Page 2 of 2 1 2
J
jberry Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
J
resurrecting his post...

After getting through the holidays I took the car into the transmission shop. Its been there a coupe days and the guy called me yesterday with an update. He said he was sure that it was rear pinion bearings making the noise, but when he got into it they were fine. He has not done the front because he said the lift he needed was occupied by another car he wasn't finished with so we would have to return the car next week to look up front. Kinda hacks me that he wasn't prepared to finish the job when I made the appointment, but I understand things come up. Anyway, he is going to service the transfer care and see if there are metal shavings in the fluid before I pick it up today. He is also going to have another guy here in town look at it and see what he thinks.
Initially we talked about how the noise seemed to be coming from the front end but he said sometimes that can radiate from the rear up the drive shaft so that is where he looked first. I guess to take the front apart means removing the axle and entails more work. Either way, what do you experts think about what he is saying?
He is known as "the guy" around here so I believe he knows what he is doing. I just don't know all the different parts he is talking about.

Thanks

Oh... he is also doing the motor mount. Maybe that will solve the problem.

Last edited by jberry; 01/20/16.
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The motor mount would be my first worry. It will allow the engine to twist when you accelerate. That can cause things to rub or change driveline angles causing all kinds of thing to happen. It could be your whole problem, or none of it. However, it does need fixed and getting it done will eliminate it as a problem.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
J
jberry Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
J
Saga continues...
Apparently the bearings on the front were the problem but something had broken inside the case that it has torn up more than can be repaired with new bearings. A used front diff will be $1800 to get and install, etc. A remanufactured one with a two year warranty will be $1700 so I went with that.

He said it would be a few days before he can get the reman one in, so he is putting it back together, without the front diff I assume. and said I could drive it without any issue until the new one comes in and he can put it on. Is that accurate? He said it would just be 2WD but should have no other issues. We have a quick day trip that we are doing Saturday and I don't want to be two hours from home and get stranded.

He is also putting a new motor mount on today before we pick it up. I like this guy and he has a great reputation in town so I feel like I can trust him, I just want to see what you guys think.

Thanks again.

F
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
F
Originally Posted by jberry
I just want to see what you guys think.

I think I'm glad I just sold my Yukon. grin

I'm sure yours will be fine. You'll likely need to keep it on a cash IV, though.

FC

"Every day is a holiday, and every meal is a banquet."

- Mrs. FC
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I want to buy a Yukon ...

But ...

It has to be a yellow UBER Yukon Lanche ... with big tires.

IC B2

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

507 members (17CalFan, 10gaugeman, 204guy, 007FJ, 06hunter59, 1eyedmule, 47 invisible), 2,638 guests, and 1,256 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,598
Posts18,454,390
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.