Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by DakotaDeer
For glassing in the cold and dealing with breath, you pretty much just have to learn a conscious habit of blowing down and away on the exhale. You can't just let the warm breath float around your face. Blow it out and down, away from you.

Blowing down and away from your face is kinda hard to do when wearing a balaclava.

Our winter prone league matches generally start in March. I wear a balaclava to keep the windchill off of my face. Warm air leaks out around my nose and up into my shooting glasses causing them to fog up. I tried the dawn trick and it worked like a charm. I can take my glasses off, they'll cool off and not fog up when I put them back on once they're treated.

GB1

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by RDFinn
I've tried two products that seem to help quite a bit with this. One is Fog Zero and the other is Clarity DeFog-it. Both are safe for sport optics.

Ordered some Clarity Defog-it with expedited shipping, and used it today and Weds on my binoculars while hunting.

Makes a huge difference. Was having significant problems with them fogging up earlier in the week, reduced to no fogging. GREAT TIP.

"Put none but Americans on guard tonight."
-George Washington
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
This reminds me of a story from back around my junior year in High School. I had a mixed bunch of friends who used to regularly come over on Saturday night to hang out.

A few years previous to this, a family had moved in on the street. The mother was a real piece of work. She was moderately attractive, and used to harass the neighbor boys sexually. It was all talk, but was filled with a lot of innuendo. You could tell she was just playing you. She also had this habit of undressing with the shades up.

So here it is 2155 ET, we'd just finished listening to my new copy of Pink Floyd's Wish You Were Here. I jump up and start handing out binos, telescopes-- whatever I could scrounge up, and we all ran to the window to watch Misses C. take her clothes off. Ours was the house at the end of the Cul-de-Sac. Her's was a few doors up with the side facing our front.

At 2201 ET the show began. It lasted less than a minute, because even at 100 yards, she could see a dozen high-schoolers plastered across our upstairs windows.

Thanks, Misses C., wherever you are. That was a heck of a show.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by shaman
This reminds me of a story from back around my junior year in High School. I had a mixed bunch of friends who used to regularly come over on Saturday night to hang out.

A few years previous to this, a family had moved in on the street. The mother was a real piece of work. She was moderately attractive, and used to harass the neighbor boys sexually. It was all talk, but was filled with a lot of innuendo. You could tell she was just playing you. She also had this habit of undressing with the shades up.

So here it is 2155 ET, we'd just finished listening to my new copy of Pink Floyd's Wish You Were Here. I jump up and start handing out binos, telescopes-- whatever I could scrounge up, and we all ran to the window to watch Misses C. take her clothes off. Ours was the house at the end of the Cul-de-Sac. Her's was a few doors up with the side facing our front.

At 2201 ET the show began. It lasted less than a minute, because even at 100 yards, she could see a dozen high-schoolers plastered across our upstairs windows.

Thanks, Misses C., wherever you are. That was a heck of a show.

With a dozen high schoolers watching her undress...did your binoculars fog up?

"Put none but Americans on guard tonight."
-George Washington
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by rost495
Originally Posted by RDFinn
I've tried two products that seem to help quite a bit with this. One is Fog Zero and the other is Clarity DeFog-it. Both are safe for sport optics.

Clarity De Fog it is hands down the best I've used.

I put it on glasses and SCBA masks at teh fire dept and goggles... we fog up quick in fire situations... its the only thing that comes close to being reliable.... A shame its as high as it is, but I"m going to buy another 50 or so dollars worth of it shortly... running low.

I would agree. DeFog-it has worked great so far this year. RDFinn sent me a sample to try, and he was correct in that it is a great product. I had been using Parker's Perfect, which is good, but this DeFog-it stuff is better. Thanks again RD.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by cv540

With a dozen high schoolers watching her undress...did your binoculars fog up?

To be honest, she was such a odd duck, I really never thought of her that way. She was just the crazy lady that talked dirty up the street to me.

Besides, if I remember, there was quite a bit of steam being generated right there in my room. I had two future steadies in that group at the windows. One I ended up getting engaged to after college. The other I went out with on prom night.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Like Bushrat said. Keep them warmer than the ambient air, and don't breath on them as they're coming into use. One reason I gave up my big 7 x 50's and went to pocket size versions.

1Minute
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
if we find something better than de fog it I sure want to know.. 40 bucks worth ordered yesterday again.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
They both work very well.FogZero is fast and easy to apply in the field, but from my limited testing, they seem to work about the same preventing on the oculars of bino's. Just remember, this isn't the same as the hydro coatings used by makers such as Bushnell, Zeiss, Leica, Steiner and Meopta that repels water/snow from sticking to the lens and provides an extra layer of durability as well. This stuff just helps (quite a bit) prevent fogging from either breathing on a lens or from your skin/face temperature causing fog to accumulate.

Glad that stuff helped out JG. The other stuff that you tried, like Parkers, leaves a slight film behind that is visible, and I'm sure that doesn't help the view through bino's especially. Perhaps you might not see it as much through a scope, but why bother when you have newer products that don't leave a visible film. Same goes for those anti-fog cloth wipes. They too leave behind a film.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Glad it helped.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If you do a little search on Ebay, you can find Fog Zero for about $15-16 shipped.

Try this guy. Shipping was fast.

[u][color:#000099][size:14pt]Fog Zero[/size][/color][/u]

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

450 members (1_deuce, 219DW, 17CalFan, 1OntarioJim, 06hunter59, 10gaugeman, 50 invisible), 2,423 guests, and 1,275 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,491
Posts18,452,102
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.