Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 12 of 14 1 2 10 11 12 13 14
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
That's great stuff SamO.....enjoyed that very much.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by SamOlson
I just have the pre-school dots.

But they work uber-good for chip shots in the wind.

I had shot a 243 before the 270 so had a little idea on the Kentucky wind-age but hadn't shot the rifle since pulling the stock about a month ago. Happy to see zero POI shift.

Tacti-tard sniping!

Rez Style. grin

You most likely had a POI shift when you pulled the stock but lucky for you your POS Leupold also shifted the exact right amount to bring everything back to POA/POI.

John Burns

I have all the sources.
They can't stop the signal.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
WTF is a wondering zero?

TRUMP- GABBARD 2024
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by ringworm
WTF is a wondering zero?

Guy who posts here by the name of Savage 99....

A wise man is frequently humbled.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by jt402

I have nothing against you guys paying Nightforce prices for glass. My hunting style does not require same. Leupolds have worked for me.

Your post says a lot. Out here in the west long range shots are very common. I have no desire to try hold over at 400+. Dialing is science. If I hunted in the thick woods, I would probably just buy a Leupold or similar. They are fine as an aiming tool, not worth dick for spinning though. They just aren't built for it. A turret on a Leupold is like mud tires on a prius.

I read recently where Sig Sauer came out with a line of turreted scopes, and they hired a guy from Leupold to spearhead the division. I wonder if they will suffer the same problems as Leupold, or if he knew enough to not repeat their shortcomings?

IC B2

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
If Sig Sauer's scope line is 10% as successful as Leupy's it'll be a grand slam.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Did anyone ever figure out what exactly breaks? Saw some pics but wasn't quite sure what I was seeing. Looked like lose lenses or something.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by smokepole
Originally Posted by ringworm
WTF is a wondering zero?

Guy who posts here by the name of Savage 99....

laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh

Smokepole...you Da MAN!!

LMAO!!

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by 16bore
Did anyone ever figure out what exactly breaks? Saw some pics but wasn't quite sure what I was seeing. Looked like lose lenses or something.

I can only speak of what went haywire with mine, but seems like the paper work always said "replaced erector assembly." On another I had that and the objective lens came lose.

On another I had an M1 installed, and it would move poi 3/4" at 100yds per click...I gave up after that.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
This is what I don't understand. How the hell can the same mechanical parts do two different things in two different scopes? Reckon I'll have to try and Google and exploded view or something. Normally I just take schit apart, but wouldn't touch a scope.

IC B3

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Guess I'll chime in on this thread. This is MY experience. I am making no assertions about the experience of any others. I am not trying to convince anyone of anything, just reporting what I have seen first hand. Use it for what its worth to you.

I do or oversee a lot of annual zero confirmations for my friends (very convenient range, a few steps from the back door). Most all scopes are Leupolds with the Zeiss Conquest being the next. All of these scopes are capped, i.e., no dialing. I dont specifically track the numbers but of the socpes that I oversee, I am certain that more scopes than not change POI/lose zero every year, a large percentage being a major shift.

These scopes have endured what I like to call Red Neck abuse. Carelessly thrown in trucks, bounced around on ATV's, etc. They have not been pampered. But certainly, as a general rule, they are highly susceptible to POI shifts.

I find this to be very much in line with what Prairie Goat has reported seeing from the average Bubba.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Scopes going tits-up ain't the only thing that can cause "POI shift".... Rings, Bases, Base screws, action screws, etc..... can all cause schitt to go haywire. Tendency is to blame the scope.... especially in this forum.... but IME, it's more often something mechanical with the rifle/mounts.

Like DC, my faulty Leupolds have always come back with a note about the "erector assembly replacement".

You better pray to the God of Skinny Punks that this wind doesn't pick up......
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Dogshooter, I also personally mount all of these scopes, lap if needed, and use a precision torque wrench. I am meticulous. Most all rings are Talley LW's and unless they break, or the screws over tight, the rings aren't the problem. None of the rings were broken and all screws were properly torqued. Likewise with the action screws, and most all have been properly bedded. There has been no change in loads, which you guessed it, I do most the loading too, and if not, then its the same factory ammo.

It most definitely is the scope.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I've had Talleys move a bunch..... even from stuff as stupid as a rifle falling over after being leaned on a tree. All that's holding Talleys in place is friction.... look at the base screws, and the hole in the base for said screw.... whatever slop is there, and there's always some there, is your POI margin of error. Unless they're bedded, Talleys can/will move.... which causes issues.

No offense..... but it sounds to me like the only common denominator with all those systems you mentioned..... is you. And, "because I mounted them" isn't exactly a compelling argument for exoneration of the mounting system.

Just take a little punch, and give one of those Talleys a light tap with a mallet. Now go see of your POI is the same. Seems this pretty simple test will show if the scope is the culprit.... or if the bases/rings are the issue. I like Talleys... and I use them a lot..... but, I bed them to the receiver.... so as to avoid the issues I've seen.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Dog, agree with you on the margin for error with scope mounting, torquing, screws, etc. I've become very partial to Leupy dual dovetails and Burris Sig rings.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Unless your bases are bedded/pinned/milled into the receiver.... you're still relying on friction.

I had a Supper Sniper 3-9 on my .260 that tended to wander a bit. One day, in the presence of one of the Leupold defenders on this post, it fell over while it was leaning on the tailgate. It wasn't on paper after the fall. On the suggestion of said Leupold "fan boy", I took it home and JB Welded the bases to the receiver... same Talleys, same scope. After that, I don't remember ever having to re-zero it.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
No offense..... but it sounds to me like the only common denominator with all those systems you mentioned..... is you

Let me get this straight, my first post said This is MY experience, so I'd have to agree 100% with your above statement. Obviously, no offense taken. I get my experience first hand. Believe what you choose. I have more than a little experience. It is not the rings, but I'm not trying to convince you of it. Everyone else can use their own judgement. I would say in half the cases the rings ARE BEDDED. I did a lot of hanging out with the Colonel Billy Stephens whose shop was a few miles from me. He is a regular on the World Cup team. The man knows about accuracy. In his words, NEVER, I mean NEVER, trust a Leupold. The only reason he suffered them was that it was the best choice to make weight. At the time some were using/testing a system with fixed crosshairs in the Leup and adjustments in the rings! Go figure.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
ct.... I believe you, I'm just pointing out there's a lot of stuff that can cause POI shifts.... and a lot of them don't have anything to do with the scope.

I never trust ANY scope that hasn't proven it'll work.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Doorbell just rang. A buddy. About to mount a Leup 6x on a brand new MRC 308 and get it dialed in. Great timing!

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
This thread has taught me I am the most fortunate sonofabitch to ever buy a rifle.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Page 12 of 14 1 2 10 11 12 13 14

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

83 members (10gaugemag, 300_savage, 44automag, 5sdad, 406_SBC, 444Matt, 11 invisible), 2,252 guests, and 794 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,173
Posts18,465,386
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.