of use, have never had any trouble with them. But I grew up with a 2-trigger double, so am used to 'em. Two triggers confuse some people!

I bated you a little. I have had the same problem with the second barrel and double triggers in dirty, dusty country where the sand and sage brush blows. I thought the problem of not firing the second barrel was unique to the country but maybe not. Never the less, have converted to 16 ga Model 12s, Benellis and a restocked, 100-year-old Fox with double triggers when hunting there, solving the problem.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
6's suck.

Travis

I try to only use 6s on upland game. They work well with a tight choke on wild-flushing, hard-to-anchor blue quail and even better on easier-to -knock-down pheasant. They even work on the Huns you have up North in my limited experience.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Depends on how a gun feels to you.

I just handled a few 28 ga SXS and while they were light and handy I would not trade one for one of my 20's or the 16ga.

I have shot my Bernadelli and done well on pheasants. It weighs 5# 13 oz with it's 27.5" barrels and double triggers and since I got the birds I like it.

However after getting the newer to me Ugartechea 221-20 3" out at 5# 9 oz and 24.5" barrels I would take that the next time.

The LOP on the Ugar, to the right, is shorter and it feels faster to shoulder.

[Linked Image]

deflave Offline OP
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage

I try to only use 6s on upland game. They work well with a tight choke on wild-flushing, hard-to-anchor blue quail and even better on easier-to -knock-down pheasant. They even work on the Huns you have up North in my limited experience.

Full choke and 5's are all I carry.

Travis

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
If you buy a 28 and don't reload be prepared to find 6s and 7.5s on the shelf....

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
5's are all I carry.

Odd...

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Why does everybody suggest this? grin

Travis

He has a Howa Alpine to buy and report on before this.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Thanks John.

Travis

I would suggest a case of Fiocchi 7/8 oz (1300 fps FYI) of 5's or 7 1/2s since you don't like the best shot size--6's. On wild birds under the best of conditions a case might last you three years,..or five.

I'm curious as to how anybody could tell the difference between the above and Fiocchi 20 ga. 1 oz of the same shot size at 1245 fps.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Pretty much have used only 6 shot out of the 28's. Always worked extremely well.

Last edited by Wacenturion; 12/01/15.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Yeah, 6's and 7's work great on pheasants in the 28 (or any gauge), but they work better if they're hard. They don't have to be plated, but high-antimony shot definitely penetrates deeper than "standard" shot, because it doesn't flatten out when it hits.

Hard shot costs more, whether in factory or handloads, but using hard shot a size or two smaller than standard shot provides a denser pattern and penetrates just as deeply. But I know a lot of people who refuse to pay for better shot, just like many people refuse to pay for better rifle bullets.

John Steinbeck
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Hard shot leaves the barrel rounder too and flies truer, giving a better pattern.

7s were made for the 28. ;-{>8

Soli Deo Gloria

deflave Offline OP
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage

I would suggest a case of Fiocchi 7/8 oz (1300 fps FYI) of 5's or 7 1/2s since you don't like the best shot size--6's. On wild birds under the best of conditions a case might last you three years,..or five.

????

Travis

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by 43Shooter
The 28 with the least felt recoil might be the Remington 1100 Sporting Clays model. At 6lbs 15 oz mine's only 4oz lighter than my 1100 "Lt 20", probably too heavy for a true 28 but IMO it balances well and is an easy shooter. My wife and daughter shoot sporting clays with it and have no problem shooting 100 rounds in an afternoon. They both say it has noticeably less felt recoil than the LT 20.

I have that same gun, and mine has virtually no recoil. And I agree it's really too heavy as a 28ga. But I just shoot it so damn well. I prefer 7.5 for doves and quail & # 6 shot for pheasants.

Like I mentioned earlier, I REALLY want one of the little Benneli Ultralight 28ga autos.
At only 4.5 lbs, it would be ideal to carry all day long chasing pheasants or West TX quail, IMO. I'll probably give in & buy one for next year.
I'd also LOVE to have one of the little Merkel SXS's in 28 ga, too.

And I don't reload for my 28 gauge, either. I just buy a case or two of Winchester AA's every year.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D

I have that same gun, and mine has virtually no recoil. And I agree it's really too heavy as a 28ga. But I just shoot it so damn well. I prefer 7.5 for doves and quail & # 6 shot for pheasants.

