Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
I searched around on here and didn't find any alerts to this fairly new Firearms requirement in Ca. Why anyone would want to move there I don't know but if you already own Firearms and are forced to move there for some reason this is a huge heads up for those that might not be aware of it.

Firearms Information for New California Residents

Pursuant to Penal Code sections 17000 and 27560, any person who moves into California with a firearm is considered a "Personal Firearm Importer" and is required by California law to do one of the following within 60 days:

Complete and submit a New Resident Report of Firearm Ownership (BOF 4010A), pdf along with $19.00 to the California Department of Justice, Bureau of Firearms;

Sell or transfer the firearm to a California licensed firearms dealer or to another individual using a California licensed firearms dealer to conduct the transaction; or

Sell or transfer the firearm to a California police or sheriff's department. Persons choosing this option should contact the law enforcement agency for instructions prior to transporting the firearm to the agency.

Failure to comply with California law could result in criminal prosecution (Pen. Code, § 27590).

http://oag.ca.gov/firearms/ab991

I read a couple interesting things I have to wonder about on the 4010A form...

From the BOF 4010A form:

"A firearms eligibility check will be conducted to determine whether you are lawfully eligible to possess firearms. Once approved, you will receive a confirmation notice of your New Resident Report of Firearm Ownership."

I have to wonder if this is broad enough language that pretty much allows them to deny ownership for any reason they like and force you to resort to legal action to appeal it in order to now get your firearms back or keep them? I also wonder how long does this take and could approval be stalled for months?

" • Barrel Length-Enter the barrel length as stated either in your owner's manual, manufacturer's website, or measure the barrel length by closing the action of the firearm and inserting a wooden dowel down the barrel until it stops. Mark the dowel with a pen at the muzzle. Remove the dowel and measure the distance between the inserted end of the dowel and the pen mark."

https://oag.ca.gov/sites/all/files/agweb/pdfs/firearms/forms/ab991frm.pdf?

I have to question these instructions for accurate legal measurement. I'm sure most here remember what got Randy Weaver in trouble, He measured a shotgun he cut off incorrectly because he did not have a shell in the chamber when he measured the inside length. from my understanding and if I am not mistaken, Fed law states that the barrel measurement does not include the chamber right? Are they going to "assume" and judge the difference on their own and find inconsistencies in these measurements causing a hold up of some kind?

Pretty sure the whole thing is BS and Unconstitutional.

Last edited by Bugout4x4; 12/15/15.

When I no longer have the right to protect my own person or property...my person and property have become public property in common.
GB1

pal Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Move to California if you despise your own rights and the rights of others.

"There's more to optics than meets the eye."--anon

"...most of us would be better off losing half a pound around the waist than half a pound on our rifle."--dhg

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
BUGOUT4x4 -- "... Pretty sure the whole thing is BS and Unconstitutional. "

If you are moving to California, you will very, very soon learn that the U.S. Constitution is absolutely meaningless to most Calif. politicians, and their far left bureaucratic toadies.

L.W.

"Always go straight forward, and if you meet the devil, cut him in two and go between the pieces." (William Sturgis, clipper ship captain, 1830s.)
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Leanwolf
BUGOUT4x4 -- "... Pretty sure the whole thing is BS and Unconstitutional. "

If you are moving to California, you will very, very soon learn that the U.S. Constitution is absolutely meaningless to most Calif. politicians, and their far left bureaucratic toadies.

L.W.

Originally Posted by pal
Move to California if you despise your own rights and the rights of others.

Oh, and don't forget that you will pay them huge amounts of money via taxes every year for the "privilege" of giving up your rights and having them work to take away the rights of others.

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
BTW - your understanding of barrel length is completely wrong and that's not how the Fed entrapped and then killed Randy Weaver.

America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
IC B2

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
4, I read quite a bit about Randy Weaver at the time.. How did they entrap him?? If I knew I have forgotten..

Molon Labe
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by WyoCoyoteHunter
4, I read quite a bit about Randy Weaver at the time.. How did they entrap him?? If I knew I have forgotten..

FBI/ATF were investigating the Aryan Nations groups in ID. Weaver was not a part of those groups, but was a part-time "gunsmith" that had done some work for some of the member. An undercover agent approached Weaver about having him shorten a shotgun barrel below the legal limit. On tape, Weaver is heard saying "no" that he would not do that because it was illegal several times. The length of the barrel is measured from the front of the standing breech (not the end of any chambered round as was stated earlier in this thread).

Whether Weaver actually shortened the shotgun to an illegal degree was never proven, but ATF and FBI showed up days after the undercover agent was at Weaver's attempting to get him to cut it short with a shotgun that was illegally shortened, claiming that Weaver did it. The ploy by ATF/FBI was to strong-arm Weaver into introducing their moles to the head(s) of the Aryan Nation groups in the area. Weaver said "no". The Feds then arrested him for illegally altering a firearm and a host of other charges.

The Feds then had the date of his arraignment changed and failed to notify Weaver of the changes. This resulted in a bench warrant being issued against Weaver on a failure to appear and revocation of his bond against those charges. At that point, the Feds sent in their attack dogs and we got Ruby Ridge.

