Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by teal
I have a feeling I'm in the minority but I think the show sucked arse.

Watched it once, wouldn't watch it again.

You are right...

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
GB1

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
I liked it. Liked the book more perhaps but the series didn't disappoint. When I heard they were going to make the series I was prepared for a big letdown, but not so.

It's just a story. Don't know why you haters hate. smile

"Be sure you're right. Then go ahead." Fess Parker as Davy Crockett
M
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
M
Saw an interview write up of Robert Duvall recently where he said the Gus character was his all time favorite of any role he ever played.

Did you notice that the author said Duvall's favorite character will "surprise you", then told us it was Gus in "Lonesome Dove"? I was thinking that I would have been surprised if it had been any other character. What a great movie.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
CHLINSTRUCTOR - " ... It's been a LONG time since I read that book by J. Frank Dobie on the old time cattleman and trail drivers."

CHLINSTRUCTOR, is that book to which you refer "The Longhorns," by J. Frank Dobie, © 1912?

If so, it is a very interesting read. I have an original first edition.

L.W.

"Always go straight forward, and if you meet the devil, cut him in two and go between the pieces." (William Sturgis, clipper ship captain, 1830s.)
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Leanwolf
CHLINSTRUCTOR - " ... It's been a LONG time since I read that book by J. Frank Dobie on the old time cattleman and trail drivers."

CHLINSTRUCTOR, is that book to which you refer "The Longhorns," by J. Frank Dobie, © 1912?

L.W.

I've got a copy too. I've also got Out of the Old Rock by Dobie and On the Open Range. On the Open Range is one of my favorite books of all time. I've read many of the stories to my kids when they were small. It's just about had it. It's got a bunch of signatures of kids my Mom went to school with in Texas. I don't know if it was once a school book that Mom somehow cobbed onto or what but it was given to me by my Grandma and I think it was out of the Austin Schoolbook Depository. I wish it wasn't coming apart, but I'm glad to have read so many of the stories so much. Dobie was a great writer, compiler and folklorist.

From where I sit, I can see my copies of Dead Man's Walk, Comanche Moon and Streets of Laredo, all by McMurtry and all sequentially in the Lonesome Dove series, with LD between CM and Streets chronologically. I must not have a hardcover copy of Lonesome Dove. McMurtry is a talented writer, but sometimes just goes off on tangents. My criticism of Lonesome Dove would be how it lags badly in mid-story...about the time they get to Nebraska and it starts being about Clara, Gus' ONE TRUE LOVE. IMO, McMurtry's Last Picture Show series is better than his LD series. So much of McMurtry's stuff is woven together that it's difficult to tell one series from another. I haven't read any of his latest books because I feel he went off the deep end. Texasville IMO, is his greatest work, though it is not without its flaws and distastefulness in parts. The Last Picture Show is more poetic, and perhaps more evocative of the 50's, which was before my time. I can't think of a better book about the 80's in rural America than Texasville though. You could pick it up and put it down in Kansas and it would still ring true. Oklahoma too. Probably about any place in the oil patch.

The mini series is pretty good, but they should have shortened it considerably.

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

L.W.

I'm highly interested in what an expert such as yourself, thinks is the best example of McMurtry's work translated onto film-either the big screen or small. Hud? The Last Picture Show? Lonesome Dove? All were critically acclaimed. Maybe Terms of Endearment? I've never seen the latter so...

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by curdog4570
Woodrow Call, Tommy Lee Jone's character, was reasonably close to Goodnight as far as size and mannerisms.

Augustus McCrae, Robert Duvall's character, was nothing like Oliver Loving, but was true to Mc Murtry's characterization of him in the book.
I've read that too. It's interesting that Goodnight himself appears as a character in several other books of McMurtry's, such as Comanche Moon and Streets of Laredo. I wonder if Val Kilmer's character in Comanche Moon was based on Stephen Ambrose.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by teal
I have a feeling I'm in the minority but I think the show sucked arse.

Watched it once, wouldn't watch it again.
What did you not like about it? Do you dislike westerns overall or just didn't like that particular one? Most folks do like it.

