Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 11 12
Brad Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
There was another thread about bedding the Kimber Montana, and another with "accurizing" ideas. I'm one that thinks there is more than one way to achieve a goal, and rather than post on those good threads, I thought I'd just put up my own comprehensive post, sharing my own experience, methods, and observations.

As to history, I got my first Montana (8400 300 WSM) in the Spring of 2004, and have had something like 16 in the intervening years. Four were 8400's, and the balance in 84M and L's. Everything I'll share here I've done to all those, and I've never had a Montana that wouldn't shoot something sub moa.

Here's my rifle Pre-flight Checklist, some of which is specific to the Kimber, but most of which I apply to any new rifle:

1). Bed full Receiver and Shank (or full chamber).
2). De-grease Bolt and Trigger (Brake Cleaner).
3). Re-Oil/Grease Bolt and Trigger.
4). Apply nail polish to firing pin set screw (Kimber).
5). Adjust Trigger to 2.5 - 3lbs (MT's I like 2.5lbs).
6). Break top of feedramp with fine rattail file.
7). Polish feedramp and underside rails with 600 Emery.
8). Eezox all metal below stock level.
9). JB Weld scope ring bases to receiver top.
10). JB Weld sling swivel studs to stock.
11). Lap Rings, and de-burr with fine rattail file afterwards.
12). Mount scope in rubber cement. Blue Loktite ring screws.

a). With the 84's, make sure to check that the forward receiver scope base screw does not bottom-out into barrel shank. This is not always the case, as it was not with the rifle in these photos.

b). Much has been made about the mag box bottoming-out in the stock. I've never had this problem, but it certainly bears paying attention to.

c). Torque Specs: Front action screw, 45 inch lbs. Rear action screw, 35 inch lbs. Scope bases, 25 inch lbs. Ring screws, 20 inch lbs.

Bedding:

First some general thoughts... I've read the idea of bedding the MT with only the rear action screw tightened and a "guide screw" in the front. Have also seen "finger tightening" the action screws only. My own view is the action should bear on the pillars. That's what they're there for. Without using a bit more pressure than the above methods provide, the action isn't going to bear on them tightly, while oozing out excess epoxy. I put my action screws in "farmer tight" while bedding in order to make full pillar contact, and to move out excess epoxy. Afterwards I employ a torque screwdriver for consistency. As I said originally, there is always more than one way to do something, but I prefer my own method obviously!

Though the Montana is factory bedded with a "slave" action, it's surprising how much area will fill up with epoxy while still making full contact with the pillars. The factory bedding, however, really does move the process forward a fair bit, but I really don't think there's any substitute for bedding the actual action to the actual stock.

Bedding an already painted rifle is a bit more demanding than bedding a stock blank with no paint. More care is required to avoid beating-up the paint. Just a head's up.

Bedding Stuff:

Epoxy - I like Acraglass Gel or a similar Gel like Marinetex. I've also used runny 2-part epoxies but have always added a thickener like Cabosil (fumed silica) to those. The important thing is to NOT use non-thickened epoxy. I see guys using JB Weld, and while anyone is free to do what they want and it undoubtedly works well enough, I prefer a stronger epoxy. I use JB's on less critical chores like ring bases, where I prefer a weaker epoxy.

Release Agents - A lot of different ones work. I use Paste Wax for some aspects of the job, paint-on Brownells blue release agent for others, and Brownell's Acra-Release Aerosol for the barreled-action.

Exacto Razor Knife. (I prefer a no. 2 blade - have extra's on hand).
Blue Tape or quality masking tape (I prefer masking tape).
Modeling Clay.
60 Grit Sandpaper.
Mineral Spirits.
Acetone.
Fine artists brush (think small sable).
Paper towels.
Common Sense.
Patience.

The How:

Before I take the action apart from the stock I take the Exacto knife and score the paint around the tang to give my self a "guideline" to prep to. I also mark the stock with a pencil where I want the bedding to stop at the barrel shank.

After disassembling and setting the barreled action aside, I begin by prepping the stock.

I score a line in the stock at the end of the shank where I want to stop the epoxy. I then sand all the areas I want to bed with 60 grit, including down inside the lug area. Where I want to be careful to not over-sand into finished paint (like the tang and forward the shank) I score and "crosshatch" with the exacto, essentially duplicating the sanding, but in a more controlled way. After all this is done I wipe all the sanded areas down with acetone until all residue is removed.

Next I apply blue tape or masking tape along the top of the receiver, letting it overhang into the stock (PS, I prefer quality masking tape to blue tape). I then take the exacto and cut off the overhanging tape. It's important when using tape to really press it down to mate to the stock.

I then coat (the artist's brush) with the Brownell's blue paint-on release agent any and everywhere I DON'T want epoxy to stick. Those areas would include; Inside the pillars, the taped areas, inside the mag well (3/4 - 1" below the area being bedded), the barrel channel forward the shank where I want the epoxy to stop (put a lot here forward the shank - the epoxy will ooze forward!), the tang, the bolt handle cutout, etc. You really don't necessarily need tape on the stock... two coats of the blue release agent thinly applied will work on the stock, but I usually put tape on the flat surfaces for trimming purposes:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

You can really see the blue release agent in this photo all around the tang and on the inside of the stock:

[Linked Image]

Next, I de-grease with acetone all the rifle surfaces to be be bedded. With the Montana I don't remove the trigger, bolt stop, or anything (other rifles I sometimes do). I wrap the trigger with tape and fill any voids with modeling clay. I fill the tang and lug screw holes with paste wax, and also the gas port. I re-wipe those areas with Acetone, and spray the entire receiver with the Brownells release agent, then set it aside:

[Linked Image]

I coat the action screws with paste wax so they'll release later:

[Linked Image]

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
BP-B6

Brad Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Next I mix the epoxy, color to suit, and apply it to the stock:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

As a final step, I re-shoot the action with the aerosol release agent and make make sure the action screws are fully coated with wax. I then carefully mate the action to the stock, tightening the actions screws and watching to keep the barrel true in the barrel channel while slowly applying more pressure to each screw as the epoxy finds its way out of the stock. Don't rush this, and while handling the rifle, watch that epoxy... you'll get it everywhere if not careful! (PS, note in the below pic the paste wax popping up in the rear receiver screw hole... it did its job!).