Like I mentioned earlier, I REALLY want one of the little Benneli Ultralight 28ga autos.
At only 4.5 lbs, it would be ideal to carry all day long chasing pheasants or West TX quail, IMO. I'll probably give in & buy one for next year.

And I don't reload for my 28 gauge, either. I just buy a case or two of Winchester AA's every year.

I hope you save or pick up the empty Hulls. The 28 AA-HS hull outlasts
the Rem STS 28 ga by a wide margin.

Doc

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Travis

Wild eyed guess. 🤔 Meaning, by my shooting volume here, and that's juggling four guns off and on depending on whim. It could take me several years to go through a case of 20's or 28's or 12's because I shoot all three gauges in the four guns.

I don't have any shotgun shooting sports available locally so it's purely upland hunting for me this year (and usually true yearly) and would have to work hard to take fifty wild birds in NW Iowa. I may shoot another twenty in SD this year.

At least here, you'd have to hunt an awful lot to go through 250 rounds in a year.

deflave Offline OP
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by ingwe
If you buy a 28 and don't reload be prepared to find 6s and 7.5s on the shelf....

Thank you. But Al Gore invented a little something called the internet so I have no concerns.

Travis

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Unless you shoot and miss a lot. 😀

deflave Offline OP
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by MT_DD_FAN
Thanks John.
Travis

Travis-
If you get a 28ga, just go down to Bing 'n' Bobs and have them fix you up with a case of good plated hard stuff.

Oh yeah. They will.

They're my go to gunshop.

Travis

deflave Offline OP
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by Backroads

Laughin'...

Travis

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
You come across like a Mossberg guy, but hey, who knows.

If you don't count the O/U Staggs built 30-30/20 gauge, this is the only upland gun I shoot. Churchill 28- 23" I/C M barrels. Chukar, quail, pheasant, grouse. I enjoy the 28 very much and it keeps up with the 12 gauge shell shucker guy I hunt with.

[Linked Image]

LOL
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

The reason I mention Fiocchi's is I've had very good experience with their shells, not that there aren't other good brands also.

deflave Offline OP
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
Travis,

I probably wouldn't handload shotgun shells myself if somebody wasn't paying me to write about it now and then.

Yeah. I don't shoot enough of it to justify the time.

Travis

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by doctor_Encore

I hope you save or pick up the empty Hulls. The 28 AA-HS hull outlasts
the Rem STS 28 ga by a wide margin. Doc

Yep. I give them to my Lawyer that reloads for his Benelli. You just never know when you might need a favor from a Lawyer. wink

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Great thread.

Depending on the cock and season, hard 4-6's, IM-Full.

16 gauge is where it's at.

28 gauge isn't even allowed on the Rez. And not just because wild Rez cocks are too tough...

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Fireball2

[Linked Image]

I'm sure I've had worse said and thought of me.

Very nice shotgun!

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Directed at Travis sir! grin

LOL
deflave Offline OP
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage

4.5lbs? They can't be that light can they?

Travis

deflave Offline OP
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage

Travis

Wild eyed guess. 🤔 Meaning, by my shooting volume here, and that's juggling four guns off and on depending on whim. It could take me several years to go through a case of 20's or 28's or 12's because I shoot all three gauges in the four guns.

I don't have any shotgun shooting sports available locally so it's purely upland hunting for me this year (and usually true yearly) and would have to work hard to take fifty wild birds in NW Iowa. I may shoot another twenty in SD this year.

At least here, you'd have to hunt an awful lot to go through 250 rounds in a year.

Yeah. I never thought about the multiple gun thing.

I only use the one since I bought it. I can't say I go through 10 boxes every season but it definitely shoots the schit out of a case.

I go quite a bit in early fall though.

Travis

deflave Offline OP
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by SamOlson

28 gauge isn't even allowed on the Rez. And not just because wild Rez cocks are too tough...

Because nobody can afford one?

Got you good you fugker!

grin

Travis

deflave Offline OP
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage

If you don't count the O/U Staggs built 30-30/20 gauge, this is the only upland gun I shoot. Churchill 28- 23" I/C M barrels. Chukar, quail, pheasant, grouse. I enjoy the 28 very much and it keeps up with the 12 gauge shell shucker guy I hunt with.

[Linked Image]

What does that thing weigh?

Travis

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Anyone ever try one of these?

http://www.pacotools.com/tool_discriptions

Considering the price of 28 gauge shells it might be an option especially for someone who only wants to load a couple of boxes a year for hunting.

