Hop To
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Yes, better.

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by sbhooper
Originally Posted by shrapnel
Originally Posted by bellydeep
Regular Accubonds are great elk bullets

I don't know how much more you could want from a bullet. These are 2 200 grain Accubonds from an elk at 660 yards from a 300 WBY...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

This is another 200 grain from an elk shot with a 300 Ultra mag at 200 yards. It appears to me that these bullets have worked consistantly at various velocities and yardages...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Right here is the answer to the question. Shoot ABLRs that are heavy-for-caliber and the problem is solved. I'll bet that they would be great at .308 velocities, also.

The pictured bullets are regular AB's, I do believe, not ABLR, so have little to do with the question...

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by gerrygoat
For the record I much prefer the regular Accubond it will do everything I could ever want to do. I just think some guys are being pretty unrealistic when it comes to the ABLR in order to expand at extreme range it will have to be a bit soft at closer range, I bet we will hear the exact same things this time next year about the new Hornady ELD-X bullet. Honestly there is no real good reason for shooting at extreme range anyway other than inflating someone's ego. If you bag it you have to get to the animal anyway so why not cut the distance down before you shoot?

The animal can't run away once it's dead wink

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith
Originally Posted by sbhooper
Originally Posted by shrapnel
Originally Posted by bellydeep
Regular Accubonds are great elk bullets

I don't know how much more you could want from a bullet. These are 2 200 grain Accubonds from an elk at 660 yards from a 300 WBY...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

This is another 200 grain from an elk shot with a 300 Ultra mag at 200 yards. It appears to me that these bullets have worked consistantly at various velocities and yardages...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Right here is the answer to the question. Shoot ABLRs that are heavy-for-caliber and the problem is solved. I'll bet that they would be great at .308 velocities, also.

The pictured bullets are regular AB's, I do believe, not ABLR, so have little to do with the question...

You didn't read the explanation. They are regular Accubonds and work at both long and short range. The point being there doesn't appear to be a need for the long range variation other than for marketing purposes...

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
No, I did. Your data on the regular AB is interesting and all, but sbhooper was implying that your results were representative of heavy ABLR bullets.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Skeezix,

I have been following the whole ABLR deal closely, and used some (not many) as well. What I’ve generally noticed is the people who’re unhappy with ABLR performance on game haven’t used them at long range. Instead they use them as an all-around bullet, often from higher velocity cartridges, like they’d use the standard AccuBond and Partition, and bitch when the ABLR’s don’t hold up as well at ranges under 400 yards.

Well, an all-around bullet is how Nosler markets them - in direct and intentional contrast to "other high-B.C. bullets". It is no wonder people try to use them as such or that they are disappointed when they don't work as Nosler advertises.

http://www.nosler.com/accubond-long-range-bullet/

Originally Posted by Nosler.com
Designed with an optimum performance window ranging from 3,200fps to 1,300 fps, the unique tapered jacket geometry and proprietary bonding process of the AccuBond®-LR allow it to expand rapidly for effective energy transfer and significant tissue damage while retaining sufficient weight to ensure deep penetration into the vitals. The AccuBond® bonding process allows the AccuBond®-LR to perform reliably on game throughout the entire velocity range, eliminating the problem of being “too close” often encountered with other high-B.C. bullets.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
And a lot of people bitch about regular AccuBonds at closer ranges--which was my point. There's no pleasing some people, especially when one particular bullet doesn't act exactly like they expect it to. Quite often they complain about the entrance hole, exit hole, amount of meat it shot up, how far the animal went after the hit, lack of a blood trail, etc. etc. etc.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Just wacked a bull on Sunday with a 140 grain Nosler Accubond in my 270 Roy and it took 5 steps and fell over. Seems like a good combo accubond/weatherby! Hits very hard.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Skeezix
Thanks guys!! Y'all confirmed what I'd heard.

I've had what, to me, was surprising experience with several deer I've killed with the 200gr AB out of my .338 RCM at 2850 fps. I have yet to have an exit wound on any mature buck (240 to 330 lbs), but all my shots have been quartering or through the shoulders. And all but one have run at least 50-60 yds. I've had exit wounds and some bang/flops with does, even a couple that were just over 200 pounds. Same experience with the 200gr SST's from Hornady.

