Hop To
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
B
BH63 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
Have any of you ever had a gun, that hurt you so bad upon firing, that you didn't like to shoot it?

When I was about 14, I bought a Stevens 20-gauge with a cracked stock. I used that gun for squirrel hunting, and it was painful to shoot. I eventually bought a new stock and had it installed by a gunsmith. Within just a few shots, that stock cracked as well.

Since then, I have shot a lot of guns up to and including a .416 Rem Mag, and have never had a problem with recoil (although I generally limit myself to about 10 shots with the .416 RM when shooting from a bench at the range).

What gun do you have or remember that "hurt like h-ll" to shoot?

BH63

BP-B2

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I shot a 375 one time and a 460 twice. Never again! I also love it when people say recoil doesn't bother them. Go to the range with them and have them shoot that canon a couple times, then load it for them with an empty chamber and watch how much recoil doesn't bother them...

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
I'm a lefty and I shot a friends right handed 378 Weatherby
once. The combination of the speed of the recoil impulse and the comb of the stock combined to make that the worst recoil event of my life. I didn't want to shoot it again.

I'm with Shrapnel. Big Bores loaded to their potential need to be treated with respect.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
an 8 bore loaded with a round ball and 250 gr of black powder was fairly rough. Though I think I could eventually get used to shooting it. Now the .577 Nitro - one shot made my teeth hurt. crazy No!

I have a Ruger #1 in .475 Turnbull, which is a fairly light rifle, given its C barrel contour. with scope it's only a hair over 9 lbs, and can be loaded close to a .470 Nitro.

So I think my recoil limit is probably somewhere north of a .470 Nitro, and south of a .577 blush

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I had a "Coach Gun" 12 gauge. 20" barrels, exposed hammers, double triggers.
One time I called in some crows and when it was all over the trigger guard was filling up with blood. (Mine)

Wwhelennut

I like to do my hunting BEFORE I pull the trigger!
There is only one kind of dead, but there are many different kinds of wounded.
IC B2

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
My Encore with the 12 gauge slug barrel. I use a 3" Breneke Magnum Crush. The slug is 1 1/2 oz. and shoots 1600fps. When I first bought this barrel, not knowing any better, I put a regular riffle scope on it with a 3" eye relief. The first time I shot at a deer with it, I had blood running down my face. The second deer I shot with it, I had blood running down my face. I took a buddy of mine to the range to shoot it and it broke his glasses in half and he had blood running down his face.

Needless to say, I did a little research, and figured out that they make slug scopes. Now I have a Nikon Slug Hunter with a 5" eye relief. It'll still ding you if you don't watch out.

A couple of weeks ago I took it to the range to make sure it's OK and 5 rounds was enough for me. If I'm using it while hunting, I get so jacked up, I don't even feel it though. Of course I'm only running one round at a time.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

"Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem."
Ronald Reagan
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Several years ago, a friend bought a Ruger #1 in 416 Remington. I shot that rifle on several occasions and found the recoil was too much after a few rounds. It was a beautiful rifle, just more recoil than I care to handle.

Last edited by TNrifleman; 12/11/15.

μολὼν λαβέ
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Originally Posted by TNrifleman
Several years ago, a friend bought a Ruger #1 in 416 Remington. I shot that rifle on several occasions and found the recoil was too much after a few rounds. It was a beautiful rifle, just more recoil than I care to handle.

A Ruger #1 is a horrible rifle for heavy cartridges. A Number 1 in .458 I shot was murder compared to a .460 but stock shape is not generic and suited to everyone. You really need to find the stock design that suits your build.

For me, it is Monte Carlo for heavy magnums and for the little stuff, it matters less as I also like Winchester Featherweights even with their classic stocks.

For Medium Magnums, again, Monte Carlo in Model 70 or Weatherby.
John

When truth is ignored, it does not change an untruth from remaining a lie.
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
I've owned two .458WM rifles, one custom, one Ruger 77, neither bothered me. Crossfireoops' 8Bore with 240gr of Fg was a handful and so was RIO7's .460 Howell, but they aren't obnoxious.

I shot tex_n_cal's #1 .458WM and I don't want to do that again.

Another friend of mine had a Remington 700 in .30-06 in a 1st Generation Bell & Carlson stock and that thing flat out hurt to shoot.

Stock design, proper gun mount, knowing how to roll with the recoil make all the difference in the world. grin

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

M
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
M
Had a single shot Stevens 20 gauge like the original poster said. It hurt. A lot. And a 308 Remington 798. And a tc omega. I am starting to think it's all in the stock design.

I can shoot my dad's 270wsm with no issues and I am sure it kicks harder than the 308 did. No problems with that one.

IC B3

M
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
M
I can take the kick. It isn't my shoulder that hurts it's my head. I get nasty recoil headaches that last all day if I go much above 243 or 257 bob

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by mjbgalt
I can take the kick. It isn't my shoulder that hurts it's my head....

