Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
C
ChipM Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
Not sure where to start this thread and figured backpack hunting would be a good start. Looking for a take down rifle for backpacking, camping, canoe trips. Pistol not an option do to out of state travel.

Who packs one and any experience appreciated

GB1

N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
I have thought about this from time to time. It would be nice to break the rifle down and carry it in the pack so as to not wig out the granola heads on the way in or out.

On the cheap side, H&R's are cheap and shoot reasonably well. Most aren't very light.

Personally I have wanted a contender carbine in something like 357 max, 35 rem, or 30.30 for a long time. They can be set up very light and here in the east I am not giving up much practical range with the contender cartridges.

The collection of taxes which are not absolutely required, which do not beyond reasonable doubt contribute to public welfare, is only a species of legalized larceny. Under this Republic the rewards of industry belong to those who earn them. Coolidge
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
What are you planning to hunt? I'm assuming big game, but that may be wrong. Multi caliber options or not?

C
ChipM Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
Not really a hunting gun but more for protection/plinking/oh no was suppose to be out 3 nights and now turned into 4. Pretty sure I know the answer, a .22 but looking to see who actually carries something like this and looking for options. Like noknees pointed out discreet but readily available

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I have an AR-7 that I bought as an adult after seeing them in "Boys Life" scouting magazine as a child. I was fascinated with the concept of a breakdown rifle that fits into its own waterproof floating stock. Its a decent "minute of rabbit" shooter and would be a godsend if you found yourself in a real survival/starvation type scenario. Other than that, pretty impractical.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

3-7-77
IC B2

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
TD 10/22 in stainless or a Marlin 39 would be my choices, with a nod to the 10/22

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have a 10/22 TD that is phenomenal. So much so my daughter just bought her own. Just as accurate as a regular 10/22 and easier to clean.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
KelTec Sub 2000 folder in 9mm or .40 cal would be my first choice, if I had to stick it in a Backpack & hide it from the Tree Hugger crowd.

First off, it's in a real defense caliber, which a .22 ain't !

Secondly, if you need it in a hurry, your not gonna have time to assemble a so called Takedown Rifle.

Third, you simply unfold the Keltec and start shooting! For a cheap gun, they are very reliable, and amazingly accurate. And they also use the uber reliable Glock magazines.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
KelTec Sub 2000 folder in 9mm or .40 cal would be my first choice, if I had to stick it in a Backpack & hide it from the Tree Hugger crowd.

Secondly, if you need it in a hurry, your not gonna have time to assemble a so called Takedown Rifle.

Third, you simply unfold the Keltec and start shooting! For a cheap gun, they are very reliable, and amazingly accurate. And they also use the uber reliable Glock magazines.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
E
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
+1 on the Rugar 10/22 Takedown.

Ed T

IC B3

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Tough to beat Zee Ruger. But the Brownings ain't bad either.

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by chlinstructor

Note this from Keltec's spec:
Trigger Pull 9 - 10lbs
They can't fix that???

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
For what you are considering how about an over and under like the older Savage 24's. .22 LR over a .410 to a centerfire round over a 20 ga.
Another considerstion might be the rifle Mule Deer has talked about, the Merkel K-1 single shot. E

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Marlin Papoose is another one to consider if you're looking at a .22

[Linked Image]

Buddy has one and rides the ski lift with it in his pack. So we can hunt blue grouse in the spring (out of ski area boundry, of course)

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I built a little contender carbine in .357 max. with 20" barrel and used it this past week deer hunting Ohio. So far I'm really pleased with the little rifle. Does about all I could need doing and is about the perfect bumming around rifle for my part of the world. Liked it enough I'm going to try and build another in stainless as funds become available.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Biathlonman
I built a little contender carbine in .357 max. with 20" barrel and used it this past week deer hunting Ohio. So far I'm really pleased with the little rifle. Does about all I could need doing and is about the perfect bumming around rifle for my part of the world. Liked it enough I'm going to try and build another in stainless as funds become available.
Did you get to put it to use? My son's killed 3 now with a 357 Mag and I've been quite impressed with how effective it is.

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
The Browning, Ruger, and Marlins are excellent and I own each of them. I especially enjoy the Browning and my Marlin 39a but if I gotta carry it the Marlin Papoose is my choice hands down. It's light and accurate with decent firepower, the trouble is the Papoose just isn't as common as the 10/22.

If you have an AR you may want to look into either an dedicated 22lr upper or an CMMG bolt mag conversion. It to can be taken down.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
My choice would be a Browning BLR take down model in the caliber that best fit my needs. My brother has on in a 7mm-08 that is accurate and packs fairly small and you can use it with or without a scope. Probably not the lightest but, would best fit my needs for pretty much anything I would hunt from varmint to deer and maybe even elk in a pinch.

Start young, hunt hard, and enjoy God's bounty.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Since we are not talking about .22 any more, how about this? Deer, elk , bears, Chevrolets, buildings, its got you covered.

[Linked Image]

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

3-7-77
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Yep, that would work too, but ammo may be a bit expensive and, it might be a bit of OVERKILL for smaller game if you are a meat hunter. Otherwise….I'm sure it would probably provide a really fun "hunting" experience.

Start young, hunt hard, and enjoy God's bounty.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

121 members (44mc, 7x57Hunter, 10Glocks, 7887mm08, 808outdoors, 21, 13 invisible), 1,628 guests, and 735 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,280
Posts18,467,688
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.