[Linked Image]

Now comes the waiting... Acraglass Gel is very consistent with its cure time, which is one reason I like it. It will be getting too hard to trim easily past the 6hr mark. Around the 3hr mark, while the epoxy is still pretty rubbery, I peel back the overflow slightly away from the action. This will make it easier later to remove the action without breaking epoxy and ruining your edge. Generally at 5hrs I score the epoxy around the tang with the exacto and remove it, then back the action screws out, pop out the action, and begin trimming the remaining excess epoxy. The exacto will ride along the top of the tape to trim this area. I score the shank line and pop that out as well.

After all that I put it back together and let it finish curing til the following day, when I do clean up. The blue release agent comes off with warm water. I rinse the entire inside of the stock with warm water and dish soap and dry. The modelling clay cleans up with a toothbrush and mineral spirits.

The finished bedding:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Brad Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
[Linked Image]

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I see a permanent prominent position here. A great job, photos and explanation as always.

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Awesome post! Would you mind going over how you JB weld the bases to the receiver and your other scope prep?

"Never miss the opportunity to shut the f$%K up." Colonel Hopewell.
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter

Well done how-to Brad. Pics are always worth 1k words.

Brad Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Thanks Joe, and Scot... since you guys both have (had) Kimber MT's of mine, you both have seen first hand the bedding.

Scot, as to the rings...

I de-grease the underside of the ring bases, screws, and receiver screw holes with denatured alcohol. You really don't need to get too carried away, the epoxy will stick well enough. I then mix 2-Part standard grey JB Weld and coat the bottom of the bases. I also daub on a tiny bit the screws. I then attach them to the receiver, and finish tightening slowly with the Torque Wrench to 25 inch lbs. I clean up the excess with denatured alcohol (clean up helps with Q-Tips).

Lapping, I use a lapping bar and 240 grit lapping compound. Aluminum rings go quick so don't get too carried away. Also, because the receiver tops are so straight and even, the Kimber's are about the easiest action to lap rings to I've ever experienced... there's little to overcome in terms of out-of-whack machining.

Before lapping I wrap the action with saran wrap, and tape around the bases to keep lapping compound out of the action and off the stock and barrel.

On Talley Lwt's I plug the inside hole of each ring with a bit of cotton to keep lapping compound out.

After lapping, the rings will typically (depending on make) have a sharp edge all the way around. I take a fine rattail file and lightly relieve those edges at a 45* in order to keep them from marring whatever scope is to get mounted.

For scope mounting, I just apply a thin layer of Elmer's rubber cement. Whatever oozes out, I let dry and clean off. Scope rings get 20 inch lbs.

I think the above is as bomb-proof a method of scope mounting as you'll find. The JB Weld essentially provides a monolithic scope base.

To remove the bases, pop the action out of the stock, kiss the rings with a Benzomatic torch, and loosen the screws.

Brad Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Thx MM.

C
CP Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Tis a good glob of information Brad. CP.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Very nice write up. I thought I was the only one anal enough to use an exacto knife.........

I also use a bunch of tape to make sure I have the break line between the barrel/action cutout and the stock covered. Plus I don't want any epoxy on the stock.

I hear you on the 2 action screw thing. I did a "test" of sorts. I put the action in the stock and used only the finger tight tang screw. The action didn't move. I did use 3 layers of black tape on the barrel to keep it centered in the channel. I could see where using the tape could raise the barrel enough where tightening the action screw could create a torque issue. I did the tang action screw thing to both of mine this AM. We'll see how they turn out.

Thanks again for taking the time to post.

Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it.
IC B3

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Wow, very well put together Brad, the kimber folks should be very appreciative, nice work.

Brad Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Bill I've found, rather than wrapping the barrel to keep it in the channel straight (for the pressure reason you state), applying a shim or two on the sides of the barrel channel while tightening will help.

Brad Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Randy, thanks.

But really, most of the information is pretty generic to any rifle.

Merry Christmas my friend...

Brad Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Chris, Merry Christmas to you and yours... hope you had a good hunting season!

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Many Thanks Brad. That was a LOT of time putting that post together - very much appreciated. Merry Christmas!

D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
Outstanding! Very nice of you to take the time to share.

Buy once, cry once.
C
CP Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Merry Christmas to you and yours as well Brad. CP.

P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Appreciate the detailed explanation. I too do all the same things to every rifle. I'll definitely keep this as a reference though. I have only one 84M, but it is an incredible hunting rifle in my opinion and these items are simple refinements that ensure consistent performance.

I have used JB Weld, as well as Acraglas, and have not seen a functional difference. Really was just due to using what I had on hand. Have to look more into the attributes.

My 84M has traveled a lot, been in rain, snow, and dust over the last 5+ years and I'm thinking about stripping it down and giving it a good check out. I'm primarily interested in corrosion.

Thanks again!

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Great thread Brad. If more guys did this to any rifle they own, there would be a lot less threads on poor shooting rifles...

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'm 3+ hours into my Kimber bedding job. And learned to NEVER, EVER use straight Acra Glass again. I thought skim bedding I'll use a thinner material. It got under my masking tape, ran out the "stud", generally made a mess. I'm not hugely hopeful its going to come out the way the gel/SS versions usually do. I've got it all cleaned up but that stuff is garbage. I'll bet I'll be re-doing the bedding.........

Again - thank you for the thread and pics. I've done 20-30 rifles but I always learn something by looking at how other folks do things. Hadn't thought of the shim thing - I've always used 2-5 layers of electric tape to center the barrel in the channel.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Nicely done!

Kudos!

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Brad Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Scot, I always finish up with ring lapping last. And since this weekend I'm going through and doing the entire pre-flight to this Kimber 84L (270 Win), thought I'd detail my ring lapping a bit more.

Honestly, I think with a Kimber it's an entirely optional step. Like I said, the receivers are so darn perfect! However, I dislike the amount of "pinch" Talley Lwt's have, and since that's what goes on most of my Kimbers, I always lap them. Heck, I lap all rings... it's the anal thing to do laugh

I start by taping off the receiver, and plugging any holes with cotton as I mentioned above... bedding compound wants to go everywhere!

[Linked Image]

I lap with 240 grit. It's important if doing both ring halves together (top and bottom) to keep the top rings consistent (even/parallel) to the lower rings while lapping to ensure an even lap. I continue to tighten the rings as I lap, and double check that the top rings are parallel fore and aft to the bottom rings:

[Linked Image]

When I feel I've gotten what I want, I remove all the screws and drop them into a jar of mineral spirits.

