Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
One time a band camp.....

I'm still worried that 270 CorLokts won't kill stuff dead. Or if anything without a .625 BC can be shot past 100 yards. Or if Tikka's will break with all the plastic. Or if I won't get me a deer because I don't have a turret on my scope. Or that the extra pound of rifle I may be carrying will break my back. Or if a 260 can really kill me a deer. But what if I want a new rifle and I might kill me an elk one day? Or am I missing the boat because my gun doesn't have an Ackley Improved chamber? If my boolits aren't kissing the lands will I miss? Should I trade my 7RM for a 28 Nosler? I heard they were more deadly. And Leupold's fail all the time. And factory ammo is horrible. Can I still use Hoppe's #9? I like the smell. If I was looking at a deer at 300 yards and only had a 30-06, should I go home and get a 300WM instead?

Phuqq it, I quit.

GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Jeff, good grief... it's not a hard thing to take a safety off quietly...

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Like I said, its not a deal breaker but was wondering if anyone ever did any work on it to quiet it down.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'd guess a Dremel and a polishing bit would help.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A little grease/oil in the detents and a few hours in front of the TV... a few thousand flicks should quiet it down nicely.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Brad
Jeff, good grief... it's not a hard thing to take a safety off quietly...

Brad, agree with my Rem's. Piece of cake and hardly any movement required.

If my Kimber safety snapped forwards as aggressively as the OP's EW it would be a bummer... If I hunted thick stuff with it I mean. It's where that wing is located. It has to do with taking the hand out of firing position, and a bunch of excess movement, if you have to ride it forward. Neither is a good thing. Insurmountable? Of course not. But in the interest of wanting to get a rifle "right"- and I know you are as guilty of that anyone here, lol- for a guy to want to quiet a really loud safety is totally legit. IMHO of course. And we're just talkin'.

Hey is Dober doing ok? He still hang out here from time to time?

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Try putting some JB bore cleaner in the detent and working it a hundred times or so. Then just wash it out with a solvent...

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
So I need to get this straight. Wind is perfect and a fella is locked in, didn't have to move a muscle to align the scope. Been holding the rifle steady like that all morning, aiming at a magic spot where a deer will absolutely cross in front of him at some magical distance. Then suddenly has to move the safety lever and the whole scenario turns to crap because of the safety.

I never considered this and now won't be able to sleep. And now I've just found out that Leupold scopes suck and my sling is too heavy.

Now I'm really going to quit. For real. If the company that made the cough silencer could somehow make a safety silencer, I might try hunting again.

Dunno, it seems so complicated.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Oh come on...put your stinking thumb on top of the safety rather than behind the wing, and ride it forward the same as you do on a Remington.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Now THAT'S an idea.....

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If I could just get the owners of Power Bars to make a cold weather wrapper that didn't make noise, I could see getting back into the game.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
or just 'Walt Garrison' it. "Just a pinch".......

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
This is why they have to make guns "lawyer proof" these days. Guys running around the woods that can't even work a friggin safety

Originally Posted by shrapnel
I probably hit more elk with a pickup than you have with a rifle.

Originally Posted by JohnBurns
I have yet to see anyone claim Leupold has never had to fix an optic. I know I have sent a few back. 2 MK 6s, a VX-6, and 3 VX-111s.
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
If the game runs off because of your safety, you weren't going to get it anyway. I shot a 9pt buck at 15 feet, and all he did was look at me when I "clicked" the safety off. Which was too late for him at that point.

Camp is where you make it.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Some funny sh1t here! Say it ain't so that the goofy sumbeetch that can't open a bullet box can't quietly disengage a safety... Sweet Laird Jumpin' Jaysus!!!

You can no more tell someone how to do something you've never done, than you can come back from somewhere you've never been...
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by BobinNH
Originally Posted by Brad
Yeah, "loud" is relative... there's not a wing safety out there that is as quiet as a 2-pos Remington-type safety.

