Print Thread
Hop To
#10737388 11/29/15
N
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
N
Thinking of buying a rifle chambered in .375 H&H, particularly a model 70 Winchester. My question is: do I want the Alaskan or the Safari Express? I understand the differences, but I am interested in first hand experience people may have with either. Also, if anyone has any other rifles in this chamfering under the $2k mark I should be looking at please let me know...I'd like sto stick with a Mauser style bolt gun.
Thanks for replies
Northerner

GB1

E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
Have you looked at a CZ 550 in .375 H&H?

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
The Whitworths are damn nice as well...Not that I'd steer anyone away from a good model 70.. I've looked at a few FN safari express models and they did not look very appealing to me: Fit and finish and wood sucked. My first choice would be a pre 64, second choice would be a Whitworth.. Good luck with your search..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
V
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V
If you do not mind a synthetic stock I highly suggest a Kimber Talkeetna, they can be had for slightly less than $2000.00.

I have one and I also have a Win 70 classic stainless and the Kimber is a much smoother rifle and handles like a dream.

If wood is important the the Whitworths are worth a look if you can find one, and a CZ would also make a great rifle.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Safari Express: 24 inch barrel fairly heavy barrel and somewhat heavy for a .375 though I like mine a lot.

Alaskan: 25 inch barrel, lighter then the Safari Express and generally slimmer overall.

When I bought my SE if I had seen both side by side I might have chosen the Alaskan but I'm happy with the rifle I have. Either way both are nice looking, accurate, reliable rifles.

Diplomacy is the art of saying "Nice doggie" until you can find a rock.
Will Rogers
IC B2

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
The trigger guard on my f-i-l's Model 70 banged the trigger finger a LOT! A CZ550 won't. Otherwise, choose based on which stock fits you. Larger calibers change the game some and that cheek weld thing (keeping head on stock ) throughout recoil while looking directly through the scope really matters most.

2 cents

N
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
N
Originally Posted by elkhunternm
Have you looked at a CZ 550 in .375 H&H?

I have not, but I'll give 'em a look. thanks.

N
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
N
Originally Posted by agazain
The trigger guard on my f-i-l's Model 70 banged the trigger finger a LOT! A CZ550 won't. Otherwise, choose based on which stock fits you. Larger calibers change the game some and that cheek weld thing (keeping head on stock ) throughout recoil while looking directly through the scope really matters most.

2 cents

This was one of the concerns with the Alaskan, the full Monte Carlo vs. the raised cheekpiece of the SE. My concern is that having the full Monte Carlo will mess with the line of sight through the scope? Am I incorrect in thinking this? I suppose the only way to know for sure is to look at them both and see for myself...

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Northerner - check out the "Express Rifle & Big Bore" forum here concerning the .375H&H. Chances are you'll find answers to your questions re: CZ550, WinM70SE, stock fit etc. Homesteader

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Another vote for the 70 Safari Express. CZs are VERY nice as well, although I wish they would cut barrel length. But whatever you do, stay away from a 700...

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
IC B3

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by Northerner
Originally Posted by agazain

2 cents

This was one of the concerns with the Alaskan, the full Monte Carlo vs. the raised cheekpiece of the SE. My concern is that having the full Monte Carlo will mess with the line of sight through the scope? Am I incorrect in thinking this? I suppose the only way to know for sure is to look at them both and see for myself...

The comb on the Monte Carlo is the same height as the straight combed Safari Express. The butt pad is lower instead. That's one of the reasons I think I might have liked the Alaskan better.

Take a look at where the heel of the butt pad often is when people shoot straight stocked rifles. Frequently the heel is sticking up in the air above the shoulder an inch or so, that's what the Monte Carlo is designed prevent. I tend to like the Monte Carlo style for this reason.

Last edited by Cougarz; 11/30/15.

Diplomacy is the art of saying "Nice doggie" until you can find a rock.
Will Rogers

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

116 members (10gaugemag, 358WCF, 450yukon, 19rabbit52, 30Gibbs, 18 invisible), 1,943 guests, and 884 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,279
Posts18,467,652
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.