The next step is critical IMO... lapped rings are specific to their original location, so I remove the front ring, and with my exacto scratch a F-> on the inside of the ring... F = "Front Ring" and the arrow points towards the muzzle. Next I do the same to the rear with R->.

I clean the rings and screws with mineral spirits, and use bits of cotton ball wrapped on a toothpick and dipped in the spirits to clean the screw threads on the lower ring halves.

Lastly, I use a rattail file to bevel the sharp edge on the rings created by the lapping. I leave the saran wrap (or whatever) on the rifle during this part to keep all the filings from finding their way into the nooks and crannies of the action:

[Linked Image]

A bit more clean-up and the rifle is ready for a scope.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Thanks Brad,I really appreciate this. I have a couple of questions please.

What do you use to remove the paint on release agent from the stock? Is it hard to get off? I can see using it sparingly on the outside if it is hard to remove while I might use a lot more just in case if it is easy to remove.

Do you add tape or anything to the bottom of the recoil lug,or is it not necessary since you are tightening the action farmer tight?

I think I see that you are painting with release agent and taping the mag box area?

Brad Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Great thread Brad. If more guys did this to any rifle they own, there would be a lot less threads on poor shooting rifles...

BSA, I concur... factory rifles, no matter what they cost, haven't been gone through like a properly constructed custom. All the things I've described cost a fair bit of coin if you're having a smith do it!

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
I want dibs on the next Montana you trip...

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Tag this for when my Montana 7mm-08 comes in

Brad Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
PRM, I rate the JB's as slightly "inferior" only because of how it behaves after it's cured. JB's is a bit more brittle and will definitely "crack" with less force than Acraglas Gel. Hit with a torch it definitely loosens up more quickly than Acraglas. But again, that's just my subjective impression, and a man only has himself to please. JB's is undoubtedly "good enough"... my inner perfectionist just isn't happy with it though!

Years back I did industrial coatings and have used literally thousands of gallons of various epoxies... they're all formulated differently. We had one that was mixed with sand for trowel-on applications, and it smelled, looked (color) and acted exactly like JB's! Of the many different one's I used, that was the only one that had the same characteristics. I assume JB sources it from the same Co. as there are only a small handful of epoxy manufacturers world wide.

Yeah, Kimber MT's are outstanding hunting rifles. Not general-purpose rifles, but ideal for backcountry hunting...

Brad Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by AKwolverine

LOL, no longer selling rifles... everything I have is staying from here on out as I've settled on what I like, and the dang things are not getting cheaper for some reason.

But I take that as a compliment laugh

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Great post Brad. I think the reason Kimbers sometimes get a bad rap is that the bedding from the factory looks so good people think they are a bedded action. As you stated, they are bedded to a dummy action, not any particular action. At least they are easy to skim bed and it takes very little material. You sure do a great job! Mine didn't turn out that pretty but it does shoot.

I am continually astounded at how quickly people make up their minds on little evidence or none at all.
Jack O'Connor
Brad Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by R_H_Clark
What do you use to remove the paint on release agent from the stock? Is it hard to get off? I can see using it sparingly on the outside if it is hard to remove while I might use a lot more just in case if it is easy to remove.

RH, the blue paint-on release agent comes right off with warm water. No harm, no foul. I use it everywhere, inside and out.

Do you add tape or anything to the bottom of the recoil lug,or is it not necessary since you are tightening the action farmer tight?

I always bed lugs tight, no tape on the front or bottom of the lug.

I think I see that you are painting with release agent and taping the mag box area?

RH, no tape on the inside of the stock anywhere... chalk that up to early morning (bad) light for photography, or that some of the Montana paint peeled off in the mag box area when scraping out excess epoxy. I paint the blue release agent anywhere I don't want epoxy, inside and out.

On a tupperware (plastic stock) it's easier to just brush on paste wax. But since the Kimber already has paint, it's harder to remove the wax. Ditto the inside of a McMillan Edge stock.

PS, you a "Tide" fan? Probably a stupid question... laugh

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Brad

LOL, no longer selling rifles...

Where have we heard that before?!? 😉

What did you settle on as the perfect quiver?

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R

RH, the blue paint-on release agent comes right off with warm water. No harm, no foul. I use it everywhere, inside and out.

I always bed lugs tight, no tape on the front or bottom of the lug.

RH, no tape on the inside of the stock anywhere... chalk that up to early morning (bad) light for photography, or that some of the Montana paint peeled off in the mag box area when scraping out excess epoxy. I paint the blue release agent anywhere I don't want epoxy, inside and out.

On a tupperware (plastic stock) it's easier to just brush on paste wax. But since the Kimber already has paint, it's harder to remove the wax. Ditto the inside of a McMillan Edge stock.

PS, you a "Tide" fan? Probably a stupid question... laugh

Thanks Brad,yea I'm a Tide fan but I'm not as extreme as some and will root for the other home team when the're playing someone else.I'm actually not a really big sports fan. I enjoy watching a game with friends but I'm not the guy who will only hunt till game time.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Brad,

Thanks for taking the time to post this information and share your knowledge and techniques.

Based on the prior posts I think I may have bought from you the only Kimber Montana that you did not work on (grin). That 7-08 received the SAS treatment and resides in my first string line up.

Brad Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
WW, I think you did! I bought it, never did anything to it, and sold it!

Brad Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana

LOL, no longer selling rifles...

Where have we heard that before?!? 😉

What did you settle on as the perfect quiver?

AK, right now I have a Kimber MT 308, Kimber MT 270 (barrel cut to 22.5"), Winchester M70 308 EW and 1990's M70 SS Classic Fwt 270.

The M70 EW is in an Edge, PT&G Bottom Metal, X-Low Talley Lwts, and a 3.5-10x40 CDS on top. Lovely rifle, and really a better general purpose rifle than the Kimbers.

The M70 270 Fwt is the last to be put together. It will go in an Edge, PT&G bottom metal, open sights, 6x36 LRD in detachable mounts. A Finn Aagaard-esque "practical" rifle.

I have a MT 257 Rob barrel, and the 308 "might" get converted to that... or stay as it is. Or get re-barreled. We shall see!

Here's this years elk, a decent 7x7, with the 308:

[Linked Image]

Brad Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Thanks Brad,yea I'm a Tide fan but I'm not as extreme as some and will root for the other home team when the're playing someone else.I'm actually not a really big sports fan. I enjoy watching a game with friends but I'm not the guy who will only hunt till game time.

