Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by gunner500
Originally Posted by tex_n_cal
I need to shoot a spike this month, but I sure do feel silly shooting a 100 lb deer with a 500 grain bullet blush

But there is a big sow wandering around the lease, with a couple litters. I could try to line up 3 in a row... smile

Do it Tex, no shame, heck, I've shot a couple Oklahoma armadillos with a 577 Nitro. blush, they don't care. grin
I killed a couple of armadillos the other night with a 94-22. They are tough little buggers. These two were fair sized. My fifteen-year-old daughter hauled them and a possum I also killed with it, off for me and a danged armadillo jumped out at her as she was dumping them. I could kill at least one varmint every night here.

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

They may over-penetrate on gophers...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Great pictures! Those old lever guns are awesome!

Semper Fi
G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Worked my ass completely off and came up empty this time, the reward can sometimes be found in the exhaustion smile, it was great fun nonetheless and I'll be back for another hard round soon.

Thanks for all the well wishes Men.

Trump Won!
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Hunting in a monsoon can be tough. At least you were out in it trying.

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Worked my ass completely off and came up empty this time, the reward can sometimes be found in the exhaustion smile, it was great fun nonetheless and I'll be back for another hard round soon.

Thanks for all the well wishes Men.
You just needed 5 more grains of BP.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I'm looking somewhat fondly over at an '86 in '45-90, Browning Utah marked, '88 SN that looks to have been part of the Pleasant Valley War.
All of the Tewksberry (The Sheepherders) outfit were issued em', or so the story goes. Does the HB carved into the front of the right stock comb signify that it saw scabbard carry with the "One Armed Hamp (Hamp Blevins) Gang", a division of the Tewksberry factions ? If so there's a lot of yarns it could spin. I aim to find out.
This ones a keeper, and requires some MAJOR TLC, looks like it's muzzle was blown up / off, and some bozo hacked it down into a shorter half magazine configuration. The original barrel's to be re-extended and sleeved,and re-chambered for the 2.4" case, next Summer, Lord willin'. An 18 twist liner will take it out of the "express rifle" area, and let me get into that 1050 FPS / 500 gr + realm that I like , too.

Beside it sits an almost minty modern replica, sadly not the Browning in flavor,....rather that Winchester number in .45-70 that requires a some retrograde mods, "De-Lawyer Proofing" as it were. Damn fine rifle regardless,....Miroku builds a fine arm. It's a take down #, fitted with a Lyman 66 peek hole rear sight.

I don't play in the classifieds, If any of you died in the wool types have an interest in this replica, gimme a shout,...2 of em' are just too damned heavy to pack, and I KNOW which one I'm going to carry the most.The full conversion to a true half cock set up is a snap, requiring a Browning Trigger and Hammer. Elimination of that stupid rebound hammer feature is an afternoon project requiring some screwdrivers, and a file, and will probably happen the next time my shop's not masquerading as a meat locker.

Merry Christmas, Dark Siders !

GTC

Last edited by crossfireoops; 12/15/15.

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by sharpsguy
Hunting in a monsoon can be tough. At least you were out in it trying.

Saturday was dry briars, Sunday was WET WET, did have a yearling doe in the sights on Saturday, let her walk, then no buck, had a tag left for either a buck or doe in that zone. smile

Trump Won!
G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Would that be a '76 in 45-75 EE? Very nice!

Trump Won!
G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by crossfireoops
I'm looking somewhat fondly over at an '86 in '45-90, Browning Utah marked, '88 SN that looks to have been part of the Pleasant Valley War.
All of the Tewksberry (The Sheepherders) outfit were issued em', or so the story goes. Does the HB carved into the front of the right stock comb signify that it saw scabbard carry with the "One Armed Hamp (Hamp Blevins) Gang", a division of the Tewksberry factions ? If so there's a lot of yarns it could spin. I aim to find out.
This ones a keeper, and requires some MAJOR TLC, looks like it's muzzle was blown up / off, and some bozo hacked it down into a shorter half magazine configuration. The original barrel's to be re-extended and sleeved,and re-chambered for the 2.4" case, next Summer, Lord willin'. An 18 twist liner will take it out of the "express rifle" area, and let me get into that 1050 FPS / 500 gr + realm that I like , too.

Beside it sits an almost minty modern replica, sadly not the Browning in flavor,....rather that Winchester number in .45-70 that requires a some retrograde mods, "De-Lawyer Proofing" as it were. Damn fine rifle regardless,....Miroku builds a fine arm. It's a take down #, fitted with a Lyman 66 peek hole rear sight.