Gerry.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

That looks interesting.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I have been looking at getting a a 20 for a while, looked for a SKB o/u, a M2 and a Weatherby Turkish made auto. I'm not much on Turkish crap but the Weatherby has great reviews and a few guys here on the fire have them, plus it's a BERETTA 303 copy except the safety is where it is supposed to be.

In my search I ran across the Weatherby in 28 ga. Wow it had good furnature, fit and finish and was light, fit great too. I passed. I also ran across the SKB in 28 ga. Omg I should be kicked in the taint, I didn't buy that gun. Shoulda! I can't imagine how light a Benelli UL would be, couldn't be any heavier than a pocket knife!

I'm a improve modified and #5 kinda guy but in the case of a 28 ga one would probably be better off with 6s to up the pellet count a bit, So Clark or Dave could you try and talk some sense to Travis give him a few beers first, that might help make him more agreeable.

Eating fried chicken and watermelon since 1972.

You tell me how I ought to be, yet you don't even know your own sexuality,, the philosopher,,, you know so much about nothing at all. Chuck Schuldiner
deflave Offline OP
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by gerrygoat

Considering the price of 28 gauge shells it might be an option especially for someone who only wants to load a couple of boxes a year for hunting.

I priced a case of 28's compared to 20's last week and the difference was a $20 bill.

Whatever that's worth.

Travis

deflave Offline OP
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by seal_billy

I'm a improve modified and #5 kinda guy but in the case of a 28 ga one would probably be better off with 6s to up the pellet count a bit, So Clark or Dave could you try and talk some sense to Travis give him a few beers first, that might help make him more agreeable.

Travis is a very objective and open minded guy. But that doesn't change the fact that he already knows everything.

Travis

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by gerrygoat

I priced a case of 28's compared to 20's last week and the difference was a $20 bill. Whatever that's worth.
Travis

Travis-
Just an fyi but you might take a look at the 28ga Baschieri & Pellagri shotshells sold in the USA by Aerostar Outdoors;

B&P has a 15/16 oz, 1300 fps 28ga load: B&P 28ga 15/16oz 1300 fps
and a 1 & 1/16 oz, 1210 fps 28ga load: B&P 28ga 1&1/16 oz 1210 fps

I've used some of the B&P shells in my 16 and 20 ga guns with good results - both on birds and clays.
Right now Aerostar has a free shipping promo on any size order, see: Aerostar Outdoors Catalog

Pursuit may be, it seems to me, perfect without possession.
Robert Kelley Weeks (1840-1876)
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I haven't used my 28 gauge a whole lot, but enough to say it works just fine on forest grouse with #6s.

I've used a .410 quite a bit and the 3" shells out of it will straight up knock a pheasant's dick in the dirt at 40+ yards. Maybe it's the combo with the full choke...I dunno.

deflave Offline OP
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
Thanks MT.

Travis

W
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
W
Travis, are you ordering the 28 ga.???? Life is short you better have it!! I love mine, just have others I love as much!!

Molon Labe
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Yeah, 6's and 7's work great on pheasants in the 28 (or any gauge), but they work better if they're hard. They don't have to be plated, but high-antimony shot definitely penetrates deeper than "standard" shot, because it doesn't flatten out when it hits.

Hard shot costs more, whether in factory or handloads, but using hard shot a size or two smaller than standard shot provides a denser pattern and penetrates just as deeply. But I know a lot of people who refuse to pay for better shot, just like many people refuse to pay for better rifle bullets.

^^^This is so damn true!^^^

deflave Offline OP
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
Travis, are you ordering the 28 ga.???? Life is short you better have it!! I love mine, just have others I love as much!!

WCH,

I'm going to get the Benelli UL I believe. I will be in Scheels today and see if they have any.

But I am in no big hurry right now. If I hunt birds any more before the end of the season it will be with the M2 anyway. Probably pick one up after New Years.

This Santa schit is fugkin' expensive. grin

Dave

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
You getting a 20 or 28? I can't even imagine how light a Benelli ultralight would be in 28ga.! The 12 feels like a feather!

Last edited by seal_billy; 12/12/15.

Eating fried chicken and watermelon since 1972.