Personally, I liked it a lot when I first watched it, but I grew up loving westerns only to have the spigot literally just turned off back in the seventies. Westerns were so sparse that IMO ones that were pretty pedestrian overall got elevated to mythic status just by appearing when there weren't any others. Dances with Wolves comes immediately to mind. I love accuracy in westerns and to me having some period stuff in one as opposed to using 1892 Winchesters and SAA's in 1836, really raises one up. OTOH, I think that some older oaters that were just considered "good" as opposed to newer ones that were considered "excellent" really had better storylines.

1967's Hombre with Paul Newman is a helluva western, as is One Eyed Jacks and The Appaloosa, both with Marlon Brando.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

L.W.

Yes that's the one. I'll have to dig up my first edition an re-read it. It's been at least 10 years since I last read it for probably the 10th time. Thus the error I made on who Gus & Captain Call's characters were based upon. J Frank Dobie is one of my favorite authors.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by 6mm250
The Woodrow Call & Augustus McCrae characters were loosely based on the real life Charles Goodnight & Oliver Loving.

Deets was based on the real life Bose Ikard , a slave turned cowboy.

When Ikard died, Goodnight wrote the epitaph quoted in "Lonesome Dove."

It says: "Served with me four years on the Goodnight-Loving Trail, never shirked a duty or disobeyed an order, rode with me in many stampedes, participated in three engagements with Comanches. Splendid behavior."

http://articles.latimes.com/1999/jun/27/local/me-50709

Mike

Did not know the history on Josh Deets...thanks for sharing.

Doc

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
[Linked Image]

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Another good Dobie read is "A Vaquero of the Brush Country". Story of Thomas Young. Actually it was mostly written by Young and Dobie put it all together.

In this book you find out who McMurtry based Clara from Lonesome Dove on. Actual woman who raised horses some where out around Uvalde I believe.

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
I watched it again this weekend, most of it. I don't like gus ending up the way he did.
I also know one thing, sooner or later i am going to get a hat like woodrow used.
I think my favorite part is where woodrow beats the crud out of that guy for quirking his son. And that line about not accepting rude behavior.

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO
K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Ron,

Go to the local western wear store and look for a Resistol "Showdown".
4 1/2" brim, I wanna say 6" crown, and I believe they offer them in black.

I have one in Stone with a kettle curl and Montana Peak crease. It's my stepping out hat.

Founder

WS

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by kaywoodie
Ron,

Go to the local western wear store and look for a Resistol "Showdown".
4 1/2" brim, I wanna say 6" crown, and I believe they offer them in black.

I have one in Stone with a kettle curl and Montana Peak crease. It's my stepping out hat.
Or you can have one custom steamed, like I did. Just say you want a Gus and they'll know.

If I was a CAS, I'd get one like Kilmer wore in Tombstone though.

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
But he wanted one like Woodrow! laugh

Founder

WS

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Crap! The Gus is so popular...
Dang!

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
I have a Gus hat in whiskey color. Made by Jaxonbilt Hats in Salmon, Idaho. Roy Jackson is the hat maker and will build to suit. If it isn't too cold or windy it is my usual hunting lid.

mike r

Don't wish it were easier
Wish you were better

Stab them in the taint, you can't put a tourniquet on that.
Craig Douglas ECQC
K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Originally Posted by EthanEdwards
Crap! The Gus is so popular...
Dang!

LOL! I know!!! Tis' isn't it???

Founder

WS

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I, For one really liked the movie.

There were some slow parts, but many GREAT parts.
Have a copy that I replay often.

Always admired the "Gus" hat and ended up getting one in a Stetson 6X in "silverbelly" very similar to the one Gus wore in the film.
Also had an old black Resistol (that I've had for over 30 years)restyled in this style.

They go good with my Carhart vest, And the girls really like them!(grin!)

Virgil B.

Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

508 members (17CalFan, 10gaugeman, 204guy, 007FJ, 06hunter59, 1eyedmule, 47 invisible), 2,633 guests, and 1,255 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,598
Posts18,454,390
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.