The old 210 NPT just blows right through, giving a nice big, juicy exit wound, which usually isn't needed because the deer bang/flops or falls within 20 yds or less. Same thing with the old Hornady 200gr flat base IL and the Speer 200gr HotCor, all at 2850fps out of my .338 RCM. I've gotten in a LOT more shooting than normal the last three years with this rifle because of culling requested by the Department of Conservation due to CWD in the area.

I know I was originally asking about the ABLR's out of 7mm and 300 mags, but my experience with the regular 338, 200gr AB's on big northern Missouri whitetails has me wondering about their performance on elk too.

Thanks again!

Are you sure you ain't from Texas?

"Any one who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the Government take care of him, better take a closer look at the American Indian."
- Henry Ford
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
And a lot of people bitch about regular AccuBonds at closer ranges--which was my point. There's no pleasing some people, especially when one particular bullet doesn't act exactly like they expect it to. Quite often they complain about the entrance hole, exit hole, amount of meat it shot up, how far the animal went after the hit, lack of a blood trail, etc. etc. etc.

People have every right to be disappointed and voice their displeasure regarding the AccuBond LR. Nosler states explicitly that the bullet has "an optimum performance window ranging from 3,200fps to 1,300 fps" and that it will "perform reliably on game throughout the entire velocity range, eliminating the problem of being “too close”. Sounds to me like the Holy Grail of bullets or a bunch of snake oil marketing. I vote for the latter.

People spend good time and money to purchase the AccuBond LR bullets and develop loads only to find out the advertised B.C. values are grossly overstated and that in fact they don't hold up well at close range in spite of the design "eliminating the problem of being too close". Granted, just as with cup-and-core target bullets, the close range problems can be expected to diminish as bullet weights increase.

I realize B.C. values for a given bullet can vary from rifle to rifle and at different velocities. Still, I have yet to see any reports of the advertised B.C. values being too low. You suggest in your post that people shouldn't expect them to hold together as well under 400 yards, a claim that is in stark contrast to Nosler's claims to the contrary.

When the AccuBond LR came out I, too, was interested. Although I don't practice at ranges past 600 yards and wouldn't attempt a shot at game at that range unless everything was perfect, the AccuBond LR promised a flatter trajectory with less wind drift. Then reality set in.

Using Nosler's own published velocities and B.C values, the practical difference between the 7mm 168g ABLR and the standard 140g and 160g AB are vanishingly small at 600 yards. With each load MPBR zeroed for a 6" diameter target the ABLR is about an 1" higher compared to the 160g AB and about 8" lower than with the 140g AB. Retained velocity is about 16fps less (140g) to about 100fps higher (160g), and wind drift is about 4" less (~17" vs ~21" for both AB weights). Retained energy is higher by ~285fpe (140g) and ~255fpe (160g) but both standard AB bullets retain between 1550fpe and 1600fpe, more than enough to do the job cleanly.

Thanks, but I'll stick with the proven performance of the standard AccuBonds and forgo the "advantages" of the LR version. And when others voice their disappointment with the AccuBond LR when compared to Nosler's marketing claims, I won't point to the shooters and suggest they should have known better.

Last edited by Coyote_Hunter; 12/03/15. Reason: energy, not velocity 1 place

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

IC B3

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by Coyote_Hunter

People have every right to be disappointed and voice their displeasure regarding the AccuBond LR. Nosler states explicitly that the bullet has "an optimum performance window ranging from 3,200fps to 1,300 fps" and that it will "perform reliably on game throughout the entire velocity range, eliminating the problem of being “too close”. Sounds to me like the Holy Grail of bullets or a bunch of snake oil marketing. I vote for the latter.

People spend good time and money to purchase the AccuBond LR bullets and develop loads only to find out the advertised B.C. values are grossly overstated and that in fact they don't hold up well at close range in spite of the design "eliminating the problem of being too close". Granted, just as with cup-and-core target bullets, the close range problems can be expected to diminish as bullet weights increase.

