Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I'm looking to pick up a new (or slightly used) ATV to replace my '01 Foreman ES. Leaning towards the Yamaha Grizzly 700 with EPS, but hearing good things about the King Quads as well. Anyone have experience comparing the two?

ATV use will be plowing snow in the winter, riding trails in the summer, and hunting every fall.

SS

"To be glad of life because it gives you a chance to love and to work and to play and to look up at the stars. To be satisfied with your possessions but not content with yourself until you have made the best of them."
-Henry Van Dyke
GB1

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Don't know about the King Quad, but I own 3 Grizzly 700's. With the EFI and EPS, they are sweet. Too bad your so far away. I have two of them consigned locally an '07 Ducks Unlimited and an '08. Both have full skid plates and winches (the '07 has aftermarket tires and roms too). 5K each and les than 100 hours each.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Don't know about the King Quad, but I own 3 Grizzly 700's. With the EFI and EPS, they are sweet. Too bad your so far away. I have two of them consigned locally an '07 Ducks Unlimited and an '08. Both have full skid plates and winches (the '07 has aftermarket tires and roms too). 5K each and les than 100 hours each.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Either one would make a great machine for your purposes. I've owned both and if there is any potential advantage I'd say that it might go toward the Griz. Suzuki had some recall issues several years ago but as far as I know they have been resolved. IIRC, they had some minor issue with their rear sealed brake on the KQ's.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Gawd awful hard to beat a Grizzly.

Camp is where you make it.
IC B2

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Found a deal on a new 2014 with winch and blade (new old stock) for 2500 less than a 2016 with no winch or blade. Any big differences between the two model years?

SS

"To be glad of life because it gives you a chance to love and to work and to play and to look up at the stars. To be satisfied with your possessions but not content with yourself until you have made the best of them."
-Henry Van Dyke
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Really doubt it. Once they got to EFI and PS, the changes have been incremental. Other than minor tweaks, they can't get too much better. My new ones were a big step up from my Grizzly 660, which was great, but no EFI or PS. Good score.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Look at the Kawi Brute Force 750. I looked at both the grizzly and the king quad and need uo with the Brute. I have been very happy with the decision and it's easily twice the machine of the 03 Poo sportsman 700 it replaced.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I recently got a KingQuad 500 and have no complaints about it. I'm sure either will do everything you need

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I have a Suzuki and a Yamaha. Dad has a Honda..all good machines..
I like the Suzuki the best bet th old grizzly I bought cheap and was horribly abused by some kids..it is amazing how tough tha grizzly is and how good it runs considering this kids ran the wheels of...literally.....and never gave maintance a thought..

IC B3

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I'm happy with a grizzly 550 that I use to plow. but it's supposed to be 70 here tomorrow so it's getting a rest this year so far.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've put over 12K miles on both kinds of machines in the 400-450 cc range. Both machines have been good, quite reliable. Actually, we've run both a 400 Eiger 400 and a King Quad in the same size and nearly identical for the same distances. The Eiger has been mostly my miles. The KQ has quite a few "kid" miles on it and the engines has puked twice. Regardless, I like the EPS Grizz a lot. That said, at around 13,000 miles, one of the main electrical components has given up. We've narrowed it down to probably the main "control" unit, but I haven't had a chance to verify that yet.

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have a '15 Griz 700 EPS & absolutely love it! I looked at the KQ at the time of purchase too but I liked the ride a bit better on the Griz. With the snow plow on it, it makes short work of plowing my driveway.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
check the new kodiak instead of the griz.a friend said the dealer told him to buy it over the griz because they come in 700 with EPS at alot less money.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by srwshooter
check the new kodiak instead of the griz.a friend said the dealer told him to buy it over the griz because they come in 700 with EPS at alot less money.

That is true. But the Kodiak has less torque,less performance, the grizz has a wet disc break system and the Kodiak doesn't, no speedo on the basic Kodiak, different lights on the Kodiak until you get up in different models, and the doesn't have a diff-lok until you get up the SE (special edition) model and then you're looking at the same price as the Grizz.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
It was good (and smart) of Yamaha to offer the Kodiak with different levels of opt and 4WD. Not everyone uses a quad like I would and may not need the full blown 4WD capabilities of the Griz. Nice for folks plowing their driveways and folks just running a ranch to have a lower cost option.

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
I know they are not the biggest or the baddest, but I have always liked my Honda four wheelers with the "HONDAMATIC" transmission. Bulletproof engine/transmission combination. Run forever without issue.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've gone through a few ATV's on the farm. Over all the Yamaha Grizzly has been the most flawless and functional performer. The 4X4 system with the locking diff has made the difference more times then I can recall. I would never own one with a limited slip diff. The electric locker is a priceless addition to it getting unstuck, or climbing slick hills.

One Key feature that may not be important off the farm is the solid rear axle. My independent rear suspension Grizzly is limited to a 20-25 gallon sprayer. At 30 gallons the rear sag is too much and I think something would give. The independent rear suspension models don't seem to have the weight capacity of the solid axles. They do however get out of trouble in rough terrain far better then the rear solid axle.

www.huntingadventures.net
Are you living your life, or just paying bills until you die?
When you hit the pearly gates I want to be there just to see the massive pile of dead 5hit at your feet. ( John Peyton)
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The Griz and KQ have a LS up front when engaged in 4WD. It also has a diff loc feature.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
The 2016 Grizzly has 4 wheel disk brakes. The Kodiak rear brake is the sealed unit. I like that they mounted the handlebar light.

I just sold my Brute Force 750 which I loved and put through hell. That was an awesome machine.

Will be looking at the new Kawis too.

The woods and the water recharge my batteries.
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by robertacabin
I know they are not the biggest or the baddest, but I have always liked my Honda four wheelers with the "HONDAMATIC" transmission. Bulletproof engine/transmission combination. Run forever without issue.

I love Honda's and have one...but they're not in the same league as the Yamaha Grizzly. Or Kodiak for that matter. They just price them like they are. crazy

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Honda's are the #1 recommended quad for AARP members....... grin

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Had my 2016 Kodiak, with plow, delivered on Friday morning. Was plowing with it Friday evening.

I bought the base model for $6200, the plow and winch added anoth thousand.

This machine is excellent. The power is not wicked, like on my Brute Force, but it is plenty for a utility atv.

The plowing capability of the Warn front mount plow, far exceeds that of my previous push tube setup. I should have taken a video as I raised the plow to max height and powered up my 1/4 mile long street, through 20+" of snow.

I thought I was going to be annoyed by the lack of features on the base model. I actually like the lever actuated 4wd. The lack of 3rd headlight I will remedy with a 12" light bar. Do i really need to know how fast im going riding through the woods or plowing snow? Nope, no regrets with this one. $7500 out the door, with turn key plow set, no brainer for what I do.

I will make a couple mods. The list so far:
LED light bar
Upgrade front shocks with adjustable preload.
Front cargo box.

My $.02.

Last edited by Rgramjet; 01/29/16.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member

Campfire Member
Campfire Member

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Hey Sam, at the end of the day, as long as you stay with any of the "majors" you'll get a good and reliable machine. What it boils down to is which one has the power, options and ride (suspension) you find most desireable.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

572 members (1lessdog, 1234, 1_deuce, 10gaugeman, 007FJ, 160user, 68 invisible), 2,319 guests, and 1,234 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,656
Posts18,455,599
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.