Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Skeezix Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I'm in the process of purchasing a 1950 model Marlin 336 SC in .30-30 from another 'Fire member. The rifle has the "waffle top" receiver, so I'm assuming it isn't drilled and tapped for a scope, but I sorta think putting one on that fine old rifle would about be sacrilege.

With my almost as old eyes, I want to mount a receiver sight on it, because I have trouble seeing standard iron sights now, but a peep works fine still.

There are a lot of Williams FP, 5D, and Lyman 66 receiver sights available online for this rifle. I'd like your opinions and experiences as to which receiver sight is the "best" one I could put on that rifle. And if there are any sub models that I should look for (like the steel vs. aluminum Lymans), I'd like to hear about that too.

Thanks in advance.

When I get a chance tonight, after all the usual evening "honey-do's" I'm gonna drag out some of my late 60's and 70's Shooter's Bibles and Gun Digests and see what I find in there.

Bring enough gun and know how to use it.

Know that it is not the knowing, nor the talking, nor the reading man, but the doing man, that at last will be found the happiest man. - Thomas Brooks (1608-1680)
GB1

T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
My wife and I have a matched pair of waffle top SCs in 30/30. Both of ours wear Williams 5D sights simply because money was tight at the time and they are functionally fine.

That said, I've been collecting reciever sights for about 10 years and have around 50 of them from a dozen or more makers. In my opinion any model from any maker will be higher quality the older it is. Some of the nicest sights I own are from the teens and 20's. Problem is that people know that and the older sights bring pretty big money on auction sites, so if you want a nice steel sight be prepared to shell out some coin.

J
JFE Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Personally, I like the steel Lyman 66's or a Redfield.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
If you are going to use the same load in your new Marlin 336SC look into the Skinner Sights. The Skinner Sights are well thought of over at Marlin Owners.com.

Doc

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
The reality is that an aluminum Williams is going to work just as well in the field (once zeroed) as a fine, early Redfield or Lyman steel sight. Unless you are twisting the knobs in the field to compensate for long range, which is unlikely on a lever action, the aluminum sights are set it and forget it. Some models are easier to set than others but you don't need to spend a premium for an old steel sight unless you want to for nostalgic or whatever reason.

Personally, I looked for five years until I found a brand new old stock Lyman 66 for $50 for my 1957 35rem RC. I couldn't justify the going price for the old sights and don't like the look of the Williams. Now the rifle is period correct. A Williams would have performed just as well though...

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
I have a steel redfield on my waffle top marlin. I love it, shoots great and would highly recommend one. The old sights are hard to find so you might have to settle for the newer aluminum Williams or Lyman. I'm on the look out for one for my dads 30 30 myself.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I prefer the Williams FP, which is click adjustable. Their 5D is half the price and not click adjustable. I have some old Redfield and Lyman steel ones on bolt guns, but not lever actions. I prefer the Williams.

Brushbuster: "Is this thread about the dear heard or there Jeans?"
Plugger: "If you cant be safe at strip club in Detroit at 2am is anywhere safe?"
Deer are somewhere all the time
To report a post you disagree with, please push Alt + F4. Thank You.
Skeezix Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by fishermen0105
I have a steel redfield on my waffle top marlin. I love it, shoots great and would highly recommend one. The old sights are hard to find so you might have to settle for the newer aluminum Williams or Lyman. I'm on the look out for one for my dads 30 30 myself.

What is the model number for the steel Redfield that will fit those old waffle-top 336's?

Are the new production Williams FP's still good about holding their zeros, once set? I'm not a scope knob twirler, so once I'm sighted in, I won't move anything until I change to a different batch of ammo, which might take years.

Bring enough gun and know how to use it.

Know that it is not the knowing, nor the talking, nor the reading man, but the doing man, that at last will be found the happiest man. - Thomas Brooks (1608-1680)
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The new Willams FP have no problem holding zero.

Brushbuster: "Is this thread about the dear heard or there Jeans?"
Plugger: "If you cant be safe at strip club in Detroit at 2am is anywhere safe?"
Deer are somewhere all the time
To report a post you disagree with, please push Alt + F4. Thank You.
W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
I used the old Williams 5D I believe.. the first one I bought I think I paid $5.--.. Long time ago.. Still have it and works fine, once set..

Molon Labe
IC B3

T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
The 5D originally stood for 5 Dollar. They were Williams' budget priced offering and retailed for $5. Of course they are much more than that now, but are still a relatively inexpensive piece of equipment that works pretty well.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
If you want to go period correct that would be a Lyman 56 or a Lyman 66 (steel) or a Redfield.

Waffle tops are not D&T for scope mounts.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
For what its worth…

I use the 56 LA on both 336's and 1895's. Thought I'd mention that as there are several different models.

C
C
Nick Stroebel's book on old gunsights lists OM as application code for Redfield No. 102 reciever sight. I have Redfield,Lyman and Williams receiver sights om most of my lever actions and they all work.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
catskinner47

Welcome to the Campfire…

Stroebel's book is a good source of information.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

618 members (01Foreman400, 160user, 2500HD, 204guy, 257 roberts, 12344mag, 56 invisible), 2,436 guests, and 1,221 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,636
Posts18,455,269
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.