I realize B.C. values for a given bullet can vary from rifle to rifle and at different velocities. Still, I have yet to see any reports of the advertised B.C. values being too low. You suggest in your post that people shouldn't expect them to hold together as well under 400 yards, a claim that is in stark contrast to Nosler's claims to the contrary.

When the AccuBond LR came out I, too, was interested. Although I don't practice at ranges past 600 yards and wouldn't attempt a shot at game at that range unless everything was perfect, the AccuBond LR promised a flatter trajectory with less wind drift. Then reality set in.

Using Nosler's own published velocities and B.C values, the practical difference between the 7mm 168g ABLR and the standard 140g and 160g AB are vanishingly small at 600 yards. With each load MPBR zeroed for a 6" diameter target the ABLR is about an 1" higher compared to the 160g AB and about 8" lower than with the 140g AB. Retained velocity is about 16fps less (140g) to about 100fps higher (160g), and wind drift is about 4" less (~17" vs ~21" for both AB weights). Retained energy is higher by ~285fpe (140g) and ~255fpe (160g) but both standard AB bullets retain between 1550fpe and 1600fpe, more than enough to do the job cleanly.

Thanks, but I'll stick with the proven performance of the standard AccuBonds and forgo the "advantages" of the LR version. And when others voice their disappointment with the AccuBond LR when compared to Nosler's marketing claims, I won't point to the shooters and suggest they should have known better.

Your statements are negligent. For example, you claim that "... the advertised B.C. values are grossly overstated... " but failed to provide any evidence of your claim or what the "true" values are. Additional, please provide the calculations, tolerance, and uncertainty value of the measured B.C. that Nosler uses in their methods to determine B.C., that you have found to be incorrect. Also, you dismissed the B.C values but then used them to dispute an advertising advantage by comparing various projectiles. Please explain.
Secondly, you state that "... they don't hold up well at close range in spite of the design..." But you failed explain what constitutes not "hold(ing) up well" and how that fails to adequately coincide with the claims made by Nosler.
Thirdly, you state "And when others voice their disappointment with the AccuBond LR when compared to Nosler's marketing claims, I won't point to the shooters and suggest they should have known better." You are entirely responsible for your hunt and the selection of equipment. Which includes any validation done on your own of products you selected. Noslers claims are not at all unreasonable and not all inclusive.
Ironically when you quoted John B. I felt your statements were synonymous to the point he made.
Get a grip buddy, you are responsible.

Last edited by smallfry; 12/03/15.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by smallfry

Your statements are negligent. For example, you claim that "... the advertised B.C. values are grossly overstated... " but failed to provide any evidence of your claim or what the "true" values are. Additional, please provide the calculations, tolerance, and uncertainty value of the measured B.C. that Nosler uses in their methods to determine B.C., that you have found to be incorrect.

Negligent? Not hardly. Brian Litz, founder of Applied Ballistics, knows far more about ballistics than either you or I and, for that matter, most people. He puts his professional reputation on the line with his analysis of AccuBond LR B.C. values.

[Linked Image]

You can read his entire article here:
http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f19/nosler-lr-accubonds-bc-testing-results-137554/

Also, you dismissed the B.C values but then used them to dispute an advertising advantage by comparing various projectiles. Please explain.

Would you have preferred I just made some B.C. numbers up?

Secondly, you state that "... they don't hold up well at close range in spite of the design..." But you failed explain what constitutes not "hold(ing) up well" and how that fails to adequately coincide with the claims made by Nosler.

If you're going to quote someone, don't take their words out of context to make your point. I was referring to other people's experiences and their conclusions - hence the "People ... find out ..." syntax..

You don't have to go beyond this thread to find such complaints but if you do you can find many.

Everyone has their own definition of what constitutes good bullet performance. Nosler may well take the position that a bullet that holds together well enough to work on a broadside is good enough. Many people demand more of their bullets and want one that will hold together for long angling shots to the vitals or after contact with heavy bone. For me that means a bullet that provides good accuracy with reliable but limited expansion and high weight retention over as wide a range of impact velocities as possible. I'll stick with the standard AccuBond, North Fork, A-Frame and TTSX.

