Print Thread
Hop To
S
Sgt5 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Wanted to do this hunt a couple years ago but guys on this forum cautioned against it because of the tough winters , so any word on what to expect in 2016.
Thanks......Sarge

GB1

J
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
J
Considering they probably have until April for spring conditions to arive its a touch early to say for sure and even if winter is short and mild one winter won't return us to our heyday but it will help.

S
Sgt5 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Thanks it has been about 2 years since I inquired, just weighing my options Thanks again ......Sarge

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Wow, winter hasn't even started in Northern Saskatchewan. Daytime temperatures have been above above freezing for the most part.

We have a cabin at Candle Lake within a game preserve and the deer numbers have been low for the past 3 years. PM me in June if we are seeing any number of fawns will be a good indicator of how the winter was.

Flyer

L
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
Sarge, last winter was a pretty darn good one here in Sask. This year is shaping up to be a real gem. It's just what the doctor ordered for our ungulate friends. This weather is supposed to hold till the 3rd week in Dec. The deer haven't been stressed at all yet. This particular sub species are extremely resilient and are hard wired for 5-6 months of winter. This year is shaping up to be a 3-4 month winter.
Yes, another year or two like this is needed to get numbers up to historical averages but there are some real hogs being shot across the province this year. Next year will be good.
We had 5 returning fellows from PA come up and hunt in the second week of Nov. They all shot pretty decent deer.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by lagerboy; 12/07/15.
IC B2

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I'd wait for a few more years, and hope for more mild winters. There are a few pockets with decent populations, and vast areas where you're lucky to even see a deer. A few nice deer get taken by a lucky few. This guy likes walking around the farm at night.

[Linked Image]

Life begins at 40. Recoil begins at "Over 40" Coincidence? I don't think so.
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Some areas have good numbers, but not everywhere. Like others wrote, so far this winter is mild. but it is too early to tell how they'll do/

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I went this year and FWIW - I saw a crap ton of deer compared to last year. Saw 13 bucks in one day, mostly 2.5y old deer with a lot of potential. Where I go is very far west, almost in Alberta.

I saw more sets of twin fawns than I've ever seen in my life this year. I saw two sets of triplets. If this winter continues to be mild, it could be pretty good next year. I'm going back - even a bad year there is much better than a good year at home.

I posted my hunt story in Deer hunting if you are interested.

S
Sgt5 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Thanks to all who added to this thread your comments will help me determine at what time to book a hunt.
The winter down here in the states seems to be one that will be quite mild. Hope it is the same north of the border.
thanks......Sarge

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Here are a couple pics from our "horn" measuring at the Saskatchewan Wildlife Federation club in our small village in central Sask. There were a few pretty nice deer taken this year, and a smattering of elk, moose, etc. The second pic is of the best local WT buck. It came from my brother's land, shot by a friend who just happened to be in the right place at the right time. The third pic is the eatin' size buck I shot this year, the last pic is of a buck that my son shot, antlers not so big but well over 300 lbs live wt. So have hope for next year, it's getting better as we continue to recover from those bad winters!
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Glad to see a little more bone there this year!
I recall last year was a little light.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Now that its February its safe to say that the whitetail have wintered well. The weather could still turn but realistically it can't get bad enough long enough to do much damage. Numbers still aren't great anywhere, but it will jump up the age structure on the bucks that there are.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Yeah buddy, looks like you all had a good trip.

Saskatchewan could be a hoot, I've always thought I'd like to hunt Alberta. I should look into it more.

Congratulations.

Randy
NRA
Patriot Life Benefactor

S
Sgt5 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Still early but anyone herd or seen any upswing in antler size or population increase ?
Thanks.....Sarge

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Fawn crop looks good. My main area was one of the little pockets that weren't affected too badly during the brutal years due to winter feeding. Age structure is improving. Last winter was mild, and weather would have taken few. Wolf activity is fairly high, and that isn't doing any ungulates in the forest fringe any favors. Hudson Bay area seems pretty light for deer when I was out for moose last week.

I hasn't paid much attention to my bait cameras, but it seems like the bison are liking them.

There was an early snow fall that melted in the south and east, but is beginning to look like its going to stay in thecentral forest fringe. A lot of crops are going to stay out. Good for survival, not so good for guided hunters who are primarily working off of bait.

S
Sgt5 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Thanks Model70Guy , anyone else ?

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F

We saw more Bucks then Does with Fawns at Candle Lake this summer. Population seems to have improved somewhat.

This fellow was hanging around eating my wifes roses, begging for apples.

He's only about 15 feet from the grill in these pics....

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Nice, wouldn't have to drag him that far.

Beautiful property.

DF

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

549 members (007FJ, 160user, 10gaugemag, 1lesfox, 11point, 12344mag, 45 invisible), 2,543 guests, and 1,221 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,360
Posts18,468,975
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.