Same here. The proviso is that the rifle weight is appropriate for the cartridge. I've fired a light 458WM and it hurt my head and shoulder.

Originally Posted by mauserand9mm
Originally Posted by mauserand9mm
Originally Posted by Raspy
Whatever you said...everyone knows you are a lying jerk.

That's a bold assertion. Point out where you think I lied.

Well?
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Yes it bothers me; I have to really focus to shoot well. I can shoot my 375 ok but not as well as my Classic 30-06. I don't know if it is me or the rifle, maybe both. My pre-64 featherweight is down right uncomfortable for me, though the recoil isn't particularly stout. That relatively sharp comb hammers my cheekbone every time and that metal but plate does the same thing to my bony shoulder. If I pad up, no problem.

I have a 20 gauge Francotte that is just over 5 lbs, sharp of comb and way too short for me. Unless I do everthing just right, my thumb comes back and gives me a fat lip.

The most unpleasant recoil ever for me, however, was a 454 Casull with stout loads in a relatively short barreled revolver. Lots of blast, lots of flash and my bony hand hurt for an hour. (Anybody sensing a pattern about bones and recoil?)

It really does come down to stock fit. It is different for everyone.

pal Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Shooting the .460 WBY Mag gave me a flinch. eek

"There's more to optics than meets the eye."--anon

"...most of us would be better off losing half a pound around the waist than half a pound on our rifle."--dhg

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
If the gun doesn't fit you, or if the stock isn't shaped for the recoil generated by the cartridge/caliber involved, it will be unpleasant. Recoil bothers everybody, but smaller caliber rounds and limiting shots taken with larger ones help reduce it. A plastic stocked 7mm STW, .375 H&H model 70 and shooting .416 Rigby without a PAST pad hurt me. (I found out long ago I flinch for noise, so I double protect.)

Last edited by agazain; 12/11/15.
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by shrapnel
I shot a 375 one time and a 460 twice. Never again! I also love it when people say recoil doesn't bother them. Go to the range with them and have them shoot that canon a couple times, then load it for them with an empty chamber and watch how much recoil doesn't bother them...

Yes. Recoil bothers me. I can, and have become accustomed to it, but a .375 seems to be my upper limit. Never shot anything above that that I enjoyed. Also discovered if I don't shoot the big stuff very regularly, "becoming accustomed " to it goes away. eek
I no longer hunt game large enough to require large calibers and even a moderate cartridge seems excessive, recoil wise.

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Recoil damn sure bugs me, and an ill fitting rifle will amplify it many times. My worst was a Rem 700 Classic in .338 Win Mag. Horrible kicker(for me). Used it one season, on a black bear and a couple deer, and sold it. The other was a Rem 700 Safari KS .375 H&H with a 20" tube. Way too light for a .375. Viscous best describes the recoil! Unlike some, I find the Ruger No.1 fits me great, and have no problems with my 450 #2, or 450/400.

No matter the cartridge, stock fit is numero uno! IMO.

Jeff

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
The heaviest recoiling long gun that I have shot is my Ruger#1 in 458WinMag. I tapped out after firing 3 rounds of 350gr @ 2400fps, and 3 rounds of 400gr @ 2350fps. That 30yr old, solid rubber recoil "pad" on the Ruger isn't very effective when shooting on a concrete bench in a T-shirt. It was painful enough that I probably won't be taking it to the range again.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by akjeff
Recoil damn sure bugs me, and an ill fitting rifle will amplify it many times. My worst was a Rem 700 Classic in .338 Win Mag. Horrible kicker(for me). Used it one season, on a black bear and a couple deer, and sold it. The other was a Rem 700 Safari KS .375 H&H with a 20" tube. Way too light for a .375. Viscous best describes the recoil! Unlike some, I find the Ruger No.1 fits me great, and have no problems with my 450 #2, or 450/400.

No matter the cartridge, stock fit is numero uno! IMO.

Jeff

I notice you didn't mention your handloads in your Marlin 1895. grin

Recoil induced memory loss, maybe? laugh

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by pal
Shooting the .460 WBY Mag gave me a flinch. eek

Ya think? I have a bad right shoulder and am prone to headaches. I reckon the hardest hitting gun I ever fired was a ported Guide Gun 45-70 shoving a 405 grain bullet at max speeds. Then perhaps a Remington 7600 35 Whelen and a 225 gr bullet. We had to qualify with a Winchester Model 70 375 H&H hen I was on the MP force in Kodiak. It didn't seem too offensive. These days my 30-06 Ruger Ultralight with light for caliber bullets is all I am willing to endure.

That 460 is like getting hit in the shoulder by a tractor trailer truck I imagine.

Last edited by PaulBarnard; 12/12/15.
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
660 members (10gaugemag, 12344mag, 160user, 10gaugeman, 10Glocks, 12308300, 60 invisible), 3,131 guests, and 1,257 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,742
Posts18,401,190
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.