You tell me how I ought to be, yet you don't even know your own sexuality,, the philosopher,,, you know so much about nothing at all. Chuck Schuldiner
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by rifletom

^^^This is so damn true!^^^

I shot 4 rounds of 5-stand today with a Caesar Guerinni 28 ga with 32 inch barrels....I love the gun. I will out to the field to pick up the un-broken birds finding quite a few with pellet hits yet no broken pieces with magnum #8 shot. I shot my first around alone. I am going to hard (magmum) 7 1/2 shot in everything for sporting clays.

Doc

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
w have u 7 1/2 or 6's in u 28's for years on everything from Sharptails and wild rosters to rufies and released birds .We shoot them with open and modified chokes with no issues.
The Fausti ea I owned was a incredible gun, but I sold it in favor of my double triggered , English stocked Ugartechea.
The guy I sold it to uses it more than any other gun he owns and he shots a pile of birds!
Cat

scopes are cool, but slings 'n' irons RULE!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Just got back from two days in central SD. We just crushed the pheasants but in thinking back over the shots, an easy 85% of them could have been taken with any light 28 ga., say a Ben UL or Legacy or a properly framed SxS in 28. It actually was probably much closer to 90%.

Plus, in plodding along 5-10 miles of uneven, muddy, or snowy, Dakota countryside, a 5 lb 28 is much more amenable to the process than a 7-8 lb 12 ga. that becomes the stone under the mattress you just cannot ignore.

True, there are shots you don't attempt with a 28 that you can accomplish with the 12 but so what,..there are plenty of birds that will flush close, even in December.

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Can you get steel or non lead shot for a 28? One of the issues I have when hunting in SD with my 16 gauge was hunting on Wildlife Production areas. Which require non lead shot.

I ended up using my LW 12 gauge with steel. Much easier to find steel every where. Plus you cant have and lead on you in steel or non lead areas. Simpler solution is 2 shotguns and 2 different vests.

kk alaska

Alaska 7 months of winter then 5 months of tourists
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Google Mack's Praire Wings. If there is a non-toxic in any gauge, they
probably have it.

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
I shoot left handed so shotgun options are somewhat limited. I shoot mostly o/u. Is the 28 ga.SKB on a smaller frame than the 20 ga.? What o/u 28s are on the smaller frame? I see no advantage to the 28 if they are on the same frame.

Thanks,

Dean

W
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
W
I had a Bretta 28 and a couple 20's.. I think the 28 was a smaller frame..

Molon Labe
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Don't know about the SKB's, but the currently manufactured Beretta Silver Pigeon I and Silver Pigeon V 28 gauges are on the "baby" frame. Other Berettas have been made on the 20 gauge frame. I have them both ways and don't have a strong opinion either way.

Talk is cheap. It takes money to buy whiskey.
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna

[Linked Image]

Travis

Travis, sorry I was not able to reply sooner. I do not have an accurate scale so I can't help you there. It's light, due to it's short barrels, but not featherlight as the high end guns can be. It suits me fine. I've sold off all but one or two other scatterguns as I find this to be ideal for my shooting. I have not seen another with 23" barrels though. Pretty rare I expect. It was not an expensive gun at $750 or so IIRC. I would buy a 20 gauge if I were inclined to shop for a mate to it. Not sure why really.

LOL
T
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
T

[Linked Image]

Travis

Travis, sorry I was not able to reply sooner. I do not have an accurate scale so I can't help you there. It's light, due to it's short barrels, but not featherlight as the high end guns can be. It suits me fine. I've sold off all but one or two other scatterguns as I find this to be ideal for my shooting. I have not seen another with 23" barrels though. Pretty rare I expect. It was not an expensive gun at $750 or so IIRC. I would buy a 20 gauge if I were inclined to shop for a mate to it. Not sure why really.

I've got it's twin. They are Churchill Windsor Flyweights.
I bought mine new 30 or so years ago. Never put mine on a scale but it's light and a tiny thing.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
I have had a couple of "proper" 28 gauge SxS's over the years and have moved them on given my proper sized 20 and 16 bores. Seemed more hype and desire than real advantage. I still have a number of boxes of Remington paper hull shells I should unload.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
deflave Offline OP
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
The lighter the better.

I think the Benelli in 28 is about as light as one can get.

Travis

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Ive always liked the idea of the Franchi al48 in 28ga.

Under 5 1/2 #'s. They get good reviews.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
deflave Offline OP
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
Mooner,

I was able to handle one of those Affinity's last week and that thing really does look just like an M2!

