Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by dogcatcher223
Nightforce for the win!

(sorry, couldn't resist.)

I agree, if they were four times cheaper!!

You did not "seen" anything, you "saw" it.
A "creek" has water in it, a "crick" is what you get in your neck.
Liberals with guns are nothing but hypocrites.
BP-B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by deflave
Originally Posted by twofish
Do they not make a straight duplex with turrets to spin?

It seems to me that most folks who shoot/hunt LR do so with the aid of a decent electronic rangefinder.

I don't feel the need for both the range finding reticle and the turrets to spin unless one was preparing for electronic rangefinder failure.

What am I missing in my thinking?

twofish,

Even if you do not use the reticle for wind or elevation hold offs, it is still invaluable for spotting your own shots. This is why you'll find most shooters do not like the big boomers and also why you'll find a lot of brakes and suppressors on the firing lines of any long range shoot.

When I shoot, I'm watching the steel and the surrounding area. If I see a poof of dust on the half-mil-mark to the right of the steel, guess where I need to hold for my next shot?

Easy-peasy.

Same holds for elevation. Your windage call is good, but you see it "poof" at the 1 mil mark below your crosshairs, guess how much more you need to dial?

You trackin'? Get it? Tracking? I made a scope related pun.

GFY.

Clark

That makes good sense Clark.

Thanks for the explanation.

twofish

*Master of random precision*
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Formidilosus
The reticle has nothing to do with rangefinding. It's main use, as stated, is for wind. Having both windage and elevation gives ones options.

I was mixing up the Illuminati reticle with the MQ after looking at the pics poster on pg. 1.

Thanks

*Master of random precision*
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by UNCCGrad
I'd really like to try a 6X but for the areas I hunt a variable works better. Most of our shots are 250 yards and in and lots of times within 100 yards in dark cover. I think a 6X would be too much in the woods and I'd really prefer to have more magnification for longer shots. For a hunting scope in my area the SWFA doesn't seem to do it for me.

Anyone in the east use one of them effectively?

6X is not too much power.

I want to love the 6X milquad, but the 3-9 reticle is slightly easier to see at 6X. Side by side, the 3-9 works just a bit better in the thick stuff, and at the beginning and end of legal light. I usually leave it set at 6X.Maybe it is just the samples I have, but the reticle seems darker, or maybe it focuses better in the 3-9.

I've shot several whitetail with the 3-9, and one with the fixed 6. If the reticle was a tiny bit thicker or illuminated, it would be perfect. I think the 3-9 is perfect.

Last edited by Crowkiller; 11/29/15.

TANSTAAFL
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by TXRam
Just for info, looks like pretty much all the fixed powers are sold out

Yep. I tried for a 10x Friday morning, and they were all gone.

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

IC B2

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Did you retards choose the ring height and add it to the cart before pulling the plug?

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by UNCCGrad
I'd really like to try a 6X but for the areas I hunt a variable works better. Most of our shots are 250 yards and in and lots of times within 100 yards in dark cover. I think a 6X would be too much in the woods and I'd really prefer to have more magnification for longer shots. For a hunting scope in my area the SWFA doesn't seem to do it for me.

Anyone in the east use one of them effectively?

I have a Fixed 6 MQ on my Montana.

Hunting upper midwest whitetails.

1. The turrets do not move unless you want them to. It takes moving them by hand. They'll not spin otherwise.

2. 6x is fine close and far. I was a dyed in the wool 3-9 kinda guy. LOVE the fixed 6 now.

It's under 100 to the dark swampline. Deer walk the edge and a trail about 1/2 way between camera and the edge. No issues acquiring a firing solution so to speak on either.

[Linked Image]

Bout 50 to the edge here - deer trail along a creek. That's an old logging road in front. Trail goes right to left along a creek to high ground in a swamp.

[Linked Image]

220 to the dark hole left of the center line of trees. Deer typically present right at the edge at 220 or at about 165 yards on the left 1/2 of the pic. No issues at dusk determining antlers or shoulders to fire on.

[Linked Image]

No issues at all with the fixed 6 and critters in any of them.
Yesterday I was holding on a fork horn at 12 yards with it in the same place as the top picture.

Glass wise - I can sight well enough, late enough that a shot would probably elicit a raised eyebrow from more than one person - given the ambient light.

Can't say enough about the 1 I own and it's made a believer out of those I've let sight/use it. The tracking on it is spot on.

Me

I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
Originally Posted by tex_n_cal
Originally Posted by TXRam
Just for info, looks like pretty much all the fixed powers are sold out

Yep. I tried for a 10x Friday morning, and they were all gone.

What Deflave said! I ordered a 10X MQ yesterday morning. It took a minute to navigate to the point where I could choose a ring set and properly check out.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by deflave
Did you retards choose the ring height and add it to the cart before pulling the plug?

Travis

Bah too much turkey the day before. I was hung over smirk

but not good instructions on their site, either. You have to click the little blue "More Details" link, under the big orange "Add to Cart" button, before it will let you select the ring height, which then allows you to "Add to Cart"

Hit Add to Cart too soon, it just tells you the scope is not available.

So I now have a 10x42 on order, thanks Travis smile

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Okay, so what height rings for a 6x going on a bolt action?

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Weaver style 2 piece or rail? Rail could go with low and still clear the bolt handle. 2 piece weaver may be too low.

Searching other sites might get you the answer. Most just go mediums. I run Seekins lows on a 20 MOA base and my 700 bolt clears the ocular.

Talking to you is like trying to nail jello to the wall.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Two-piece warne/weaver base.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I went low - with a Remington 700 short action I will go with a full rail, and it should clear at that point.

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
194 members (257 mag, 10Glocks, 300_savage, 2UP, 300jimmy, 01Foreman400, 17 invisible), 1,553 guests, and 856 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,592
Posts18,397,911
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.