Thirdly, you state "And when others voice their disappointment with the AccuBond LR when compared to Nosler's marketing claims, I won't point to the shooters and suggest they should have known better." You are entirely responsible for your hunt and the selection of equipment. Which includes any validation done on your own of products you selected. Noslers claims are not at all unreasonable and not all inclusive.

I agree people are responsible for their choices. Unfortunately there is no substitute for on-game performance when evaluating bullet performance. Hunters can learn from personal experience or from the experience of others, so the "bitching" about Nosler AccuBond LR performance serves a valuable purpose - providing real-life data instead of marketing hype.

Ironically when you quoted John B. I felt your statements were synonymous to the point he made.

John B. missed the point entirely.

In an earlier post he said this:
"Instead they use them as an all-around bullet, often from higher velocity cartridges, like they’d use the standard AccuBond and Partition, and bitch when the ABLR’s don’t hold up as well at ranges under 400 yards."

When Nosler advertises the bullet as having an "optimum performance window ranging from 3,200fps to 1,300 fps" and that the design eliminates the "problem of being “too close”", they are clearly stating that close range, high velocity impacts are not a problem.

John seems to agree with those that think the AccuBond LR might be less than a stellar performer at high velocity and takes hunters who have been disappointed with them to task when they "bitch" about their experience.

I make no recommendations about the AccuBond LR but feel John is out of line when blaming the hunters who have been disappointed after accepting Nosler's claims. My take is Nosler is guilty of marketing hype.

[/quote]
Get a grip buddy, you are responsible.
[/quote]

Yup. And I won't be using AccuBond LR because the experience of people who have confirms my suspicions that there are better choices, in spite of Nosler's claims.

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Coyote,

Well said.

After shooting 3 elk and a MD my experience indicates they are very soft and not great elk bullets at intermediate ranges (200-300) My initial impression was that they would be a good all around bullet with the added bonus of long range capability. My bad I guess.
They are very accurate in my rifle and the stated BC's may be a little optimistic, but not much. Pretty close to the JBM program that I used out to 650. I will continue to use them for deer and similar sized critters, but the quest for a "perfect" bullet goes on.
Maybe next year I will just use my .375 Ruger cool

Lefty C

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Amazing. So you look at a set of values put out by Nosler and Brian Litz without knowing how they arrived at those values, tolerance and error of the methods and equipment, and the uncertenty values and make an absolute comparison? How dumb. Further, you back this up by saying that it must be true because he puts his professional reputation on the line, which is just a fantastic statement devoid of objectivity. Congratulations. I know this concept might scare you $hittless but... It is entirely possible that both values are "correct" and that both Brian and Nosler most likely had to choose which value they wanted to report if they did enough testing. Please tell me you are not in a technical field. Ever thought that if you looked at the tolerances, error, sampling, and uncertainty calculations that the two values might be a statistical wash?

You make the statement that "Everyone has their own definition of what constitutes good bullet performance" but then state that Nosler is "guilty of marketing hype" and that the hype wasn't based on "personal experances" which you attribute to testing on game. Its fascinating to me that you know that Nosler never tested the LR on game. Then go on to say John is out of line for "blaming the hunters who have been disappointed after accepting Nosler's claim". Why because Nosler didn't tell them how many inches the bullet would travel In their elk at 123 yards? Again, you are responsible regardless of the claims or how disappointed you are in them.
The bottom line is that you believe Nosler's claims are unreasonable and that any dissatisfied Hunter using the LR has been done wrong. Lmao. Good god.
Btw... What "big game" does Nosler make these claims based on? Just curious

Last edited by smallfry; 12/04/15.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Amazing. So you look at a set of values put out by Nosler and Brian Litz without knowing how they arrived at those values, tolerance and error of the methods and equipment, and the uncertenty values and make an absolute comparison? How dumb.

If you go back and can comprehend what you read, which I'm beginning to doubt, you will see that I acknowledge the same bullet can exhibit different B.C. values based on the rifle they are fired from and at different velocities. Brian Litz and Nosler came to some pretty different values for B.C. but Brian's numbers seem to better reflect what most people are seeing - i.e. something less than what Nosler advertises.

