-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
How many big time job openings will there be when the season ends?
Bigger question; how many(and who) quality coaches are available?

NRA Patron Member
GB1

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
2 words. Nick Saban.

Bangflop! another skinning job due to .260 and proper shot placement.
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Saban to Ga? Never happen.
Why would he leave Alabama for Ga?
Talk about a down grade---

hatari Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Saban will retire at Bama.

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Either that or go back to the NFL ala Pete Carroll.

Rumors of Richt staying at UGA as Asst AD and Houston coach coming on.

Don't know what Asst AD pays, but doesn't sound likely to me. I'd love to see it though.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
IC B2

hatari Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Tom Herman? That will be interesting.

I don't see Richt working with the guy who replaced him, so I see him elsewhere.

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
hatari Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Maybe?

Alec Shirkey
Alec Shirkey
SECcountry staff
Latest from Alec Shirkey

Report: Houston coach Tom Herman interested in UGA job

Mark Richt and UGA have “mutually agreed” to part ways

With Mark Richt out at UGA, we already know that Alabama defensive coordinator Kirby Smart has been strongly linked to the school’s coaching vacancy. Now it looks like Bulldogs fans can add another hot young coaching name to the list of possible candidates: Houston coach Tom Herman.

Herman, who has led Houston to an 11-1 record in his first season as head coach, would be “highly interested” in bolting for UGA, according to Josh Newberg of Dawgs247.

Herman had previously been tied to the South Carolina opening, but the latest word from that potential pairing was that Herman is no longer interested.

Herman was part of Ohio State’s national championship run last season where he served as offensive coordinator under Urban Meyer. His offensive style, which incorporates several elements of the spread, is far more new-era than the pro-style, traditional scheme that Richt ran for more than a decade at UGA. Whether that would affect UGA’s next recruiting class, and particularly the commitment of 5-star quarterback Jacob Eason, would be an interesting factor to consider

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Richt is a "nice guy" and pure class as the Spiritual leader of his players and coaches. He treats everyone with dignity and respect. He pulls in top recruiting classes every year filled with 4 and 5 star athletes. The main problem is they just can't seem to win. Not sure if he would agree to fire some of his coordinators just to keep his job. I doubt that.

"With the news of Mark Richt's dismissal at Georgia spreading fast on Sunday morning, some of the nation's top prospects took to social media to share their thoughts. Most were surprised, others were saddened while some were just flat out disappointed. Either way, expect the school to move quickly in order to hang on to a class that still has potential to finish among the country's best. - See more at: https://uga.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1831598#sthash.pxZmpNDr.dpuf

"All that the South has ever desired was that the Union, as established by our forefathers, should be preserved, and that the government, as originally organized, should be administered in purity and truth." – Robert E. Lee
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
[Linked Image]

Coming on the heels of Georgia’s announcement that Mark Richt wouldn’t return as head coach in 2016, a source tells 247Sports that current Houston head coach Tom Herman would be highly interested in the opening in Athens.

The 40-year-old Herman is regarded as the hottest up-and-coming coaching candidate in college football. He spent three seasons as Ohio State’s offensive coordinator — winning a national title in his final year with a third-stringer in Cardale Jones — prior to landing the head job at Houston last offseason. While with the Buckeyes, one of Herman’s primary recruiting territories was the Atlanta metro-area, which could help him if he were to be hired by Georgia.

Herman has been linked to the opening at South Carolina, but reports say he’s withdrawn his interest. Industry sources believe he’d be content waiting at Houston for something to open at Texas or Texas A&M (Herman played college in Texas and GA’d with the Longhorns), but an offer from Georgia would be enticing for Herman to turn down.

According to the 247Sports Team Talent Composite, the Bulldogs have the seventh-best roster in college football, based on recruiting history.

In Richt’s 15th season at Georgia, the Bulldogs are 9-3 but third in the East Division, despite entering the year as the favorites to wind up in Atlanta.

UGA alum Kirby Smart and Dan Mullen will also be considered, 247Sports’ Rusty Mansell believes.

Herman has Houston at 11-1 in Year 1 and will play in the AAC title game this weekend.

"All that the South has ever desired was that the Union, as established by our forefathers, should be preserved, and that the government, as originally organized, should be administered in purity and truth." – Robert E. Lee
byc Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by hatari
Tom Herman? That will be interesting.

I don't see Richt working with the guy who replaced him, so I see him elsewhere.

NO!

