Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Any way to fix this short of using two fingers to turn safety off?

GB1

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Oil?

It's official. I missed the selfie deadline so I'm Maser's sock puppet because rene and the Polish half of the fubar twins have decided that I am.

ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ μολὼν λαβέ
M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
It must have a spring and ball detent setup. If I simply push it forward it really snaps forward and makes a loud click. It will probably get quieter over time but as it is I definitely need to use my thumb and index finger to slowly slide it forward. Not a deal breaker but on my Remington 700 I can slide my safety off silently with just my thumb.

I've played around with a Kimber Montana which uses the same/similar safety as my Win and it is way quieter.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I use two fingers on M70s when trying to be quiet. Many love these safeties. I have gotten used to them, but consider them a little "clunky."

It probably will get a little smoother over time if it's a new rifle.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Some are stiffer and make more noise to operate than others. I always just use two fingers to take them off safe. If the game is close enough you already have the rifle shouldered and can only use your thumb the noise isn't really going to matter IMO

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I suggest ear plugs.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
J
All Winchesters, and to a lesser extent Rugers with the wing type safety are harder to ease off quietly. Neither good nor bad, just a quirk with the design. I can make it work with either. If that is a design feature you just can't live with then a Winchester probably just isn't for you.

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Yeah, "loud" is relative... there's not a wing safety out there that is as quiet as a 2-pos Remington-type safety.

OTOH, there's no game situation where it would make a difference. The fussyism's of this site don't generally translate into any kind of real-world difference.

I'll stick with 3-pos wing safeties...

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Brad
Yeah, "loud" is relative... there's not a wing safety out there that is as quiet as a 2-pos Remington-type safety.

OTOH, there's no game situation where it would make a difference. The fussyism's of this site don't generally translate into any kind of real-world difference.

Thank you! Voice of reason. grin

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
My beef with the Winny safety is when there's little "feel" between each position.

Last edited by turkish; 12/13/15.
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

I actually find the noise kind of handy. Several times I've had deer inside 20 yards and the click of the safety has stopped them for the shot.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Funny how things work out in reality laugh

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by BobinNH

Thank you! Voice of reason. grin

Bob, you could have written that as easily as me!

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Brad you did wonderfully! I'm tired of getting yelled at for hunting with a noisy safety. grin

What I LOVE about the SC rifles is you just punch that safety and it FLIES off! Like it's spring loaded. I love it! wink

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by BobinNH
Brad you did wonderfully! I'm tired of getting yelled at for hunting with a noisy safety. grin

What I LOVE about the SC rifles is you just punch that safety and it FLIES off! Like it's spring loaded. I love it! wink

It could be worse, you could get yelled at for hunting with a cold chamber too. grin

You're Welcome At My Fire Anytime

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by 28lx

I actually find the noise kind of handy. Several times I've had deer inside 20 yards and the click of the safety has stopped them for the shot.

I've had the noise of the safety get noticed by deer numerous times, hunting blacktail in western Oregon. I'd rather they didn't, so I practiced, and on my Remington's I can kinda ride it forward more or less silently. I can't really do that on the 3-pos wing on my Kimber, but I don't hunt blacktails in the jungle with it anyway.

It pains me to do so but I gotta disagree with Brad and Bob. There are hunting situations where a noisy safety can be a liability. Who wants to make a loud metallic CLICK when trying to get a shot on a very close deer? A few BT's I've killed, I killed them because I sat completely still and silent for an eternity... you know you are doing it right when a chipmunk runs across your boot, or a bird lands on you, both of which have happened to me.... the deer are CLOSE, everything is quiet.... Artificial noises are a tangible liability in that situation. Any kind of nylon clothing rustle, creak, or of course click will get noticed. I once missed out on a shot when the Velcro on the cuff of my jacket grabbed onto the fleecy stuff my pants were made of, and made that Velcro sound when I started to raise my arm... I killed the buck anyway but it was much harder as he was now on the alert and moving away.

Now it's very true that in my elk hunting, mule deer hunting, and even blacktail hunting where you aren't right there "in it" with them, a loud safety wouldn't matter. And that probably encompasses most hunting. But not all hunting.

(The reason you have to get in so tight with them is that in some areas, that's all there IS, and/or the deer are so nocturnal that you have to ambush them between bed and food, because you'll never catch them out in the open when it's light. You might get one as he drifts slowly from his bedding area to wherever it is he's going to feed that night. So you find active trails and sit 'em, but it is so THICK, you might only be 15, 20 yards off the trail or even less. I've had multiple deer (does, non-shooters) well under 10 feet away.)

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Oh jeez.....

Originally Posted by shrapnel
I probably hit more elk with a pickup than you have with a rifle.

Originally Posted by JohnBurns
I have yet to see anyone claim Leupold has never had to fix an optic. I know I have sent a few back. 2 MK 6s, a VX-6, and 3 VX-111s.
M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
there's no game situation where it would make a difference. The fussyism's of this site don't generally translate into any kind of real-world difference.

Sorry for wasting your time with such a question.

I'll let everyone get back to whether a spiral or straight fluted bolt is better for a hunting rifle. We should probably close the custom rifle threads too because custom rifles have no material benefit over a quality factory rifle on hunting success.

Where I hunt in NY has very thick cover so shots are usually close and a deer has a real world chance of bolting at the sound of that safety.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by mikestaten
there's no game situation where it would make a difference. The fussyism's of this site don't generally translate into any kind of real-world difference.

Sorry for wasting your time with such a question.

I'll let everyone get back to whether a spiral or straight fluted bolt is better for a hunting rifle. We should probably close the custom rifle threads too because custom rifles have no material benefit over a quality factory rifle on hunting success.

Where I hunt in NY has very thick cover so shots are usually close and a deer has a real world chance of bolting at the sound of that safety.

LOL, lighten up there Francis. We're just talking here. No reason to run off mad.

I'm also not a fan of fluted bolts grin

BTW, if the EW's safety was such a problem for you, why'd you buy it?

I have one, there are plenty ways around a noisy safety in the presence of game... just saying.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Yep. And in the thick stuff, you might only have "a" shooting lane... if the deer takes a step forward at the noise or starts to drift off you might never get another chance.

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

561 members (222Sako, 10gaugemag, 1lessdog, 007FJ, 1lesfox, 160user, 53 invisible), 2,673 guests, and 1,248 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,365
Posts18,469,021
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.