Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 10 11
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Bighorn
Also note that in their current data, they list a max. load for RL22 and the 100 gr. TSX at 69 grains.

Myself, and I suspect many others who shoot the .257 Wby, have been loading 72 gr. for years, with success.

The old Weatherby Guides, last published in 1985 was (is) a great source of load data, as they always cited pressure and factory equivalent loads using Norma MRP which is the twin of RL-22. The data there lists 71.3 grains of MRP for a factory equivalent load for the 100grain load and it's spot on on all three of my 257 Weatherbys, two MKVx and one Howa. I've also been able to duplicate the 300, 340 & 7mm Weatherby almost to a tee with the factory loads.

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
GB1

79S Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Bighorn
Also note that in their current data, they list a max. load for RL22 and the 100 gr. TSX at 69 grains.

Myself, and I suspect many others who shoot the .257 Wby, have been loading 72 gr. for years, with success.

I noticed that too they were using 66.0 grains of imr 7828with 115. Versus everyone else was using 70grains with cup and core I tired 70grs with the 115tsx and shot just fine no pressure and a very accurate load I'm thinking of increasing the charge at .5 gr increments.

Last edited by 79S; 12/17/15.

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
J
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
J
Mine loves 110 accubonds loaded hot. I haven't had a deer take a step yet, but I'm not shooting over 400 usually. Other than the cost I haven't found a better caliber for deer.

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Around 1988 I had a friends Hornady Reloading Manual circa 1973. I searched the ballistics tables for the flattest round to 500 yards.
The 87 and 100gr SP out of the 257 Wby are the two flattest rounds in the book. Nothing, including the Swift are in its league.
Had one built out of a BDL 25-06 back then with a Burris Signature 3-12 on it. The coyotes on the SD reservations hated that gun.

I retired from the Johns Manville asbestos pop tart factory in ‘59, and still never made the connection.—-Slumlord
R
RJM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
I know most shooters don't use these guns as a sit in place prairie dog gun but was just wondering what the life expectancy of a barrel would be especially with 3500+ fps loads. I remember some articles long ago that stated that by the time one worked up a great shooting load it was time for a new barrel.

Bob

If you can not deal with reality, reality will deal with you....
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A bore scope can sure tell a story. The barrel is a 1 in 10 twist 3 groove SS 257 lilja chambered for the 257 Weatherby. It has been retired with 836 max pressure rounds through it. Used 115 Berger vlds till they began to become destroyed at round count 550 then switched to moly'ed 115s then had to switch to moly 110 accubonds. The view through the borescope is a horror show.

Throat is cracked like a dry clay pond with tiny squares and cracks/crazing everywhere. There are also fissures that run longitudinally along with the cracks for 18" up the bore!!! It cleans up with DAYS of soaking and pushing patches with Bore tech eliminator. It takes several foulers to straighten it out and much past 25 rounds it begins to open up.

I retired this barrel after realizing it has limited shooting before it opens up. It may be rebored/rifled to a larger bore in time.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
This schit is pretty fhuqking funny!

I wonder where the 73grs of '22 and 100X(XLC being the pick of the litter),came from?!? Laughing!

I've shot more 257Wby than everyone on this Thread bolted together. Hint.

Lemme letcha' in on a little "secret",in that there isn't a 25cal boolit worth a fhuqk,as BC goes. The "excitement" over dog schit NPT's and other Nerf loads is a hoot! 25yrs ago when everything else sucked too,it were viable,but now it is very easy to slap around in a multitude of ways...because it has been surpassed by boolit offerings on both sides of it's sizing. Hint.

A 22" SAAMI Montucky 243Win will squirt a .434 BC Skinner at 3350fps with '17. The 243AI will do 3500fps. The 6-284 will do 3600fps...if only as starters. Hint.

I hear good thangs about 105's too. Hint.

No schit...some dumbfhuqk touts the .388 BC Sierra 117 Pro-Hunter as being "flat"?!? Who dresses you dumbfhuqks?!? Wow.

Bullets matter farrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr more than headstamps and when there are no good bullets available to a given bore size,then all things wearing it's headstamp suck,by inherent default. Hint.

I see noone was dumb enough to mention wind.

Re-hint.