I'm not much of a sports fan either, only reason I ask was I was recently in Starkville, MS with a client and watched the Tide roll-up the Bulldogs... what an amazing team. Really like watching an NFL team. I'd never been to an SEC game... really more of a religious event!

Brad Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by bwinters
I'm 3+ hours into my Kimber bedding job. And learned to NEVER, EVER use straight Acra Glass again. I thought skim bedding I'll use a thinner material. It got under my masking tape, ran out the "stud", generally made a mess. I'm not hugely hopeful its going to come out the way the gel/SS versions usually do. I've got it all cleaned up but that stuff is garbage. I'll bet I'll be re-doing the bedding.........

Again - thank you for the thread and pics. I've done 20-30 rifles but I always learn something by looking at how other folks do things. Hadn't thought of the shim thing - I've always used 2-5 layers of electric tape to center the barrel in the channel.

Bill, yeah runny epoxy is a zero in a rifle... really not sure why Brownell's even sells the stuff. It's a specialty item, not for any kind of bedding I know of, unless thickened.

Glad you like the thread. R H CLark really inspired me to do it. He put up a post yesterday requesting any Montana bedding tips, and since I was quite literally just starting one, thought I'd oblige.

I've gleaned a lot from various guys on this site over the years, and it's only right to take some time to give back something that will hopefully help someone else.

Merry Christmas all...

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Brad, Thank you for the time and effort to post. As said above, a picture is worth a thousand words... Much appreciated...

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Nice work Brad. I'm sure it make those Kimbers shoot 'mo-betta'

Randy
NRA
Patriot Life Benefactor

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Nice posts. Thanks.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
This thread is an excellent resource that needs to be made a sticky.

Thank you, Brad, for your work to create this presentation. And your photos are excellent. Merry Christmas.

Nifty-250

"If you don't know where you're going, you may wind up somewhere else".
Yogi Berra
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Really neat looking job Brad. Looks way better than most of mine have turned out. One question. Do you check that the pillars are at the correct height so as not to induce stress into the action before going "farmer tight" on the screws?

Dave.

Those who are always shooting off at the mouth usually aren't shooting straight.

Build a man a fire and he’ll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he’ll be warm for the rest of his life.

www.wvcdl.org
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Tagged. Thanks for the write-up and photos Brad. I'm gearing up to bed my first action, a M70 Classic into a McMillan. Your post goes a long way in helping me visualize a few steps.

-JW
M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Excellent post Brad. Have done a few myself with the only significant differences being that I stop at the lug, floating the shank one wrap of masking tape, use a set of bedding studs rather than OEM fasteners, and get a tad lazy on the stock masking too, using WD-40 on some Q-Tips to spin/slide the fresh, extruded AcraGlas gel off. Running a fresh Q-tip with WD-40 around the stock/action makes a nice, clean fillet. After curing, a soapy sponge removes the WD-40 off the stock's surface after popping the action loose.

E
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
E
Pretty sweet write up, just wish it would have come 2 days sooner or I would have done mine a day later. Did two on Saturday similar to SAS's upgrade, I'm sure they'll shoot similar to the 5 I've already done similar but I'd like to try something different. Excellent thread, thanks and appreciate the pics.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Runny Acra glass is all we used to have. The gel came much later. The runny stuff is supposed to be harder, and is often used as an adhesive, where being thin is an advantage. I have never tried the gel so can not compare, but did one stock with the gel type stuff from midway. I thought it was way soft.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I pulled it last night and surprisingly it looked really good. In fact it is perfect except I got more in the barrel channel than I care for but will likely shoot it as it. A Dremel tool will fix the issue if it needs fixed. I'm still not using the runny variety ever again.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Brad,one more question please. After bedding there is a very thin layer of compound on top of the pillars,I'm guessing you just leave it there?

The regular original Accraglass is perfect for gluing up hidden tang knives. It's thinness allows it to perfectly conform to an antler handle and it's shrinkage is less that other epoxies.

Last edited by R_H_Clark; 12/13/15.
Brad Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by dave284
Really neat looking job Brad. Looks way better than most of mine have turned out. One question. Do you check that the pillars are at the correct height so as not to induce stress into the action before going "farmer tight" on the screws?

Dave.

Dave, that's a good question, and frankly I'm not really sure how to answer it.

I suppose the way to say it is, with the action screws mating the action to the pillars, I've never had a Montana not have enough room all around it to allow an thin layer of epoxy while still bearing on and exposing the pillars. If there were a problem spot higher than either of the pillars, it wouldn't allow the bedding material.

... makes me wonder if in fact the Kimber slave action is not slightly oversized?

I will say, I once had a Rem Model 7 who's stock was so badly formed the bolt wouldn't run in the raceways without binding. Only when the action screws were completely lose would the bolt run free. Talk about "stressed"... That one went back to Remington!

Brad Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Brad,one more question please. After bedding there is a very thin layer of compound on top of the pillars,I'm guessing you just leave it there?

I do... the top of the pillars are scuffed up enough it's not going anywhere. And really, 45 inch-lbs for the front, and 35 for the rear are really not that much. I don't worry about it, and have never found it a problem.

Brad Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Bill, I'm glad it worked out!

Brad Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
To all, thanks for the kind words!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Brad

Once you get done with all of your set up steps, do you find your rifles hold zero better than an out of the box set up?

Originally Posted by shrapnel
I probably hit more elk with a pickup than you have with a rifle.

Originally Posted by JohnBurns
I have yet to see anyone claim Leupold has never had to fix an optic. I know I have sent a few back. 2 MK 6s, a VX-6, and 3 VX-111s.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Well done.

Last edited by TheBigSky; 12/14/15.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
tag for later

T
T
Great post. Thank you!

E
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
E
Brad - awesome post! Thank you

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Brad, good post. Still kicking myself for selling that 30-06 I bought from you. frown

NRA LIFE MEMBER
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS!
"Suppose you were an idiot And suppose you were a member of Congress... But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Brad,

This is impressive. I usually don't realize I bedded a rifle until I wake up and find it in the gun vise.

Props.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Flave, same thing here. I always seem to bed them after work, go to sleep and then wake up at 2 or 4AM and pop them out of the stock.

Brad, your bedding job reminds me of a finish carpenter type work. Mine are more along the lines of corral type 'carpentry' work!

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Brad, great job!

And, GREAT bull!

