-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
For grins and giggles, let's say a pre-threaded, short chambered barrel is a Shilen. Threaded for a Rem 700 and chambered 223 Rem. What are the chances that said barrel could be reamed to .223 AI and without any further modifications - i.e. tenon shortened, bolt nose recess lengthened, etc?

I never thought I'd grow up to be a grumpy old man, but I did, and I'm killin' it.
GB1

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Can be reamed to AI with out any problems. Must use an AI go gauge as it is .004 shorter then the standard 223 go gauge.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
You would probably have more success reaming to a AI, than a standard chamber. I've never used one, but I believe they are not very "short", meaning it doesn't take much to reach headspace. What are the chances the reamer used to finish it out matches the reamer used to chamber in the first place?

A long chambered barrel makes more sense to me.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I can't speak for the 223 & Shilen, but short chambered A&B/Grn Mtn barrels in 257 Bob and 7x57 both went to AI with no set back needed.
They are suppose to be .040" short, generally you only need .012" to make it an AI. Most people will go 1 full turn if trying to index sights or lettering on the barrel. Depending on your thread pitch that could be .062" or so.

Some is Good---More is Better----Too Much is Just Right
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Well, if I can round up a reamer and gages, I'm gonna give it a shot.

I never thought I'd grow up to be a grumpy old man, but I did, and I'm killin' it.
IC B2

H
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
H

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by WiFowler

Maybe you should also think about getting a lathe to do it.

+Professional member American Custom Gunmakers Guild
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by WayneShaw
You would probably have more success reaming to a AI, than a standard chamber. I've never used one, but I believe they are not very "short", meaning it doesn't take much to reach headspace. What are the chances the reamer used to finish it out matches the reamer used to chamber in the first place?

A long chambered barrel makes more sense to me.

I've always though that a long chambered barrel would be a better idea.

Just face the shoulder to get headspace. No reamer required.

"after the bullet leaves the barrel it doesn't care what headstamp was on the case"
"The 221 Fireball is what the Hornet could have been had it stayed in school"
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Jkob
Originally Posted by WiFowler

Maybe you should also think about getting a lathe to do it.

I have a lathe and have done my own threading, chambering, etc. Just so happens I have a short chambered barrel, and figured I give it a shot w/o the lathe. I've seen and heard multiple references to short chambered barrels being a 'breeze' to finish. But to me they were one of those "too good to be true" stories. Hence, I asked here.

If all else fails, in the lathe it'll go.

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
I would like to hear how the finish reaming on that Short chambered barrel goes. I am getting ready to do two by hand. One .280 AI and one .300 win mag. Shilen short chambered barrels from Midway. Midway says no sweat. Shilen says no sweat, PGT says no sweat. So why am I nervous. They are very close, dropping go and no go gauges in they are very close.

IC B3

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
It takes more reaming then you think, because the neck and throat are short and undersized. You will notice the reamer is protruding more then the .010 they say the chamber is short. You will notice that after the first few turns all the chips will be in the throat neck and shoulder area. Still a piece of cake to headspace and finish.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've done a .223 to 22-204 and a 6x47 Rem to 6mm-204 both with the barrel on the action with a bushing at the rear of the reamer handle to keep it centerred. Both turned out very good and have killed their share of coyotes.

My advice for what it's worth go lightly with the reamer, clean and check headspace often it is very easy to go too far. Use a lot of cutting/reamer oil.

After the first shot the rest are just noise.

Make mine a Minaska

Heaven has walls and rules, H-ll has open borders

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

167 members (444Matt, 450yukon, 257_X_50, 19rabbit52, 270winchester, 16penny, 23 invisible), 1,870 guests, and 888 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,173
Posts18,465,371
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.