Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by BobinNH
Originally Posted by battue
Originally Posted by Blackheart
I promise you can't mount and fire on a deer that has you pegged before they can react.

I have and could have done so this year if it was a Deer I wanted. I moved on a couple, the only thing left out was hitting the trigger. Sometimes you don't even have to be quick about it when they have the Deer in the headlights look and are trying to figure you out. wink

The buck I killed in Kansas last week was staring at me at 50 or so yards(might have been less I did not measure it),slightly quartering on,both of us down in the trees of a draw,me on foot. I raised the rifle and shot him with no conscious memory of slapping the (M70) safety off.

He reacted alright....he died after a short sprint.

Hey there Bob!

That sounds like another hunting memory, seared into your memory! Cool. I love hunting at shorter ranges.

That said, speaking for myself, when I said what did earlier, it was about MUCH closer than 50 yards.

I think a whole lot of my formative deer hunting was atypical. Hmmm.

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
GB1

B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
I promise you can't mount and fire on a deer that has you pegged before they can react.

I have and could have done so this year if it was a Deer I wanted. I moved on a couple, the only thing left out was hitting the trigger. Sometimes you don't even have to be quick about it when they have the Deer in the headlights look and are trying to figure you out. wink
Well quit shooting curious, stupid young deer and you'll find things can be different.

B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Jeff_O
Originally Posted by BobinNH

The buck I killed in Kansas last week was staring at me at 50 or so yards(might have been less I did not measure it),slightly quartering on,both of us down in the trees of a draw,me on foot. I raised the rifle and shot him with no conscious memory of slapping the (M70) safety off.

He reacted alright....he died after a short sprint.

Hey there Bob!

That sounds like another hunting memory, seared into your memory! Cool. I love hunting at shorter ranges.

That said, speaking for myself, when I said what did earlier, it was about MUCH closer than 50 yards.

I think a whole lot of my formative deer hunting was atypical. Hmmm.

Reactions ARE much different from a deer at 30 feet than from 50 yards. They are conditioned by nature to uncoil like a steel spring from danger at super close range.

B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
Now where do you get I said anything about your bow and me reacting to your trigger release. Read it again. Quit making stuff up. You do that a lot?
Well if a deer can react quick enough to the release of an arrow from 50 feet to crouch and duck it and cause a high miss {I've had it happen myself SO DON'T try to tell me no} and you are saying it can't react to your superhuman {yeah right|, lightning fast mount then you are essentially saying you can mount and fire quicker than a 300 fps arrow can cover 50 feet. I'm not the one making shyt up. You are.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
JeffO:

Well I guess 50 yards isn't close enough....how about a buck that dressed over 200# that I snow tracked and killed at 20-30 feet. With a M70. He was so distracted with getting back to the doe that abandoned him (due to my tracking) that I think you could have lit a bomb and he would not have been deterred.

Speaking of spooked deer both of those deer knew I was behind them since I'd been after them both for close to an hour at that point. They were thoroughly spooked and on Red Alert....heard a million times you can't kill them that way either because I'm not a Benoit LOL .... smirk

Not ragging on you just making a point.

Mention using a M70 at close range around here and you get a caucauphany of cackling from some quarters who think they're the only ones who ever killed a deer at a few feet.

Like Brad said it's one of those things that might matter once in three Blue Moons.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
IC B2

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Now where do you get I said anything about your bow and me reacting to your trigger release. Read it again. Quit making stuff up. You do that a lot?
Well if a deer can react quick enough to the release of an arrow from 50 feet to crouch and duck it and cause a high miss {I've had it happen myself SO DON'T try to tell me no} and you are saying it can't react to your superhuman {yeah right|, lightning fast mount then you are essentially saying you can mount and fire quicker than a 300 fps arrow can cover 50 feet. I'm not the one making shyt up. You are.

Quick obviously isn't one of your strong points.

Addition: Thinking about it-it does help-I'd be willing to bet, you with a bow and myself with a rifle, both in the down position, I'd flip the safety off and have a shot on the way before you could draw bow, aim and release. I've watched the average person draw a bow and get ready to shoot. It is far short of quick relatively speaking. On top of that I will beat you on the subsequent shots while you are getting another arrow in ready to launch.

Admittedly I've also seen trick bow shooters who are amazingly fast. So I definitely wouldn't win every contest. wink

Also don't bow hunt, but have watched enough videos to know every Deer doesn't duck the arrow. Some never move until they feel the cut.

Last edited by battue; 12/16/15.

laissez les bons temps rouler
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I have all M70's except for 1 Rem 700 (and a couple of lever guns).. I wouldn't want any other safety and constantly have to talk myself out of not changing the 700 over to the same.