Pardon my being afforded the luxury,of not being forced to guess.

I'm looking forward to the Silence,Excuses and even more Dumbfhuqkery...in no particular order.

Laughing!........................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Talking the 90 Lapua at 3350? Would be interested in the load if you don't mind sharing

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A

Lemme letcha' in on a little "secret",in that there isn't a 25cal boolit worth a fhuqk,as BC goes. The "excitement" over dog schit NPT's and other Nerf loads is a hoot! 25yrs ago when everything else sucked too,it were viable,but now it is very easy to slap around in a multitude of ways...because it has been surpassed by boolit offerings on both sides of it's sizing. Hint.

How many 10's of thousands of rounds did you need to figger that out.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
[Linked Image]

Nut

Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny.

Thomas Jefferson

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Stick,
I wont tell the coyotes and wild pigs that the 257 wby and 25-06AI dont work anymore..............

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Heck, I just wanna know how someone gets the 90 to 3350

A
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
A
Originally Posted by Big Stick

I wonder where the 73grs of '22 and 100X(XLC being the pick of the litter),came from?!? Laughing!

A 22" SAAMI Montucky 243Win will squirt a .434 BC Skinner at 3350fps with '17. The 243AI will do 3500fps. The 6-284 will do 3600fps...if only as starters. Hint.

No schit...some dumbfhuqk touts the .388 BC Sierra 117 Pro-Hunter as being "flat"?!? Who dresses you dumbfhuqks?!? Wow.

Bullets matter farrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr more than headstamps and when there are no good bullets available to a given bore size,then all things wearing it's headstamp suck,by inherent default. Hint.

Re-hint.

I'm looking forward to the Silence,Excuses and even more Dumbfhuqkery...in no particular order.

Titties,

You ain't telling us anything we don't know.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

I wonder where the 73grs of '22 and 100X(XLC being the pick of the litter)

Big Stick I'm not packing as much horsepower as a 257 Wby, shooting a 257 Sav AI with a 21 inch barrel.

How would the 100g X-bullet go at MV around 3150? (Which I'm pretty sure I can reach with R17?)

In your experience will it expand well enough in that velocity range out to say, 350y?

Regards.

Bob

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Outdoor Ass,

What sorta speeds did '17 yield for you in the SAAMI 243 Montucky(s) you've gunned it in,with 90 Skinners? Google it. Laughing!

You Do Nothing Dumbfhuqkers are a hoot!

[Linked Image]

200's,Lapooey Three-oh-not-so-great false shoulders and a smooch. Google it.

[Linked Image]

Fairly fhuqking poignant,that a 10" SAAMI 243 is sucha Giant Killer and slaps things about so easily. Knowin' me,I prolly gun a smidge of 243AI too in a 22" and just mebbe a 23" 6-284 and a real long one at 24". But I shoot a coupla 6mm's. Hint. Google it.

[Linked Image]

If only in fairness...105's is where it's at. Google it.

Do NOT let the cat get your tongue,nor the couch your kchunt and be sure to "tell" me more.

Bless your heart.

Laughing!...................

'tell,

Be sure to come in late,panhandle scraps and nip at heels.

Ooops...too late. Congratulations?!?

Laughing!

If only for conversation,I've shot 100's and 100's of thousands of rounds and am of course sandbagging more than a smidge.

Hint................

'nut,

GOOD fhuqking call,to not say ANYTHING In regards to The Rifle. I'll feign my "surprise",that's how it unfolded.

Hint.

Laughing!...............

'Aggie,

I shot a 257Wby once. Laughing!

Be careful here...at what speed mightcha' be launching the 100TTSX? What are the engagement distances,that swoon you? What glass/mounts steer this Mechanical Marvel? Wouldja' dare dangle a pic of the POS?!?

Laughing!

Besides whistlin' through (5) 257Wby Custom spouts,I've gots me a hunch,that I've gunned more than a smidge of 25-06AI,25-06,25-284,Better Bob and Bob,in no particular order,other than descending case capacity volumes.

Be sure to "tell" me about any/all of 'em,as it WILL be fhuqking funny. Hint.

Pull no punches and go for the throat.

Laughing!..................

sheepbitch,

Few things as compelling as The Do Nothing Gang using the highly esteemed "We" Clause,to substantiate their Dumbfhuqkery. Congratulations?!?