Merry Christmas to you and yours!

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
The next time Brad beds a rifle, we ought to get him to shoot a video and post it on u tube.
Merry Christmas to everyone.

Last edited by bigwhoop; 12/14/15.

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Brad,

You bed the "shank or full chamber" area.

What about on a Winchester Featherweight contour barrel? Do you still bed the chamber area, or some other amount?

Brad Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by bellydeep
Brad

Once you get done with all of your set up steps, do you find your rifles hold zero better than an out of the box set up?

Deep, can't really say as I think I've only ever shot one Kimber (a 308) without fully bedding it. That rifle shot great, but most 308's do!

Brad Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by DakotaDeer
Brad,

You bed the "shank or full chamber" area.

What about on a Winchester Featherweight contour barrel? Do you still bed the chamber area, or some other amount?

DD, on the featherweight I generally will bed to the base of the cartridge shoulder.

Brad Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Travis, what happens in Havre, stays in Havre.

Brad Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Sammer, you know how meticulous I am... can be a bit of a curse at times. But it does get me a lot of work!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Brad

Deep, can't really say as I think I've only ever shot one Kimber (a 308) without fully bedding it. That rifle shot great, but most 308's do!

Yeah I guess you wouldn't really know then.

How's this: do you typically have to adjust the scope when you go the range post-season?

Even for rifles that don't get hunted, I often find that they are off 1/2 MOA or so if they sit in the closet long enough.

I have yet to see anyone claim Leupold has never had to fix an optic. I know I have sent a few back. 2 MK 6s, a VX-6, and 3 VX-111s.
Brad Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana

How's this: do you typically have to adjust the scope when you go the range post-season?

Even for rifles that don't get hunted, I often find that they are off 1/2 MOA or so if they sit in the closet long enough.

Nope, essentially never. Funny you should bring this up, I took my 308 MT up to my range last week after the season to check its zero, and it was exactly where it was at the beginning of the season, after a pretty good backpack hunt.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Nope, essentially never. Funny you should bring this up, I took my 308 MT up to my range last week after the season to check its zero, and it was exactly where it was at the beginning of the season, after a pretty good backpack hunt.

That is a good sign.

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Great write up Brad, Thanks.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Here's this years elk, a decent 7x7, with the 308:

[Linked Image]

Really great write-up Brad. Thanks for taking the time.

Congrats on another very fine bull also!

Merry Christmas

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Brad, great write-up. Question on the JB-Weld scope base mounting. Have you ever done it on a rifle with Cerakote and tried to remove the scope bases? I'm guessing the cerakote would come off but have never tried it. I have some rifles with cerakote and been reluctant to use the JB-Weld for this reason.

Merry Christmas

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Brad,
Thanks a ton for the great post. I have an 84L Classic with the walnut stock. Any ideas on anything you might do differently for a wood-stocked gun?
Thanks,
Jed

Brad Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
DJ, I've no idea on the Ceracote... that would likely be a good question for someone that applies it like Redneck here on the forum. I'd be curious to know myself.

Merry Christmas!

Brad Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Jed, nice thing about your wood stock is that, unlike the Montana's which are "generically" bedded with a slave action, the wood-stocked versions are bedded to their individual actions, so unless you want to add some bedding to what is already there, I'd not worry about it.

Best,

Brad

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Thank you and tag

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Brad, I had never heard that about the wood stocks. That really surprises me that they would do one method for one type of stock and another for the other. How did you find that out?

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Great write up...and excellent work. I would gladly pay for instruction in your bedding practices.

I have it in my mind that I can do it. Would just like to have someone looking over my shoulder and guiding me through potential trouble spots.

Thanks for sharing.

GB

Brad Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Jed, that's what I was told by Kimber. But I honestly can't confirm it as I've never had an 84M wood model apart. What are your thoughts pulling it apart, does it look like the action and bedding were mated during bedding? Put up some pics if you can.

The Montana stocks are made and painted in Costa Rica, so it makes sense they'd be bedded at the time of mfg with a slave action.

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Brad,
I will gladly post pics of my 84L Classic once I get it apart. Any idea of what specifically I'd be looking for to tell if it was needed to that particular action? Mine has only had a few rounds (12-18 I think) through it since I bought it new last year.
Thanks,
Jed

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
ttt

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Jed, that's what I was told by Kimber. But I honestly can't confirm it as I've never had an 84M wood model apart. What are your thoughts pulling it apart, does it look like the action and bedding were mated during bedding? Put up some pics if you can.

The Montana stocks are made and painted in Costa Rica, so it makes sense they'd be bedded at the time of mfg with a slave action.

First time I have heard that. Have always understood the walnut stocks are harvested, built, checkered and bedded to slave actions in Costa Rica before being sent to NY. Far cheaper wood and labour costs. They are one of the only production stocks that are still checkered with a human operating the tool, as can be told by the imperfect checkering. I have bedded all the wood stocked Kimbers I've had. They suffer the exact same maladies as the montanas as far as bedding and binding magazines, etc.

Brad Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
bushrat, thanks for the clarification...

W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
The last time my vise looked like that I was taking it out of the box...

Very nice work Brad. Very nice....

W

"I would build one again, if it were not for my 350RM (grin)."

MtnHtr
Brad Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Woofer, Merry Christmas man!

How's things in "The Kingdom?"

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Brad,

Great work BTW. Do you have any experience with Devcon Titanium epoxy for either the bedding or the scope mounts?

Brad Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Old Elk, no I have no experience with that particular epoxy.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
bushrat, thanks for the clarification...

Not 100% sure that is how it is , it is what I was led to understand. Kimber seems a bit elusive about it's manufacturing process. It would be ice to know for sure.

Brad Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
I agree... I've never actually seen the glass bedding in an 84 wood stock...

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Identical to the montanas except it's not painted over.

Brad Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Good to know...

W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
Back atya' Brad. The kingdom is void of snow. 40's 50's mostly. Xmas is 60 I guess. I would bitch but being old now 40 and 50 in Dec are OK.....

I know I'm old now because my 17yr daughter said goodbye the other day and kissed me on top of my head. It was the first thought that came to mind. Laughed out loud.

Anyone know off hand what the barrel thread specs are on the 84?

"I would build one again, if it were not for my 350RM (grin)."