From NY to Oregon I have hunted close and far and the safety is either flicked off or if it closer type shooting I move it forward pinched between two fingers.. Maybe I am missing something?

Semper Fi
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
You are missing nothing. As someone else mentioned it isn't hard to use any of the different ones and a well made tang or Rem 700 style on whole are quieter, if one thinks it matters all that much. Some of us do not.

Myself I would prefer a tang if it was large and made to be smooth. Other than older Rugers I can't get it in an American made rifle.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I get that this thread has done the classic Campfire-morph into a mudball fight about safeties in general and even (coming soon!) rifle action types and (maybe if we luck out) enclosed v. open trigger designs..... and that there's a "it doesn't matter anyway" contingent...

..... but just out of curiosity, how many here are speaking from experience with the new, FN-built, Winchester EW?

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Hey, throw in the MRC model 70 clone while you are at it and really stir the pot. grin

Have one of them and it has the traditional louder than normal safety; in addition it has the old school model 70 trigger. A little heavy in Model 70 tradition, but close your eyes and there is little difference. Give me a choice between todays 70 and the MRC and I would lean towards the latter.

Last edited by battue; 12/16/15.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

If you can't manipulate a safety without making noise, God help you.

You're one of those who likes making simple schit hard...

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Well, with that CRF action, and open trigger, and even WITH the loud safety, you should be able to kill deer! With the rifle upside down. While cycling it. On the beach. In the blowing sand. At close range. As long as you upgrade to a bulletproof SWFA scope. And use a TSX (or are they passé here now?).

smile

Battue, I think I'd really like where/how you hunt and vice versa. Well, with that said, the High Desert Mulie bug has bit me, and my next blacktail tag will likely be hunted more as a long range affair than an uber-short range like in the past. But when the night closes over my abbreviated hunting career (I didn't start till ~ age 35) those memories of very close range hunting will burn strong. Being 25-30 feet from an alert shooter buck, heart trying to explode out of my chest, blood-dimmed tide roaring in my ears, much-needed IQ points sluffing off in droves as the adrenaline kicks in.... grin.... trying to find a way to get the feet positioned, rifle up, safety off, and Butler Creeks flipped (they can be noisy too) without blowing it all up........ good times plus-P!

Edit: Mr. Moses! Good to see you sir. How's things?

Last edited by Jeff_O; 12/16/15.

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Wow. Now this is a thread worthy of the 'fire...

I've killed dumptrucks of deer at 50 yards or less with Remmys, M70s, MKIIs, SA revolvers (click), a Marlin lever (hammer click), muzzleloaders (hammer click) and never had a deer bust out due to the subtle noise. I've used two fingers on "wing" safties and dumped Remington safties with a thumb. Never had an issue.

Guess I'm lucky. Just sayin'...

Op: YES! you can quiet the safety down if you choose not to ride it or use two fingers... Polish up the detent/break the edge. It's a simple thang. It will also help to fill the (hollow) stock with that foam chit you can buy at the hardware store. Same stuff that I use to fill in the cracks between the boards of my outhouse (eliminates drafts).

Nut

Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny.

Thomas Jefferson

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I'd rather have them a little further away and in the open a little more and most times it works out that way. Standing still is nice also. grin

B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by JohnMoses

If you can't manipulate a safety without making noise, God help you.

You're one of those who likes making simple schit hard...
It's not a matter of "can't" it's a matter of there's just no reason to bother when there are other rifles with quiet safeties.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
You know what's loud? First hunting shot of the year sans hearing protection.

Was lying prone for that this year with a big rock to my left. Sound bounced off and WHAPPED my left ear. I was listing heavily to port for while.

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Jeff is back.

Ever watched a vehicle slowly slide on the ice toward the Abyss?
You act like you are covering your eyes......but you can't look away.

Christmas came early.
Thanks, Santa.

Have Dog

Will Travel

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
It's quite a bit more painful than that...

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
What I want to know is who carries hot?

.308 or .7-08 "post your load"

Blue or Black muzzle tape?

If you carry hot with your safety on with blue tape which is gonna scare the deer first the safety or the blue tape?

And if you have a chambered round and fill your barrel with water and then stick the muzzle in your mouth and blow will water bypass the chambered round and get into the action?

I've always been different with one foot over the line.....
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by wageslave
Jeff is back.

Ever watched a vehicle slowly slide on the ice toward the Abyss?
You act like you are covering your eyes......but you can't look away.

Christmas came early.
Thanks, Santa.

Had to get my dose of snarky little deskridden shopkeeper piss ant angst for 2015. Knew I could count on you, Spuds.

Go Idaho!

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
Page 6 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

565 members (1lesfox, 10gaugemag, 11point, 007FJ, 12344mag, 160user, 56 invisible), 2,764 guests, and 1,237 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,359
Posts18,468,939
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.