No, I don't know all the details on how Nosler arrived at their numbers and really don't give a damn - the numbers they advertise for the AccuBond LR and standard AccuBond are the numbers they chose, not me. I don't have any problem using them for comparison any more than I use numbers from Barnes, Hornady and others when making calculations for bullets I have not tested myself.

The bullets I take hunting get tested over a chonograph and out to 600 yards. The observed results then get plugged into a ballistic calculator. If the manufacturer's B.C. value doesn't match my experience I modify the B.C. value until it does. Then when I go hunting I take hard copy tables as well as my cell-phone with its ballistic calculator app. But until I have such experience, yes, I use the manufacturer supplied B.C. values.

Further, you back this up by saying that it must be true because he puts his professional reputation on the line, which is just a fantastic statement devoid of objectivity.

Did I mention you might have a reading comprehension problem? It is showing again. I didn't say it "must be true", I said Brain Litz put his professional reputation on the line - in other words, HE believes his numbers to be accurate.

Congratulations. I know this concept might scare you $hittless but... It is entirely possible that both values are "correct" and that both Brian and Nosler most likely had to choose which value they wanted to report if they did enough testing. Please tell me you are not in a technical field. Ever thought that if you looked at the tolerances, error, sampling, and uncertainty calculations that the two values might be a statistical wash?

Actually I am in a technical field and have been for decades. And no, I don't believe the two values are the result of a "statistical wash". In fact, there are more than two values we are talking about - we're talking about B.C. values for eleven different bullets. If the values were a statistical wash, either Nosler or LItz could have a higher number for any given bullet. In fact, Litz's number are lower for all eleven. The chances of that happening if their values are a "statistical wash" are 1 in 2048.

You make the statement that "Everyone has their own definition of what constitutes good bullet performance" but then state that Nosler is "guilty of marketing hype" and that the hype wasn't based on "personal experances" which you attribute to testing on game. Its fascinating to me that you know that Nosler never tested the LR on game. Then go on to say John is out of line for "blaming the hunters who have been disappointed after accepting Nosler's claim". Why because Nosler didn't tell them how many inches the bullet would travel In their elk at 123 yards? Again, you are responsible regardless of the claims or how disappointed you are in them.
The bottom line is that you believe Nosler's claims are unreasonable and that any dissatisfied Hunter using the LR has been done wrong. Lmao. Good god.

Your reading comprehension problem is showing again. Nowhere did I say Nosler hadn't tested the AccuBond LR on game. In fact, I'd be very surprised if they didn't test at least some of the LR version on game before putting them on the market.

What I wrote was (pay attention here) "Nosler may well take the position that a bullet that holds together well enough to work on a broadside is good enough. Many people demand more of their bullets...". Is Nosler guilty of marketing hype? IMHO there is no question about it - most companies engage in hype to some degree or another. If Nosler really believes the AccuBond LR will behave in an "optimum" manner at both 3200fps and 1300fps they have a very different definition of "optimum" than I do.

Nosler states quite clearly that the AccuBond LR is in its "optimum performance window" at 3200fps and that the design eliminates the problem of being "too close", yet John takes hunters to task and suggests hunters shouldn't be disappointed "when the ABLR’s don’t hold up as well at ranges under 400 yards". The fastest 7mm/168g AccuBondLR load Nosler lists for the 7mm RM clocks in at 3011fps. According to Nosler, that load is in its "optimum performance window" from the muzzle to well beyond 1000 yards. I agree with John that hunters shouldn't expect the AccuBond LR to hold up as well at close range but where we disagree is at the 400 yard figure. Based on Nosler's claims I think hunters are right to expect good performance at much closer ranges.

And again, just to be perfectly clear, I believe Nosler's claims for the AccuBond LR are overblown marketing hype. I use a lot of standard AccuBond bullets and will stick with them.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Amazing. So you look at a set of values put out by Nosler and Brian Litz without knowing how they arrived at those values, tolerance and error of the methods and equipment, and the uncertenty values and make an absolute comparison? How dumb.

If you go back and can comprehend what you read, which I'm beginning to doubt, you will see that I acknowledge the same bullet can exhibit different B.C. values based on the rifle they are fired from and at different velocities. Brian Litz and Nosler came to some pretty different values for B.C. but Brian's numbers seem to better reflect what most people are seeing - i.e. something less than what Nosler advertises.