I don't play in the classifieds, If any of you died in the wool types have an interest in this replica, gimme a shout,...2 of em' are just too damned heavy to pack, and I KNOW which one I'm going to carry the most.The full conversion to a true half cock set up is a snap, requiring a Browning Trigger and Hammer. Elimination of that stupid rebound hammer feature is an afternoon project requiring some screwdrivers, and a file, and will probably happen the next time my shop's not masquerading as a meat locker.

GTC

A hell of a project in the works indeed Cross, I ever get out that way for pleasure, would love to stop by and view your wares over coffee [or stronger] and conversation.

Trump Won!
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

I have a 2nd year 1886 40-65 made in 1887 stamped "Browning Bros". It is also a single set trigger rifle...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
That single set was a popular option,...IIRC all the same basic guts as the one fitted to the "Walls", but with a longer sear engagement nose.
....been driven completely around the bend repairing that minute "hook" in em',....more than once.
Q. Did Win. ever fit those "Close Coupled" sets to the lever guns ?

GTC

-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The 86 (at least in its original form) was a smooth, well made gun. But I never have stumbled across one that was both affordable and desirable (at least when I had the money to buy one). Looked hard at a couple of Mirokus, but I usually migrate back to a single shot.

Still want a Model 71 Deluxe, even if they aren't BPCR. Same deal - affordable and desirable. smile

And yeah, I need to make it out to Cross' place, myself smile

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
It's with some amazement that I reflect on the small HERDS of beat up old 86's covered tables at the Calgary and Kalispell Gunshows half a lifetime back,...and that a really GOOD one could be had for $500.
Good originals certainly fall well outside of my range, but good horse trades are another realm,....
The replicas have good potential, and appear to be priced within reason,...as noted, retrofitting them into slicker and more original form IS eminently do-able.

[Linked Image]

Finds like the one pictured below just seem to come along and fall on one, every now and than.I can hear it whispering to that old 10 ga. Guard's Gun in the safe.

Researching and studying the "Pleasant Valley War(s)", and "One Armed Hamp" is going to keep me out of bars,....and anybody that's well up to speed on the "Hamp Blevins Gang",...well, YOUR input would sure be welcomed.

[Linked Image]

A good HALF the fun of messing around with these historic pelters is discussing their provenance, ...whether documented, or just centered around speculation founded in historic facts.

Any and all with the notion of dropping in,...gate's closed, but not locked.

GTC

G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G
A 40-65 is on my hit list Schrap, either a '74 Sharps or '86 Winchester, nice piece there.

Trump Won!
G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by tex_n_cal
The 86 (at least in its original form) was a smooth, well made gun. But I never have stumbled across one that was both affordable and desirable (at least when I had the money to buy one). Looked hard at a couple of Mirokus, but I usually migrate back to a single shot.

Still want a Model 71 Deluxe, even if they aren't BPCR. Same deal - affordable and desirable. smile

And yeah, I need to make it out to Cross' place, myself smile

Have wanted one for decades Tex, this '86 is a 24" half round half octagon rifle with beautiful wood, someone rubbed the wood down with raw linseed oil, but I don't care, I had to have it, best I can measure it has a 20 twist and easily stabilizes the 500 gr Jerry Dean flat nosed greaser.

Have killed a few deer and pigs with this bullet at a bit more speed in my Sharps, but I believe at 1236 fps from this '86 results will be the same, dead critters and no recovered bullets, although I dont have the great ranging capabilities with this lever action as I do with my Sharps, it's still a fine sub 125 yard hunting rifle, both to carry and shoot.

Trump Won!
G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G
The old guns have a very strong appeal Cross, and yes, provenance is very interesting to research or receive as lore or historical events, even from clouded memories from oldtimers, I listen intently regardless when blessed by a few hours of camp talk. smile

Can't wait to see pics and read detail of your progress, and onto completion of these works.

Gunner

Trump Won!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A 40-65 is on my hit list Schrap, either a '74 Sharps or '86 Winchester, nice piece there.

I have another 40-65 marked W.F. Sheard Livingston, Montana. They are great to shoot and don't beat you up. The 40-65 will still completely penetrate a deer...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Would that be a '76 in 45-75 EE? Very nice!
Uberti flavor. I have seen some pretty nice originals but they would be exceedingly high-dollar.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

GTC
Merry Christmas to you too Cross.

Years ago when I bought my original '86, the old boy had two of them. The other was a very fancy inlaid and engraved model in 45-90. It was some higher than my gun, but I don't remember it being extremely expensive. Of course the engraving and stuff was probably newish, but you never know. I think the receiver was even silver plated. It had a pewter-ish look to it with gold plated deers and such. I wish I had it, but it probably would have went down the river on some stupid gun I had to have at the time, so...

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

68 members (ATC, 808outdoors, 10gaugemag, 444Matt, 11 invisible), 2,204 guests, and 730 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,279
Posts18,467,670
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.