Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
R
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
Has anyone built a bullet trap in their garage for load development in high powered rifles? Need to set up something so I can do load development in the garage with a chrony before range testing. Anyone done this?

TIA,

Jordan

Last edited by RobJordan; 11/29/15.

Communists: I still hate them even after they changed their name to "liberals".

My boss asked why I wasn't working. I told him I was being a democrat for Halloween.
GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
I think Donald Trump made one

Sam......

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I bet Bristoe has

have you paid your dues, can you moan the blues, can you bend them guitar strings
R
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by Mannlicher
I think Donald Trump made one

I heard Fiorina made a better one though! wink

My boss asked why I wasn't working. I told him I was being a democrat for Halloween.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
not sure the neighbors will like the racket.

Dave

�The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely to be the one who dropped it.� Lou Holtz

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
What happened to the generator ?

GTC

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

R
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by crossfireoops
What happened to the generator ?

GTC

Waiting on parts....

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Long ago and far away I've setup for .22 rimfire with an additional clearing barrel setup for testfire and casehead expansion measurements.

I've lived places that barred discharging a firearm inside city limits, from or across a roadway, in or near houses and all the rest but people ignored the rules for serious Camp Perry level competitors with thousands of dollars in their rifles and setup.

Today I would bet a lot of money that anyplace too crowded to shoot in the backyard is going to ban discharging a firearm within city limits and close to a dwelling. All the more so in California. I'd also bet that dealing with the lead hazard in a built in installation is too expensive and complicated to be even worth researching. All the more so in California - lead hazard to include primers. In particular I'd worry enough about the lead hazard and legal repercussions that I wouldn't do it.

That said I'd expect something like a TSS clearing barrel at a thousand dollars +/-would work with a Magnetoscope I'd want a bigger setup at maybe $3000 trailer mounted bearing in mind the parallax issues and the chances of a shot going astray given that the muzzle couldn't be inside the muzzle wipe setup. I sort of like to use a laser aligned with the bore to aim through screens and avoid parallax errors as much as possible.

I still wouldn't do it in California unless I could do it in the backyard.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
RobJordan;
Good evening to you sir, hopefully this finds you and yours doing acceptably well.

So with the understanding that I'm going to be intentionally vague with much of this tale of woe - I had the misfortune of being present when a .300 Magnum was discharged - an AD - inside a garage with the roll up door open.

Memorable is about the best word I can describe the entire experience as sir, and not in a good way in any sense.

It did knock dust off the shelves that had been there for decades so there was that I suppose.

Anyway based upon that one, lone example, I can't begin to envision the baffle system one would need to contain "that sort" of concussive mayhem efficiently enough.

Good luck with your project whichever way you decide and all the best to you folks in the upcoming Christmas season.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
When I was growing up my parents has a basement under their garage, the ceiling was poured concrete with cinder block walls. There was a regular sized doorway into the area and the ceiling was maybe 7 ft. Regular full sized two car garage size.

I wanted to do some case forming for a 35 Whelen AI and figured I didn't need to waste any time going to range when it was freezing ass cold as I had no intent on testing the accuracy of the fire forming loads.

I made a bullet catch box out of wood that was jammed full of dry newspaper, about three feet long as I recall. It stopped the bullet perfectly. I cannot say how well it would have stopped any bullets after that.

It was quite impressive even with plugs and ear muffs. I though I might bleed from the eyes for some time, but that passed.

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." TJ

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing". EB

IC B3

R
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
Dwayne and Clark thank you for your perspective. Yes, discharge is prohibited in my area. However, we're on 5 acres and I figured the odds of anyone finding out are slim to none. On the other hand, if a bullet did get away from the trap, it would be a highly undesirable outcome! wink

A heavy walled 10" pipe with several feet of sand in the end would prolly work just fine, but I need something I can shoot horizontal for enough distance to chrony a load. That makes it difficult because how to you keep the bullet trap medium (sand for example) in a vertical plane so it remains thick enough to trap a bullet. I suppose a guy could stack sand bags. crazy

Thanks,

Jordan

R
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by kciH
When I was growing up my parents has a basement under their garage, the ceiling was poured concrete with cinder block walls. There was a regular sized doorway into the area and the ceiling was maybe 7 ft. Regular full sized two car garage size.

