Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 6 10 11
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
You're welcome! The large type was Eileen's idea, since many of our readers (like us) are getting to be of a certain age.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
You are going to have to write more books. Cause I read thru them way to fast. Good job on the book.

I've always been different with one foot over the line.....
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by 7mmMato
You are going to have to write more books. Cause I read thru them way to fast. Good job on the book.

John:

I haven't ordered "Gack" yet but I will once things slow down a bit, especially since the Ingwe Special has been given a new lease on life by helping to manage Florida's feral hog population. I'm assuming you have included a chapter or so on this classic cartridge.

Anyway, I agree with 7mmMato: you need to write more, most specifically a book on your African adventures. Africana, both old and new, scratches a lot of itches. Just sayin'....

RM

"An archer sees how far he can be from a target and still hit it, a bowhunter sees how close he can get before he shoots." It is certainly easy to use that same line of thinking with firearms. -- Unknown
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
7mmMato,

Glad you like it!

Generally, we try to alternate books: Eileen will write one every other year, and I'll do one in the alternate years. Doesn't always work out that way, but that's what we try to do--so next year's her turn.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Mike,

Probably won't do an African book because, quite frankly, "hunting story" books don't sell all that well compared to "hunting gear" books. Or at least they haven't in recent years.

Back in the 1990's books of hunting and fishing stories did at least as well as technical gear books, if not better, but times have changed. THE LIFE OF THE HUNT has sold okay over the past 20 years, but BORN TO HUNT (which many people think is as good, if not better) has barely broken even. They both keep selling, but not nearly as well as books on handloading, rifles or optics.

John Steinbeck
IC B2

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Well, now I have two more to order and I see y'all sell them as a combo. By the way, your books sit beside Corbett's on the bookshelf...and his story books have sold pretty well. whistle

"An archer sees how far he can be from a target and still hit it, a bowhunter sees how close he can get before he shoots." It is certainly easy to use that same line of thinking with firearms. -- Unknown
ingwe Offline OP
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
My sister, the eastern liberal, thinks " Born to Hunt" should be required reading for anti-hunters. Yes...its THAT good! grin

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Thanks, Tom. If we ever have to reprint LIFE OF THE HUNT may just add your sister's comment to the list of recommendations on the back cover!

John Steinbeck
N
NTG Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
My copy of "Big Gack" was under the tree! Very good read thus far, however, I really don't see this "youngun" ever getting excited about the 25-20, but who knows!?!

Good stuff, John. Thanks!

Last edited by NTG; 12/28/15.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Biggest problem with this book is now I need a 35 whelen, a 257 bob to go along with my 250/3000's.A .270 because that is all I really need. A 6.5 creed to do what my 6.5-06 will be able to do. And I need to hunt with my 7mm Rem Mag because it will do it all. And I have never owned a .30-06 how did that happen? I may need a second job by the the time I finish this book.

I've always been different with one foot over the line.....
IC B3

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Originally Posted by ingwe
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Hi Nate,

Glad you like the book!

A small group dipped into the Templeton Rye last night, but there's still about an inch left in the bottle. Or at least there was when I left....

Its gone now...... whistle

I have no idea what the hell you guys are talking about..... whistle

But I think I've found more; by a fencepost of course.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Thanks, Tom. If we ever have to reprint LIFE OF THE HUNT may just add your sister's comment to the list of recommendations on the back cover!

Hey John:

When I order it, do you think you can get Ingwe's sister to autograph it too?

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Great book! Excellent writing of course, and loads of usable information.

Highly recommended to buy.

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Ok, so if I don't reload, how useful will this book be? I generally enjoy John's writing but if a large portion is about reloading, then I may pass. What say you?

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by jedgreen
Ok, so if I don't reload, how useful will this book be? I generally enjoy John's writing but if a large portion is about reloading, then I may pass. What say you?

Knowledge, no matter how esoteric, is a good thing. Yes, it is geared toward the handloader but is chock-a-block full of attendant gun info and hunting lore. Something there for everyone, and I defy anyone to read it and say he didn't learn something new- no matter how experienced or jaded he may be! (Besides, John is an accomplished wordsmith and he could write about chrysanthemum genetics and I would pay attention! smile )

Last edited by gnoahhh; 12/30/15.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
ingwe Offline OP
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle

Not as much about reloading per se as you might think. The book is well worth the price as a read....

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Get the book, read it, and it might just cause a reloading itch that you will want to scratch! Even if you don't reload, the book is filled with info useful to any rifleman.

If we live long enough, we all have regrets. But the ones that nag at us the most are the ones in which we know we had a choice.

Doug
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Mike,

Probably won't do an African book because, quite frankly, "hunting story" books don't sell all that well compared to "hunting gear" books. Or at least they haven't in recent years.

Back in the 1990's books of hunting and fishing stories did at least as well as technical gear books, if not better, but times have changed. THE LIFE OF THE HUNT has sold okay over the past 20 years, but BORN TO HUNT (which many people think is as good, if not better) has barely broken even. They both keep selling, but not nearly as well as books on handloading, rifles or optics.

John;
Good morning to you and Eileen, I trust the holidays have been treating you folks well.

I'm not sure what to think about your results with two of my all time favorite hunting books John. Honestly I've lost track of how many times I recommend them when I'm teaching the BC Hunter Safety CORE course each spring.

Them and of course "Meditations on Hunting" rank up there as a good foundation for apologetic discourse as to why some of us are drawn to hunt.

Anyway sir, Happy New Year to you both and all the best in 2016.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

M
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
M
Great book John. It will be right next to my Pet Loads volumes and one that I reach for frequently. In fact it goes to the slope with me now every trip so I'll have some good reading while I'm up there for three weeks.

Chronographs, bore scopes and pattern boards have broke a lot of hearts.
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
I received my book for Christmas from Rock Chucker .What a great gift.

Page 4 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 6 10 11

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

612 members (10gaugeman, 12344mag, 10ring1, 1337Fungi, 1941USMC, 16penny, 58 invisible), 2,642 guests, and 1,120 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,310
Posts18,468,202
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.