Print Thread
Hop To
D
devnull Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
I currently have a pair of Zeiss 10x40 Victory T FL binos that I use for deer hunting. They are really large and cumbersome to use in a stand and I find that I wish they were a little brighter in low light as well as a little smaller.

I'm looking for a pair of small binos to use for deer hunting in the 8x32 range. I'd like for them to be really clear and serve as my optic of choice for scanning fields at last light. What do you recommend as the best binos for low light?

I'm open to Swaros but if there is a similar option for less $$$, I'd like to hear about them as well.

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Try the Cabelas Euro HD 8x32s

Last edited by 338rcm; 11/30/15.
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Small objective binoculars and low light don't really go together. I doubt you're going to find a 32mm objective set that'll beat your 10x42 zeiss in low light.

W
WRO Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
I like my 8x32 ELS in low light.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
devnull,

I currently have a pair of Zeiss 10x40 Victory T FL binos that I use for deer hunting. They are really large and cumbersome to use in a stand and I find that I wish they were a little brighter in low light as well as a little smaller.

If we were good friends I would ask you if you've been smoking dope. But since we are only .com friends I will suggest there is NO 32mm optic better in low light than a normally healthy Zeiss 10X40 Victory T FL!

But I will do you a favor: I have a new Nikon Monarch 7 8X32 that has been on two hunts I will trade straight across if you want a smaller glass. smile

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
IC B2

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by Crow hunter
Small objective binoculars and low light don't really go together. I doubt you're going to find a 32mm objective set that'll beat your 10x42 zeiss in low light.

Exactly.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
My wife has a pair of Zeiss 8x32 which seem to be good glass and smaller than the Swarvoski 8x32's. But the Zeiss were chosen for the easy of carry while hiking. Lecia's 8x32's are smaller yet.
To me the smaller bino's are harder to hold steady and the 32mm's give up a bit of performance to the larger objectives. I went with Leica 7x42 for my carry bino, because of its smalller dimensions. But, I soon realized when in extreme low light / more or less dark; I needed more power and more objective for detail. I purchased the Zeiss 10x54 HT's to see detail. The 10x54's stay in the pack until I reach my destination. To me there is no getting away from the larger size bino.
All eyes vary and mine are closing in on the 60 year old mark; and as they say I do not see what I use too.
For a smaller dimension full size bino, I would look at the Leica 8x42 Ultravid Plus. I "think" (from comparing what is listed on the websites) they are the same size as my 7x42 Ultravid. And that is the smallest full size bino that I am aware of, dimension wise not necessarily weight wise.

----------------------------------------------------------------
Originally Posted by devnull

I'm looking for a pair of small binos to use for deer hunting in the 8x32 range. I'd like for them to be really clear and serve as my optic of choice for scanning fields at last light. What do you recommend as the best binos for low light?

I'm open to Swaros but if there is a similar option for less $$$, I'd like to hear about them as well.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Well you give up "brighter" in low light with a 32mm, but they are easier to carry. I have every size of alpha glass and the 8x32 HD from Leica seems to be the best trade off for me. hunting hours are dawn to dusk here, so super light gathering is really not a big concern. I still think they are adequate in lower light, and I was happy with them yesterday in the morning. I also have 15-56 Swarovskis, and I would never ever think of taking them in the woods to hunt in this terrain. The trade off on those don't fit the hunting here.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Crow Hunter nailed it, so I won't repeat what he's said, but I will reinforce it with my experience. Once upon a time, I owned a set of Zeiss Victory Compact 10x25mm or perhaps they were the 8x20mm, but either way they were sharp as a razor during the daylight hours, but during those twilight hours when it mattered most, a set of old $199 Nikon Action 7-12x35mm binos would out perform them every time due to the larger exit pupil.

In all seriousness if you wish to go smaller I have a set of mint Swarovski 8x30 SLC WB binos that I'd be more than happy to trade for your Zeiss; depending upon their condition.

24HCF in its entirety, is solely responsible for why my children do not have college funds, my mortgage isn't paid-off and why I will never retire early enough to enjoy the remainder of my life.

D
devnull Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
I'm not interested in trading my Zeiss binos as I use them in the p-dog field.

IC B3

G
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
G
I love my Nikon 8x32SE's, very light easy to carry and as bright as my Ultravid 8x42. I also have a pair of 10x42 SE's good optics but too large and heavy to carry. You can usually find the SE's between $500.00-$600.00 on Amazon.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I borrowed some cheap Sightron SII 7x50 binocs in October, and they were like night vision before hunting hours.

A couple times we shot animals right on the minute when it was legal to shoot. The dead animals are still really hard to find then:(

I bought myself a pair.

50 mm objective / 7 power = 7.14 exit pupil

[Linked Image]

Just made it.

http://www.adorama.com/SIIWP750.htm...iO4mb5dE0GvZJ9oPuBLrHwLhBtAcUaAgJn8P8HAQ

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by devnull

Let me know if you find that Unicorn and I'll buy the other pair if she has a sister-

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've got a pair of Vortex Viper 6x32's that see a ton of use in the woods.

“There are some who can live without wild things and some who cannot.”
ALDO LEOPOLD
H
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
H
Similarly, and don't laugh, but the 6x30 Leupold Yosemite I've used this season, go well into the gloom at first/last light. Less Xs might be your answer for smaller binos working well in low light.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Swarovski SLC 8x30 are amazing in low light

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
If you guys are considering 8x32's small, throw my Leupold BX3 Mojaves in the mix. They are damn good for the money. Last weekend I spotted some feeding elk inside the trees next to the edge of a big clear cut. They were ranged at 553 yards, but I could make them out very clearly even in the darkness of the shadows where they were feeding...

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

646 members (1234, 12344mag, 007FJ, 10ring1, 160user, 10gaugemag, 59 invisible), 2,863 guests, and 1,290 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,574
Posts18,453,952
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.