OTOH, there's no game situation where it would make a difference. The fussyism's of this site don't generally translate into any kind of real-world difference.

I'll stick with 3-pos wing safeties...

Thank you! Voice of reason. grin
Indeed..

Due to the position of the Rem safety it's a bit easier to slide to OFF since one can merely keep the thumb on it while moving it. But just give it a little flick from the back and it makes some noise just like any other.. The position of the M70 safety makes a one-finger-letoff a bit more problematic - which is why many use thumb and forefinger to ease it off..

However, I've hunted with M70s for over 40 years and have yet to have some animal spook merely due to the safety operation.. FWIW

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I'll take that noisy 3 position safety over a remmy safety anyday. It is just like any thing else hunting related. Practice, practice, practice. And if it is still to noisy disassemble it and work it over. My pre-64 makes noise and I have no idea how many times I have released the safety on it. My ruger 77 tangs make noise also. I have yet to have it bother a shot I was going to take. The only person who has ever mentioned that it was noisy was my son and law this thanksgiving when we were hunting mulies in montana and he was getting ready to shoot a good sized mulie and he was taking longer than I thought he should be. So I slipped the safety off and he later said he knew he had better shoot or I was going to.

Writing from the gateway to the great BluMtns in southeastern Washington.

Just remember, "You are the trailer park and I am the tornado". Beth Dutton, Yellowstone.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I've unzipped a jacket, opened up candy wrappers, stepped on a stick, walked thru the jaggers with them ripping on my coat, dropped the binos, scrapped leaves and snow away for a place to stand a spell, taken the safety off a Model 70 and who knows what else. All to look up and see a Deer realatively close; either feeding or walking along. Sometimes looking at me also. Perhaps mounting to the shoulder would have sent them quickly away, but getting the safety off wouldn't have saved them.

Said it before, the wood isn't a closed library.

Last edited by battue; 12/14/15.

laissez les bons temps rouler
M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
The "wing" safety on the M70, Kimber, etc... Is by far my favorite safety of all time. It's easy, time tested and idiot proof.

The Lord loves humility.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by battue
I've unzipped a jacket, opened up candy wrappers, stepped on a stick, walked thru the jaggers with them ripping on my coat, dropped the binos, scrapped leaves and snow away for a place to stand a spell, taken the safety off a Model 70 and who knows what else. All to look up and see a Deer realatively close; either feeding or walking along. Sometimes looking at me also. Perhaps mounting to the shoulder would have sent them quickly away, but getting the safety off wouldn't have saved them.

Said it before, the wood isn't a closed library.

Same here, battue, and by the way, hello! Hope life is good in your camp.

But though I have also seen deer be remarkably oblivious, I've had it go the other way as well.

My private land honey hole, now sadly defunct, was a great testing ground for hunting deer really close. Deer densities were high and the terrain and vegetation were ideal (for that, haha). The .358 M7 was built and scoped for that specific property and put many a deer in the freezer. Now it's dusty in the safe. I haven't hunted that way in years and might not get to again unless I seek it out. Frankly, in areas where deer densities are LOW, which would be most blacktail range, you could waste your life away sitting a trail and waiting. Or damn near. And, you'd gather little meaningful data on being close to deer because, well, you wouldn't be close to very many!

But for a decade or so there I was right there in 'em. While I can't/won't argue against your experiences, I do know what mine were, and a very loud wing safety that had an aggressive spring action would have sucked. It would be something I'd have to sort out on a rifle before I'd take it hunting- as is the desire of the OP. Why that's in the slightest bit controversial is beyond my ken. Seems like to fret over OTHER rifle details (some of them things I'd never lose sleep over) is de riguer here....?

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
Page 2 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

215 members (257 mag, 1lessdog, 12344mag, 2UP, 10Glocks, 280ACKIMP, 22 invisible), 1,435 guests, and 980 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,224
Posts18,447,532
Members73,899
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.