Proud to be a true Sandlapper!!

Go Nats!!!!

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Who fires a coach after a 9-3 season . . . ?

Make a call to Lincoln and ask Nebraska's AD. When Solich was fired (after a 9-3 season) the AD at that time hired Bill Callahan. I call the 4 Callahan years "the dark ages". AD was fired and replaced by Tom Osborne. Osborne promptly fired Billy C and replaced him with Bo Pelini, got the ship upright the first year. When Dr Tom retired, his AD replacement was at odds with Pelini from the get go (and/or vice-versa). Bo was let go after 6 years - 9+ wins each season and replaced with Riley. They finished this season 5-7. The 3rd sub .500 season since the late 60s - all three under coaches who replaced coaches who were 9-3 the year before their replacements were hired . . .

I don't understand the AD's mentality I guess.

Someday I hope to be the person my dogs think I am . . .
The only true cost of having a dog is its death.
Someone once said "a nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves."
Shiloh Sharps . . . there is no substitute.
NRA Endowment Member
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by TBREW401

Expect Irsay to make a MAJOR push for Saban after he fired Grigson and Pagano.

Saban might do it too as he'd be offered control over football ops and has a decent QB to work with.

Saban wanted Brees in MIA - got Culpepper instead. Saban's ego also knows that there's not much left for him but to go down at Bama and the NFL part of his resume is less than stellar. He wants another shot at that.

Me

hatari Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by teal
Saban's ego also knows that there's not much left for him but to go down at Bama and the NFL part of his resume is less than stellar. He wants another shot at that.

Maybe, and at one time I thought he was egomaniacal enough to want the NC/Superbowl on his resumé. In listening to him especially over the past 5 years, I see him in a different light. He's more of a perfectionist/worry wart than an egomaniac IMHO.

I think, like Spurrier, he got a taste of the NFL and players that make so much that they are uncoachable and unbenchable, that he wants no more of it. Could be wrong, but I think Bama is his last stop.

hatari Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Otter
Who fires a coach after a 9-3 season . . . ?

Make a call to Lincoln and ask Nebraska's AD. When Solich was fired (after a 9-3 season) the AD at that time hired Bill Callahan. I call the 4 Callahan years "the dark ages". AD was fired and replaced by Tom Osborne. Osborne promptly fired Billy C and replaced him with Bo Pelini, got the ship upright the first year. When Dr Tom retired, his AD replacement was at odds with Pelini from the get go (and/or vice-versa). Bo was let go after 6 years - 9+ wins each season and replaced with Riley. They finished this season 5-7. The 3rd sub .500 season since the late 60s - all three under coaches who replaced coaches who were 9-3 the year before their replacements were hired . . .

I don't understand the AD's mentality I guess.

I've been wonder wtf has been going on in Lincoln.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
We may disagree on Auburn's woes, but you pretty much hit it on the head about Saban. Him and his wife really like what they are doing and where they are doing it.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
All the speculation on Saban is a waste of time, my bet is he only leaves when he retires.

NRA Patron Member
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
More competition in the B1G than the old Big 8. Big 12 was too much for the Huskers, too!

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

hatari Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Speculation this morning is Kirby Smart is the one targeted for UGA. that miht leave Tom Herman for SC, but reports are he has withdrawn from consideration from SC. That might set up a bidding war between UGA and SC.

If it is Kirby, that will probably not be announced until after the SEC Championship game this weekend. Makes for an interesing week in these parts.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by teal
Originally Posted by TBREW401

Expect Irsay to make a MAJOR push for Saban after he fired Grigson and Pagano.

Saban might do it too as he'd be offered control over football ops and has a decent QB to work with.

Saban wanted Brees in MIA - got Culpepper instead. Saban's ego also knows that there's not much left for him but to go down at Bama and the NFL part of his resume is less than stellar. He wants another shot at that.

First of all the man has a statue in front of the Stadium and will probably retire from that program, a guy can only coach so many seasons and he is close to his limit IMHO.

That said afterr Sabans fiasco in MIAMI there is no way an NFL team gambles on him unless all possible candidates have been hired by other teams or college programs.

R
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
R
Glad to see that VT wrapped up their issue quickly and cleanly!
Let the madness elsewhere begin!

FJB & FJT
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

631 members (1beaver_shooter, 06hunter59, 17CalFan, 12344mag, 1234, 160user, 61 invisible), 2,308 guests, and 1,231 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,619
Posts18,455,052
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.