There is a LOT more to it, but basically the Feds wanted Weaver to commit a felony (which he likely did not do), then use that to have him under their thumb and be a rat against people in his area that the Feds wanted. When Weaver said "no", the Feds decided to punish Weaver and make an example of him; Constitution, laws, ethics, morals, etc., be damned.

B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by 4ager

FBI/ATF were investigating the Aryan Nations groups in ID. Weaver was not a part of those groups, but was a part-time "gunsmith" that had done some work for some of the member. An undercover agent approached Weaver about having him shorten a shotgun barrel below the legal limit. On tape, Weaver is heard saying "no" that he would not do that because it was illegal several times. The length of the barrel is measured from the front of the standing breech (not the end of any chambered round as was stated earlier in this thread).

Whether Weaver actually shortened the shotgun to an illegal degree was never proven, but ATF and FBI showed up days after the undercover agent was at Weaver's attempting to get him to cut it short with a shotgun that was illegally shortened, claiming that Weaver did it. The ploy by ATF/FBI was to strong-arm Weaver into introducing their moles to the head(s) of the Aryan Nation groups in the area. Weaver said "no". The Feds then arrested him for illegally altering a firearm and a host of other charges.

The Feds then had the date of his arraignment changed and failed to notify Weaver of the changes. This resulted in a bench warrant being issued against Weaver on a failure to appear and revocation of his bond against those charges. At that point, the Feds sent in their attack dogs and we got Ruby Ridge.

There is a LOT more to it, but basically the Feds wanted Weaver to commit a felony (which he likely did not do), then use that to have him under their thumb and be a rat against people in his area that the Feds wanted. When Weaver said "no", the Feds decided to punish Weaver and make an example of him; Constitution, laws, ethics, morals, etc., be damned.

I very well could be wrong, but I studied this at length several years back before sawing off one of my own Mossberg barrels to use for home defense. If it will take a 3" shell then you better measure it with a 3" shell in the chamber.

There are quite a few references to measuring, Weaver, and this issue:

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=Randy+weaver+sawed+off+a+shotgun+barrel+too+short%3F

When I no longer have the right to protect my own person or property...my person and property have become public property in common.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Bugout4x4

I very well could be wrong, but I studied this at length several years back before sawing off one of my own Mossberg barrels to use for home defense. If it will take a 3" shell then you better measure it with a 3" shell in the chamber.

You are incorrect.

Originally Posted by ATF
The ATF procedure for measuring barrel length is to measure from the closed bolt (or breech-face) to the furthermost end of the barrel or permanently attached muzzle device. Permanent methods of attachment include full-fusion gas or electric steel-seam welding, high-temperature (1100°F) silver soldering, or blind pinning with the pin head welded over. Barrels are measured by inserting a dowel rod into the barrel until the rod stops against the bolt or breech-face.
The rod is then marked at the furthermost end of the barrel or permanently attached muzzle device, withdrawn from the barrel, and measured.

https://www.atf.gov/file/58196/download

B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B

You are incorrect.

Originally Posted by ATF
The ATF procedure for measuring barrel length is to measure from the closed bolt (or breech-face) to the furthermost end of the barrel or permanently attached muzzle device. Permanent methods of attachment include full-fusion gas or electric steel-seam welding, high-temperature (1100°F) silver soldering, or blind pinning with the pin head welded over. Barrels are measured by inserting a dowel rod into the barrel until the rod stops against the bolt or breech-face.
The rod is then marked at the furthermost end of the barrel or permanently attached muzzle device, withdrawn from the barrel, and measured.

https://www.atf.gov/file/58196/download

Then I stand corrected and thank you. It is important knowledge to for all of us to keep track of. smile

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Then I stand corrected and thank you. It is important knowledge to for all of us to keep track of. smile

No problem, and yes, it is. Anything the WaffenAFTE can use against you is always good to have straight. wink

Good luck, or condolences, on your move to the PRK.

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
4, Thanks for the info..

Molon Labe
B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B

No problem, and yes, it is. Anything the WaffenAFTE can use against you is always good to have straight. wink

Good luck, or condolences, on your move to the PRK.

Luckily I moved to Az in 2001 but I had to come back over here temporarily and recently to try and uproot my 80 yr old Father from his pioneer roots that go back over a hundred years here.

But when I was a resident here I had an FFL and sold firearms for awhile. Ca regulations kept changing by the day and they tried every angle they could to stall my sales or set me up (with legal language) for a fall every chance they got. I had to finally just give up the idea and send the FFL back because to keep it you are supposed to be "actively engaged" in transferring arms. So I no longer trust one thing they put out as honest. There is always a "got ya" deception behind it of some kind.

Just wanted to share with those that might have to so that they would know what was new about bringing already owned arms into Ca. smile

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

578 members (160user, 10ring1, 1beaver_shooter, 19rabbit52, 12344mag, 10gaugemag, 65 invisible), 2,218 guests, and 1,182 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,211
Posts18,466,188
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.