Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 11 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 10 11
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I'm patiently waiting for my copy to arrive. Laid up with one hand but I can read and learn. I'm more excited than Richard Simmons with a wheel borrow full of buttholes!

Nobody's right if everybody's wrong.
Getting into reloading to save money is like getting married for free sex.
BP-B2

jpb Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by DaveinWV
I'm patiently waiting for my copy to arrive. Laid up with one hand but I can read and learn. I'm more excited than Richard Simmons with a wheel borrow full of buttholes!

Geez, thanks for THAT mental image! eek sick grin

John

J
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
J
I got my copy of Gack at Christmas, but am just now getting around to starting it. So far it have liked it very much.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Always good to hear that....

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
J
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
J
Just ordered mine and a copy of Slice of The Wild. Am anxiously awaiting their arrival!

IC B2

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
My copy arrived today. I've read the first two chapters and told my wife this book has already paid for itself.

Nobody's right if everybody's wrong.
Getting into reloading to save money is like getting married for free sex.
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I've really enjoyed my autographed copy of GACK. And boy, was I surprised to find a chapter on the old .25-20. I am the 4th generation owner of a Winchester M92 bought by my great grandfather around 1907 and passed down through the family, where it now resides in my gun safe. The bluing and the bore aren't top-notch, but my father used it to kill a small whitetail buck around 1939, when he was barely a teenager. I will pass it on like those who went before me, and it will never leave our family. At least that is my fervent hope.

I have a question for John (and others). You wrote that you have settled on 26.0/TAC/50gr Nosler BT as your go-to recipe for varmints in the .223. I have long used 26.5/H335 behind the same bullet, but I plan to switch to TAC down the road because of its cleaner-burning characteristics.

Do you have a similar go-to combo for the .22-250? I'm a bit old school in that I still carry a .22-250 along on my PD hunts for a change of pace. I generally shoot the 50 NBTs here as well along with the occasional 52 Sierra HPs. FWIW, I've probably culled more Texas whitetail does with the 63 Sierra semi-pointed out of the Varminter than any other bullet by a wide margin, and that's out of a 14" twist barrel.

None of my PD buddies bother with the .22-250 anymore, so I'm the last one carrying the flag. There has to be a few of us left that are still shooting sod poodles with the .22-250. What load, if any, have you found to be nearly universal in several with the Varminter?

I was hoarding when hoarding wasn't cool.
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Dawaba,

Glad you're liking the book!

Back when I loaded all my rifle ammo with three powders, which sounds like a big deal but isn't when you only load for a few rifles, my standard load in the .22-250 was around 36 grains of IMR4895. (The other two powders were IMR4350 and H4831.) It normally shot well and got around 3700 fps from a 24" barrel.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
N
NTG Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
John,

Are these loads for the 52gr pill...? I'd assume, but best to know for sure. Thanks.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
I used it with everything from 52-55, usually 55's.

John Steinbeck
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Why is it that every shootingfishingwoodworkinghuntingcarhouseboat book I buy is just the tip of the iceberg that leads to more spending? cry

The BBoGG is no exception. To be fair, I had the concentricity gauge but the TruAngle tool is new.

[Linked Image]

If something on the internet makes you angry the odds are you're being manipulated
M
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
M
I was really enjoying the book. Then, I started reading the .308 chapter and realized the author skipped right over .29. What's up with that? I feel cheated!

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
I considered including the B-29, but my editor/publisher talked me out of it....

John Steinbeck
M
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
I considered including the B-29, but my editor/publisher talked me out of it....

Would O'Connor have not talked about the .270? Or, Keith the .44? Think of all those .29 aficionados starved for info for their rifles! ( Oh, and thanks for another great book).

N
NTG Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
B-29...why would you talk about airplanes in a gun book? Oh, wait, it had guns on it! I get it! 50BMG, M2, 20mm...where's the chapter on them? wink

Last edited by NTG; 01/21/16.
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Hi John:

I just got back from a conference in Orlando and found the books I ordered had arrived, safe and sound as usual. Many thanks to Eileen who, I assume, is the shipping department. As soon as I finish Bror Blixen's biography, I plan to start your two books on "the hunt" (packaging them together is a good idea, by the way). I also read a couple of chapters of "Gack." Good stuff! I see why Ingwe started this thread.