I had no idea they made a 28. I will look into that.

Thanks and GFY.

Travis

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I've owned a few 28's. Benelli, Remington, a Stevens O/U and an AKKAR pump. I've hunted with each of them, had some success and always wish I'd taken a 20 instead!

I enjoy handguns and I really like shotguns,...but I love rifles!
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
The lighter the better.

I think the Benelli in 28 is about as light as one can get.

Travis

A 28" small framed 20 bore is the bees knees. Oh and two triggers and a straight or Prince of Wales grip are a must.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
There's just something natural about two triggers and SxS barrels that are a must for me. Not nostalgia, they just work well for me. Since I'm not a great shot the open chokes are best for me.

[Linked Image]

LOL
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Yeah, I know this is about the 28ga, but, damn, I really like my Wingmaster 20ga for those upland birds.
Nothin' wrong with a 28 tho.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Using a 28 is about the gun, and to a certain extent recoil.

I own and hunt with shotguns in all the usual gauges except .410 (they keep coming and going), including 28, 20, 16, 12 and 10—but my 5 pound 2 ounce Fausti side-by-side 28 gets to go when the light weight might be a real advantage, such as when hunting early-season mountain grouse, especially ruffs. But its 28-inch barrels also swing fine on longer crossing shots, so I’ve also used it on other birds up to and including pheasants and sage grouse.

A few years ago my wife Eileen started getting recoil headaches with any firearm that kicked more than a relatively small amount, and since she really prefers light firearms for most hunting it got to be a real problem. We’ve used a bunch of solutions, depending on the firearm, including muzzle brakes, super-pads, reduced handloads, etc., but for shotgunning Eileen found the 28 provided all the killing power she needed for upland birds when using commonly available factory loads—and no headaches.

Yes, you can handload any gauge up to 12 with 28-gauge-equivalent shot charges, and I do that for her other shotguns she likes to take now and then, especially her nifty little British 16-gauge side-by-side which weighs 5-3/4 pounds. But it’s still not quite as light as her Hatfield side-by-side 28, for which she can just go grab a box of factory ammo.

John Steinbeck
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Yep, Assuming the cartridge can kill reliably, it's all about proportion and weight for me. I just texted a friend about his pheasant hunt yesterday with other friends. His response was: "walked eight miles, killed three birds."

It's the state of catch-as-catch-can pheasant hunting here and much of upland hunting anywhere. You walk so much more than you shoot; yet, when you do get the chance at a bird, you want a gun you can depend on. And that's where you set your personal limits on what you will carry which will largely dictate gauge and type.

The 5-5.5 lb 28 with 7/8 oz shot is pretty darn quick, and capable.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I own and hunt with 12, 20, and 28 gauge shotguns. The 12 gauge is by far the most capable of the three. However, if one hunts over a pointing dog, as I do, a less powerful gauge is just fine. That is why I started hunting with a Beretta 20 gauge O/U over 40 years ago. Ten years ago I bought a 28 gauge O/U, which I like very much. It seems to kill about as well as my 20 gauge. For hunting, I use 1 ounce of nickel plated shot in the 20 and 7/8 ounce of nickel plated shot in the 28. I like the 28 gun and gauge very much, but there is a downside - cost. Ammo is expensive, and hard to find. I reload, so no problem here.

NRA Endowment Life Member, G.O.A supporter
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D

Yea and amen!!

Actually, my favorite gun writer of all time (sorry, it ain't you, John, but you're in the top dozen... grin ) is Michael Mcintosh, and he does a fine job of explaining the principles of shot in his excellent book, Shotguns & Shooting.

I was a convert to hard shot in the 1970's, after experiencing the very real frustration of watching ducks I was hitting hard flaring away (only to die a mile out into the marsh) while my friend's ducks fell dead. The difference was that he used premium hard shot, and I was shooting el cheapo Canadian Tire economy shells loaded with soft shot. I switched to hard shot reloads and have been killing game birds with lighter loads and smaller shot sizes ever since.

"I'm gonna have to science the schit out of this." Mark Watney, Sol 59, Mars
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Travis,

Find yourself an Ithaca 37 Ultralight in 20 gauge, one of the originals in 2 3/4", with a vent rib 25" barrel. Your small gauge fantasies will recede quickly.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by MadMooner
Ive always liked the idea of the Franchi al48 in 28ga.

Under 5 1/2 #'s. They get good reviews.

