Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
I am hunting the resident goose zone in VA which goes out tomorrow and comes back later next month.

Deer hunting this moring at about sunup a flock of 10 geese flew into our pond. I was a few hundred yards away, but I saw them come in over the dam. I did not see them land. They were there 1.5 hours then flew back out over the dam and continued in their original direction.

Our pond is long and narrow, about 2 acres. At the end opposite the dam there is a small food plot with clover. In the past they like to feed there. Haven't seen any poop there lately though.

I have six goose decoys but have never used them or tried to hunt them. What would be my best setup. On the dam as that is how they are flying in? Decoys on the far side and set up in the brush? Cut the brush back somewhere along the middle of the pond and try to get a shot as they come into land on the water?

Are they likely to fly the same route tomorrow morning? Thanks.

GB1

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
if they fly the same route and they likley will, I'd just set up close to the path, and pass shoot em. 10 geese, you won't get more than the one time shots, don't mess with decoys IMHO. As long as you know WHERE they are going and can get close enough to be in range.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
I set up in the middle of the pond at the narrowest spot, where there was a break in the thick brush that surrounds the pond. If they flew in the way they did yesterday, they would be coming from my right and landing in front of me.

Shortly after light, I hear it a crazy strange (to me) sound an a hooded merganser landed right in front of me. He had come in from over the trees behind me, over my left shoulder. I did not see him until he was on the water. He saw me at the same time and took flight. I shot but was way behind him. Caught me completely off guard.

1/2 hour later I hear geese coming. From the same direction as the merganser. First, two geese come over, not low enough to land on the pond but lower than they often fly. I emptied my gun and they did flinch, and then 9 more flew over. Have no idea if they were the same as yesterday. I think they were all headed to the large field up the wooded hill from the pond, but after me they just kept going. Don't know if they were the same ones as yesterday.

Season comes back later in December. I will try again. Probably with decoys. Not sure if I will use them on the clover patch by the pond, or up in that big field. I have a lot to learn.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
scouting puts you on the X. think deer with a bow. You have to be(IMHO) within 15 yards of where they cross or eat, to kill one.

Waterfowl are the same due to distances of a shotgun. Not 15 yards but close is not good enough.

Spend more time scouting to find the X, where they naturally are goign, and you'll do better than always trying to hunt and hope.

Find the x a few days before season, scout and watch it, take a few decoys WHEREVER the X is, and you'll be fine.

A week ago we missed the X by about 80 yards... still shot 7 man limits of ducks, but mostly due to a STRONG front. If not for that front we would have had half limits. This with enough decoys, motion, jerk cords, and multiple callers.... where they want to be is a STRONG pull...

BTW go to the range and practice some if you were way behind the merganser.. you'll be more behinder the big goose thats hauling butt but looks slower...

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
^yep^ it's always easier to get waterfowl, ducks or geese to come to where they already want to be.

Dang phone. Gotta edit cause I never proof read.

Last edited by seal_billy; 11/30/15.

Eating fried chicken and watermelon since 1972.

You tell me how I ought to be, yet you don't even know your own sexuality,, the philosopher,,, you know so much about nothing at all. Chuck Schuldiner
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Never hunted ducks much but have always heard that if you can see their eyes, they are close enough. Aim for the head, not the body. miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

553 members (2003and2013, 10Glocks, 222Sako, 163bc, 16Racing, 1badf350, 61 invisible), 2,522 guests, and 1,341 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,675
Posts18,456,145
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.