One of the comments you made in the chapter on the .280 Remington raised a question in my mind. You mention that the 120 grain NBT has a beefed up jacket that helps it stay together and has turned it into a respectable medium/big game bullet. Did Nosler do that with all of the non-varmint ballistic tips, i.e., beef up the jackets a bit? The only one you mentioned in the "Gack" chapter is the 120. The reason I'm asking is that I ran across a bunch of 150 grain BTs (actually, Ballistic Silver Tips) and plan to use them on pigs, some of which can get to be pretty danged big, and even though the ranges aren't terribly long (all well below 100 yards) I still need something that will hold together a bit but at the same time create enough damage to assure that whatever I hit - in the right place, of course - is DRT. There's almost no way to track something in the terrain I hunt. Here's an example of what I'm talking about. That palmetto behind me is solid for almost a mile. I'm finding that monos are just a tad too tough to create the cup-and-core wound channels I like.

[Linked Image]

Thanks, as always.

RM

"An archer sees how far he can be from a target and still hit it, a bowhunter sees how close he can get before he shoots." It is certainly easy to use that same line of thinking with firearms. -- Unknown
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Mike,

In general Nosler has beefed up the jackets of most non-varmint Ballistic Tips, except for those that always had very heavy jackets, such as the 200-grain .338.

The 7mm 150 Ballistic Tip has basically the same jacket geometry as the 120, so the base of the jacket is just as heavy. Both penetrate quite well, but the 150 has a higher percentage of core, so usually creates more shrapnel and hence more interior damage. It sure might be the perfect compromise for your pig shooting.

Eileen is indeed the shipping department, along with a number of other jobs, though when things get hectic she sometimes uses an assistant, but he needs pretty constant supervision.

John Steinbeck
M
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by msquared
Originally Posted by Mule Deer

Would O'Connor have not talked about the .270? Or, Keith the .44? Think of all those .29 aficionados starved for info for their rifles! ( Oh, and thanks for another great book).

OK, I just got to the section on the B-29. I feel much better now! The book has a happy ending!

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Ah, yes, the epilogue!

John Steinbeck
ingwe Offline OP
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by RevMike
Hi John:

I just got back from a conference in Orlando and found the books I ordered had arrived, safe and sound as usual. Many thanks to Eileen who, I assume, is the shipping department. As soon as I finish Bror Blixen's biography, I plan to start your two books on "the hunt" (packaging them together is a good idea, by the way). I also read a couple of chapters of "Gack." Good stuff! I see why Ingwe started this thread.

One of the comments you made in the chapter on the .280 Remington raised a question in my mind. You mention that the 120 grain NBT has a beefed up jacket that helps it stay together and has turned it into a respectable medium/big game bullet. Did Nosler do that with all of the non-varmint ballistic tips, i.e., beef up the jackets a bit? The only one you mentioned in the "Gack" chapter is the 120. The reason I'm asking is that I ran across a bunch of 150 grain BTs (actually, Ballistic Silver Tips) and plan to use them on pigs, some of which can get to be pretty danged big, and even though the ranges aren't terribly long (all well below 100 yards) I still need something that will hold together a bit but at the same time create enough damage to assure that whatever I hit - in the right place, of course - is DRT. There's almost no way to track something in the terrain I hunt. Here's an example of what I'm talking about. That palmetto behind me is solid for almost a mile. I'm finding that monos are just a tad too tough to create the cup-and-core wound channels I like.

[Linked Image]

Thanks, as always.

RM

Damn!

Thats a good looking rifle! grin

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Page 6 of 11 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 10 11

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
303 members (257_X_50, 10gaugemag, 280shooter, 204guy, 29aholic, 30Gibbs, 43 invisible), 2,165 guests, and 1,040 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,725
Posts18,400,614
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.