I agree. Have a beautiful Deluxe AL-48 28 gauge with incredible figure in the wood. Unfortunately I don't have a photo at the moment. However I also have a Franchi Veloce in 28 gauge as well with an English stock. Both are great little guns.

http://s98.photobucket.com/user/SS30ANV/media/franchiveloce28gauge_zps5jpjljkj.jpg.html][Linked Image]

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Citori's in 28 are pretty nice as well. As you can tell I like English stocks.

http://s98.photobucket.com/user/SS30ANV/media/2243058_bcs_1_zpslvlo3q13.jpg.html][Linked Image]

deflave Offline OP
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by DakotaDeer
Travis,

Find yourself an Ithaca 37 Ultralight in 20 gauge, one of the originals in 2 3/4", with a vent rib 25" barrel. Your small gauge fantasies will recede quickly.

Welll.... fugk.

I think there was just one in the classifieds.

I'm fickle though. I want an auto.

Dave

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Whatcha lookin for?....

I enjoy handguns and I really like shotguns,...but I love rifles!
deflave Offline OP
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
Ben

Ell

EEE

Dave

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Travis, have you handled both the Benelli Legacy and the Ultralight in 28 ga? Their web sight says they both weigh the same at 5 lbs each.
I'm still trying to decide between those two. My buddie's Benelli Ultralight only weighs 4.5 lbs.

Last edited by chlinstructor; 01/16/16.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
deflave Offline OP
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
I have only handled the UL in the 28 and the Legacy in the 20.

Going to hit Scheels tomorrow (hopefully) and see what they have.

Dave

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Dave,

One thing I've found with most 28's is the advertised weight isn't always what they actually weigh. One exception has been my Fausti side-by-side, which weighs within a couple of ounces of what it's supposed to. But others have been up to half a pound heavier and specs.

John Steinbeck
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Doc,

Hey, Mike McIntosh is one of my most-favorite gun writers!

Plus, he was a great guy. First met him almost 30 years ago, during a big weekend in Oxford, Mississippi, shortly after the launch of a new magazine named SHOOTING SPORTSMAN. I was another of the original staff writers, and we had a great time talking writing, guns and life, and shooting some Sporting Clays as well. I miss him, and while I have plenty of his writing on my shelves, miss reading more.

John Steinbeck
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Travis,

How about a pre-war, first year production 20 ga. with solid rib..?

Bought it used, metal as you see it, wood pretty rough. Refinished wood, recut checkering, added the pad.

DF

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Travis,

Bought it used, metal as you see it, wood pretty rough. Refinished wood, recut checkering, added the pad.

DF

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

First Ithaca 37 with a solid rib I have ever seen....very nice...a classic for sure.

Doc

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
If I can't kill it with 3.5 in BB'S from my SBE2 I don't need to shoot at it

The government plans these shootings by targeting kids from kindergarten that the government thinks they can control with drugs until the appropriate time--DerbyDude

Whatever. Tell the oompa loompa's hey for me. [/quote]. LtPPowell

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by doctor_Encore
Travis,

DF

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

First Ithaca 37 with a solid rib I have ever seen....very nice...a classic for sure.

Doc

37R

Yeah, pretty rare.

It has a Deluxe Polychoke. I figure that was a popular vintage set up and use it as is. The gun is very light. If I cut the Polychoke and install choke tubes, it wouldn't handle as well, would be too whippy.

It's not too unlike shooting a 28 ga., just uses slightly larger shells.

DF

Edited to add, 1940 date of mfg.

Last edited by Dirtfarmer; 01/24/16.
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
DF. That's a really nice job on your m37.. I have my Dads 16 ga with the same type furniture on it. You're correct great guns.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
I like the look of the checkered, small forearm handle.

I was surprised to find that the line per inch checkering was different, stock (20 lpi) vs. handle (18 lpi). I've heard that work was farmed out and whoever did that checkering, used different tools, different spacing, probably different people.

Those old guns were really well put together and are super slick. Ithaca fans seem to be looking for a cheap gun, tend to pride themselves on how cheap. That one cost me $255 from a major Houston dealer. Then, on the Shotgun World Ithaca forum, one member jumped all over me for altering the stock. Said he's been looking for a pre-war stock for years and I'd ruined this one. Oh well...

I explained my thinking. If this was an expensive collector, then I would have been more cautious. The wood was really beat up, so I did what I thought was needed to make it a shooter to suit me, no thought about the collector issue. I guess I can see it from his point of view.