No, I don't know all the details on how Nosler arrived at their numbers and really don't give a damn - the numbers they advertise for the AccuBond LR and standard AccuBond are the numbers they chose, not me. I don't have any problem using them for comparison any more than I use numbers from Barnes, Hornady and others when making calculations for bullets I have not tested myself.

The bullets I take hunting get tested over a chonograph and out to 600 yards. The observed results then get plugged into a ballistic calculator. If the manufacturer's B.C. value doesn't match my experience I modify the B.C. value until it does. Then when I go hunting I take hard copy tables as well as my cell-phone with its ballistic calculator app. But until I have such experience, yes, I use the manufacturer supplied B.C. values.

Further, you back this up by saying that it must be true because he puts his professional reputation on the line, which is just a fantastic statement devoid of objectivity.

Did I mention you might have a reading comprehension problem? It is showing again. I didn't say it "must be true", I said Brain Litz put his professional reputation on the line - in other words, HE believes his numbers to be accurate.

Congratulations. I know this concept might scare you $hittless but... It is entirely possible that both values are "correct" and that both Brian and Nosler most likely had to choose which value they wanted to report if they did enough testing. Please tell me you are not in a technical field. Ever thought that if you looked at the tolerances, error, sampling, and uncertainty calculations that the two values might be a statistical wash?

Actually I am in a technical field and have been for decades. And no, I don't believe the two values are the result of a "statistical wash". In fact, there are more than two values we are talking about - we're talking about B.C. values for eleven different bullets. If the values were a statistical wash, either Nosler or LItz could have a higher number for any given bullet. In fact, Litz's number are lower for all eleven. The chances of that happening if their values are a "statistical wash" are 1 in 2048.

Your reading comprehension problem is showing again. Nowhere did I say Nosler hadn't tested the AccuBond LR on game. In fact, I'd be very surprised if they didn't test at least some of the LR version on game before putting them on the market.

What I wrote was (pay attention here) "Nosler may well take the position that a bullet that holds together well enough to work on a broadside is good enough. Many people demand more of their bullets...". Is Nosler guilty of marketing hype? IMHO there is no question about it - most companies engage in hype to some degree or another. If Nosler really believes the AccuBond LR will behave in an "optimum" manner at both 3200fps and 1300fps they have a very different definition of "optimum" than I do.

Nosler states quite clearly that the AccuBond LR is in its "optimum performance window" at 3200fps and that the design eliminates the problem of being "too close", yet John takes hunters to task and suggests hunters shouldn't be disappointed "when the ABLR’s don’t hold up as well at ranges under 400 yards". The fastest 7mm/168g AccuBondLR load Nosler lists for the 7mm RM clocks in at 3011fps. According to Nosler, that load is in its "optimum performance window" from the muzzle to well beyond 1000 yards. I agree with John that hunters shouldn't expect the AccuBond LR to hold up as well at close range but where we disagree is at the 400 yard figure. Based on Nosler's claims I think hunters are right to expect good performance at much closer ranges.

And again, just to be perfectly clear, I believe Nosler's claims for the AccuBond LR are overblown marketing hype. I use a lot of standard AccuBond bullets and will stick with them.

Good god you're dumb. If you can't speak of how Brian or Nosler arrived at thier data including ALL uncertainty values and tolerance of all equipment used and their results, and how they CHOOSE to report the data by summary statistics and rounding, then you can't say that thier numbers are similar or dissimilar. Brian, and Nosler can both REPORT BC values of the same projectile with a discrepancy of 10% and both be right. A concept that escapes you apparently.
But I am speaking to a guy that absurdly reports his own numbers.
Also, if you didn't feel you were making an important point that substantiated your argument by saying that Brian puts his professional reputation on the line, why say it at all?

