Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 14 of 14 1 2 12 13 14
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Gee, I hunt in rain all the time here...

never tape the barrel.. never have a problem..

just keep the barrel pointed down and don't stick it in the dirt...

I kind of rack this up to the same type of overkill as gunsmiths have told me for years... more people wear out a barrel constantly cleaning it than shooting it...

I have multiple rifles that I have replaced barrels on, that are chrome moly, but have never been blued.. yet I hunt with them in the rainy season...

to keep them from rusting? I just spray paint clear spray paint over them on the exposed and unexposed parts...everyone else always think they are stainless..

works just as well as putting wax on them or anything else...

just cover the metal surface and keep the interior of the barrel lightly oiled..

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

BP-B6

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
It ain't complicated, but some would like to make it so.

[Linked Image]

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Originally Posted by Seafire
Gee, I hunt in rain all the time here...

never tape the barrel.. never have a problem..

just keep the barrel pointed down and don't stick it in the dirt...

I kind of rack this up to the same type of overkill as gunsmiths have told me for years... more people wear out a barrel constantly cleaning it than shooting it...

I have multiple rifles that I have replaced barrels on, that are chrome moly, but have never been blued.. yet I hunt with them in the rainy season...

to keep them from rusting? I just spray paint clear spray paint over them on the exposed and unexposed parts...everyone else always think they are stainless..

works just as well as putting wax on them or anything else...

just cover the metal surface and keep the interior of the barrel lightly oiled..

I ain't needed a seatbelt in 20 years, but that don't mean I should stop wearing one.

Tell me the downside to having a piece of tape across the muzzle.

Oregon is a good home for many, I do hope you boys get Sponknuts also, he seems to be a fine fit.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Steelhead

I ain't needed a seatbelt in 20 years, but that don't mean I should stop wearing one.
But you could if you learned how to drive..

Tell me the downside to having a piece of tape across the muzzle.
The expense of tape?

laugh laugh laugh

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Finger condom works great.
[Linked Image]
Amazon Buy page

IC B2

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Well, since Jeff wouldn't give his, I checked and the annual avg rainfall for my 'burg is 54". And it appears to run 5-6" less where I usually hunt.

Exquisitely turdlike in all of his many manifestations!!

Resist much - obey little. Hayduke lives!

"30-06 guys don't worry about schit 'cause 30-06 guys don't worry....." 16bore

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by RatherBHuntin
I've never taped my muzzle, but am hunting in MO this sat with rain in the forcast. I'll be hunting regardless of the weather since I'm only going to be there 3 days. How should I or how should I not tape my barrel to keep the rain out yet not affect accuracy. I've never shot at the range with a taped barrel so my confidence that it won't throw the bullet impact off, is a little weak. Thanks for any feedback and pics to demonstrate. What kind of tape do you recommend? RBH

I normally use a gun condom but when the local pharmacy is out of them I use blue electrical tape. 6" piece wrapped around the barrel approx 5 " from the end , this actually reduces barrel whip. I then wrap 3" long pieces 2" from the end and a single piece across the muzzle end.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I do not normally worry about rain. The only thing I have ever used is a foam ear plug in the end of the barrel.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
someone should do a photo esay on how to correctly tape a ......

Maker of the Frankenstud Sling Keeper
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Bump for a barrel blowing classic.

IC B3

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Electrical tape. Blue 33.

Never take life to seriously, after all ,no one gets out of it alive.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Funny stuff. I run a tapcon down the muzzle coated with permatex rtv. Seals out all the water and I remove it at the end of the season. Too bad I haven't found anything to shoot at in the last 30 years, so I don't know if it hurts accuracy.

On my mini 14 I just take about 10 wraps of duct tape and leave the roll attached to the end of the barrel to improve harmonics. I can't tell if it helps because everyone knows you can't hit the broad side of a barn with a mini while standing inside the barn. I use camo duct tape for that tactical look.

Truthfully I did take a spill once and plugged the barrel of a 6mm with mud (no rod with me). Had to use 6mm twigs and river water to wash it out. I was wishing for some tape that day.

Last edited by K1500; 12/17/15.
N
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
N
I use black electrical tape but I put extra pieces on the scope tube vs. the barrel.

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Fifth
Finger condom works great.
[Linked Image]
Amazon Buy page

Flave could use those on his stiff mini.

Nut

Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny.

Thomas Jefferson

Page 14 of 14 1 2 12 13 14

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
201 members (12344mag, 257 mag, 300jimmy, 10Glocks, 300_savage, 2UP, 17 invisible), 1,537 guests, and 866 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,592
Posts18,397,911
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.