-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have several friends that have had shingles. I got the shot.

Harry
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by readonly
I had shingles last year....down my throat, in my ear. Very miserable. So I went to get the vaccine this year and they refused to give it to me. Said CDC guidelines are for 50+ and I'm a good ways off from that. Was not happy but nothing I can do.

I thought shingles was a one time deal?

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by KEVIN_JAY
I have yet to get what I feel is a strait answer from either Doc or Pharmacist, of what can happen if you get the Shot, and have never had Chicken Pox?

I'm 61, parents long gone, so don't know if I had the Pox or not. Doctor said safe to assume you had them. You know what they say about assuming. Like to get the Shot, but still not comfortable with the Idea.

If you don't whether you had chicken pox, I would forget the shingles vaccine and get the chicken pox vaccine. Shingles is painful, but chicken pox will can kill you.

N
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
N
My wife had shingles several years ago and it was really painful for her. She had both of our kids naturally so she can deal with pain but it was bad.

Not long after that I got the shot in the right deltoid and it was no problem.

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
N
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
N
Originally Posted by Pete E
I had shingles last year....down my throat, in my ear. Very miserable. So I went to get the vaccine this year and they refused to give it to me. Said CDC guidelines are for 50+ and I'm a good ways off from that. Was not happy but nothing I can do.

I thought shingles was a one time deal?

No it's not. That's why my wife got the shot after her bout with it.

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
IC B2

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Seems 60 is the census on when to get it. The vaccine, like many, isn't good 'forever'

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by RufusG
Moderator, please move this thread to the Shingles Shot forum.

Rufus, you made my day with that. Wonderful!

My late FIL had shingles, and his bout with it was awful. When the shot came out years later, I vowed to get it as soon as I was eligible to head off getting shingles. And I did.

The shot is not a 100% guarantee you won't get shingles, but it dramatically improves the odds - and minimizes the effects if you do get them.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Originally Posted by Steelhead
Seems 60 is the census on when to get it. The vaccine, like many, isn't good 'forever'

The CDC says 5 years max. During that time, it cuts the chances of getting it by 51%.

B
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
B
Yep got mine at the VA, free.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Got my shot at 59.

Insurance wouldn't cover it, But i figured it was well worth the $200. I had to pay out of pocket.

Shingles is nasty stuff.

Virgil B.

IC B3

F
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
F
You can get Shingles after the shot and again after you have had it

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger

The CDC says 5 years max. During that time, it cuts the chances of getting it by 51%.

Can you just get it every 5 years?

"Hey jackass, get your government off my freedom."
MOLON LABE
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Got it. NBD

https://postimg.cc/xXjW1cqx/81efa4c5

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Soli Deo Gloria

democrats ARE the plague.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T

That's still a good deal.

Seen some people get it on the face. Read that you can get it in one of your eyes. And it can recur.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
My Doc says that the shingles shot is a waste of money.You still have a 50% chance of getting shingles.My BIL got the shot and still got the shingles.I had them last summer.Painful for about two weeks,.Not the worse thing to happen to a person.

Its all right to be white!!
Stupidity left unattended will run rampant
Don't argue with stupid people, They will drag you down to their level and then win by experience
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
I have yet to get what I feel is a strait answer from either Doc or Pharmacist, of what can happen if you get the Shot, and have never had Chicken Pox?

I'm 61, parents long gone, so don't know if I had the Pox or not. Doctor said safe to assume you had them. You know what they say about assuming. Like to get the Shot, but still not comfortable with the Idea.

If you don't whether you had chicken pox, I would forget the shingles vaccine and get the chicken pox vaccine. Shingles is painful, but chicken pox will can kill you.

The doctor is right...back in the day, they used to have "parties" so all the kids would have it at the same time....I had to google "death by chickenpox" and it looks as though about 7,000 die (globally) each year...

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by RockyRaab
[quote=RufusG]Moderator, please move this thread to the Shingles Shot forum.

Rufus, you made my day with that. Wonderful!

+ 1,got a good laugh out of that one,,

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by batch
Yes, get it. It was in the jected underside my upper arm and stung a little. By the third day I Couldn't move my arm much it hurt so bad. I'm not normally a wimp about vaccines but DANG it hurt. Having had shingles before the shot was well worth it and I'd do it again.

Somebody didn't like you...

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Both parents had shingles, mother in her hair and on her face, narrowly escaped it progressing to her eye. It was exceedingly painful for her, my dad got it on his side and did not seem to complain about it too much. Must have been a mild case, I got my shingles shot at age 60.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
All in all, Zostivax is a good idea. The 60+ age recommendation didn't come from research, it came from a bureaucratic decision (IIRC, it was the Feds) because there wasn't enough vaccine to get everyone down to age 50 (which was the age the research said was ideal). You can get the vaccine at any age if you're willing to pay for it, and at $200, it's not a huge expense.

The bottom line is that it reduces your chance of getting Shingles by about 50% (lifetime risk), but more important than that, it reduces the severity of pain and disfigurement by 60-70%, and there does not appear to be a lifespan on that protection. I don't know where that "5 year" number came from, I haven't seen anything to support that in the medical literature on that.

But yes, you can still get shingles if you've had Zostivax. It happened to me... I got shingles less than 6 months after I got the shot, in my left ophthalmic nerve. I reported it here on the 24HCF, but the summary is this: pain came on about bedtime, and by 0400 it was excruciating... burning, throbbing, stabbing pain in my temple area to the edge of my eye which I'd call a solid 9 out of 10 on the pain scale. I took a strong pain pill and it reduced it slightly (to 7/10), and in the morning I called an optometrist here on the 'Fire who called in a Rx for Valtrex. Within 2 hours of starting the Valtrex the pain dropped to 1-2/10, and stayed that way for 5 or 6 days. I went to an ophthalmologist and he said he could see a few very small Herpes zoster lesions inside my eye, but no lesions ever broke out on the skin, cornea or anterior chamber of the eye. He rechecked me a year later and there was no scarring and my vision was unaffected.

Comparison to pre-Zostivax results: my ophthalmologist colleague told me that prior to the vaccine, he had never seen anyone with ophthalmic shingles have as good an outcome as I had; and since he saw me, he's seen half a dozen more similar cases.

Consider that of the locations that shingles breaks out, the ophthalmic nerve is second most common (most common is the chest/high abdomen), and without question the most painful. I've had people on high-dose narcotics, steroids, and nerve agents for 6 months after an attack of ophthalmic shingles. No thank you, I'll take the Zostivax!

"I'm gonna have to science the schit out of this." Mark Watney, Sol 59, Mars
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

584 members (160user, 1minute, 007FJ, 01Foreman400, 10gaugeman, 204guy, 64 invisible), 3,226 guests, and 1,200 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,532
Posts18,452,941
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.