With your long winded responses and endless quotes, you argue like a butthurt employee that constantly fears for job his security.
Nosler's claims hurt hunters. Lmao.
By the way the "odds" you calculated did not account the aforementioned factors.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Good god you're dumb. If you can't speak of how Brian or Nosler arrived at thier data including ALL uncertainty values and tolerance of all equipment used and their results, and how they CHOOSE to report the data by summary statistics and rounding, then you can't say that thier numbers are similar or dissimilar. Brian, and Nosler can both REPORT BC values of the same projectile with a discrepancy of 10% and both be right. A concept that escapes you apparently.
Also, if you didn't feel you were making an important point that substantiated your argument by saying that Brian puts his professional reputation on the line, why say it at all?

With your long winded responses and endless quotes, you argue like a butthurt employee that constantly fears for job his security.
By the way the "odds" you calculated did not account the aforementioned factors.

Both Nosler and Brian report their B.C. values to 3 significant digits. Sorry for you if you don't understand what that means, but one thing it does mean is their results are NOT similar or, as you put it earlier, a "statistical wash". It also means they are reporting to a much finer granularity than 10%.

I haven't reported any of my own B.C. values, just used those provided by Nosler and Brain and I used Nosler B.C. and velocity data for my calculations. If you insist Nosler's data is correct, what is the problem? If I had used Brian's B.C. values the AccuBond LR would have looked even worse by comparison.

If you will recall, you are the one that asked for evidence that the Nosler B.C. values might not be correct, which I provided. Brian is an expert in the field and was willing to stake his professional reputation on the numbers he provided. I trust his numbers at least as much as I do Nosler's and if I had to bet my life I'd go with Brian's numbers as he has nothing to gain by providing inflated numbers.

This whole B.C. thing is a red herring as far as I'm concerned - even if Nosler's values are correct the AccuBond LR don't provide enough of an advantage for me to choose them over standard AccuBond - which was the point of my original post and one you apparently missed entirely.

Just to pick one, since I'm a 7mm RM fan, and using Nosler's maximum listed velocity data for the 168g AccuBond LR (3100fps) and their claims of the "optimum performance window" being from 1300fps to 3200fps, Nosler is claiming the "optimum performance window" for that bullet is from the muzzle to well past 1,000 yards where it is still travelling over 1700fps. This for a soft, thin-skinned lead core bullet, albeit one that is bonded. Numerous people have been disappointed at close range and even John B. says hunters shouldn't be disappointed if it doesn't hold up as well at ranges under 400 yards. I personally wouldn't gamble with this bullet at 3200fps impact velocities unless I was shooting varmints.

Thanks, but I'll take Nosler's claims for what they are - marketing hype. There are better bullets for most hunters, including the standard AccuBond, for which Nosler claims an optimum performance window from 1800fps to "unlimited". (Which I also feel is optimistic - try using a 140g AccuBond at Nosler's listed maximum velocity of 3485fps from a 7mm RUM at close range - my experience says not much would be left.) Do I think Nosler does an injustice to their customers with their performance claims for the AccuBond LR? Yes. Feel free to disagree.

By the way, the responses and quotes are to help someone who obviously has a reading comprehension problem understand what he reads. That person, of course, being you.

Oh, and yes, the odds I calculated DID take into account the precision with which both Nosler and Litz reported their B.C. values.

Last edited by Coyote_Hunter; 12/05/15.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

This smells like either a Nosler employee or a nutswinger...

Let's look at this rationally and logically for a minute- both Bryan Litz and Nosler are aware of the intended use of LR bullets, as well as the required precision of BC values in order to be successfully applied in that use. They are both well aware that a 10% margin of error in measuring and reporting those values would be completely unacceptable, since it would render the BC value unfit for the intended application (wind drift values and drop values would be incorrect by an unacceptable amount). A +/- 2% error is about all the LR community would tolerate, and even that is quickly becoming unacceptable. In the past Nosler has published BC values based on computer generated models, whether they still do or not, I'm not sure. Bryan Litz, however, measures velocity of the bullets he tests over a 600 yard range of fire, and calculates actual G7 BC values. His BC measurements have become an industry standard, and are largely trusted more than any other source of BC data, for any bullet he tests, regardless of manufacturer.

