-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

John, do you like the 28" tubes on such a slender shotgun? My AyA is the same and while I have no complaints as to function at all, at times I wonder if it would look better "balanced" with 26" tubes. Purely aesthetics.

Dirt farmer, I've never had a Merkel but am quite sure I'd really like it. 😀

GB1

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by George_De_Vries_3rd
Dirt farmer, I've never had a Merkel but am quite sure I'd really like it. 😀

You would, for sure.

This one has 27" tubes and a solid rib, balances really well.

DF

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
Originally Posted by Mule Deer

Have owned and hunted with several 28's, but the only one that stuck (and the shotgun I use for most early-season upland hunting) is my 5 pound 2 ounce Fausti side-by-side. It can be carried easily all day even by [/b]old farts like me[b]and kills stuff fine.

I was trying to not be so descriptive as to why I like light shotguns. 😉

laugh

Well, it is what it is... smile

I like this one, a Merkel that handles great. Light, but not too light, just right.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Mine is close to this but with case hardening instead of the brushed silver finish.

http://www.newenglandcustomgun.com/uploads/myphotos/AYA425SpecialEdition.jpg

D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by deflave
Is there any real issue knocking things down with the 28? I'm speaking strictly upland and dove. Sharps and pheasant mostly.

I kinda find it hard to believe there is any reason to go 28 vs the 20 gauge. But a Benelli Ultra Light is kinda tempting.

Travis

Travis, I love 28s. Really light recoil in light guns and just fun to shoot with little if any discernible difference from a 20 in knock down. I also like Benellis and am really tempted to buy one in 28.

I suggest you absolutely buy the Benelli and then let me know how you like it!

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
George,

I've owned a bunch of 28's, and I don't care about how balanced they look. Instead I care about how balanced they feel.

But the Fausti looks pretty good. You might ask luv2safari about it.....

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
George,

I've owned a bunch of 28's, and I don't care about how balanced they look. Instead I care about how balanced they feel.

But the Fausti looks pretty good. You might ask luv2safari about it.....

I may be PO'd (proportionality obsessed).

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by wisturkeyhunter
I don't see the point,at least not in a modern auto when 20's handle and carry so well.

A Benelli ultralight 20 is already to light for me.

I don't think I could ever consider an upland gun "too light" but I am also thinking the 28 doesn't bring enough to the table to justify bothering with a 28.

But if I'm wrong in this thinking I may try a 28.

Travis

I think it depends on shooting style but I'd rather carry a 6 pound 20 gauge than the ultralight in Montana. A little extra weight for more shootablilty is worth it form me.

My dad is small with shoulder issues and weight can be an issue for him. He always said his 20 gauge ultralight was his last shotgun. He bought a 20 gauge super sport for clays and now it's all he shoots for prairie birds. He shoots it significantly better in the open out your way.

If your strictly a snap shooter the light gun might be better.

deflave Offline OP
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
Travis,

I've used the 28 quite a bit over the last 15 years or so, and it works fine for 90% of bird hunting. Have never had any problem killing sharptails and wild roosters out to 40 yards with the right choke and load, and have killed big sage grouse out to 47.

Yes, the 20 will do anything the 28 will ballistically, but the problem with most American 20's is they're too big and clunky, because they're chambered for 3" magnums. As a result they're not much different than 12's used to be before the 3" 20-gauge became the In Thing, usually weighing around 7 pounds.

Have owned and hunted with several 28's, but the only one that stuck (and the shotgun I use for most early-season upland hunting) is my 5 pound 2 ounce Fausti side-by-side. It can be carried easily all day even by old farts like me, and kills stuff fine.

I did an article on why the 28 works so well a few years ago for HANDLOADER, which looked at all the myths and misconceptions. Factory loads will do it all, but handloading is easy and makes the 28 even more versatile.

Do you see ammo for it a lot? Big R always has a bunch but I'm not sure if that would be the case everywhere.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
deflave Offline OP
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by DesertMuleDeer
I suggest you absolutely buy the Benelli and then let me know how you like it!

Why does everybody suggest this? grin

Travis

My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
deflave Offline OP
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by wisturkeyhunter

I think it depends on shooting style but I'd rather carry a 6 pound 20 gauge than the ultralight in Montana. A little extra weight for more shootablilty is worth it form me.

My dad is small with shoulder issues and weight can be an issue for him. He always said his 20 gauge ultralight was his last shotgun. He bought a 20 gauge super sport for clays and now it's all he shoots for prairie birds. He shoots it significantly better in the open out your way.