MtnHtr
P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I was re-reading this, and it occurred to me the only additional thing I now do to each rifle is Tubbs Final Finish and ultra bore coat. It has resulted in improved accuracy in each rifle. The most recent was a Howa Mountain Rifle in 308 Win. If nothing else, the Tubbs FF makes the barrel feel as smooth as glass and it cleans up easier.

Brad Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Woof, 2' of snow on the ground here. I may have to move to north Vermont.

Brad Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by prm
I was re-reading this, and it occurred to me the only additional thing I now do to each rifle is Tubbs Final Finish and ultra bore coat. It has resulted in improved accuracy in each rifle. The most recent was a Howa Mountain Rifle in 308 Win. If nothing else, the Tubbs FF makes the barrel feel as smooth as glass and it cleans up easier.

prm, I need to try the Tubbs.

Brad Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Final rifle... Kimber 84L MT 270 Win, barrel cut/recrowned to 22.5", 2.5-8x36, Talley Lwt Lows, Uncle Mike's Mountain Sling, 4 rounds, 6lbs 10.5 oz's. I'll add a CDS later, will bump rifle to 6lb's 11oz's all-up.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Great job, mine never look that good. Thanks for the write up.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Brad, here's the eastern MT version and I know you love bipods.....grin

Shoots 140 Accubonds uber-good with a case full of H4831sc.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Nice, Sammo. I have a couple of 270s that love the same load.

Excellent thread, Brad. I do this will all my rifles.

Nut

Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny.

Thomas Jefferson

Brad Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Sam, 140 NAB's are on hand to try. That's about as good a one-bullet-bullet as I can think of.

We've got over 2' new snow here in the last week... may not head out to shoot for a couple days laugh

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
My 270 in October, 140 gr TSX. Truly a great rifle.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Conduct is the best proof of character.
Brad Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Ed, congrat's on your elk and the Kimber... the 270 MT is to Western highcountry hunting what carrots are to peas.

I got one of the first 270 MT's about four years ago. Like yours a 6x36 lr rode on top. I shot a couple elk with it, including an old 6x6, and foolishly sold it. This new one is meant to make up for that mistake!

This one fell to a 150 Partition:

[Linked Image]

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Brad,

You were the one that eventually made me go to the Dark Side. Between this rifle and my LW 375 H&H M70 I am tempted to unload the rest. My three son's cringe when I mention that. grin

Conduct is the best proof of character.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Brad is bad for my gun looneyism. <G>

He also really needs to have a pictorial post of his elk. He has quietly amassed a nice collection of great elk. When he talks elk and elk rifles I tend to pay attention - he knows of what he speaks.

Brad Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Aw shucks... laugh

Ed, that 270 Montana does seem to render most everything else redundant...

Sorry for being such a bad influence!

Merry Christmas guys...

T
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
T
Brad,

Awesome thread. Thanks for posting. Quick question as I'm on the fence between a Montana and EW Model 70 in .300 Win. In your previous post you mentioned the EW being a better everyday gun. Question is what makes is a better everyday gun than the Montana. Second question is how close can you get the EW in weight to the Montana with the custom bottom metal and lighter stock? Thanks

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
That original 270 of Brads is still kicking down doors. But it's deer shoulders instead of elk. I keep hoping the good elk Ju-Ju will come my way, but 0-2 so far. Someday!

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
[Linked Image]

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
It's the Swaro scope. Switch it back to a 6x36, and watch her shine.

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
I considered that Elk didn't like the Swaro wink

Brad Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
OAG, it pleases me to no end you got my old 270... it's a darn good rig!

Brad Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
tm, answered on your other post.

Brad

Brad Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Couple more photos of two "preflight" items...

4). Apply nail polish to firing pin set screw (Kimber):

[Linked Image]

Here's one I forgot to mention. Call it 13). on the checklist smile

When Kimber assembles the Montana stocks, they're apparently (sometimes) adding the pads while the stock is still curing and producing heat. This sucks the air out of the recoil pad and "dimples" it. To make the dimples vanish, puncture the dimples with a heavy pin. Over time the pad will find its original shape. I haven't seen this problem in a while, but a lot of the older MT's had this issue.

[Linked Image]

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Brad,
I finally got around to taking my 84L apart and this is what I found. The bedding under the barrel shank looks like it is only making partial contact based on part of the bedding being 'shiny' and the rest having a slightly roughened appearance. The receiver portion had an even finish. I know the pics aren't the greatest, but what do you all think? I think it is time to order some Acraglas Gel!

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Brad Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Jed, go for it... sure can't hurt, and certainly could help!

Thanks for the pictures.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
ttt

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Thanks for the information.

Bump.

Randy
NRA
Patriot Life Benefactor

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'll add my thanks to a great thread!

Any chance you could elaborate a little more on the filing/polishing of the ramp? How much of the ramp are you hitting? How fine of a rat tail file are you using?

Thanks again for a great thread

Brad Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
MT, if you look on page one lower down from the bedding where I show the ring lapping, the bottom photo shows breaking the sharp edge of the lapped rings with a fine rattail file. It's a small round one, not sure how fine it is, but you can see in the photo there's not much tooth to it at all. It's likely a finish file for a chain saw blade.

The angle you see there is about the same on the ramp... you're only "breaking" the sharp edge at the very top of the ramp where cartridges are scratched as they ride over it to enter the chamber. The actual "face" of the ramp just gets a good polish with 600 Emery.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Should'a looked this up a week ago... Some good practices.

I don't know when or how they're doing it but a Pachmayr Decelerator Old English pad will compress when clamped and sometimes stay dimpled looking when the pressure is let off, no heat required. The fix is exactly as pictured. It also takes just the pin prick to shove a lubed screw thru there too, if one's into screwing rather than gluing. At olden day KoO there were many many trials to go with a screwed-on pad on the 89s. Just never would result in everything lined up 100% perfectly flush while 100% gap free on the end product. It took literally dozens of trials to show management, and a picky guy in the final assembly area, initials DC, that it was not a Machine Sanding - Hardware Department flaw. The trouble that spurred the testing was the taping required and the resultant lines or edges that can result using the spray-on finish, a 2k automotive clearcoat.

I was fairly satisfied with the pad on my Montana, it was perfectly shaped but with the plastic base just a hair uniformly undersize of the composite - real good tolerances, si muy bueno. I sanded my composite/paint down to match the plastic of the buttplate so I could tape off and paint to the rubber and not have a recessed band between the composite and the rubber, nor a ridge at the edge of the composite. The pads on wood stocks are, I surmise, still glued on then carved down in-place, ala machine sander, likely having finish over the plastic base, not like the Montana where the hard base is finish free.