Hard to get these guns for cheap, then act like they're high dollar trophies. From what I've learned about Lou Smith, the Ithaca founder, he would like to see his guns out in the field being used.

Philosophical disagreement...

DF

Last edited by Dirtfarmer; 01/26/16.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I think you did right by that shotgun. In America old cars get restored to better than new, while many think old firearms deserve nothing more than an oily rag rubdown.

W
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
W
That is a beautiful Ithaca 37R.. I have had a couple, but all were 12 ga. When I was a kid that 37 in 16 ga. was the choice of many of my cousins.. I need to find a nice 37 to complete my collection of pump guns.. I really want an R probably in 12 to go with the others..

Travis, did you get a 28???

Molon Labe
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Doc,

Hey, Mike McIntosh is one of my most-favorite gun writers!

Plus, he was a great guy. First met him almost 30 years ago, during a big weekend in Oxford, Mississippi, shortly after the launch of a new magazine named SHOOTING SPORTSMAN. I was another of the original staff writers, and we had a great time talking writing, guns and life, and shooting some Sporting Clays as well. I miss him, and while I have plenty of his writing on my shelves, miss reading more.

I miss reading more of his stuff, too. Good to know you liked him. Shooting Sportsman has been a favorite of mine off & on for a lot of years.

"I'm gonna have to science the schit out of this." Mark Watney, Sol 59, Mars
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by battue
I think you did right by that shotgun. In America old cars get restored to better than new, while many think old firearms deserve nothing more than an oily rag rubdown.

Thanks,

I even changed the toe angle, using my Browning Superlight as the template. The Browning handled better for me than the Ithaca, so now the 37R is set up exactly like the Superlight. The Ithaca purist wasn't too happy about that, either.

Oh well...

Sorta bothered me that it bothered him.

But, I really like this gun and the way it handles. Light, quick on target and mild recoil with low brass shells. Because it's so light, I used a Limbsaver pad.

And, I sorta like the PolyChoke. Something different, very retro, a glimpse into the past.

DF

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have a gun for you 28 gauge aficionados, how about buying my 1937 mfg, Winchester model 12 28 gauge field gun? It's absolutely beautiful, lightly used, not altered, an honest to God 28 gauge, not a fake. 6g's and its yours and you won't find another. No cutts.

Last edited by Alaskajim; 01/29/16.
deflave Offline OP
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
That is a beautiful Ithaca 37R.. I have had a couple, but all were 12 ga. When I was a kid that 37 in 16 ga. was the choice of many of my cousins.. I need to find a nice 37 to complete my collection of pump guns.. I really want an R probably in 12 to go with the others..

Travis, did you get a 28???

Haven't even found one.

Wife's birthday this month so I may have to get motivated.

Travis

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
I bought a Franchi Renaissance o/u in 28 gauge. Love that shotgun for pheasants. 5 1/4 lbs, and death on pheasants. And not that expensive.

Good luck.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Pm sent

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
what are your opinions on this one?? it looks nice to me ....http://www.cabelas.com/product/DICKINSON-PLANTATION-SXS-SHTGN/1975147.uts

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
The shotgun on my bucket list is an Ithaca Model 37 in 28 ga with the corncob forend

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
J
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
J
I hunted pheasants this year with a guy who shot a 28 bore Bespoke shotgun of some sort of British lineage. He shot RST 1oz, # 7 1/2 shot pigeon loads traveling at about 1300fps. That 28 was an absolute HAMMER on pheasants, and was hotter than the 20ga loads I was using. I was shooting 1oz of #5's at about 1220 fps. We couldnt tell a damn bit of difference between the two. 28 bores rock!!!!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Folks, my 28 is in the Classifieds for sale. I'm cutting down on my sporting gear and after much gnashing of teeth and a period of rare pragmatic thinking, it drew the short straw.

It's a great gun; go take a look.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D

Folks, my 28 is in the Classifieds for sale. I'm cutting down on my sporting gear and after much gnashing of teeth and a period of rare pragmatic thinking, it drew the short straw.

It's a great gun; go take a look.

Post a link, can't find it.

DF

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

560 members (10gaugemag, 1lesfox, 11point, 007FJ, 12344mag, 160user, 51 invisible), 2,536 guests, and 1,243 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,360
Posts18,468,953
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.