Secondly, let's think about the purpose of the LRAB. Nosler saw a market that had several LR bullet options that come apart readily with no intentional provision for controlled expansion at high impact velocity. Nosler realized that there are many people that are very happy with how the current AB performs at close range, with the only improvement needed for LR shooters to be completely happy with it, being to increase the BC value and make sure it'll expand on long shots. They likely heard the many requests of the market for a LR bullet like the AM or VLD, but with a bonded core and jacket, the assumption being that such a bullet would offer the best of all worlds. The LRAB was marketed and interpreted by the market as being an extra sleek AB that expands at long range. The hope based on Nosler's description, was that it would still perform like a typical AB at close range, but open a bit easier at low impact velocity. They got the LR expansion right, but the old, familiar AB-esque performance up close has not come to fruition as hoped, according to many reports.

It doesn't seem to be a terrible bullet, but it's not the ultra-high BC, tough bonded LR bullet that it was initially sold as. I'll stick with the AM, which seems very similar and is much cheaper.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Coyote_Hunter it doesn't matter if they choose to report BC values to 3 significant digits, it doesn't mean they are capable of doing so. But the most amazing part is that you know Nosler's values are "wrong" without knowing how they arrived at thier numbers.

Jordan Smith you would surprised people/manufactures "believe" in, which excludes logic and rational. I doubt Nosler is very savvy on thier metrology. Both Brian and Nosler can be right or wrong depending on HOW the arrived at thier numbers.

I have no stake in the product and doubt I'd use it because I shoot on the front half of 1200 grin I do like the standard AB. I think it's funny how people get so butthurt by the claims on the box of bullets. Claims that are quite open to interpretation.

Nice chatting with you Coyote_Hunter but you just don't have the background to understand and I'd rather have a conversation that doesn't revolve around crying over the claims on a box.

Last edited by smallfry; 12/05/15.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Jordan and CH are spot-on. There's been much gnashing of teeth over the BC's of these bullets (mostly on other forums) and Litz's numbers have been shown to be inline with reality. Nosler's have not.

I just got done messing with the 7mm 168's, which ironically test out very close to Nosler's BC number, closer than any of the others I believe. I didn't have the bullet-seating issues that Dennis (hey there Dennis!) had. I got really good groups at 100 yards. For reasons I will not explore at this time, the groups went to [bleep] at 400 yards. No key holing. Just... crap.

But that's not really my issue with the whole thing. With the significant disclaimer that I have not personally killed anything with them... the overwhelming internet consensus is that they are quite soft. Lefty's report is right in line with everything else I've read. Given Nosler's claims of a performance window from "1300 fps to unlimited", that's not acceptable. They clearly have badly overstated the utility of the bullet.

Long range hunters do not lack for excellent "soft" bullets with high BC's. In my 7mm WSM heavy rifle I can pelt 12" gongs to way out there more or less at will with the 162 Amax, for instance, which is cheap, very consistent, and kills deer very well. What LR hunters do lack is high-BC bullets that will withstand high-velocity impacts on tough animal parts, every time, and hold together and penetrate and exit reliably, every time*. Please note, I didn't say "kill reliably".

This is why there was so much interest in the LRAB at the onset. The high BC paired with the performance window, both of which are hard numbers provided by Nosler, make it a unique and very desirable bullet... on paper. LR guys are not particularly tolerant of badly overstated BC's; that's like a car maker badly overstating the HP of a sports car. Enthusiasts WILL notice. So there's strike 1. Hunters in general are not tolerant of overstated "toughness" in a bullet. So, having the bullet turn out to be "soft" is a big strike 2 because what's the POINT?! We already have wonderful soft high-BC bullets.

I have a friend who essentially said what some here are saying- that hunters "should have known" it wasn't a good short-range bullet, etc. While I usually agree with him on stuff gunny, in this case I don't. The problem is that Nosler, a reputable bullet maker, put hard data (sic) in writing with regards to multiple key aspects of bullet performance, which appears to have been a blatant misrepresentation. That's not hunters being stupid, that's Nosler either lying or not doing their homework.

As a side note, I've had excellent results on deer and elk with regular Accubonds in 7mm, .30, and 8mm (elk) versions. Different bullet.

*ok, so no bullet exits "every time". You know what I mean. wink

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

99 members (14idaho, 6mmCreedmoor, Akpilot, 300_savage, 1_deuce, 13 invisible), 1,608 guests, and 831 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,516
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.