There's several things about these rifles I did not realize, one is the great trigger. It adjusted down and performs perfectly satisfactorily. Glad this thread got back up.
Couple more photos of two "preflight" items...
When Kimber assembles the Montana stocks, they're apparently (sometimes) adding the pads while the stock is still curing and producing heat. This sucks the air out of the recoil pad and "dimples" it. To make the dimples vanish, puncture the dimples with a heavy pin. Over time the pad will find its original shape. I haven't seen this problem in a while, but a lot of the older MT's had this issue.

[Linked Image]

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Thanks!

L
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
Great info in this thread.
Gives me another fun project.
Thanks.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
tag

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Wow Brad!
Very nice work. I need to 'tag' this thread, for certain. cool

"For joy of knowing what may not be known we take the golden road to Samarkand."
James Elroy Flecker

U
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
U
An excellent job preparing a rifle for "no excuses" use. While I feel woefully unqualified to critique it, I am a tad surprised that in the original list of tweaks there is not:

5.5 Apply fingernail polish to trigger adjusting screws.

Brad Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by utah708
An excellent job preparing a rifle for "no excuses" use. While I feel woefully unqualified to critique it, I am a tad surprised that in the original list of tweaks there is not:

5.5 Apply fingernail polish to trigger adjusting screws.

Yeah, when I said 5). Adjust Trigger to 2.5 - 3lbs (MT's I like 2.5lbs) I forgot to add that I always re-seal the adjustment screws with nail polish.

Good catch!

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Just read this.
Thanks Brad!

“Perfection is achieved not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away”.
Antoine de Saint-Exupery. Posted by Brad.
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Folks, remember to be especially careful when drilling out the head of your cross-threaded rear takedown screw so you don't nick the trigger guard. wink

--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Tagged.

Okie John

If Montana had a standing army, a 270 Win with Federal Blue Box 130's would be the standard issue.
R
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
R
Tag

BE STRONG IN THE LORD, AND IN HIS MIGHTY POWER. ~ Ephesians 6:10

Socialism is a philosophy of failure,
the creed of ignorance,
and the gospel of envy,
its inherent virtue is the equal sharing of misery.
--Winston Churchill

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Tag

M
M
Great thread! Im going to be going through this one a few times while I get ready to bed my Mountain Ascent. I see photo bucket has screwed up the pictures though. Any chance of getting them back up for us?

Thanks for the post.

R
R
Bumping this up as well - any chance there are updated pics out there since photobucket messed them up?

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Tag

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
tag

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
This is an old thread but I found something on a new Kimber Hunter 6.5CM that I picked up on Black Friday. When I removed the stock I noticed the front action screw left a small mark on the bottom of the barrel shank. (Threaded hole goes clear through receiver and barrel shank can be seen through hole). Anyway, I filed .010" off the bolt and now it no longer touches. Last time out I had a couple groups well under 1" (best 3 shot group was .6). Not sure if it was the bolt or loads I'm working on, but if a long screw on a scope ring can cause havoc - I would have to believe a stock bolt could do the same. If you are having trouble with your Kimber, give it a look.

FWIW: Smoking the end of the bolt with soot is an easy way to see if it is touching. I like to light the end of a piece of masking tape on fire and use the soot. (Also makes awesome sight black).

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
After setting mine aside for a long while, upon a fresh start, I found my feeding issues to be confounded by a gloob of resin in the stock's mag well that caused the mag box to tilt on reassembly. No amount of dinking with the lips of the box was going to fix that. Once cleaned out, careful work with a new box and follower got her working good. Especially pleased how slick the ejector catches the cartridge on the forward move. Great little rifle.

--- Kid Rock 2022

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
This should be a sticky. A lot of the same info can be used on the model 70 as well.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
There's much to be said,for Starting At The Fhuqking Start...no matter the Make or Model

Hint..............

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by Big Stick
There's much to be said,for Starting At The Fhuqking Start...no matter the Make or Model

Hint..............

No chit huh!

--- Kid Rock 2022

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Have seen it matter.....................(grin)

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
S
S
Great thread with lots of great info!......

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Tag

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Tag - Brad, any way you can get the pics back into this thread?

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Tag

My heart's in the mountains, my heart is not here.
My heart's in the mountains, chasing the deer.
K
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
K
Tagged

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Brad- looks like damn Photobucket nixed all the photos frown

Mike

N
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
N
Tagged

Pitter Patter!
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Tag

N
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
N
Tag

Pitter Patter!
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
tag

E
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
E
Tag

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Bumping this to the top, for easier reference.

Also, any chance someone has the photos from this thread saved?

B
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
B
Tag

O
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
O
I asked Brad if he would re post them. Thinking he just ain’t found the time

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Ozarker

He's an old-timer now. It may take him longer to get to it. grin

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Since this has had so much interest over a number of years and applies to virtually all bolt actions and not just Kimbers it would be nice if we could get the pics restored and pin this thread to the top.
Ric?

I am continually astounded at how quickly people make up their minds on little evidence or none at all.
Jack O'Connor
Brad Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Teeder
Originally Posted by Ozarker

He's an old-timer now. It may take him longer to get to it. grin

laugh

Brad Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Blacktailer
Since this has had so much interest over a number of years and applies to virtually all bolt actions and not just Kimbers it would be nice if we could get the pics restored and pin this thread to the top.
Ric?

Rick has nothing to do with it... photos got deleted off phtobucket when it changed.

I plan on re-doing the entire thread with new pictures and additional information... when this old timer gets around to it smile

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
laugh

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Thanks Brad, a lot of us look forward to that.

Jack O'Connor
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Ric?

Rick has nothing to do with it... photos got deleted off phtobucket when it changed.

I plan on re-doing the entire thread with new pictures and additional information... when this old timer gets around to it smile

That would be very kind of you.
Thanks.

Randy
NRA
Patriot Life Benefactor

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Nice write up thank you. 👍

Also thanks to whoever bumped this old thread up. I like seeing how other guys do it and make adjustments as needed in my routine. Very helpful thread.

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Ric?

With age comes wisdom and patience.

😂🤣Ask me how I know😉

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Ric?

I recently traded into a 308 Montana. Going to go thru this checklist after the holidays. Good stuff in this thread!