GREAT Time to share some pixels of your 243,243AI,6-284 and 257Wby's and spare no "particulars". Laughing!

I remain torn on what is funnier,the silence or the fhuqking Excuses.

Bless your heart...................

'17,

I've never had an X boolit wrong me. As to the .257" 100X's in particular,the XLC is THE pick of the litter and I've copious faith in it's inherent mettle and abilities.

'17 is too slow in the application and '15 is KING there. Your cited velocity,will grant you impacts well above 2200fps and I've inserted truckloads of 'em shy of that. Exits are a given and breaking bone is cheap insurance. From day one(when only .375" 270's were available) I've shot X's different than anything else,in that I'm EXPRESSLY seeking to disrupt skeletal structuring and ask them to do,what others won't/can't. Launched in sucha way,they reliably freeze schit in it's tracks.

Of all the boolits I've ever shot,the .257" 100XLC is the hardest on steel plate. Them wicked Blue Meanies dig like nothing else.

I'd MUCH rather tote a 6-250,International,Creed',XC or whatever one wishes to call a case of that length nowadays. That again due to projectile selection and the availability of vastly superior BC's.

I LOVE the schit outta my 20" Brux 1-8" no-turn 6BR Montucky and 105's at a "paltry" 2700fps smooch launch.

[Linked Image]

My 18.5" Bart' 1-8" 6x45 launches the 105 Smooch at 2525fps and is just simply stupid silly in the Precision Department.

It sets next to a 1-8" MTU-esque Kreiger 6-06(.530 BC at 3350fps).

[Linked Image]

Bullets,bullets,bullets and roughly in that order.

Not that a 22-250AI slingin' 75A-Max smooches at 3450fps+ sucks.(grin)

2nd from top is a Krieger 1-7.7" 23" fluted #4 22-250AI,bottom is a 1-8" Liljee contour dupe at 22 chambered same.

Prolly a 1-8" Brux 243AI at 22" up top,for more 105 extrapolations.

[Linked Image]

Mebbe the gals will get brazen enough to "tell" me "more".(grin)

Gun the dainty Quarterbore with a warm/fuzzy...just don't drive a .224" or .243" on the same case next to it,or you WILL be pissed.(grin)

Poke a 6x MQ aboard same and live more than a little.

Hint.............

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Thanks I'll get Santa onto some R15 and try to round up some blue bullets too.

Merry.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Re-hint.

Allow me to translate everybody (this could be applied to all of Big Stick's posts).

If you don't do it the way I (Big Stick) do it, you are a moron and you suck (include expletives of course).

Hey everybody, look at me (Big Stick) (include expletives of course).

Mine's (Big Stick's item) better than yours is, na na na nana (include expletives of course).

If you said you did something, you are lying, um, because you aren't me (Big Stick) (include expletives of course).

I'm (Big Stick is) better than you are, na na na nana (include expletives of course).

Now include derogatory allegation about your wife, children, self-sexual indulgence, blah, blah, blah (include expletives of course).

You are entertaining Big Stick, I'll give you that.

Last edited by TheBigSky; 12/19/15. Reason: I corrected a spelling error.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
A
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
A
Titties,

Amazing talk! When you are on the slope, does your PPE include a BRO? Google it. Laughin'. Here's what's amazing: Your dumb kchunt has been up here in Alaska for how long now, yet you have never experienced any of it! What a hard charger you are. There is a reason you are at dick height. GOOD TALK.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
If only for conversation,I've shot 100's and 100's of thousands of rounds and am of course sandbagging more than a smidge.

Hint................

WOW +P+++,

most would have figgered it out before the expenditure of 10's of thousands of dollars and 100's of thousands of boolits.

Oh, what camo pattern is that on your smooch launchers.............disco fever

E
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
E
Killed this Texas Whitetail with a Remington M 700 .257 Wby. Used a 117 gr Sierra flat base and the shot was around 125 yds.

[Linked Image]

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
Page 3 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 10 11

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

562 members (10Glocks, 160user, 1234, 10gaugemag, 10ring1, 02bfishn, 64 invisible), 2,434 guests, and 1,363 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,228
Posts18,466,602
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.