If your strictly a snap shooter the light gun might be better.

I like as light and as little recoil as possible. I never shoot clays with my shotgun. Maybe once in a great while I'll drink beer and do it at a friends house but even then I hate it. It bores me to tears.

I can't find anything wrong with my M2 though. It's gotta be under 6lbs and never comes off target at all.

I was going to buy another one for my wife, but then got to thinking she will need to shoot some clays. And I'd like as little recoil as possible for her without having to handicap her with a .410.

Travis

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Get the 28 and buy a case of Fiocchi, Golden Pheasants 7/8 oz of 6's and call it "good." There is an old medical phrase that goes, "'better' is the enemy of good."

You'll thank me later. Or not.

Last edited by George_De_Vries_3rd; 11/30/15.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The 28 with the least felt recoil might be the Remington 1100 Sporting Clays model. At 6lbs 15 oz mine's only 4oz lighter than my 1100 "Lt 20", probably too heavy for a true 28 but IMO it balances well and is an easy shooter. My wife and daughter shoot sporting clays with it and have no problem shooting 100 rounds in an afternoon. They both say it has noticeably less felt recoil than the LT 20.

Last edited by 43Shooter; 11/30/15.
deflave Offline OP
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
Get the 28 and buy a case of Fiocchi, Golden Pheasants 7/8 oz of 6's and call it "good." There is an old medical phrase that goes, "'better' is the enemy of good."

6's?

NEVAH.

Dave

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

6's?

NEVAH.

Dave

Lead a guy to the water but...there's 5's; there's 7 1/2s too.

deflave Offline OP
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
6's suck.

Travis

M
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
M
Travis,

Before I left eastern Washington for Alaska I hunted a Beretta 686 O/U 28 gauge. It was the nicest upland gun I ever used and one I deeply regret selling.

I shot over a close working Brittany and took pheasants, quail, huns, chukars, doves, three species of grouse, and the occasional jump shot duck with the Beretta. The gun only weighed 5 pounds 12 ounces, making it a sweet carrying shotgun.

I shot mostly handloads, 3/4 or 7/8 ounce, and never felt I lacked power for any of the birds listed.

While it is not entirely necessary to own a 28 gauge to maintain your standing within our group of the shooting fratenity's "most interesting men in the world," it certainly helps to reinforce that position. Men outside of our group will speak in hushed and reverent tones when they watch you step out of the field with three pheasants, a 28 gauge and only 2 empty hulls. cool

Chronographs, bore scopes and pattern boards have broke a lot of hearts.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by mart
Travis,

Before I left eastern Washington for Alaska I hunted a Beretta 686 O/U 28 gauge. It was the nicest upland gun I ever used and one I deeply regret selling.

I shot over a close working Brittany and took pheasants, quail, huns, chukars, doves, three species of grouse, and the occasional jump shot duck with the Beretta. The gun only weighed 5 pounds 12 ounces, making it a sweet carrying shotgun.

I shot mostly handloads, 3/4 or 7/8 ounce, and never felt I lacked power for any of the birds listed.

While it is not entirely necessary to own a 28 gauge to maintain your standing within our group of the shooting fratenity's "most interesting men in the world," it certainly helps to reinforce that position. Men outside of our group will speak in hushed and reverent tones when they watch you step out of the field with three pheasants, a 28 gauge and only 2 empty hulls. cool

And then lay a white linen table cloth over the tail gate, uncork a fine Australian Chardonnay to go with the smoked salmon and wafers..

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Mule Deer: How about including the 28 Gauge in a future Looney News?

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
I'll do that!

We're always looking for suggestions from subscribers.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
DesertMuleDeer,

Missed your question on single-trigger doubles. Have seen quite a few single triggers malfunction, but the gun that really drove me nuts was a 28-gauge over-under from a well-known Italian firm. I could shoot it very well, but sometimes it would refuse to fire the second barrel, and sending it back to the company didn't fix the problem, nor did turning it over to a very knowledgable local gunsmith. It finally drove me so nuts I sold the thing, and yes, I did reveal the problem.

I generally prefer double triggers on double guns, as they're the quickest way to actually choose which barrel to shoot, and aside from one trigger that needed its pull readjusted after a year of use, have never had any trouble with them. But I grew up with a 2-trigger double, so am used to 'em. Two triggers confuse some people!

John Steinbeck
Page 3 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

590 members (1moredeer, 160user, 1beaver_shooter, 204guy, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 63 invisible), 2,314 guests, and 1,237 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,112
Posts18,464,422
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.