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
TAG

X
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
X
Bump it up,

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
this is really interesting wish I could see the pics of the process

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by bmet
this is really interesting wish I could see the pics of the process

Me too!

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
I can't believe theres a check list. On my 4th Montana and they all shot great out the gate.

7mm-08
300 wsm

Your Every Liberal vote promotes Socialism and is an
attack on the Second Amendment. You will suffer the consequences.

GOA,Idaho2AIAlliance,AmericanFirearmsAssociation,IdahoTrappersAssociation,FoundationForWildlifeManagement ID and MT.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
TAG

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Sticky, sticky, sticky!

Jack O'Connor
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Excellent thread Brad & all.

I’m enjoying my 1st Montana in 30-06 and sure enough it’s feeding rough. I’m going to run the whole rifle thru the list of tweaks and get her ready for next season. I did find that 55gr of Imr 4350 under a 180gr anything will make big holes - which led to excited feeding which led to awareness that something wasn’t quite right.

Be well buddy!

Pints

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by PintsofCraft
Excellent thread Brad & all.

I’m enjoying my 1st Montana in 30-06 and sure enough it’s feeding rough. I’m going to run the whole rifle thru the list of tweaks and get her ready for next season. I did find that 55gr of Imr 4350 under a 180gr anything will make big holes - which led to excited feeding which led to awareness that something wasn’t quite right.

Be well buddy!

Pints

POC, I kinda just got into the Montana's and Dave7mm mentioned using a little STP Oil treatment on the lugs, and I mean just a small bit on the finger tip. Besides lubricating the lugs, a bit of it got on the rails and probably on the follower and man, it smoothed up feeding in all 4 of the Kimber SA's. When I first started running them they were rough as a cob comparing them to 70's..

Give it a try, only out 5-6 bucks..

Semper Fi
O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Yesterday I coonfingered one of the new Montanas in 308 as part of the mid-life crisis that I'm hitting at 62.

Anyone else tried them?

Okie John

If Montana had a standing army, a 270 Win with Federal Blue Box 130's would be the standard issue.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'm pretty sure nobody buys them anymore....

Maker of the Frankenstud Sling Keeper
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I’ll have (2) new to me Montuckies this next pass and hopefully a Kimber Police Tac to boot. Hint……..

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I’ll have (2) new to me Montuckies this next pass and hopefully a Kimber Police Tac to boot. Hint……..

I was correct......

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Yep,little danger of you getting anything new,but at least you get to read about it. Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!…………..

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Yep,little danger of you getting anything new,but at least you get to read about it. Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!…………..

Buy something new......

Me.....On Wheel of Fortune
"Pat.....I'd like to buy a "new" post from Big Stick"

Pat.....
"Sorry.....Big Stick hasn't created a "new" post in a decade you lost your spin"

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Keep Pretending aloud and pardon wares that exist,as you “live” vicariously. Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!……….

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I ran that through Google translator and it said you failed 7th grade English or you are a Slavic immigrant

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Fortunately for you,Imagination and Pretend are free,so even YOU can “afford” to “contribute”…you “lucky” kchunt. Hint. Congratulations?!?

Keep Pretending aloud. Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!………….

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Free.....

Laffin

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
For context,you can cite how many times a day you think about me and how Imitation is THE most Sincere form of Flattery. Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!…………..

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
For context,you can cite how many times a day you think about me and how Imitation is THE most Sincere form of Flattery. Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!…………..

Imitate?

That's funny. Do you have a stand up act? A guy in the back with a snare drum and a cymbal?

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
How many times a day do you think about me? Hint.

What do you do for a “living”,which mandates your Whining Brokedicktitude and inability to “do” for yourself. Hint.

You are on the drums and it’s Flattering. Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!………….

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
How many times a day do you think about me? Hint.

What do you do for a “living”,which mandates your Whining Brokedicktitude and inability to “do” for yourself. Hint.

You are on the drums and it’s Flattering. Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!………….

Flattering that you are responding to my every word?

Who holds the strings? You think it's you...

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by tedthorn

I'll take all I can get. So far I've had to do a total of "jack squat" to any of them. Well, I did turn a Montana that someone put in a Hunter configuration, back into a Montana. But they all shoot. Even the hunter.

Camp is where you make it.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by tzone
Originally Posted by tedthorn

I'll take all I can get. So far I've had to do a total of "jack squat" to any of them. Well, I did turn a Montana that someone put in a Hunter configuration, back into a Montana. But they all shoot. Even the hunter.

Nah.....

I laid that bait out there for a big ol stubby!!!
She swam out and pulled my bobber under several times just like I planned

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
It is fascinatingly fhuqking HILARIOUS,that you "think" your STUPIDITY is a "secret weapon". It's simply a fhuqking plight and your vicarious "living",is a hoot! Hint.

Most recent Montucky to hit the porch(last pass). Hint.

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

Don't "forget" that Imitation is THE most Sincere form of Flattery,as you nip heels and Pretend aloud. Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!..................

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My bobber just took another run......

Predictable

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Like YOU could "afford",let alone "have" a bobber. Fortunately for you,Imagination and Pretend are free,so even YOU can "afford" to "contribute"...you "lucky" kchunt. Hint. Congratulations?!?

Montucky prior,which was the pass prior. Hint.

Imitation is THE most Sincere form of Flattery. Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!.................

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'm going to have to get a bigger stringer.....

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Keep extolling your very WELL founded Insecurities and I'll simply fuel same,with wares that exist. Hint.

Typical slow day here. Hint.

Now you can say you've "seen" a Montucky Seex Twat-Seex...you "lucky" kchunt. Hint. Congratulations?!?

Fortunately for you,Imagination and Pretend are free,so even YOU can "afford" to "contribute". Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!....................

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Predictable

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Better check to see if he didn't steal my bait.....

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Of course it's predictable. You are going to Whine Insecurities from your Couchbound Kchunt and I'm happily going to fuel them,as you "live" vicariously...you "lucky" kchunt. Hint. Congratulations?!?

STUPIDITY isn't "bait",it's a plight and them differences are stark. Hint.

Mmmmm...next newest Montucky. Lilja 8" Seex Twat-Seex. Hint.

Only have a brace(that means two) of 'em. Hint.

You Brokedick Do NOTHING Droolers,are a hoot! Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!................

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A new day.....same fish taking the same bait.

It's easy

Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 11 12

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
714 members (12308300, 160user, 11point, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 91 invisible), 2,717 guests, and 1,295 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,696
Posts18,399,917
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.