Hop To
#10730806 11/26/15
N
N2TRKYS Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
N
Does it matter what brand primer I use in my hunting loads? For instance, can I just buy CCI primers or do I have to have different primers for each caliber? Thanks.

GB1

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Your rifle will tell you what it likes during load development. I generally have better luck with CCI primers.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
While the primer can have some effect on the accuracy, for hunting loads in typical hunting rifles, it's way down the list. I'd buy a brand that I could get locally in good supply and not worry about it. I tend to use CCI and Winchester for the bulk of my loading. I wouldn't feel handicapped if I could only use CCI.

Regards,

Tom
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
I have had best luck with CCI or Federal.
I will never use Remington or Winchester again as both have had issues for me.
John

When truth is ignored, it does not change an untruth from remaining a lie.
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Not sure what to think. I quit using CCI primers many years ago because of a lot of misfires. With one box of ammo, I never knew if the gun wold go bang or click. Switched to Winchesters and no problems until just recently. Doing load work ups for a .280 Rem. and two 7x57 Mausers, I had seven misfires from the various rifles. Some would go bang on a second try and others did not. These are not the brass colored primers but some from a lot that are nickel plated. They've been stored under good temperature controlled conditions like inside a closet in the house. Gonna really torque my jaws if I'm sighted on an elk next month and the damn gun goes, "click". instead of bang. mad
Paul B.

Our forefathers did not politely protest the British.They did not vote them out of office, nor did they impeach the king,march on the capitol or ask permission for their rights. ----------------They just shot them.
MOLON LABE
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
While working up a load a few months ago I had fifteen out of fifteen CCI250 hangfires. They would go click bang about as quickly as it takes to read the two words out loud. The load was lots of US869 behind a 6.5mm 140 grain AccuBond. The temp was about 40 degrees. I switched to Federal 215 and have not had a single hang fire since.

I will still use the CCI250 in my smaller 6.5.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Primers matter. I have some load that will only shoot group with a specific primer. In other instances the point of impact cam move a full foot with a primer change.

Sometimes you can change primers and still shoot in the same hole, but the only way to know is put the new load on paper.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Does it matter what brand primer I use in my hunting loads?

Yes!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The current lot of WW WLR & WLRM primers I have that were not plated by WW are undersize on their diameter!

These undersize primers fit loose in good new primer pockets!

They are not so loose as to fall out so far.

Link "undersize WLR pimers."

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by N2TRKYS
Does it matter what brand primer I use in my hunting loads? For instance, can I just buy CCI primers or do I have to have different primers for each caliber? Thanks.

Just use CCI's. Trust me, you'll be just fine.. wink

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by PJGunner
Not sure what to think. I quit using CCI primers many years ago because of a lot of misfires. With one box of ammo, I never knew if the gun wold go bang or click. Switched to Winchesters and no problems until just recently. Doing load work ups for a .280 Rem. and two 7x57 Mausers, I had seven misfires from the various rifles. Some would go bang on a second try and others did not. These are not the brass colored primers but some from a lot that are nickel plated. They've been stored under good temperature controlled conditions like inside a closet in the house. Gonna really torque my jaws if I'm sighted on an elk next month and the damn gun goes, "click". instead of bang. mad
Paul B.

Why would you hunt with those loads?

Screw you! I'm voting for Trump again!

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the 24HCF.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper
Primers matter. I have some load that will only shoot group with a specific primer. In other instances the point of impact cam move a full foot with a primer change.

Sometimes you can change primers and still shoot in the same hole, but the only way to know is put the new load on paper.

A.S
Will not disagree to some extent on the above. Personally have not seen a foot diffrence, but have seen a 2-3" diffrence in POI with a primer change in certain calibers. Seems like the the smaller the caliber the change is less significant.
Slower powders seem to be more tempermental to primer change than the faster powders. IME.
I have alot of small caliber loads that will give great performance and accuracy independent of primer change, where the opposite is true of the larger hunting calibers.
Guess it all depends on what the goal is.
Example is a couple of 25.06's I have give best groups and velocity with heavy bullets, slow powders and only Federal or Winchester primers.
My varmint calibers will not vary much in group size with primer change but do seem to be more susceptible to powder change.

Swifty

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

72 members (35, 10Glocks, 14idaho, 6mmbrfan, 280shooter, 2500HD, 6 invisible), 1,560 guests, and 699 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,520
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.