I wanted to do some case forming for a 35 Whelen AI and figured I didn't need to waste any time going to range when it was freezing ass cold as I had no intent on testing the accuracy of the fire forming loads.

I made a bullet catch box out of wood that was jammed full of dry newspaper, about three feet long as I recall. It stopped the bullet perfectly. I cannot say how well it would have stopped any bullets after that.

It was quite impressive even with plugs and ear muffs. I though I might bleed from the eyes for some time, but that passed.

Thanks for the tip sir!

R
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
R
A magneto speed chrony does not have to be horizontal to work properly .
Just sayin

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
pard has a bullet trap in his garage, but don't think he uses it for very big centerfire rifles.

I'll ask him.

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
just called him, I was wrong, he shoots whatever he wants at it.

It's 30 inch steel pipe that's 1/2 inch thick. he then bought a piece of armored steel and had the steel place bend it to fit the curvature of the pipe. he used a hydraulic jack to press it into place.

he says it's the hyper velocity rounds that will mark the steel. .223 and .22-250 being some of the worst culprits, says it does more damage than a .375 or .45/70 rds. he's shot into it.

so when he's shooting the hyper velocity rounds he puts a 6 " piece of glue lam beam in front of the armored steel to slow those bullets down and save his armored steel plate for future use. He says they make better armored steel than what he could get here locally, so being in Cali, I like your odds of getting a better grade of armored steel for your trap Rob.

the pipe is cut with a slant on both end like this / / and the top is at a steep angle of course for the armored steel and target.

and sand in the bottom so he can reclaim his bullets, particularly the lead ones as he casts bullets himself

when I was workin on my GMC in his garage recently he broke out his fully auto bb gun and hung a target in the trap and fired off a few hundred rounds. He's got a paintball adapter on the bullpup stock so he can run a big canister of CO2.

he's the biggest overgrown kid I've ever met and he's a hoot.

hope this helps Rob, good luck

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Be aware that the discharge of even something as light as a 22 LR inside a closed building can create enough positive pressure to snuff things like pilot lights......I discovered. whistle I can't imagine what happens to the ambient pressure when you touch off even bigger stuff (and, yes, the neighbors might easily become aware.) But further, I would do a bit of research on how a chronograph might react under the extra "duress" which a confined area will involve. I suspect many chronographs might give irregular readings.

But I do know it is possible to shoot things like the 375 in the basement (but the bullets tend to be hard on the concrete block walls if your bullet stops are inadequate). whistle .....that's all I'm going to say about that!

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Did something similar once quite a number of years ago when the only accessible range was shut down. Used a 55 gallon drum with baffles/fiberglass insulation as a (not effective enough) muzzle blast reduction device. The garage was double normal length (about 55 feet long), had decently high concrete stem walls and a sump hole at one end. Filled the sump with sand and set up a 45 degree lid over it - lid was supported by sides made from the same heavy steel used for the baffle (quite a bit of work with a cutting torch). Had to use a floor jack to set it up in place. It worked OK for the temporary purpose but, even though I was very careful with the setup, firing into it always made me a bit nervous.

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron
T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
A: it's going to be really loud, no ifs ands or buts. I shoot indoors about 3 times a week for test fire and double ear protection is a really good idea.
B: make sure before you invest a bunch of time and money in this that your chrono will read without natural light. Mine won't, I tried when it was about -20f outside.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Klikitarik

But I do know it is possible to shoot things like the 375 in the basement (but the bullets tend to be hard on the concrete block walls if your bullet stops are inadequate).

I'm embarrassed to say that I had an AD with my garand in the basement years ago. It was an empty 65 foot long unfinished concrete block room.My buddy and I looked for years to find the 180SMK with no luck at all. crazy If I'm lyin' I'm dyin'.

My dad had a conventional heavy steel bullet trap in our basement that he regularly shot heavy centerfire loads into wearing plugs with muffs without any problems.

Need plenty of good ventilation though as it gets pretty bad after just a few shots.

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
A bullet trap called "The Snail" (IIRC) came to mind.
I don't even know if it's still made. Seems you could do a water shower across the front to further minimize lead dust beyond the design.

Last edited by mark shubert; 11/29/15.

I've always been a curmudgeon - now I'm an old curmudgeon.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

560 members (02bfishn, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 160user, 10ring1, 16penny, 59 invisible), 2,381 guests, and 1,171 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,222
Posts18,466,471
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.